Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

net work error posted:

Someone posted that they were using a hydrophone earlier. Any recommendations on that because I've seen some techno dudes using that and it looks neat.

:tipshat:

I got mine from http://hydrophones.blogspot.co.uk 'cos I know Jez dogfoods his products for his own field recordings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Just gonna leave this here:

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/OP-1+Key-button+Removal+and+Cleaning+Guide/20381

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Don't spill your mai tai all up ons the OP1.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Here's a useless thing that is totally awesome.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ginkosynthese/sampleslicer

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRhuVy2lT84

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WlS2dfZ3L0

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Oh man it's like a MDUW ram machine in a module <3
I like the idea of generative sampling but I think not being able to save a dump of what's in memory is a shame. Even if it were just a couple on-board slots. ~oh well maybe we'll release an expander that goes on this header we left there.~ I know modules are expensive to develop, produce and distribute but come on man. Don't cocktease and then want $hundred+ for something that should be there in the first place.

This dude comes to the AHNE meets, nice guy. That white whale is impressive in person, CustomSynth UK did it iirc. Even up close it's gorgeous.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

SYRO is available to download now, if anyone else wants to feel a lot like they suck at composition and sound design for an hour or so tonight.

:frogsiren: It's also a REALLY loving GOOD album. :frogsiren:

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
Has anyone tried the KORG Taktile line of controllers? I didn't realize that some of the versions of this controller came with the Triton engine built in. I'm looking for a good DAW integrated keyboard controller with sounds built in (I don't got space for JUST a MIDI controller). I wouldn't normally consider Triton sounds in my music but there are some classic sounds in there like the M1 Organ (which I currently use the Electribe for). I typically am impressed with KORG's products and sound though so I'm thinking this might be up my alley. Any feedback on the feel of the keys, sound of the sounds, and overall impression of the Taktile controllers?

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

Dotcom Jillionaire posted:

Has anyone tried the KORG Taktile line of controllers? I didn't realize that some of the versions of this controller came with the Triton engine built in. I'm looking for a good DAW integrated keyboard controller with sounds built in (I don't got space for JUST a MIDI controller). I wouldn't normally consider Triton sounds in my music but there are some classic sounds in there like the M1 Organ (which I currently use the Electribe for). I typically am impressed with KORG's products and sound though so I'm thinking this might be up my alley. Any feedback on the feel of the keys, sound of the sounds, and overall impression of the Taktile controllers?

I'm not the most experienced person here, but I bought a Taktile 49 and here are my thoughts. First, I like the keys, they are springier/heavier than most so If you like a light feel, go elsewhere. Mine doesn't have sounds but I prefer using plugins or my Volcas anyways. Mine has an arpeggiator, which is nice, and the touch pad can be used as a mouse with the touch of a button. There are presets for a bunch of DAWs (not Reaper lol) and a bunch of spaces for more midi maps, etc. It comes with the Korg legacy collection but I installed the MS-20 from that and I can't get it to load it's sound engine at all. That all said I pretty much got it for the way the keys feel and all the knobs/pads, anything else is icing.

Also I bought the Volca Beats so now I have em all. I also bought a Monotron Delay, but I really wanted a Kaos pad. Anyway, the main point was to have a delay on the Bass, and for that it works fine. The delay and feedback settings are much more extreme than on the keys, and there is a lot of hiss above 60% feedback.

david mammoth
Oct 15, 2012
I don't own one so take this with as many grains of salt as necessary but I think the Triton taktiles come with a bunch of preset Triton PCMs as opposed to the engine as such, though presumably the M1 organ/piano etc. will be among those so that may not matter to you.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
Ah that's good to know. I can't find a patch list anywhere for the Taktiles. There's definitely a Triton patch list for the Triton series but I doubt all those sounds come in the Taktile package. Having the PCM samples is fine for me honestly, as long as it makes some kind of sound I find desirable and isn't just a controller that takes up PRECIOUS STUDIO SPACE!

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

Dotcom Jillionaire posted:

Ah that's good to know. I can't find a patch list anywhere for the Taktiles. There's definitely a Triton patch list for the Triton series but I doubt all those sounds come in the Taktile package. Having the PCM samples is fine for me honestly, as long as it makes some kind of sound I find desirable and isn't just a controller that takes up PRECIOUS STUDIO SPACE!

It says on Korg's site that all 512 Triton patches come with it.

Personally, I felt I wouldn't use the sounds, especially if I can't really tweak them. There's hundreds of presets on all the free and paid Synth's I have. I don't care whether they are in the controller or not. I was kinda considering an UltraNova as an alternative but no one here had one I could play with.

AxeBreaker fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Sep 22, 2014

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

AxeBreaker posted:

Also I bought the Volca Beats so now I have em all. I also bought a Monotron Delay, but I really wanted a Kaos pad. Anyway, the main point was to have a delay on the Bass, and for that it works fine. The delay and feedback settings are much more extreme than on the keys, and there is a lot of hiss above 60% feedback.

A lot of hiss above 60%? There's hiss all the time. The hiss is a feature of the Monotrons :colbert:

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

I know it's supposed to sound like a nasty tape delay. I just didn't expect it to white out whatever I just played until I turned the feedback up higher. At that level I can only see using it before a drop or at the end of a song.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

New, knobby, SID synth. Anybody want to buy a SammichSID? :v:

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Startyde posted:

This actually looks really well done. And it's in the same pricerange as a Sammich or MidiBox one built and populated.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
And it'll take both kinds of SIDs.

Mrwimmer
Feb 18, 2014

Startyde posted:

If I were not saving for a move, yes. Seems I'll just be teaching myself SID trackers in the meantime and wishing I could just do it with my gameboy.

Also, RE: Synthtember, I'm totally not gonna make it. I'm going through all of those things you have to do when you finish an album that aren't in any way musical. Just pretend I wrote this for it instead

Mrwimmer fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Sep 23, 2014

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

RE: synthember: I started making animations for my music does that count.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer
For me, Synthember is every week:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tYa7xYAFoM&list=PL5AAC61D0DF9D715D&index=1

... and from now on there will be even more going on visually too!

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
I did a synth repair myself you guys. :woop:

Now to make some OP-1 jams.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

I did a synth repair myself you guys. :woop:

plugging you dead OP-1 into a wall charger != synth repair

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Shut it it totally does I'm a synth repair guy now $100/hr plus parts and a 3 month lead time.

I got my OP-1 and it had a problem with one of the keys, managed to take it apart and reassemble it with some instructions from TE and now it works fine. The dude who sold it to me is pretty happy I was able to fix it for $0 as well.

Also I've already actually kind of made a jam with it I get this synth :c00lbutt:

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
I thought you would!

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

OK, I followed you guys into this rabbit hole and now I have a bunch of synths and a MIDI controller. SO How do I put it all together? USB audio and MIDI interfaces look like the way to go, but they are costly and I don't want to buy the wrong one.

It looks like I need an audio interface with a bunch of unbalanced ins- any recommendations?
For midi, I need multiple outs for the Volcas. I only have 1 on my Taktile.

I almost thought about getting a cheap mixer but that would be really lovely to record from and probably isn't a long term solution.

TL/DR how do I tie all this poo poo together?

EDIT: yes I realize there is a thread on interfaces already but all the people with piles of synth's to interface are here.

AxeBreaker fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Sep 24, 2014

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

AxeBreaker posted:

OK, I followed you guys into this rabbit hole and now I have a bunch of synths and a MIDI controller. SO How do I put it all together? USB audio and MIDI interfaces look like the way to go, but they are costly and I don't want to buy the wrong one.

It looks like I need an audio interface with a bunch of unbalanced ins- any recommendations?
For midi, I need multiple outs for the Volcas. I only have 1 on my Taktile.

I almost thought about getting a cheap mixer but that would be really lovely to record from and probably isn't a long term solution.
How many MIDI outs and audio ins do you need?

The Volcas don't (I think) have MIDI thru, so you do need multiple physical outs. I use a couple MOTU micro lites for that. USB bus powered, 5 ins, 5 outs.

Regarding audio interfaces, more inputs = more money. I'm personally anti-mixer, pro-patchbay, so I just add a patchbay when I need more inputs. But I multi-track everything so I almost never need to monitor/record more than one external device at a time. If you think you'll need to actually hear multiple devices playing live simultaneously, you do need to think multi-input or get a cheap analog mixer to run into an entry-level interface. You can find relatively affordable USB interfaces with multiple ins. I like the Steinbergs, MOTUs, and RMEs, dislike the Focusrite Scarletts, and don't have any experience with Tascam- but Tascam's the first place I'd look for many inputs for not many dollars.

EDIT: Also, you might have a hard time finding an interface (or a mixer or a patch bay) with unbalanced ins. Cheapest route to nerdvana is to just use (good) unbalanced/TS cables when connecting gear with unbalanced outs to interfaces/etc with balanced ins. Some folks hotwire their own TS-to-TRS cables. Others DI everything into a console.

Radiapathy fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Sep 24, 2014

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011
I will be in Chicago in early October for about two weeks. I have been seriously working at my musicianship for the last year or so, and am actually not terrible now.

I would love to meet some goon musician friends while I'm there. I can't do PMs but just let me know and I'll post my email.

Hope to meet some neat goons!

java
May 7, 2005

After having a microbrute for maybe all of 6 months, I've decided that what I really need is an MS-20. This is how it begins isn't it? This is the start of my impeding slide into further poverty and sleeping in a nest of patch cables.

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

java posted:

After having a microbrute for maybe all of 6 months, I've decided that what I really need is an MS-20. This is how it begins isn't it? This is the start of my impeding slide into further poverty and sleeping in a nest of patch cables.

But do you need an MS-20 Mini or the MS-20 Kit that is full size and costs twice as much. As an added bonus, you have to assemble it yourself, giving it it's own unique brokenness!

At least you get to set the jumper for early or late MS-20 filter implementations yourself, woo!

W424
Oct 21, 2010

AxeBreaker posted:

Yeah don't get a mixer if you plan to record anything. I've allways used an interface + converter(s) if need be. Behringer ADA8000 is really cheap for extra 8 channels, I have two ports so I'll just get another if I need more channels. My bandmate has 3 ada8000's currently.

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord
This keyboard has too many knobs and buttons and I'm downsizing to something with much less knobs, so if you want this lemmie know.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
At the same price, I'm torn between the Shruthi-SMR4mkII and DSI Mopho. My guess is that the Mopho is the better unit, but the hackability of the Shruthi is attractive. Am I likely to be disappointed by either?

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

java posted:

I'd love the ms 20 a lot more if it used volt/octave instead of whatever poo poo it does, hz/octave??

I wanna interface with my poo poo man.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Write acid. Plug CV out from 303 into MS-20. Give no fucks about tuning. Crank resonance. Destroy ears. Smile.

e:
Better still, plug audio out from 303 into MS-20 ESP. Twiddle knobs until frequency is total freakout.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I WILL DEVOUR YOUR BALLS!
:quagmire:

sliderule posted:

At the same price, I'm torn between the Shruthi-SMR4mkII and DSI Mopho. My guess is that the Mopho is the better unit, but the hackability of the Shruthi is attractive. Am I likely to be disappointed by either?

I'd judge them more on the sound, as they sound significantly different.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

I'd love the ms 20 a lot more if it used volt/octave instead of whatever poo poo it does, hz/octave??

I wanna interface with my poo poo man.

One of the many reasons why I'm getting an A4 is that it has 4 CV out's that can do either volt/octave or hz/octave with a ton of oscillation options. The Pulse 2 has this same feature but only has 2 CV out and I've really come to realize I don't need another mono-synth since I'm most likely getting the Rhythm Wolf and it comes with a ghetto one and the Shruthi is the only other mono synth that's interesting to me right now.

In other news, it appears my minibrute was so hosed when it was originally manufactured that they're just shipping me a brand new one... which I can turn around and sell for $400 or the price I originally got it for. :pervert:

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008
For all the 8-bit lovers out here, watch these:

http://www.redbullmusicacademy.com/magazine/diggin-in-the-carts

Sjoewe fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Sep 24, 2014

W424
Oct 21, 2010
http://ploguechipsounds.blogspot.fi/2014/09/plogue-livenes.html
Tried this with an emulator and xbox360 controller today, my old NES might still be somewhere hmmm.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Syro is so loving good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Oldstench posted:

Syro is so loving good.

Let's pool together ML's resources and timeshare a PS-3300 (WH would sell it in a fit of GAS)