Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
2014 World Champion?
This poll is closed.
Valentino Rossi 13 19.40%
Jorge Lorenzo 13 19.40%
Dani Pedrosa 8 11.94%
Marc Marquez 33 49.25%
Total: 67 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
2014 Race schedule
pre:
DATE    Country          Circuit
23-Mar  Qatar            Losail
13-Apr  USA, Austin      Circuit of the Americas
27-Apr  Argentina        Termas
04-May  Spain            Jerez
18-MAY  France           Le Mans
01-Jun  Italy            Mugello
15-Jun  Catalunya        Catalunya
28-Jun  Netherlands      Assen
13-Jul  Germany          Sachsenring
10-Aug  USA,Indianapolis Indianapolis
17-Aug  Czech Republic   Brno
31-Aug  Great Britain    Silverstone
14-Sep  San Marino       Misano
28-Sep  Aragon           MotorLand
12-Oct  Japan            Motegi
19-Oct  Australia        Phillip Island
26-Oct  Malaysia         Sepang 
09-Nov  Valencia         Valencia

Skreemer fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Mar 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

nsaP posted:

EsA down to 1:54.7... This might be interesting. Dunno what tire or run it was on tho, i had to go to work.

IIRC he was running medium fronts and the soft rear. The comments they were making is that once you brought the soft compound up to temp they would last 3 or 4 laps only making them a great qualifying tire but not much else.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Veritas posted:

So today i won some tickets for the next races at CoTA, from the local morning radio show :dance:

Is there going to be a MotoGP goon meet in Austin?

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Anyone follow Moto2? Nakagami is one of my favorite "also rans" in Moto2. The guy raced the wheel off the bike last year and generally came in way down the grid because he had used up his tires. He finished 2nd in Qatar 2014 and I was hoping maybe with the new team and a new year he'd be in the points. Looks like his team fitted an air intake that's not allowed and he's been disqualified.

http://www.motogp.com/en/news/2014/Race%20Director%20explains%20Nakagami%20disqualification

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Z3n posted:

Team Mamola for life.

Randy Mamola is still one of my favorite riders and drat fun as a commentator. Sir I like your ideas and would subscribe to your newsletter.

Skreemer fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Apr 7, 2014

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Hey I got some ticket too:

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Moto2 FP2:

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Anyone at the GP going to the party tonight? I'll be dining at a buddies place a few blocks away. http://www.blueoxbarbecue.com/ See whoever shows up... (look for the blue bandit 1250, it'll most likely be the only one there.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

xzzy posted:

Bridgestone taking their ball and going home after 2015:

http://www.motogp.com/en/news/2014/Bridgestone+to+withdraw+from+MotoGP+after+the+2015+season

Of less interest to me is who's going to replace them, I'm curious what a less tested tire will do to the racing.

Maybe they'll grab pirelli from WSBK, or go back to the "bad old days" of multiple manufacturers with specially flown in one day, one time, super duper qualifying tires.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Shimrod posted:

So, Jerez.

Moto3 was fairly good, this Moto2 race though, holy crap, it must be the most boring one I've seen in recent memory. I really hope MotoGP is better.

GP was good for the first couple of laps, holy poo poo though how good is Marquez? Over 4 seconds up at one point. Good for Rossi getting second, what the heck happened to Jorge he never really was a threat.

They keep asking what's next as Marquez ticks off the different numbers of what he's accomplished and the records he's bested or met already. Aside from a crash during a race or a crash ending in him getting hurt can he win them all this season?

Skreemer fucked around with this message at 13:53 on May 4, 2014

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Collateral Damage posted:

The best part was the battle for fifth. Good riding by Rossi though.

e: Did anyone else have issues with the motogp.com stream?

I had a problem with the stream during the moto3 race but smooth through moto2 and the GP.

Side note, too bad for Cal Crutchlow. You kind of knew he was going to have a learning year switching to the notoriously difficult to rid Ducati, but I was hoping a bit better. Today losing the brakes after only a few laps though is drat tough luck.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Mad Max testing for Aprilia:
http://www.motogp.com/en/news/2014/First+test+day+for+Max+Biaggi+on+the+ARTAprilia

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Shimrod posted:

Alright, seriously, that lap by Marquez was utterly ridiculous. He's embarressing everyone now.

What happened to Pedrosa? On the third row... That's fairly unusal for him.

(answered my own question, arm pump surgery and the arm is a bit swollen.)

Skreemer fucked around with this message at 22:32 on May 17, 2014

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
wish there were more up front but at least it was a battle to the finish in MotoGP. Moto3 still delivers the most excitement per dollar value. 6 and 7 abreast going into turn one at times.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
After watching some of the replays anyone else think that Marquez is forcing Lorenzo to ride harder/more dynamically? Lorenzo is almost boring to watch with how mechanically he rides but he's had to take many different lines and improvise a lot of moves to make sure Marquez either can't pass or to come up with a move that would actually work around Marquez's dancing bike.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
holy poo poo I thought Pedrosa was going to do another maneuver and take out Marquez like he did Hayden in 2006.
Awesome last 7 laps (I missed the rest of the race live)

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
gently caress it, Go Rossi!

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Awesome Moto2 race, tight and fighting for the whole thing. Awesome ride by Rabat and how about Vinales getting third and fighting for first/second from out of nowhere.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Go "old man" Rossi wins his home GP... Good start with some fun fights.
Anyone watch Dovizioso? Every time he came out of a corner and put down the power the bike would just shimmy and shake all over the place.

Skreemer fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Sep 14, 2014

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Heck of a race, a whole crap load of crashers, I hope Rossi is OK.
Bad gamble by the Honda riders and they still got points. A. Espagaro and Crutchlow gets a podium.

Everyone else that never usually gets named much finishes in decent points.

Even before the rain was screwing things up and making it extra interesting, the first 6 laps were very entertaining.

I want to see Ianone on the podium.

BTW for Moto3, go Fenati, he's been exciting to watch since his first races when he went out with a completely white helmet and almost no sponsors.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

nsaP posted:

ducati pole wtf

No poo poo, the new Ducati GP14.2 bikes are really working for them. Good to see the marque back on form and being competitive. Go Rossi starting second especially after the last race.

I am hoping against all hope that even if Suzuki doesn't win anything next year, they are at least competitive.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Watch Moto3, drat great race and a full on scrap right up until the end.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Watch the Moto3 race. If you want to see dicing and scrapping the entire way, the racers looking for space from each other and trying different line about every other lap.

I feel bad for Fenati, he was going so well all race only to get bumped and crash 2 laps from the end.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Holy crap, MotoGP crash fest, everyone that finished got points...

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
I didn't post the names in case folks haven't watched it yet but look at the finish times of the top 5... Look at that gap between 3rd and 4th...

1 163.1 40'45.523
2 163.0 +2.445
3 162.9 +3.508
4 161.7 +21.234
5 161.7 +22.283

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Hopefully Marc stops crashing. I wan to see if he can still get 2nd in the championship at 35... Go Rossi getting second.

Another thing, Marc does seem to have a personality and seems genuinely happy with the entire experience, the riding, the fans, everything. I'm hoping that along with a long career in GP the guy actually is the force of personality that Rossi has that other riders like Stoner, Lorenzo and Pedrosa never seemed to capture. The whole series needs someone like that to keep viewership, and attendance at the races going.

Next year there's going to be Suzuki(if they can keep a motor going) and Aprillia. Hopefully it'll be a pretty full grid and the racing we've been seeing continues or gets even tighter.

Skreemer fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Nov 9, 2014

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
For those that don't follow the testing, this is the results for the top ten at the Valencia tests days 3

1 MARQUEZ M. Repsol Honda Team 1:30.973
2 PEDROSA D. Repsol Honda Team +0.146
3 LORENZO J. Movistar Yamaha MotoGP +0.191
4 ESPARGARO P. Monster Yamaha Tech 3 +0.315
5 ROSSI V. Movistar Yamaha MotoGP +0.328
6 SMITH B. Monster Yamaha Tech 3 +0.392
7 PETRUCCI D. Pramac Racing +0.692
8 CRUTCHLOW C. CWM LCR Honda +0.801
9 HERNANDEZ Y. Energy T.I. Pramac Racing +0.941
10 ESPARGARO A. Team Suzuki MotoGP +1.000

It's about what you would expect, but I'm glad to see the numbers fairly close. I'd like 7 through 10 to be a bit closer, but we all know that race pace and practice are usually fairly different. I'm also glad to see a good mix of riders and bikes. For the most part it's the same manufacturers, but having the Monster and Pramac teams in the mix gives me some hope for the coming season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

BlackMK4 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FRE_HZnI9c
If MotoGP had racing like this I'd actually watch it...

There are a lot of fights like this in the GP class, usually it's just place 4 or 5 or 6 and lower. Unfortunately those battles almost never get shown. Also with the numbe of years in this class that most of the riders have, they've pretty much sorted out how each other rides. This year I think some of the lower battles in the GP class will be pretty entertaining. Aprillia is back, Suzuki is back, Tech3 has always had strong showings, Ducati is now getting in the mix. There are a few new riders, and some riders are switching teams. Next year it'll be even more entertaining when the whole field switched to a new tire manufacturer.

Maybe we need a new Simoncelli. A guy that can wrestle a mostly decent bike to the front of the pack and spoil things for the leaders from time to time. Unfortunately Rossi is getting old, Lorenzo can't seem to adapt as well when new things are thrown his way during a race, Predosa is terminally and also ran and Marquez is just too drat good.

Take a watch at Moto3 as suggested though. A lot of younger guys and up and comers sometimes literally fighting for a spot and there are sometime huge spoilers. One of my favorite riders is Romano Fenati who can seem to run with the front runners but for some reason just can't stay consistent enough race to race in order to challenge for the overall title.

Skreemer fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Nov 15, 2014

• Locked thread