Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
2014 World Champion?
This poll is closed.
Valentino Rossi 13 19.40%
Jorge Lorenzo 13 19.40%
Dani Pedrosa 8 11.94%
Marc Marquez 33 49.25%
Total: 67 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I agree he had a great spout of luck last year but I think that he did all his crashing in practice, and never crashed out of a race after round 2 (or was it 3?) shows a quick learner.

All to the 2nd half of last year I kept waiting for the moment where his wild riding threw him down the road in a race and it never came. Now he's done a lot of the groundwork of learning the circuits in practice and has full race distance under each course, data and experience.

I think he'll be much stronger and crash less this year.

I think Lorenzo is going to have a hard time until Bridgestone gets a compound Yamaha can use again. Less fuel is already a big yamaha problem, they were already down on power, and now the tires don't seem to work. Rossi's style is hiding the issue a little better it seems as his times have improved where Lorenzo's have fallen behind. I think Lorenzo has a bigger mountain to climb to getting up to speed.

I've completely forgotten about Dani Pedrosa as a championship contender. He's had his chance(s) and I don't think he's a serious threat. I think he'll get a win or two if the others are injured or crash out, or maybe have an ace weekend, but the cards are against him in the Honda paddock. He's not their golden child, Marquez is. I think if Honda is bluffing and the stay in MotoGP, Lorenzo is going to have a huge offer from Honda on the table at the end of 2014 and Dani's going to be on his rear end on a satellite bike where he belongs. There is too strong of talent coming up to languish in 3rd for another decade.

I wish Cal the best but don't think we'll be seeing much of him this year. I'm rooting for Dovi more, I think Dovi has done his time and has earned some good results. I'm very excited to watch the Open teams this year, lots of new blood and talent back there running mid-pack and there should be some good fighting.

I'm not at all excited about being forced to watch it on BT with new commentators. I'll miss all the jingoistic comments and random talk about sandwiches and gambling. At least we still have Ryder.

in WSBK the racing was excellent last year and should be awesome again this year. Watch it if you are not already. Also, don't skip World Super Sport or World Super Stock either, AWESOME racing. MV Agusta got their first win in 38 years two weeks ago. The production bike championships are a melting pot of manufacturers and talent and not so much a diplomatic poo poo show that MotoGP has been lately.

FlerpNerpin fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Mar 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Can we do a new thing in this thread where the first post that talks about the latest race results is headed by a bold warning?

Sometimes its hard to know if the conversation has switched from pre race chat to race result without accidentally having it revealed. With people in all sorts of time zones I'd appreciate it as a US West Coast guy who's likely to be the last wave to have a coffee and watch the race on Sunday morning.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

nsaP posted:

:siren:Since moto 3 is on, thread will now contain spoilers. :siren:

Yeah, this is all I meant. Or the first person to post and be talking about the race...

:siren:Race talk starts here :siren:

Real simple.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Rossi will, he's good with the press but he also has very honest commentary sometimes.

Julian Ryder is entertaining but not very knowledgeable and the other BT guy is a tool. I miss Toby Moody, which is a sentence I thought I'd never say.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I guess that was a stupid way to say it. I enjoy Ryder's commentary, but he says some pretty silly things mid race and maybe they are intentional to lead the conversation for the audience but he can really come off like he's not got a clue sometimes.

He's far and above the best personality on the mic. I have no doubt that however many years he's done this makes him an experienced man but on broadcast I can't recall him saying much that drove what was happening with the bikes forward much. He's great about stories with the riders and what not.

Anyways, not the point. I miss EuroSport2HD.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

hayden. posted:

I liked it when Ben Spies was in the box for a race, that was cool. He should do that more.

This is a good place for Ben these days.

Or Colin when he retires, should go straight to commentating.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Yes!

GP is precision perfect. They call the Spaniards aliens for a reason.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Ben spies should be in the box every race. Fantastic.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Any ex-champion has a tired and ruined body in their middle age.

:siren: Qualifying results below, race start 8 AM EST, 5 AM PST for MotoGP, thread full of spoilers tomorrow morning :siren:

Q2 Results:

Pos. Num. Rider Bike Time Diff Prev
1 93 Marc MARQUEZ Honda 1'20.937
2 26 Dani PEDROSA Honda 1'21.233 0.296 0.296
3 6 Stefan BRADL Honda 1'21.340 0.403 0.107
4 41 Aleix ESPARGARO Forward Yamaha 1'21.376 0.439 0.036
5 99 Jorge LORENZO Yamaha 1'21.508 0.571 0.132
6 46 Valentino ROSSI Yamaha 1'21.651 0.714 0.143
7 29 Andrea IANNONE Ducati 1'21.679 0.742 0.028
8 44 Pol ESPARGARO Yamaha 1'21.771 0.834 0.092
9 38 Bradley SMITH Yamaha 1'21.794 0.857 0.023
10 19 Alvaro BAUTISTA Honda 1'21.906 0.969 0.112
11 4 Andrea DOVIZIOSO Ducati 1'22.120 1.183 0.214
12 69 Nicky HAYDEN Honda 1'22.647 1.710 0.527
Q1 Results:

Pos. Num. Rider Bike Time Diff Prev
Q2 69 Nicky HAYDEN Honda 1'22.374
Q2 4 Andrea DOVIZIOSO Ducati 1'22.404 0.030 0.030
13 68 Yonny HERNANDEZ Ducati 1'22.411 0.037 0.007
14 45 Scott REDDING Honda 1'22.436 0.062 0.025
15 35 Cal CRUTCHLOW Ducati 1'22.529 0.155 0.093
16 7 Hiroshi AOYAMA Honda 1'22.659 0.285 0.130
17 17 Karel ABRAHAM Honda 1'22.778 0.404 0.119
18 70 Michael LAVERTY PBM 1'22.845 0.471 0.067
19 5 Colin EDWARDS Forward Yamaha 1'22.888 0.514 0.043
20 8 Hector BARBERA Avintia 1'23.029 0.655 0.141
21 63 Mike DI MEGLIO Avintia 1'23.423 1.049 0.394
22 23 Broc PARKES PBM 1'23.428 1.054 0.005
23 9 Danilo PETRUCCI ART 1'23.484 1.110 0.056

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

KTM entry for 2017

http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-racing-news-moto-gp/ktm-ceo-confirms-entry-into-2017-motogp/25345.html

gently caress, yes!

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

n8r posted:

I'm not following the pricing or the number of bikes sold. No way they sell 100 bikes just in the MotoGP grid so I'm guessing they are going to do a Desmosedici style bike as well as a full GP bike?

That's what I inferred as well. Hopefully we'll see this a few more places soon and it'll firm up. I'd be very happy if in 2017 we had:

Honda
Yamaha
Suzuki
Ducati
Aprilia
KTM

Just need to get Kawasaki back in the mix (well, outside from the odd chassis).

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Ianonne to factory seat
Crutchlow to LCR Honda 2015

No word on LCR forming a 2nd bike (Have funding for it, apparently) or kicking Bradl out.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I usually trust moto-matters which says that there is funding at LCR honda for a 2nd bike, and they've wanted to run two and that nothing is official yet on Bradl, but it can probably go either way. I like Bradl, but in the Marc Marquez world, consistently almost podium isn't enough for anybody.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I like Crutchlow, but I think where he'll shine is somewhere other than MotoGP. He's not a serious contender for a title, and that isn't going to change. Some hot new British talent is going to show promise and as soon as that happens he's out on his rear end. He's a better personality than he is a rider. The english love that poo poo (just like we love Edwards for the same reason), but I think Crutchlow is in a decline too late in his career to ever make an Edwards out of himself. Soon as Redding starts sweating riders in 4th, 5th place on race day, the Isles will go all Redding fever and its media lights out for Cal.

I hope he goes to WSBK or somewhere and does well.

Bradl is strong, and I like the guy, but I think he has the same problem everyone else does: Marquez has moved the game on.

Anyone who's had a few years in MotoGP and is doing well but not producing podiums or wins is under threat because race teams are scratching their heads wondering who the hell can beat Marquez. That means a push to bring in new talent. The only mid-pack riders who are secure I think are teams that are betting new rules (Spec ECU and new spec tires) will bring Marquez down to earth where he can be beaten. Any team who's scouting for young, aggressive talent is a seat that is at risk if you are a finishing 5-10th regularly.

FlerpNerpin fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Aug 3, 2014

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

So looks like Bradl did get pushed and is shopping rides.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

So I guess now that the reign of terror is over Marquez is just giving up and will probably flop out of MotoGP.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I like this kid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zE5_ZYMgw7w

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

A&R put them in one place

http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/motogp/motogp-riders-als-ice-bucket-challenge/

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

BT2 FP2 coverage is worth a watch/listen w/ Colin in the box

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Its a red bull piece about one of their riders but I found it pretty interesting.

http://www.redbulletin.com/int/en/sports/marc-of-a-champion

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Those are not real tweets.

Well, unless they were deleted.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I think its P-cool that after the race last weekend Rossi invites Marquez to his ranch and they spend a day blasting around together.

"Getting tips of the designer of the ranch! - @ valeyellow46 giving me some advice"

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

:siren: Race talk :siren:

Well, as long as everything goes wrong for 7 or 8 bikes that are in front of him, Cal can podium!

What a strange race. Was really fun to watch and then kinda had the wind sucked out of it there at the end.

I'm always slightly dissapointed when weather basically dictates the race like that. I like full wet, I like full dry, I like mid-race changes between the two, but that kinda 'right at the end pissing then pouring rain' just seems like you may as well pick the finishing order at random.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Love me some GP

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Collateral Damage posted:

I'm happy for Smith getting a podium, even if it was mostly due to racers ahead of him crashing out. He was literally in tears of joy when BT interviewed him after parking the bike. :3:

Cal must be really beating himself for that crash though. He didn't even have to push it that hard with the lead he had over Lorenzo. And speaking of, what was wrong with Lorenzo that made him slow down that much?

e: And did they say what damage Pedrosa's bike suffered that made him quit the race?

Slowing down and !managing the gap is exactly what made Cal and Marc go sliding (tire cooled down).

Lorenzo shredded the softer front battling Vale and had no tire left.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

nsaP posted:

Yep, and stuff goes wrong all the time. They're called racing incidents or mistakes and no one has ever whined about them.

It's almost like a body of experts was consulted because this was a legitimate thing to investigate (Z3n) and found that no incident occurred because it was a legitimate reason to roll off the throttle (nasp).

Discuss for 10 more posts please.

FlerpNerpin fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Oct 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

What a fun season. That moto3 race was worth the price of admission alone.

• Locked thread