Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
2014 World Champion?
This poll is closed.
Valentino Rossi 13 19.40%
Jorge Lorenzo 13 19.40%
Dani Pedrosa 8 11.94%
Marc Marquez 33 49.25%
Total: 67 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
Voted MM because there's no way a guy that good on his rookie year doesn't get tremendously better in consecutive years. It's going to be Stoner in 2007 all over again.

That said, I'm cheering for anything not MM. Would be awesome to see Dani do better but that seems unlikely. I suspect JL is going to be the closest one to beat MM again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

nsaP posted:

A reminder of the funniness of fate. Marquez crashed a lot (I want to say nearly 20 times at least?) but was relatively uninjured. DP and JLo had like 3 crashes each but both managed to break a collarbone at key times.

MM is also a fair bit younger and has presumably crashed less throughout his career. I think the older riders get more serious injuries more easily because their bodies are already fairly beat and broken and have put a lot of strain on their bones and muscles.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Un-loving-believable crash on lap one for JL. What a lovely way to start the season. Was really hoping for first for Rossi by the end of the race, but oh well.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Nicky looks cool too but it sort of has that alien-in-70s-movie look.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

xzzy posted:

some kind of failsafe mode would be included so the rider could try and stay in the race.

I think there obviously was one because he continued to race, but being at the disadvantage of not having corner specific handling made him less competitive. Not sure about the end of the race though, that was weird. My guess is the electronics was just a cover story.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

I would guess because motorcycle use is possibly less prevalent in the US and therefore fewer people are interested in motorcycle racing. I have no stats to back that up, though.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Shimrod posted:

Yeah, they did, but not that much.

I seem to remember two quite lengthy pre-race segments in a single year from the BBC on Cal, plus the constant lengthier interviews with Cal on the grid.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

I liked it when Ben Spies was in the box for a race, that was cool. He should do that more.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Colin would be the best, he'd probably talk about whatever beer or scotch he had in the box with him the whole time.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

I forgot that Colin was a superbike champion, I'm surprised he (and Ben Spies) didn't do better in MotoGP. Is the competition just much better in MotoGP?

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Laughed hard at this. Race was lovely, probably most boring in a long time. Glad I didn't try to fly and go see it.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Was Ben the guy with a Texan accent on the Fox broadcast?

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

I didn't think so but wasn't 100% sure. Glad it wasn't because they sucked. Weren't even getting riders' names pronounced correctly.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

MetaJew posted:

There was a survey sent out by CoTA after the race. This was one of the questions. Out of touch much?

To be fair, they're probably asking for advertising purposes that don't care about people who are overly price sensitive about their car. You don't have to advertise Kias to enthusiastic motorists.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

I think it's odd how big of an impact it has, though. Look at how much Crutchlow dropped in the first race after his hosed up and started thinking he was a corner off from where he was.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

I think it's hard to say he was being a baby there when we have no context. The riders have a certain level on intensity and though it looked like he was pissy about his helmet having a tag on it that it's always had, maybe his tone was just that way because he was focused on getting everything right. Telling someone to write something down that they've forgotten once already isn't being a baby, and we have no way of knowing why he was late for his flight. Comparing him to Marquez, who's smiling and taking photos, is dumb - Marquez is on top the world and doesn't need to improve to win. JL has a ton of improvement to do if he's going to contend for the title this year. Obviously they have different attitudes.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Definitely a fun race at the start. Will be interesting to see if MM does another race start in 1st to a race win four times in a row, I wonder if that's been done before. The guys on One were saying the three in a row he did today was the first time since like 1971 or something for premier class.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

I think Stoner's been off the bike too long to be competitive with MM. He'd still be good though and probably give JL competition. CS at his peak versus MM, though - if I had to guess MM would still be ahead.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

I was under the impression that test riding wasn't a very vigorous schedule but I have no reason for thinking that I guess.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Doesn't really say why anywhere, maybe it's just expensive.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Let's just get rid of tires all together. Bare metal wheels on the track. Sparks everywhere, no lean angles.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Why are there fuel limitations in MotoGP? It seems like it would just drive development costs up for engines because you're throwing another hurdle in the mix. It's not like sportbike owners care about their fuel mileage.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Who's won the most races in a row in the premier GP class? I see Doohan did 10 in a row in 1997, has anyone beat that?

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

With family this weekend and was watching BBC News which I never do at home. Then race spoilers! Out of nowhere! God drat BBC!

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

I watched the Fox Sports broadcast and thought it was going to be terrible, thankfully they switch off to Gregory Harris, Dillon Grey, etc for the actual race. Race was boring aside from the start.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Is that follow up surgery to the one he had earlier this year?

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Rumors that Lorenzo might go to Ducati seem pretty funny. Talk about killing your career. It must be a pretty big bummer to be anyone other than MM right now though, knowing you probably won't win a championship for at least a few years.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Probably easier said than done but if I was Stoner I'd tell my manager to deal with all the poo poo that isn't riding a bike. With millions of dollars anything is possible. Seems like you can avoid getting involved in the politics if you instruct everyone on your team to leave you out of it.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Stoner was at Philip Island and got some interview time, he made it pretty clear that he'd never be back (unfortunately). The commentators said after being gone 2 years he'd likely struggle to get back as good as he was, and probably wouldn't want to come back with MM dominating so much.

Tire issues suck, but still leaps and bounds better than the season-long tire wars back when there were two manufacturers.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Thanks for spoiler free, I clicked here not realizing there was a race today.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

If I had lots of money I'd buy a fleet of moto3 type bikes and rent a track for a day for me and bunch of cool dudes. They look like so much fun.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

I feel so bad for being a Stoner hater back in the day.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Good season. Would be cool in a couple years if the Marquez brothers race each other in MotoGP. Really disheartening finish for Lorenzo, what a crappy way to finish the season. He sort of had to do it, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

How is it that Rossi's ability to qualify sucks compared to his ability to have a competitive race pace?

• Locked thread