Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
2014 World Champion?
This poll is closed.
Valentino Rossi 13 19.40%
Jorge Lorenzo 13 19.40%
Dani Pedrosa 8 11.94%
Marc Marquez 33 49.25%
Total: 67 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

This is Rossi's comeback/swan song victory tour! Who's with me?

*crickets chirp*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Wouldn't that let him take corners faster? :v:

Maybe they could put a giant sail on his bike. Or use last week's tires.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Collateral Damage posted:

And lol at Crutchlow running out of gas on the finish line.

I liked how he was trying to keep it going by bouncing up and down.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

hayden. posted:

Un-loving-believable crash on lap one for JL.

What is up with that corner? The commentators were giving statistics for how many people drop their bike there, it's by far the most crash prone corner in MotoGP.

It doesn't seem like a particularly tricky bend, but I'm not a top tier racer so what do I know.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Speaking of looking great, I'm convinced Rossi had the best looking ride. The blue goes really well with the neon he uses. Can't wait to try and get pictures of it at Indy.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Unfortunately trying to follow a specific story in a twitter feed is one of the most painful activities I can imagine. Unless I need to know RIGHT NOW what's going on it's much easier to just wait for the regurgitation blogs to nicely format it.

That the electronics can interfere with the bike operation enough to make it unusable is pretty odd to me. Obviously these things work 99% of the time so it's not a huge issue but it seems like some kind of failsafe mode would be included so the rider could try and stay in the race.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I don't really consider myself a hardcore racing fan though I certainly keep tabs on a lot of it, and it's surprising how many of those tracks I recognize and can name from memory.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's pretty mind blowing to watch them ride in person. Only "racing" I've ever done is in video games and even there I'm all the gently caress over the place on every corner. But the top MotoGP guys will hit the exact same apex on any given corner at the exact same lean angle every single time. Each rider is subtly different in their position, but they stick to their line without fail.

I'm not sure they're human, they're robots or something.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Watching moto2 go sideways on turns 11 and 12 was pretty fun. Moto3 was a heck of a race too.

MotoGP.. eh. Good ride by Marquez obviously and the jump start was comedy but the rest was a snoozer.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Traction control is a major reason the modern MotoGP bikes perform as well as they do.. we'd see a lot more rider mistakes without it because even as skilled as they are the margin of error is minuscule so computers are necessary to keep the machine pointed the right way.

Compare with Moto2 which has the electronics dramatically reduced.. they're frequently sliding all over the place.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My solution is to watch prototype racing for the world records and fanfare, then attend local racing events to get the real oil-under-the-fingernails type of racing.

Go to a lemons or chump car race sometime, it's a heap of fun. Not sure if there's any motorbike equivalents out there but I imagine there must be.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah the gps stuff is pretty lame. I'm all for keeping riders right side up but programming in the ability to get perfect power and braking for each turn isn't really related to that.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm not the first person that's said it: only Marquez can beat himself. There's absolutely no one out there that can hold a candle to him. A busted collarbone is about the only way to give anyone else a chance.

Though the first four laps were pretty loving exciting, they need to find a way to make that happen every single race.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Bridgestone taking their ball and going home after 2015:

http://www.motogp.com/en/news/2014/Bridgestone+to+withdraw+from+MotoGP+after+the+2015+season

Of less interest to me is who's going to replace them, I'm curious what a less tested tire will do to the racing.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's to limit engine output.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's definitely fun to watch.. only bummer is that Rossi isn't 15 years younger. Imagine him and Marquez going head to head in his prime. :v:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Snowdens Secret posted:

Now if only Marquez would grow a big full head of hair

He doesn't want the added weight, it's why he's so fast.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Race did make for an interesting case study about top qualifiers starting at the back of the grid. :v:

Kind of makes qualifying pointless but it created a lot more passing which is great on TV.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

So Indy got a whole lot faster. :stare:

Hopefully rain stays away, it's in the forecast for the rest of the weekend.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah, indy is a great place that makes it easy to be a spectator. Shame their track is kind of a stinker. :v:

I've had more fun here with a camera than anywhere else in a long time.. Indy is really good about giving fans as much viewing area as safety will allow.

Exact opposite of COTA.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Goddamn Moto3 never fails to entertain.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Moto2 was a little less exciting because of the restart, but MotoGP was pretty darn great. When Rossi was in the lead, every time he came up the front straight a wave of cheers preceded him.

That was before the inevitable happened. :v:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

n8r posted:

Turn 1 is pretty amazing at Indy.

Yeah, I spent the races on the inside of turn 1 and it was pretty epic. Hard on the brakes, lots of passing, and once they were done with that you got to watch the whole pack wind through the tight corners and gun it up that short straight between turns 4 and 5.

The smoothed out turns looks really good too, the bikes look gorgeous weaving through them.

xzzy fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Aug 11, 2014

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

NGM wins the best looking bike of 2014 award, man that thing looks good going around the track.

:3:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

n8r posted:

I think it's all the empty grandstands. If motoGP was somehow able to fill those stands it'd be an amazing atmosphere.

I can't imagine what kind of clusterfuck of humanity that must be. Dealing with all those people already felt like a chore.. it took me like 45 minutes just to get out of the parking lot.

Filling that place must gently caress the entire city over.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

NeuralSpark posted:

I've parked in the out-of-business strip club parking lot directly across the street from the east entrance for the last 3 years, and it's never taken me more than a few minutes to get out. What lot were you in?

This year I was in lot 2, directly west of the pagoda. It was nice for not having to walk far but that's about it.

Traditionally I've done the free infield parking which isn't super bad.. it's slow, but not glacial. The real problem is the police set up blocks to push you north into the neighborhoods and traffic just never moves.

Maybe I'll try the east side next year. :v:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Marquez tired of the press babbling about records, decides to phone the race in today.

I'm right there with him, he could have made a better show of it though. :v:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

First it was knees, then elbows, and now asses? What will the next generation of MotoGP riders put to the pavement? Heads?

I dig how the front tire is in the air on the third pic, no biggie, just lay down throttle and power out of it!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah it's a dumb meme thing but last time I read up on it (like two weeks ago, before this whole thing really took off), donations to ALS research were up like 3000%.

So basically be prepared for viral donation drives to become the norm.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

It annoys me so much that someone didn't have a high speed video camera on him when that happened. In this day and age.

I think they only have one or two slow motion cameras, and they move around the track during the race to get different shots. I've seen them a couple times at Indianapolis.. it takes them like 5 minutes to haul in the gear and set up. Then they get their shots, and reverse the process.

The odds of catching awesome moments are pretty small. :smith:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I think it shows why Marquez is so fast.. he's even smaller than Rossi. Also no stubble, he's more aerodynamic.

Should put Peter Dinklage on a bike and see what he can do.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

BitcoinRockefeller posted:

Imagine I'm Randy Mamola lecturing you about how the taller guys have more leverage on the bars and can move their ten pound heads around farther in search of the best balance to gain a few thousandths per corner.
Meanwhile, some 75 pound shrimp blows past him in the straight because he can accelerate faster. :v:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Hey look, a destroyed bike that's not Barbera's fault!

http://gfycat.com/IllinformedWarmheartedHoiho

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Collateral Damage posted:

:stare: Is that from today's FP?

Yep, FP1. Apparently those leathers don't do poo poo to protect against fire:

https://twitter.com/MotoGP/status/515535744765812736/photo/1

:stare:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Shame about Fox Sports deciding no one wants to watch it and eliminating it from their channel.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

n8r posted:

Probably one of the better GP races to happen in some time. It's hilarious how bad the rain strategy in GP is compared to something like F1.

You can do a lot more to mitigate water with four tires and comical amounts of downforce. :v:

I'm not sure MotoGP should race in the wet at all, though I imagine that's economically infeasible.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Pedrosa trying a new approach on turn 11:

https://gfycat.com/CalmLimpingCrow

I don't blame him for loving up, it'd be impossible to count how many times I've screwed that corner up in Forza.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

nsaP posted:

Yep, and stuff goes wrong all the time. They're called racing incidents or mistakes and no one has ever whined about them.

Actually whining about them is part of the established routine. :v:

• Locked thread