Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I am very mad Rousey can't fight Bruce Lee in this game. That's bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I think Ronda would probably ragdoll Bruce.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.
But how would she finish? Her armbar is useless against his flawless defense, you can see it in this documentary.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I was hoping for roidtech. :smith:

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
Any excuse to post it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS9vdoX3Ju0

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RycMPTFD_n4

This looked real fun until the part where we're forced to watch private Jon Jones messages in career mode. Cancelling preorder

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Seems pretty standard but the longevity angle and "perks" on your CAF as a gameplan is kind of cool. I really hope they go all out on your TUF season as an actual season of the show but I kinda doubt it.

Edit: I miss virtual Bas :( he was the best trainer guy for any game. Always leavin voice mails that make you feel good.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Apr 30, 2014

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice
I would have been happy if career mode didn't necessitate you having to do stupid training games over and over ad nauseum so this looks great.

I'd also like to see Bas back.

Finally, will TUF mode have a mini-game where you deface the poster of the opposing team's coach? Because otherwise it will be unrealistic.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Or pull pranks.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
EA MMA and the latest fight nights only make you ace a training game once, then you can sim through it and get the same stat boost anytime you want.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Bubba Smith posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RycMPTFD_n4

This looked real fun until the part where we're forced to watch private Jon Jones messages in career mode. Cancelling preorder

So I'm guessing it must be pretty easy to knock Liddell the hell out based on his expectingly low longevity rating.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010

Intel&Sebastian posted:

EA MMA and the latest fight nights only make you ace a training game once, then you can sim through it and get the same stat boost anytime you want.

I never played EA MMA since it wasn't released here, but I bought the latest Fight Night earlier this month to keep me occupied until this game comes out and I have to invest in a PS4. Are you sure you can skip the training games? I'd be both thrilled and horrified if that's the case.

I was feeling a bit down on EA UFC, but the new video looks cool. The old UFC games had bland career modes to go with their completely broken online features, so it's heartening to see that this game is moving in a different direction.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

the hair adjustment was nice. I wonder if there's a mechanic for that or if its a random idle animation.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Ironically, if Bendo reacted like that instead of leaning way back and falling over he would've had a chance at winning that fight.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

coconono posted:

the hair adjustment was nice. I wonder if there's a mechanic for that or if its a random idle animation.

If it isn't canned, it's a mechanic that's God damned hard to get right. Observe this video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9K-Gv4XVb10

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
I can't wait for showtime kicks to turn the game into EA Ultimate Velodrome Fighting

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I cannot get over how bad the animations look. It just looks highly unnatural to me. I suppose the career mode might be fun, but still no simple videos of a fight taking place in the actual game and only a month and half until launch. Pessimistic as I am, that is nothing but bad news to me.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

Grifter posted:

But how would she finish? Her armbar is useless against his flawless defense, you can see it in this documentary.

Liver punch.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
EA finally released some raw gameplay footage - here's a fancy intro that seems pretty drat accurate to the broadcasts leading into a full round between Aldo and Pettis's rubbery digital counterparts.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2xLW0NZCLw

CVG also got to get a hands-on look, and it's not very well written but it gives an decent description of the controls.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

That does little to quell my fears of it being a pretty bad game. The animations are absolute junk and make the game look "off" to me. I do hope they haven't gone with the ragdoll dropping down dead and then moving to their back for every knockdown too, because that knockdown would probably have had the referee call the fight in a lot of scenarios and it kills my immersion.

I'm looking forward to the supposed demo release to get my own hands on it to give it a fair shot, but it will have to be something special to get me to want to buy it at full price.

I don't think Buffer could have sounded less hyped for his recording if he'd tried either.

world b lee
Feb 1, 2006
Is it a frog? Is it a toad?
Well the animations mostly look like poo poo and they move 100x faster than humans do, but you can do the standing elbow Anderson Silva learned from a Tony Jaa movie as well as Pettis's handstand capoeira kick. So, cool I guess. Not enough to make me buy a PS4 until everything drops in price.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
Buffer sounds like poo poo, everyone but Yves Lavigne looks weird, but at least they got Duke Roufus' wondrous voice

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

And the clock runs really really fast which I was never sure why that happened in these games. I guess it's "people don't want to play a match that takes 15 minutes"?

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC
The standing portion of that round looked like two people mashing buttons playing Tekken, and the ground portion looked straight out of EA MMA. Definitely going to have to play the demo first, but wow this game looks like several steps back from Undisputed 3, which wasn't a great MMA representation in the first place.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

TheReverend posted:

And the clock runs really really fast which I was never sure why that happened in these games. I guess it's "people don't want to play a match that takes 15 minutes"?

I think it's because the way people play these games means a single fight real-time would result in more punches landed than most fighters take their entire career.

Edit: Game looks awful.

Chickpea Roar fucked around with this message at 16:05 on May 20, 2014

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Wow, just as I feared, that looks like poo poo. They were spamming tons of terribly animated kicks and punches at each other that seemed to have no effect until Aldo decided to get rocked from some random combo. In real life, that fight would have been over in 10 seconds. It looks like EA MMA with a fresh coat of paint and sped up. I knew this was gonna happen after they took forever to show off any actual gameplay.

What I don't understand is, EA has made an excellent boxing sim with the Fight Night games, which are just about perfect. Why can't they do the same for MMA? It's a more complicated sport, but it's not impossible to make a great sim out of it. Seems like they're more interested in making a quick buck by taking EA MMA and making it prettier.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

MrSmokes posted:

Seems like they're more interested in making a quick buck by taking EA MMA and making it prettier.

Rather, a bunch of slow bucks by taking EA MMA, making it prettier and taking a good 2 or 3 years to do it in a media blackout.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 16:25 on May 20, 2014

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I just went from sort of hyped to hoping this will hit 30 bucks fast.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

KidDynamite posted:

I just went from sort of hyped to hoping this will hit 30 bucks fast.

Between titanfall not wowing me completely and this game looking poo poo I think I just saved 500 dollars this year.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Between titanfall not wowing me completely and this game looking poo poo I think I just saved 500 dollars this year.

You can get titanfall on the 360 now and it owns.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Titanfall is on the Source engine from what I know. You might be able to run whatever low power PC you might have because it's a very scalable engine, so you could have gotten it for like $50 anyway. If you have a good PC, you probably wouldn't have been looking at a Bone for it.

e: ^^^ That too, except the owns bit, it just looks bad to me. I'm not an FPS fan though.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
Maybe the ground game will turn out to be incredibly well done, thus leading everyone to play as Monsieur Carmont.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
By about ~1 minute left in the round the animations and fight looks better because they've slowed down. If they'd just peel everything back by about 50% it would feel much better but they're going for dumb arcadey poo poo.

I'll still probably pick it up but I need the demo.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

The Kins posted:

EA finally released some raw gameplay footage - here's a fancy intro that seems pretty drat accurate to the broadcasts leading into a full round between Aldo and Pettis's rubbery digital counterparts.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2xLW0NZCLw

CVG also got to get a hands-on look, and it's not very well written but it gives an decent description of the controls.

The bodies don't squirm or ragdoll enough when getting hit. There's a lot of micromovements and adjustments fighters make that aren't present here. Its terms of video game fighting, it looks complete tho its hard to tell what was blocked and what hit in some spots.

Plus the audio is a bit muted. And the commentary is a big laggy.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Bubba Smith posted:

By about ~1 minute left in the round the animations and fight looks better because they've slowed down. If they'd just peel everything back by about 50% it would feel much better but they're going for dumb arcadey poo poo.

I was gonna say it looks miles better than 3. Most of the reason it looks like poo poo is because the fighters are attacking non-stop without gassing. In 3 I only played on simulation mode and it was a lot more fun and realistic despite looking like rear end(You'd be winded if you did any of the poo poo the fighters did in the first 20 seconds in the video). If this game has simulation mode as well (which it should) it'll look a lot better (and you should only play that). Anyways I'll probably never play this game because Nextgen consoles are still way too much for me to care about buying at this point and by the time the price comes down another one of these will be rolling out probably.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I would hope that simulation mode would fix the "I'm actually watching the first 10 seconds of Frye-Takayama" aspect of the fighting, but even if you do have to fight deliberately as you would in a real bout, it's not going to fix the turgid looking striking and basically everything else.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
I'm just saying, having owned 3 that looks a lot better. Also I'll use this opportunity to let people know Fight Night Champion is still the best fighting game out and manages to look a ton more fluid despite being released in 2011.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Seltzer posted:

I'm just saying, having owned 3 that looks a lot better. Also I'll use this opportunity to let people know Fight Night Champion is still the best fighting game out and manages to look a ton more fluid despite being released in 2011.

Completely agree. Bareknuckle mode 4 life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

edit: ^^fight night champion rules and bareknuckle mode is the best thing

Yeah, given that my expectations for the game were lowered back to "it'll probably be EA MMA again" standards, that actually made me feel a little better. The animations are still squiggly and fast, but they've tweaked them since EA MMA to actually have some level of impact and response. The GNP in particular actually looks okay, as opposed to EA MMA's which was the worst animation I've ever seen in any fighting game ever.

But I'm also the kind of easy mark who gets this poo poo day one no matter what, so my opinion is meaningless.

• Locked thread