Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
2014 World Champion?
This poll is closed.
Valentino Rossi 13 19.40%
Jorge Lorenzo 13 19.40%
Dani Pedrosa 8 11.94%
Marc Marquez 33 49.25%
Total: 67 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Marquez did dislocate his shoulder last year. Not nothing by any means.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

The night races look great and it's a good start to the season. I think Qatar deserves it's place on the GP calendar at least from a fun to watch on TV perspective.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Weren't they a fair bit closer time wise than they were last year (too lazy to actually look).

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

The US has two GP races so MotoGP is doing pretty well in the states when compared to say ~2000 when we had a world champion and no races. Motorcycle racing will always be a niche sport here in the states and I'm fine with that. The real danger MotoGP faces right now is nobody but the Spanish is breeding much in the way of new young riders. Lots of Spanish national anthems being played in all three levels of MotoGP.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

The fact of the matter is trying to create parity by going 'spec' everything just means that Honda/Yamaha will figure out new ways to spend their budgets. Look at F1 when the engines/tires were frozen and they just proceeded to spend everything on aerodynamics. The easiest/cheapest way to tighten up the fields is to nerf the tires. The bridgestones (when they don't fall apart) perform at such a high level it's very hard for anyone that isn't the best of the best to compete. Look at a race circa 2006 and circa 2014 - a hell a lot of the performance is down to just how amazing the tires are now.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I thought they got rid of GPS stuff a few years ago and now do the corner by corner stuff via tracking the mileage or some other means. I think Bayliss winning the last race of 2006 was impressive but it shows how good the 2006 Ducati was not how good Bayliss was (he was a good superbike rider, no opinion on his GP performance). If Capirossi hadn't been tangled up in the crash with Gibernau he probablly wins the 2006 championship.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

BitcoinRockefeller posted:

A video of Jorge being a big baby at Austin that was on the MotoGP page but got pulled at Yamaha's behest, reposted by a helpful fan for your enjoyment.

Didn't think Jorge was being a baby, just rattled. Dorna should put stuff like this out on a weekly basis. Actually build some stories / personalities up about the riders.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Slim Pickens posted:

That's easy, take away traction control. Better yet, put them back on 2-strokes.

Edit: Maybe a single ECU will level things, we'll see,

Google Mick Doohan then get back to me.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Slim Pickens posted:

Oh fine, make everyone ride a Ducati then. That'll even things out for a while.

Casey Stoner could come back and win every race.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Pretty sure the tire brands want a tire war and to beat their competition. I am not sure about the financial arrangements but obviously Bridgestone was devoting a large amount of money to the cause. Strangely enough some of the best racing in MotoGP since I've been watching happened during the 'tire war'. The reason that there isn't still competition in the tires is that people thought WSBK was doing it better and the 2007 GP season was a real oddball season. Honda and Yamaha both underestimated how fast of a bike they really needed and so a lot of the blame went onto Bridgestone. Stoner had come out of nowhere so he was not getting much credit for the performance he was putting in.

I think MotoGP is just starting to dip it's tows into the water of attempting to manufacture clue racing via rule making. Sort of like F1 it will take them a while to really figure out the proper balance between rules and having the manufacturers still happy. I think they could have a tire war and be just fine and I think they can move onto another manufacturer single make system as well.

My feeling is the best setup for GP going forward is to go the Pirelli F1 route and have a brand make tires that frankly aren't that good. It'll slow the riders down a bit and you probably won't see the crazy lean angles but it will make the racing closer. I think the same 3-4 guys will be winning it all but maybe we'll see them mix it up a bit more.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Snowdens Secret posted:

I definitely do not think the tire makers want a war, because odds are they'll be the loser.

Not true sorry this isn't the case. At least not when this whole thing was going down. The tire makers wanted a multi make series - it was said over and over.

Edit:
Also I'm pretty sure Bridgestone spends 20m on their tire program to give the tires free to the Motogp teams. I can't find anything that says they pay Dorna a thing.

n8r fucked around with this message at 14:39 on May 4, 2014

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Huewen/Ryder are terrible. They are constantly arguing and Huewen is constantly cutting Ryder off. I prefer the other English language guys over this combo.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Snowdens Secret posted:

The Michelin announcement had this tidbit:

Are they not running 17" wheels now? Is that part of the reason tires cost so much?

No / No

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

How did they all settle on 16.5 as an ideal wheel size for racing?

No idea. I'd imagine it's a carryover from the 80s if not earlier. It wasn't until the 90s that sportbikes settled on 17s iirc.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I did a little more looking around and it looks like there is no good reason for 16.5:
motomatters.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1093

I'm pretty sure you could obtain similar contact patches between 16.5 and 17 depending on how you construct the tire.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

WTF happened to Lorenzo?

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I'm not following the pricing or the number of bikes sold. No way they sell 100 bikes just in the MotoGP grid so I'm guessing they are going to do a Desmosedici style bike as well as a full GP bike?

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Steel frame GP sounds cool. Worked well for Ducati for a time. I wonder what sort of tech KTM uses to control the consistency of the frame stiffness, since that was a complaint with the Ducati steel bike. That may be a problem they don't encounter with the lower power moto3 frame that they will have to figure out with the GP model.

Needless to say that MotoGP in 2017 with new tires and the control ECU will be a different ballgame than it is today.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

krushgroove posted:

Dovi and Iannone should be the factory riders next year, since Stoner they're the only ones who have been able to get on it and not fall off. Some bikes just fit some riders, and struggling to change something into what it's not is just futile.

I believe all four Ducati riders will be on virtually the same gear next year.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Spiffness posted:

I usually trust moto-matters which says that there is funding at LCR honda for a 2nd bike, and they've wanted to run two and that nothing is official yet on Bradl, but it can probably go either way. I like Bradl, but in the Marc Marquez world, consistently almost podium isn't enough for anybody.

Interesting.

I bet we see Bradl outperform Crutchlow. I don't rate Crutchlow very highly and I think Bradl is a solid albeit not top tier rider. I'd be surprised Bradl goes anywhere until there is another obvious German rider to take his place. Passports matter in motoGP especially for mid pack riders.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

The revised Indy track is very good. The turns still look a bit the same but such a huge improvement to the racing.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Laguna was slow and passing was practically impossible on most parts of the track. It had the Rossi/Stoner battle which was great but it's had a bunch of real clunkers. Assen is flat as poo poo but considered a real classic. I'm not saying the Indy track is Assen but it was a huge improvement with at least some interesting sequences of corners. Turn 1 is pretty amazing at Indy.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Laguna wasn't too bad once they got the bussing figured out, but the paddock will always be an issue. I do not think that is the reason why the smaller classes didn't run. I believe there was a special arrangement made with lower fees so they could get the race there. MotoGP is still pretty much a nothing sport in the USA but it was really nothing in 2004 at the first Laguna race.

If you took laguna and made the entire track layout about 1.5x the size it is now it'd be an amazing circuit. Indy is one of the special cases of having a huge infrastructure built around it. I'm still really sad that I didn't make an Indy trip happen prior to 125/250s going extinct.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I think it's all the empty grandstands. If motoGP was somehow able to fill those stands it'd be an amazing atmosphere.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Probably one of the better GP races to happen in some time. It's hilarious how bad the rain strategy in GP is compared to something like F1.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

xzzy posted:

You can do a lot more to mitigate water with four tires and comical amounts of downforce. :v:

I'm not sure MotoGP should race in the wet at all, though I imagine that's economically infeasible.

That's not what I was talking about. In particular F1 teams have crazy forecasting and stuff like that. The GP teams go outside the paddock and hold their hands out it seems.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I wonder if Marquez will be the Rossi of his generation... He's definitely got the personality for it.

I think it will be interesting to see if Lorenzo and Rossi can continue to step up their game. I think there is a very good chance either of them will give Marquez some trouble through the end of this season and next year. If I had to guess by looking at some of the elbow down stuff we've seen from the other riders that they are learning/using some of Marquez's own tricks.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

MM is a very similar rider to Stoner imho but far less temperamental. I think MM would put a few questionable passes on him and he'd be off whining about stomach problems similar to 2008. One of the best things about racing or sport in general is debating whether or not riders from different generations would compete well against each other. I'd say if you use Rossi and Lorenzo as benchmarks, Stoner would be competitive but not necessarily world beating against the current field. I enjoy MM for his style and I think you can see other riders have begun to mimic some of the techniques he uses. Put Casey on the Ducati that Cal was riding at PI and he wins the race, without a doubt.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Miller appears to be doing a bit of what MM was doing a few years ago in moto2. Miller's KTM was clearly slower than the Hondas out there. He was doing everything in his power to win the race and gently caress up AM. MM had to do similar things on his Suter because it was not as good at the Kalex bikes he was competing with. If anything the weaving that was going on in certain parts of the tracks imho seems more objectionable than block passing people. I think Miller is showing why he's being given a GP ride next year. He's not only fast, he's a smart racer and willing to race hard to win. Everyone was saying that when Marquez got to GP he'd get taught a lesson, that isn't really how things turned out...

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Ya'll are forgetting that when Pedrosa and Lorenzo came into GP they were owning right off the bat. Spies was drat fast right off the bat as well despite it not turning out as well for him. Most guys that show up these days and are mid pack seem to stay mid pack. The reason they stay in GP is usually because they have the proper passport to help sell the race in their home country. The PI race has seen lovely attendance since Stoner left the scene. Getting Miller to to the top class will help sell that race.

I think what we'll start seeing moto3 riders getting promoted to open class bikes more often. The path they will follow will probably be similar to Scott Redding's path where if you're winning open class you'll get a real factory bike eventually.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Pics / Story on Casey testing the new RC213V up on motomatters. Regardless of what you may think of Casey personally, it's got to make everyone miss the dude racing. The championship imho has been pretty good this year, but with Casey riding it'd just be that much better.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

If you care at all about rider personalities then you should be watching WWF/WWE not motorcycle racing.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

echomadman posted:

I don't know how some of you think rider personality isn't a factor in enjoying their racing, you might as well watch robots riding camels if you don't care about the interpersonal poo poo between the riders.

edit: I cant wait for the newest sour faced aussie to come to motogp, If you thought Marquez pulled some hare brained passes in his career Miller is a thug on the track when things aren't going his way

I enjoyed the part where Miller basically flipped Marquez off after the race. I'm going to guess he'll be the next Aussie whiner/bad guy like Stoner was. I'd wager that Miller will not give a poo poo if that's the case. When he and Marquez got punted about 6 spots back the riding he did back to the front was flat out amazing.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Rossi doesn't like the new qualifying format. He liked to build up or something.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Yah definitely nothing like that ever happens in GP...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

There has been close racing in GP like this during the year at the front. Close racing at the front doesn't happen lots in GP, when it does it's cool. The fastest guys riding the fastest bikes, that's why I watch GP.

• Locked thread