Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Reface DX doesn't respect keyboard scaling when playing notes legato in either mono mode. When playing non-legato, the portamento doesn't affect the scaling, so there are abrupt changes in timbre.

Also, I prefer constant time envelopes to constant rate, because then adjacent stages with the same level aren't meaningless. It's frustrating that Yamaha draws the envelope on the display as constant time; what you hear isn't what you see.

It's a shame that FM tickles my fancy so much, otherwise I could find lots of ways to hate this machine. Some of the design choices could be forgiven (4op isn't so bad with the independent feedback) but some of them seem like laziness.

Interestingly, distortion makes it easy to mask the FM sweep burble, making modulated leads more palatable.

Tan Dumplord fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Nov 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?
I finally figured out why my Alesis Micron is so dodgy (for lack of a better term). It turns out that some of the plastic is stripped so the screws can't grab on as tightly as they should.

I've googled stripped plastic and most seem to suggest stuffing epoxy into the hole with one of the screws and having a go but I figured I'd ask to see if anyone has a similar experience in not spending money trying to get it fixed. I never use it and want to sell it, so spending a hundred bucks on a new keybed isn't something I want to do.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Speaking of FM, caught this on my regular site

Hopefully it was a rescue of a keybed-busted Korg 707 and not an affront to god.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Adding to the Black Friday sales spam, Sweetwater has Arturia V Collection 4 for $199 right now, which is cheaper than the V Collection Classics I almost bought last week. :eyepop:

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
That sale's been going on in one place or another for the past few weeks. I grabbed it from the NI store 2-3 weeks ago, and it sounds fantastic.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Tim Burns Effect posted:

Adding to the Black Friday sales spam, Sweetwater has Arturia V Collection 4 for $199 right now, which is cheaper than the V Collection Classics I almost bought last week. :eyepop:

And I got paid today. Oh god. Ohhh goddddd come on will power.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

BonoMan posted:

And I got paid today. Oh god. Ohhh goddddd come on will power.

Just get some discount synths man.

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
Just buy the synths. those would all cost like $50,000 if you bought the real things. treat yourself. you deserve it.

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
Reminder: all arturia V synths are supporting the NKS format to use in Kontrol/Maschine. Its a decent system.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Barnyard Protein posted:

Just buy the synths. those would all cost like $50,000 if you bought the real things. treat yourself. you deserve it.

Bought it for $198 for the Boxed version @ Amazon.

edit: I Hate all of You

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Nov 29, 2015

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Barnyard Protein posted:

Yeah when you think about it that way, you'd basically be throwing away $49,800 if you DIDN'T buy it.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Trig Discipline posted:

Yeah when you think about it that way, you'd basically be throwing away $49,800 if you DIDN'T buy it.

I just listed my boxed version on eBay for $30,000 ($42,000 Buy It Now® option)... am I doing this right?

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Well if you're willing to let someone lowball you, sure.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Actual cool thing to do during the holiday season: just give me your synths

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
What could I use to bring a normal synth (say an MS-20 or Microbrute) up to Eurorack level, that's not an actual Eurorack module? I have a Mother 32 but no other rack stuff yet, but want to pipe other stuff in.

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Uncle Seymour wants you to eat your beans.
So I just picked up a TR8 and it has really blown my head open as far as making this kind of music goes.

Do you guys have any recommendations for synths in the 5-600 dollar range? I was thinking about checking out the System 1 or the Minibrute.

It's probably worth saying that I have might sights set on making some more John Carpenter-esque kind of music.

And stuff like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJRQPvIcOJ0

Beaucoup Cuckoo fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Nov 29, 2015

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001

WorldWarWonderful posted:

I finally figured out why my Alesis Micron is so dodgy (for lack of a better term). It turns out that some of the plastic is stripped so the screws can't grab on as tightly as they should.

I've googled stripped plastic and most seem to suggest stuffing epoxy into the hole with one of the screws and having a go but I figured I'd ask to see if anyone has a similar experience in not spending money trying to get it fixed. I never use it and want to sell it, so spending a hundred bucks on a new keybed isn't something I want to do.

That's pretty much the way to do it. I fixed stripped threads in a metal part on a motorcycle (I think it was the throttle grip clamp) that undergo a whole lot more force than synth cases. The stuff I used was for metal, but JB Weld is likely more than enough for your need.

Here's an anecdote that will make you mad: my coworker asked me what keyboard to get his 8 year old, who was showing a lot of interest in playing along with youtube videos, for Christmas. After a few minutes on Sweetwater, he ordered a NI Kontrol S88. Merry Christmas kid!

W424
Oct 21, 2010

AnnoyBot posted:

Here's an anecdote that will make you mad: my coworker asked me what keyboard to get his 8 year old, who was showing a lot of interest in playing along with youtube videos, for Christmas. After a few minutes on Sweetwater, he ordered a NI Kontrol S88. Merry Christmas kid!

That's just evil.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Looking for a controller to gently caress around with the Arturia collection I just bought. Are the Keylabs decent? I'm looking at the 25. The 49 is pretty nice but might be a little big for me since I'm in "gently caress around" mode. But I do like the additional pad.

The NI K series might be a little much for me on this go around.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

BonoMan posted:

Looking for a controller to gently caress around with the Arturia collection I just bought. Are the Keylabs decent? I'm looking at the 25. The 49 is pretty nice but might be a little big for me since I'm in "gently caress around" mode. But I do like the additional pad.

The NI K series might be a little much for me on this go around.

I'm planning to pick up an M-Audio Code myself. Or an AKAI MPK2xx.

Both are new from this year and better values at the small end than the Keylab. The small Keylabs are also a bit infamous for having hit-or-miss build quality IIRC. In any case, they're a bit on the older side now and it shows.

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003

W424 posted:

That's just evil.

Whats so bad about it? Seems like a good controller that the kid can grow into, so long as she can figure out how to (%) config a DAW. The (%) symbol marks the point where i realize what the problem is. seems like a lot of poo poo to have to figure out just to noodle around along with youtube videos. Seems like a good tool for a child to learn with If the parent can help setup the DAW so it can light up the keys.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
As we're on keyboard chat and the NI stuff is too expensive, hows this? http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IWU2CBA/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2HIJUOW5C7Z8U&coliid=I16DGUHDGG8DDX&psc=1

It's the m-audio oxygen 49. perfect size to build a sliding ledge for under my desk too, under the max by like half an inch.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Barnyard Protein posted:

Whats so bad about it? Seems like a good controller that the kid can grow into, so long as she can figure out how to (%) config a DAW. The (%) symbol marks the point where i realize what the problem is. seems like a lot of poo poo to have to figure out just to noodle around along with youtube videos. Seems like a good tool for a child to learn with If the parent can help setup the DAW so it can light up the keys.

That dude is rich as gently caress and I'm jealous, that's what's bad about it

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003

Swagger Dagger posted:

That dude is rich as gently caress and I'm jealous, that's what's bad about it

I was looking at the wrong model, when I googled it i clicked on an NI link that showed something that was $400. "Reasonable" i thought. Its really $1k though. And if I understand it correctly, you need a $700 software suite for the thing to work. Yeah pretty pricey. It would be a shame if the kid plonks around with it for a few hours then lets it gather dust. Who knows? maybe it'll foster a life long love of music. When I was 8 my parents got me some toy-quality electronic keyboard from radio shack when I expressed interested in learning piano, needless to say that interest died quickly

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Barnyard Protein posted:

I was looking at the wrong model, when I googled it i clicked on an NI link that showed something that was $400. "Reasonable" i thought. Its really $1k though. And if I understand it correctly, you need a $700 software suite for the thing to work. Yeah pretty pricey. It would be a shame if the kid plonks around with it for a few hours then lets it gather dust. Who knows? maybe it'll foster a life long love of music. When I was 8 my parents got me some toy-quality electronic keyboard from radio shack when I expressed interested in learning piano, needless to say that interest died quickly

Still less expensive than ski racing.

Growing up, I knew two different guys whose dads were just as into guitars as they were.

Needless to say their gear collections looked a bit different from mine. :sigh:

Both ended up going to music school, so that should give you a hint as to how those particular experiments worked out. If a parent properly encourages and instills discipline, it isn't any different from investing in a kid's athletic/dance/arts education, which everyone does anyway if they're in a high enough income bracket.

The NI definitely is expensive but not outrageously so if you're cross-shopping it with actual pianos, as many parents might be (the 88 key one has a fully-weighted electric piano bed). It also does come with some bundled software. Not a ton, but probably enough for many people- and I'd bet there were some Black Friday bundle deals to be taken advantage of in that department as well.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Whoa wait...the 88 key is weighted? Dammit, that was the one thing that had made me decide not to get one.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
I know I'm sounding like a broken record here (at least vinyl's cool again!), but I strongly advise against buying M-Audio. Some of their hardware is poo poo, and their drivers suck balls, and the worst of all is, their support is abysmal, they're apparently just bad people? Anyway that's been "don't buy M-Audio", episode 14, I'm your host wayfinder, see you next time I see someone considering getting M-Audio gear.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Anything good semi weighted 49key you can reccomend? Around $150 ideally

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

wayfinder posted:

I know I'm sounding like a broken record here (at least vinyl's cool again!), but I strongly advise against buying M-Audio. Some of their hardware is poo poo, and their drivers suck balls, and the worst of all is, their support is abysmal, they're apparently just bad people? Anyway that's been "don't buy M-Audio", episode 14, I'm your host wayfinder, see you next time I see someone considering getting M-Audio gear.

The Code series is brand new and apparently a completely different beast quality-wise from M-Audio's old, pre-InMusic stuff.

Now that M-Audio is part of the same conglomerate as AKAI and ALESIS, they're pulling from the same parts bin and engineering teams. By all accounts, the Code is basically an MPK2xx with a different layout and an X/Y pad. And it ships with Ableton, Mackie, and core Midi support straight out of the box.

For all that it generally sucks when small companies get bought up, the InMusic transition has made M-Audio really step up their game in the last few years.

But yeah, avoid their old stuff.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

I've had a pair of M-Audio monitors for 8 years. I've never had any complaints, and I sometimes wonder if that's a failing on my part.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

I've had a pair of M-Audio monitors for 8 years. I've never had any complaints, and I sometimes wonder if that's a failing on my part.

I think their monitors are kind of in a different department than most of their other equipment. We've had quite a few sets of M-Audio monitors over the years and they've all been great. But some of their other gear (breakout boxes, etc) has been hit or miss.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Now that M-Audio is part of the same conglomerate as AKAI and ALESIS, they're pulling from the same parts bin and engineering teams.
Is that supposed to inspire confidence?

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

wayfinder posted:

My M-Audio soundcard requires me running a batch-file (see below) to restart it at least once a day and the digital I/O doesn't even work in Win7(x64) and I wish I had an alternative and I hate it

net stop "AudioSrv"
net stop "AudioEndPointBuilder"
net start "AudioSrv"
net start "AudioEndPointBuilder"

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

My first and only pair of monitors are M-Audio BX5As that I got in 2009. They're okay, but a couple friends of mine have different brands of monitors that I've heard and they put mine to shame. I didn't even originally get mine as monitors. I actually got them (stupidly) because I joined a band as a synth player and needed something to play live with, and I hadn't done any research and the guy at Guitar Center suggested those to me. Obviously they ended up being way too underpowered for a live setting and I ended up using a bandmate's spare amp. So I used them for some home recording stuff instead, but they always felt like they left something to be desired for that purpose too.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Flipperwaldt posted:

Is that supposed to inspire confidence?

If you were gonna spend <$600 on a MIDI keyboard, what would you buy?

Seriously, recommend me a keyboard.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Electric Bugaloo posted:

A goddamn Kurzweil K2000 to use as a midi keyboard, that's what. (semi-weighed keyboard action)

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Seriously, recommend me a keyboard.

I actually really like my Komplete Kontrol 49 but I'm rear end deep in the Native Instruments ecosystem.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

MrLonghair posted:

A goddamn Kurzweil K2000 to use as a midi keyboard, that's what. (semi-weighed keyboard action)

Over $600 is k2661 territory :v:
Traded my old 2500S for one and it's extremely needs suiting.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

BonoMan posted:

I think their monitors are kind of in a different department than most of their other equipment. We've had quite a few sets of M-Audio monitors over the years and they've all been great. But some of their other gear (breakout boxes, etc) has been hit or miss.

I have a fast track pro and an axiom 49 from ~2007 when I had an Avid employee discount and agreeeed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Startyde posted:

Over $600 is k2661 territory :v:
Traded my old 2500S for one and it's extremely needs suiting.

For every 2661 I've seen there's been 13 K2000VP :argh: