Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

miy mwoiultlh tbreaptpreude ifno srteavtiecr more

cubicle gangster posted:

Anything good semi weighted 49key you can reccomend? Around $150 ideally

i have a samson carbon 49key that was $130 and works alright, but it's not weighted at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Swagger Dagger posted:

I actually really like my Komplete Kontrol 49 but I'm rear end deep in the Native Instruments ecosystem.

I'd love to get one of these but I dont want to spend my money on one (need more modules) and my mum wants to buy me something for christmas.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
I get paid tomorrow, and rather than get another synthesizer :shepspends: I'd like to get a better controller, to replace the cheepnis I've been playing on.

I sing and play live, so I'm pretty happy with keytaring. I'm thinking of getting an Alesis Vortex. Any comments before I pull the trigger on this?

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

So Math posted:

I get paid tomorrow, and rather than get another synthesizer :shepspends: I'd like to get a better controller, to replace the cheepnis I've been playing on.

I sing and play live, so I'm pretty happy with keytaring. I'm thinking of getting an Alesis Vortex. Any comments before I pull the trigger on this?

I've come to the conclusion that if Ratbat isn't your keyboard controller, you are doing something wrong

Sizone fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Nov 30, 2015

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Electric Bugaloo posted:

If you were gonna spend <$600 on a MIDI keyboard, what would you buy?

Seriously, recommend me a keyboard.
For my money I'd just go with the Roland A-800 Pro that I have now again. But you know, max 61 keys and no attempt to emulate piano action, so it might not be what anyone else is looking for. Seriously reliable and well built though.

It's just that I do have horrible experiences with an Alesis QX61 that came broken out of the box, after which they sent me a different one that was broken in another way. And while I haven't heard much bad about Akai controllers specifically, in the last couple of years I've been interested in a handful of budget devices they announced and was immediately dissuaded by the initial reviews that pointed out major flaws (mpx8, mpx16, eiei (pro), and who could forget the whole rhythm/timbre wolf fiasco).

Beside Roland, there are a bunch of companies I'd be a lot happier to look into first, before going with what that unholy trinity has cooked up now, like Korg, Nektar or even Novation. Hell, I'd feel more comfortable with Behringer or take a gamble on CME first.

Those are my impressions. Very biased and not based on a statistically significant number of hands on experiences. It's very well possible that that Code controller is decent and that people who buy it generally have a nice experience. I honestly don't know. But like hell if I don't think it's funny that M-audio would supposedly be saved by Akai/Alesis of all brands. Neither is even close to a hallmark of quality to me.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Oh hey a lot of synth action in Amazon's lightning deals right now, including quite a few of those Akai controllers we were talking about eariler

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
If you're lucky your fingers and nerves don't care about the keybed beyond its style and weight.

*carefully glues buckyballs to the underside of keys aaaah that's better*

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
JD-XA for 20% off, or get a modular system?

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

A Winner is Jew posted:

Screw your binary! Get both!

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

dj bobby bieber posted:

Screw your binary! Get both!

I have a wife, so I can only get one.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Sell the wife, get both

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Trig Discipline posted:

Sell the wife, get both

She's getting her MBA in like a week and will become my sugar mama... so again not an option.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Something I was musing on the other day onto which I'm sure some of you can shed some light: I'm sure this exists somewhere but I'd like to play around with an tempo-sync'd LFO that has different note values depending on the incoming MIDI note, ideally with a glide function to smoothly change the rate. This occurred to me the other day when I was listening to some liquid D&B that had rate-modulated filter or volume oscillation in the sub bass adding rhythm to the bassline. I know this would be easy to do by drawing in automation over a written track but for jamming/experimentation purposes it'd be neat to have a MIDI-controlled LFO that will do this automatically. Is this already a thing? I reckon someone's probably made a M4L device that's exactly it.

Of course I don't write poo poo anymore :( but I think it would be cool to play around with.

Scatterfold
Nov 4, 2008

A Winner is Jew posted:

m o d u l a r :shittydog:

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

Mister Speaker posted:

Something I was musing on the other day onto which I'm sure some of you can shed some light: I'm sure this exists somewhere but I'd like to play around with an tempo-sync'd LFO that has different note values depending on the incoming MIDI note, ideally with a glide function to smoothly change the rate. This occurred to me the other day when I was listening to some liquid D&B that had rate-modulated filter or volume oscillation in the sub bass adding rhythm to the bassline. I know this would be easy to do by drawing in automation over a written track but for jamming/experimentation purposes it'd be neat to have a MIDI-controlled LFO that will do this automatically. Is this already a thing? I reckon someone's probably made a M4L device that's exactly it.

Of course I don't write poo poo anymore :( but I think it would be cool to play around with.

Well, if you don't mind sequencing instead of playing in live pretty much every elektron synth will let you do this with parameter locks, glide included.

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

A Winner is Jew posted:

Do you like more than one note at a time?

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

0dB posted:

Do you like more than one note at a time?

Yes.

Also I ordered it last night since this was pretty modular.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7pUt6BwJH0

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

So apparently since NAMM the Akai Timbre Wolf went from laughably out of tune to merely kinda boring:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DqH7SWv7Gk

I have a BassBot on order as a Christmas present, a much better choice IMO than the Timbre Wolf.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

AxeBreaker posted:

So apparently since NAMM the Akai Timbre Wolf went from laughably out of tune to merely kinda boring:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DqH7SWv7Gk

I have a BassBot on order as a Christmas present, a much better choice IMO than the Timbre Wolf.
Still doesn't seem like it presents a convincing enough case for why anyone should buy one.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Once you cut through all of the reactionary venom and short-lived Internet hate, the Reface series and even the Roland Boutiques have proven themselves to be accurate representations of coveted analog instruments with "impressive" build quality- albeit with big concessions to portability and cost at the expense of playability and power.

I don't think anyone's made nearly such a case for AKAI's lovely wolfpack yet beyond "weird sounds for mad cheap".

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Once you cut through all of the reactionary venom and short-lived Internet hate, the Reface series and even the Roland Boutiques have proven themselves to be accurate representations of coveted analog instruments with "impressive" build quality- albeit with big concessions to portability and cost at the expense of playability and power.

I don't think anyone's made nearly such a case for AKAI's lovely wolfpack yet beyond "weird sounds for mad cheap".

The only internet bitching I've seen about the Boutique's has been some of the obscure menu diving for trivial stuff, and I think the main problem with the Reface is that it's too expensive for what you get. If the Refaces were 1-200 less I wouldn't have really any issues with them, while the price would be totally justified if they had audio over USB since they would be the perfect companion for an ipad based mobile studio since they sound amazing.

The Akai stuff, only the Tom Cat sounds interesting enough to actually buy.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I've got the JU-06 and JX-03 arriving tomorrow :dance:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

A Winner is Jew posted:

The only internet bitching I've seen about the Boutique's has been some of the obscure menu diving for trivial stuff, and I think the main problem with the Reface is that it's too expensive for what you get. If the Refaces were 1-200 less I wouldn't have really any issues with them, while the price would be totally justified if they had audio over USB since they would be the perfect companion for an ipad based mobile studio since they sound amazing.

The Akai stuff, only the Tom Cat sounds interesting enough to actually buy.

Tbf, both the Reface and Boutique took the vast bulk of their respective vitriol before they launched. People got ahold of the spec sheets, saw what was and wasn't there, and then went off on their own conclusions weeks before any reviews showed up.

Popping into gearslutz (I know) at practically any time during the month of October, you'd think that Roland had been hunting down and grinding up old Jupiter 8s in order to make the JP-08.

I was going to disagree with you on the Refaces until I saw that they were back up to $500 everywhere. :sigh: They really do belong in the $300-$400 range, and not just on Black Friday weekend.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Tbf, both the Reface and Boutique took the vast bulk of their respective vitriol before they launched. People got ahold of the spec sheets, saw what was and wasn't there, and then went off on their own conclusions weeks before any reviews showed up.

Popping into gearslutz (I know) at practically any time during the month of October, you'd think that Roland had been hunting down and grinding up old Jupiter 8s in order to make the JP-08.

I was going to disagree with you on the Refaces until I saw that they were back up to $500 everywhere. :sigh: They really do belong in the $300-$400 range, and not just on Black Friday weekend.

I think most people just hate mini-keys which when the boutique were announced shortly after all the hate that the reface got for that people just latched onto it. Personally I don't mind mini keys and don't really notice a difference switching between my full sized controller and my MS-20 mini, but gently caress those short throw keys on the System 1 when I messed around with those.

Also, the boutique stuff did the "mini sound module" right since they're modules that have an optional add-on keyboard instead of making you buy a keyboard for each one. Had the reface done that I think the hate would have been lessened since it would have also brought the price down.

The thing is, both the reface (minus the CS) and boutique stuff sound really loving good (I am legit impressed with the ACB tech from Roland) and it's mostly the packaging and feature set that people should rightfully be bitching about.

Not like any of that poo poo matters for me anymore since I can't buy anything else right now.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Gearslutz is a complete loving cesspool and the Boutique thread is Exhibit A.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Tayter Swift posted:

Gearslutz is a complete loving cesspool and the Boutique every thread is Exhibit A.

FTFY

Also, it's hilarious how well received the Xi has been while the Xa is pretty much hated there. I've gotten to gently caress around with both and while the Xi is cool as a starter synth since it's all in one the Xa is loving ridiculously good and my only hesitation on getting it was price and if I wanted to go bleep/bloop instead... which the Xa can also do apparently well based on the video I linked earlier since I never really hosed with the sequencer when I tried it.

A Winner is Jew fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Dec 2, 2015

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo
Have we already discussed the Boutique and Reface lines here? Because if so I missed it. Can someone sum them both up for me? In particular, A Winner is Jew, I'm curious why you left out the Reface CS in your praise.

Something must be wrong with me because when I see small, relatively low-cost, and good quality synth (etc.) modules (but not modular modules, yet) like the Boutiques and the Refaces, I get GASsy. I think I blame the volcas, which I feel started this recent trend (and which I'm still loving and having a lot of fun with).

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

minidracula posted:

Have we already discussed the Boutique and Reface lines here? Because if so I missed it. Can someone sum them both up for me? In particular, A Winner is Jew, I'm curious why you left out the Reface CS in your praise.

Something must be wrong with me because when I see small, relatively low-cost, and good quality synth (etc.) modules (but not modular modules, yet) like the Boutiques and the Refaces, I get GASsy. I think I blame the volcas, which I feel started this recent trend (and which I'm still loving and having a lot of fun with).

I've looked at both, and only ever wanted and bought the Reface DX. The DX is 4 operator FM with saw and square feedback on every operator. A lot of people hate the touch slider interface, but it's not that bad. I think it's a good introduction to hardware FM, but again while it is solidly built it ain't worth $500 unless you are impulsive about such things like me.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

minidracula posted:

CS is mostly because it sounds nothing like a CS but more like the AN1x, which was great for a VA 20 years ago but there are a ton of better options for that now including getting a pristine AN1x for the same price. The DX, YC, and CP are totally legit sounding for what they do with the YC and CP rivaling the sounds of a Nord Electro IMO. Where the reface line falls short is that there is no built-in sequencer (a looper takes it's place though), the audio in is only pass through and you can't use the fantastic effects on it. I also really think they missed the mark on not giving it audio over USB because how badass would it have been to throw a reface, a volca, and ipad in your backpack and have a super functional portable studio with the reface acting as both interface for itself and the volca along with being your midi controller? So yeah, for it's price point the Reface is pretty feature starved and it either needs more features (like effects applying to the audio in or audio over USB) or the price needs to come down some.

The boutique sounds fantastic IMO and aside from things like poor midi implementation and menu diving to do basic poo poo like turn off the chorus are cool and good, especially since you can easily poly chain them. If I was to rank them in best to still really good though it would be JX-03 = JU-06 > JP-08 though since the 08 (a) costs more and (b) has had more issues.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
The lack of a mod wheel is starting to irritate me on the Reface DX. There isn't even a way to route the mod wheel CC. Delayed LFO just doesn't cut it sometimes. Would that I had a BCR2000 or some other knobby programmable controller.

Also, my unit decided to do a factory reset during boot up right after I had the perfect split fretless bass / harmonica patch set up. I haven't been able to replicate it.

I'm still baffled that the envelope display is dead loving wrong. It draws a constant time envelope, but it's actually constant rate. So if you draw up something that looks like an AHDSR, the hold segment won't do poo poo. Likewise, draw a DADSR and there isn't any delay.

It's most annoying because of the "it's easier to program than a DX7!" angle. I would be frustrated as hell if I didn't know what was going on. At least the DX7 didn't lie.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
My Arturia V Collection 4 came in today and goddamn that thing weighs a ton.

Because it has a lot of old school 500 page manuals (three of them).

We don't read those right? We just punch around and figure poo poo out and make bleep bloops?

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Speaking of synth plugins, VSTBuzz has Samplephonics' Dirty Modular for 60% off this week.

http://vstbuzz.com/deals/60-off-dirty-modular-by-samplephonics/

I've had it for about a year, I love the sound of it.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

minidracula posted:

Keep in mind that I don't own any of these (yet?):

The Boutiques are, by all accounts, super accurate (to the point of [simulated] chorus noise on the JU-06) and I have no problem with their size or the size of their controls. But I do think that people are right to be put off by the four voice limitation and the limitations that the units have WRT connections.

The JX-3P and JUNO have six voices and the Jupiter has eight. This is arguably essential to their characters and to the play styles that many people are hoping to emulate with these modules (jokes about Jupiter 8s with only seven working voices aside). This is particularly true for the Jupiter, which is coveted for its supermassive pads possibly more than for any other reason.

At the same time, these aren't the JX-3P/JUNO 106/Jupiter 8 and should be judged on their own merits for what they bring to the table. In that regard, I think they're all a solid deal for the money, and chain mode is still a muuuuch cheaper proposition than shelling out $7 grand for a real Jupiter 8 if you want those thick 80's cheesepuffs. That said, it's a super inelegant solution (for one, the slave unit does nothing except supply voices).

I know supply chains and manufacturing don't actually work like this but I'd rather Roland had just doubled the DSP chips from the get-go and charged us $50 more for 8-voice boxes.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Dec 2, 2015

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
For the price of the ReFace DX I could buy an FS1R :ohdear:

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

MrLonghair posted:

For the price of the ReFace DX I could buy an FS1R :ohdear:

Or spend $7 on FM4 if you have an ipad. :haw:

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi

MrLonghair posted:

For the price of 3 ReFace DX I could buy an FS1R :ohdear:
Fixed for real world pricing, they just aren't such stupidly great deals anymore.

I was excited for all these reissue synths, saw the incomplete midi implementation, realized that doing a good impression of an old synth wasn't that important, and ended up with an ms2000br for less than $300.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

krysmopompas posted:

and ended up with an ms2000br for less than $300.

I need to get one of those again, great fun units. The kind of gear I can keep and not just make a load of sample-banks out of then offload because it was made obsolete.

(The FS1R deals are in Sweden, which hasn't escaped the gearslutzy RAA RAA ROLAND BUTT-BOTIQUE RAA madness unscathed)

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

BonoMan posted:

My Arturia V Collection 4 came in today and goddamn that thing weighs a ton.

Because it has a lot of old school 500 page manuals (three of them).

We don't read those right? We just punch around and figure poo poo out and make bleep bloops?

Man I can't believe those things still come in boxes..

Anyway I like synth manuals but I'm weird like that. If you're relatively new to synthesis I'd start by really getting to know the Prophet V or Mini, as they're the simplest and closest to a traditional subtractive synthesis architecture. Take a couple weeks to really learn one, do the same for the other, the start looking at the other non-modular ones to see what else they add to the mix.

The original manuals for many of the synths can be found at archive.org or other places and in some cases are better than Arturia's. The P5's manual in particular has preset diagrams in the back which explain what they're doing and why, with suggestions for further tweaks.

I'd also recommend Gordon Ried's Synth Secrets articles on Sound and Sound, and Mitchell Sgman's book "Steal This Sound!" which is a collection of articles on recreating classic sounds using soft synths such as Arturia's.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Crossposting from my Swedish forum, the guy was all "you guys and your massive halls of synths and racks"

:3::3::3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003

MrLonghair posted:

Crossposting from my Swedish forum, the guy was all "you guys and your massive halls of synths and racks"

:3::3::3:

:eyepop:

is the side just a patch bay? that is awseome. makes me want to get the other two volcas that i don't currently have