Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Sizone posted:

Make a song using only the machinedrum.

OK challenge accepted. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

If someone isn't making music under the name Euro Power they should be.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001
I just removed the battery from my Poly61. No leakage! So it's time to put in a CR2032 holder + diode. Soon I'll be in back business with everyone's least favorite DCO synth for another 30 years.

W424
Oct 21, 2010
Behold the Ghostation

Finally hooked up all the lofi stuff in a usable way. The Mirage isn't mine but on a permanent loan due the dude not having room for it. The Novation is for controlling Mirage. Kawai I've had for ages and have circuit bend. DX11 I got last week. Not pictured is a Zoom 1201 for FX/vocoding.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

ynohtna posted:

That's totally doable and quite simple, but prepare to experience some pain during the implementation. Lemur's custom kinda-C programming language is pitifully slapdash and under-developed, and the Lemur editor totally gives no fucks for lubricating the coding process.

I recall that guys were crapping on the iPad since it was inferior and underpowered compared to their own hardware. It's weird how they completely overlooked the rapid technological development of general-purpose computing hardware (and the willingness of the public to bear with it until it gets really good) - and from the sound of your quote it seems like they got stuck like BlackBerry.

Mrwimmer
Feb 18, 2014

W424 posted:

Behold the Ghostation

Finally hooked up all the lofi stuff in a usable way. The Mirage isn't mine but on a permanent loan due the dude not having room for it. The Novation is for controlling Mirage. Kawai I've had for ages and have circuit bend. DX11 I got last week. Not pictured is a Zoom 1201 for FX/vocoding.

I AM QUITE JEALOUS OF YOUR DX11. MAKE GOOD STUFF WITH IT PLEASE.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Mrwimmer posted:

MAKE STUFF

Please don't troll.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

God drat it.

I am ordering a bunch of Euro module kits today.

I apparently hate having money. And being married. And being employed.

:circlefap:

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
Read http://www.gearslutz.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-electronic-music-production/918430-i-went-modular-what-have-i-done.html

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Does anyone have experience with either the Nektar Panorama or the Novation SL mk2? I'm looking for a new 49key controller and I've more or less narrowed it down to these two. I've got a Maschine so the pad quality on either one doesn't really matter, and I'm using Ableton as a DAW so I think they'll both integrate equally well with some work put in.

I'm really just wondering about the qualities of the keys, build, and anything else I'm forgetting. If there's some other keyboard entirely that would be really nice in the same price range (Akai?) I'm all ears.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Swagger Dagger posted:

Novation SL mk2?

I had one of these until my roommate at the time got hammered and pissed on it. Seriously amazing keyboard, integrates really really well with Ableton and the build quality is great. If I was in the market for a keyboard right now I'd probably be getting another one of those or whatever the red Akai one with a built-in arp is.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

I had one of these until my roommate at the time got hammered and pissed on it.

Was it, was it like that scene from the Chapel show where they're riffing on Rick James?
"Moby, gently caress yo' synth!"

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
I don't know and he blacked out, so gently caress it who knows? He paid to replace it though.

On a less piss-stained note, I'm holding out for the Christmas sale of Live for the next upgrade but I'm trying to figure out if there's any real reason to get Suite vs. regular plus buying Operator on its own, since that's what I really care about. I mean, impulse reverb sounds nice but that's one hell of a price difference.

edit: Got my RM1x, and it has faulty switches. Not super amused with the seller.

edit2: that aside, you can abuse the onboard effects and drumkits to make super modern kicks oh man this thing could be fun when I can use the loving keyboard.

WAFFLEHOUND fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Aug 31, 2014

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

but I'm trying to figure out if there's any real reason to get Suite vs. regular

max4live :getin:

W424
Oct 21, 2010

The only thing I wanted from suite. Gonna buy it when it's on sale the next time.

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

edit: my RM1x has faulty switches.

The plus side is that it's two drops of solder and 20 cents per button to fix.
Downside is that it has to come apart like to the very loving last shred to get to the loving buttons.
So many screws.... AAAARGH

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

The guy getting hugged even looks like Waffle

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
He's hugging himself lol

W424
Oct 21, 2010

I should probably stop buying cheap poo poo.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Assuming I'm a total beginner enticed by the idea of pressing buttons to hear my computer fart, is getting a used Arturia Minilab for what amounts to 80 bucks a good idea?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Lichtenstein posted:

Assuming I'm a total beginner enticed by the idea of pressing buttons to hear my computer fart, is getting a used Arturia Minilab for what amounts to 80 bucks a good idea?
The controller is toy-like garbage. That's not an overstatement of the lack of quality.

The software might vaguely be worth it to some, if they're into a bunch of vintage emulation sounds. Actually I don't know, because I never installed it. I think it requires you to have the controller connected as the world's largest copy protection dongle though.

I cheaped out on my first midi controller keyboard back in 2005 and as a result I barely used it and then put in in storage for a couple of years. I regret that. I have the Minilab now sitting in its box doing nothing.

I recommend against it. Find at least $150-200 for a controller and maybe another $120-150 for a solid softsynth (or play around with the decent free stuff you can find). Cheaping out will leave a sour taste.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Sizone posted:

Make a song using only the machinedrum.

So what do you consider a "song"? I have some jams I just recorded but I'm not sure if you count that as a song.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

net work error posted:

So what do you consider a "song"? I have some jams I just recorded but I'm not sure if you count that as a song.
Anything, anything at all that is more than a 4/8/16 bar loop. So if you chained a few patterns and not all patterns are the same and maybe you twiddled the filter and resonance knob, that totally qualifies. To me at least.

I'm going to try. Not using my MC-303 though; gently caress that. But to put something on soundcloud that lives up to those standards before Columbus day. I won't promise that I'll succeed at that. But I'll try.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Flipperwaldt posted:

Anything, anything at all that is more than a 4/8/16 bar loop. So if you chained a few patterns and not all patterns are the same and maybe you twiddled the filter and resonance knob, that totally qualifies. To me at least.

Pretty much. You probably have an unquantifiable internal metric that will tell you "Hey, this is done enough to subject people to." Looking at my averages, if you can get 5 patterns filled out (say, drums, a bass track or 2, some noises and maybe a pad/string track) you probably have enough phrases going that you can recombine them to make something of satisfying duration and variance that feels like it has some movement, maybe even a beginning, middle and end.

e: which reminds me, never underestimate the importance of multiple bass tracks

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

Went and spent a bunch of money on a wide angle lens because the other one just wasn't able to fit all my synth.

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

Swagger Dagger posted:

Novation SL mk2?

Was fine until some keys just stopped working one day. Never moved or even shaken in its life.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

0dB posted:

Was fine until some keys just stopped working one day. Never moved or even shaken in its life.

Did you pee on it?

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Roland finally confirm their sync box they showed the prototype of at Musikmesse earlier in the year.
http://www.roland.com/products/en/SBX-1/

There's no pricing out yet so it'll be interesting to see how it competes with the smaller market stuff that is out that does this kind of thing already.

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008
I need this.

I've seen dead drummers holding a tighter groove than Ableton does.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

net work error posted:

Roland finally confirm their sync box they showed the prototype of at Musikmesse earlier in the year.
http://www.roland.com/products/en/SBX-1/

There's no pricing out yet so it'll be interesting to see how it competes with the smaller market stuff that is out that does this kind of thing already.

Day one purchase, especially if it's priced like their other ugly green things. It looks like they're making a huge nod to vintage gear nuts and letting it sync with all their old stuff in interesting ways, and I'll hold out hope that the shuffle stuff they're describing is good, since that's something I've been using VSTs for. Also it's an easy solution to my DIN problems since I'm selling the A4.

gently caress you Roland.

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001

AnnoyBot posted:

I just removed the battery from my Poly61. No leakage! So it's time to put in a CR2032 holder + diode. Soon I'll be in back business with everyone's least favorite DCO synth for another 30 years.

Completed the repair today; it seems to work fine. I didn't bother backing up the patches because they were crap. The factory patches are available in a wav somewhere if I need them. I'm wondering now what the patches are that it came back to life with; they're different than before but definitely not factory either. Do the params get randomized when the battery is removed? They're all different, not just a bunch of identical init patches.

Anyway, that was pretty easy so I feel a lot better about the other battery jobs I have pending. Luckily none of them are critical like this one, just old soldered in button cells that are dying.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Day one purchase, especially if it's priced like their other ugly green things. It looks like they're making a huge nod to vintage gear nuts and letting it sync with all their old stuff in interesting ways, and I'll hold out hope that the shuffle stuff they're describing is good, since that's something I've been using VSTs for. Also it's an easy solution to my DIN problems since I'm selling the A4.

gently caress you Roland.

What DIN gear do you own that's not stored somewhere?

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Day one purchase, especially if it's priced like their other ugly green things.

If this site is accurate them ummmm, nope

http://www.interstatemusic.com/958831-Roland-SBX-1-Sync-Box-Multi-format-Sync-for-Computers-and-Electronic-Instruments.aspx

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Man that has GOT to be a placeholder price or roland out they gotdamn mind. :nyd:

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Startyde posted:

Man that has GOT to be a placeholder price or roland out they gotdamn mind. :nyd:

There's another site that has it up for ~300 Euros (~$400 USD), so yeah hopefully it's just people guessing, but I've never seen a really cheap MIDI <-> CV box, let alone one that also does DIN Sync 24 & 48, plus all the other bells & whistles.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Dotcom Jillionaire posted:

What DIN gear do you own that's not stored somewhere?

Technically, my A4 :eng99:

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

Hi guys. I bought a Volca keys and am slowly getting used to it, but I find myself wanting a different sound than I can currently get out of that or the Volca bass.

So I went window shopping at Guitar Center, and after some (lovely, half competent) help played with some of the more highly recommended analog synth's . The Korg MS-20 mini, Arturia MiniBrute, and the Moog Sub Phatty. They all seemed to get the best sounds down low, not up higher like I was looking for, and they all seemed to do harsh/gritty better than smooth. Maybe it was just me. I liked the Moog the most and the Korg the least, although I didn't get to play with the patch bay on that one. But I like one synth better than all of them and it was (ugh) digital.

It was a Roland Gaia SH-01. Now I figured out part of it- it had some effects on and they helped. Maybe I could get that with the keys. The other part was the tons of different wave forms it had since it is analog emulation. I also liked the feel of the keys.

Any thoughts on the Gaia? Is it loved/hated, and is there anything cheaper out there like that?

AxeBreaker fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Sep 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dan Hollis
Jun 16, 2006

Surprise!!!
Native Instruments released a keyboard:

http://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/komplete/keyboards/komplete-kontrol-s-series/?content=2771