Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Dotcom Jillionaire posted:

But getting back to Eurorack though....

I think I've filled out my system completely for the first time! It's a small system, I plan to keep it that way. Wondering if anyone has a critique. I'm mostly focused on rhythm and sequence generation and evolving patterns with a few unique sound sources and filter/envelope gen. The bottom row is stuff I may or may not substitute into the rack if I reconfigure things, so ignore those things.

This is also why I have yet to delve into Eurorack. I like that my dotcom system does not look like a child threw up on it.

I also wonder, and this is not an indictment of anyone but just me wondering in general, if the explosion of boutique modulation doodads and things is really to everyone's benefit? I mean, you can get *a lot* done with 2-3 oscillators, a couple of plain ol' ADSR envelopes, some sample & hold, slew limiter, generic noise modules etc. I mean, *a lot*. That's not to say you can't with those modules either, but, how many people really know what the hell Maths even does ? (I actually still don't, I start reading the description and halfway through my eyes glaze over). Like we've cursed ourselves with a gluttony of choices. Kind of like how every Buchla video I have ever seen/heard is literally just nonsense robot farts. Not that those aren't fun sometimes but, you feel like with all that functionality, we should be achieving more than flatulence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

toadee posted:

This is also why I have yet to delve into Eurorack. I like that my dotcom system does not look like a child threw up on it.

There's PLENTY of lab coat & ponytail wearing, straight laced test equipment looking stuff in euro. Some of the best bang for the buck modules are exactly that.

quote:

I also wonder, and this is not an indictment of anyone but just me wondering in general, if the explosion of boutique modulation doodads and things is really to everyone's benefit?

Absolutely! Some of the stuff that's come out recently is extremely useful and with the digital modules very feature dense or unique in function. Just look at the 5U conversion cottage industry that's out there.
I think more choice is always good, there's a lot of great and interesting stuff out there at every price point. I'll agree that much of it is Taco Bell, mixing the same ingredients in different ways but when they're really convenient combos of normalling like Galilean Moons' EG/LFO/VCA that's nice to have around.
Viva la Renaissance!

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Startyde posted:

Just look at the 5U conversion cottage industry that's out there.

The who? Are there people converting Euro modules for 5U/Dotcom? That would be nice (please don't say MOTM 5U)

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
I can understand why someone might build a gigantic modular system but all too often the results I hear from those kinds of systems are nonsense. The customizability is one reason people get so deep into it (and end up spending a lot of money because they *might* need that one module that does something similar to their other 1000 modules, but slightly different). I don't know the functions I'm missing out on necessarily by designing what I've designed and I probably prefer it that way.

The idea of having 20 modules that all do the same thing but slightly differently is interesting to me because it makes you consider your workflow and what you really need more closely. I can't afford the space (or the money) to get 20 of the sameish modules. That hasn't stopped many though.

The Bubblesounds VCA4p for example, I need a VCA, I have a mixer. I was looking at a 4hp Malekko VCA, it did what i needed, but the Bubblesounds gives me both functions in one, plus an extra mixer channel (the MA Mix I have is 3 chans 1 sum output) and 2 more VCAs than the Malekko would have given me and in the same amount of space the 2 separate modules would have taken up. For someone who needs to conserve space this kind of module is perfect and exactly what I need.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

stillvisions posted:

One thing to consider is something to tie all the parts together - you've got an ER-1, MoPho and Microbrute, maybe a groovebox that will output midi to tie them together and produce all-purpose sounds? I loved my old Korg EMX (again, stolen) and I also used that as the master brain for all the synths lacking in the front end (MoPho, Evolver) and some sort of mixer, if you're planning to control it all from hardware. You can set all the channels on the EMX to individual channels too. I'm sure there's one without an audio engine that's cheaper, but you can't go too wrong with that if you're going in hardware.

I was considering this, actually. I don't ever play live, and I haven't had any issues with DAW/hardware integration to date, but I think the idea of being able to arrange something without even opening up a DAW appeals to me. Unfortunately it's something I know literally nothing about, having been effectively born into the DAW era. I was looking into something like the EMX, or hell, even my iPad. Theoretically, all I need is something that I can create multiple sequences on, then send them separately on discrete MIDI channels, right?

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
The thing you're looking for is, unsurprisingly, called a "sequencer". genome and das lauflicht are decent ios ones.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

But getting back to Eurorack though....

I think I've filled out my system completely for the first time! It's a small system, I plan to keep it that way. Wondering if anyone has a critique. I'm mostly focused on rhythm and sequence generation and evolving patterns with a few unique sound sources and filter/envelope gen. The bottom row is stuff I may or may not substitute into the rack if I reconfigure things, so ignore those things.

Nice! Sort of similar to my own system, though yours seems to have a lot more random voltage sources.

Can you say much about the ardcore module? My friend has a little 3U skiff that's about half full right now and he's looking for modules that will give him a lot of flexibility in a small size. He wants to build something like a musique concrete workshop in a box, with sampling and sample mangling being paramount and I was wondering if the ardcore has anything like that up its sleeve.

Also this is just a throwout question but have you ever noticed the disting doing anything funky when using it as a voltage adder? Sometimes I like to run 1v/oct signals through it and randomly pitch them up and down in octaves with output from the brain seed, and I've noticed that every once in a while it seems to "sap" voltage from my metropolis and everything slowly dips in pitch until I wiggle knobs and press buttons. I thought it might be a problem with 5volt supply but I'm well within the tolerances on my power supply so who knows! It's rare and odd and only does it when the disting is in the signal chain.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

MockingQuantum posted:

I was considering this, actually. I don't ever play live, and I haven't had any issues with DAW/hardware integration to date, but I think the idea of being able to arrange something without even opening up a DAW appeals to me. Unfortunately it's something I know literally nothing about, having been effectively born into the DAW era. I was looking into something like the EMX, or hell, even my iPad. Theoretically, all I need is something that I can create multiple sequences on, then send them separately on discrete MIDI channels, right?

As Sizone says, yeah, you really just need a sequencer; I was suggesting the EMX as a way to get some additional sounds if that was something needed, and sometimes it's nice to just have a single piece of gear you can take standalone somewhere to play on, but there are a bunch on IOS if you want to go through an iOS/MIDI adapter instead. http://discchord.com/ is a vast repository of reviews or previews of IOS apps related to music. I like standalone stuff on iOS, but I've never tried using anything as a sequencer on there, so have a look at the ones Sizone suggested before you go for new hardware.

toadee posted:

I also wonder, and this is not an indictment of anyone but just me wondering in general, if the explosion of boutique modulation doodads and things is really to everyone's benefit? I mean, you can get *a lot* done with 2-3 oscillators, a couple of plain ol' ADSR envelopes, some sample & hold, slew limiter, generic noise modules etc. I mean, *a lot*. That's not to say you can't with those modules either, but, how many people really know what the hell Maths even does ? (I actually still don't, I start reading the description and halfway through my eyes glaze over). Like we've cursed ourselves with a gluttony of choices. Kind of like how every Buchla video I have ever seen/heard is literally just nonsense robot farts. Not that those aren't fun sometimes but, you feel like with all that functionality, we should be achieving more than flatulence.

I'm sorta with you there - I lean more towards the modules that keep their designs more direct, and I don't know if the "500 flavors of voltage controlled noise! This input does random things to your sound!" proliferation really adds much. I guess in the world of so many VCOs you have to do something to stand out, but I lean towards PIttsburgh and Intellijel for modules that are mostly self-explanatory. I do like the Maths, but it took a lot of reading to really get its full use, and really, I'd be using mostly the examples in the back of the manual; it's a good multi-purpose module, though I do wish they went more direct on their designs..

As for the robot farts, yeah, that's something that the eurorack community seems to be in love with that I'm not big into. My idealist side says they're trying to expand the boundaries of music by doing things that are really only feasible in modular. My cynic side says it's folks where the song creation process involves plugging in cables until you run out, then deciding whatever you've got is the final result.

Anyway, here's my current setup (minus the MIDI module which hasn't been soldered together yet) - the module order's wrong, I have to shuffle them all to make better sense.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Sizone posted:

The thing you're looking for is, unsurprisingly, called a "sequencer". genome and das lauflicht are decent ios ones.

Well yeah, I know what a sequencer is, I more meant that I didn't know whether there is much in the way of multitrack sequencing available in hardware units. Thanks for the recommendations, though, I think I'll try one of those apps rather than go the hardware route.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

So are there power plugs on the back of all those things? what powers them?

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

A MIRACLE posted:

So are there power plugs on the back of all those things? what powers them?

Heat from burning money.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

net work error posted:

Heat from burning money.

...and the tears of neglected family, friends and pets.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

sofullofhate posted:

...and the tears of neglected family, friends and pets.

Says the man who bought the last of my euro.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

toadee posted:

The who? Are there people converting Euro modules for 5U/Dotcom? That would be nice (please don't say MOTM 5U)

Yep! I've seen some stuff that's pretty :effort: like leaving panel mounted knobs as they were and wiring all the jacks in rows at the bottom, but I've seen good work too. I'm not sure of who's actively building atm, I'm not in 5U, but I think lowgain and manhattan both do so on the reg. Analog Craftsman in Boston, he's done metasonix, synthtech, and blacet(iirc) conversions. Hexinverter worked with some dude to get 1x and 4x simpleseqs behind panels in 5U and did a few runs. That's just the things I see in passing or on muff's DIY forum.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Startyde posted:

Yep! I've seen some stuff that's pretty :effort: like leaving panel mounted knobs as they were and wiring all the jacks in rows at the bottom, but I've seen good work too. I'm not sure of who's actively building atm, I'm not in 5U, but I think lowgain and manhattan both do so on the reg. Analog Craftsman in Boston, he's done metasonix, synthtech, and blacet(iirc) conversions. Hexinverter worked with some dude to get 1x and 4x simpleseqs behind panels in 5U and did a few runs. That's just the things I see in passing or on muff's DIY forum.

Lowgain does do 5U conversion nbut I think he's pretty back logged til he's done with NAMM.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

MockingQuantum posted:

Well yeah, I know what a sequencer is, I more meant that I didn't know whether there is much in the way of multitrack sequencing available in hardware units. Thanks for the recommendations, though, I think I'll try one of those apps rather than go the hardware route.

There's always the Cirklon if you hate having money. Or a cheaper option would be an MPC.

The correct solution is to buy everything from this guy and then buy the Cirklon anyway..

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

MockingQuantum posted:

When you're ready for hardware, there is the Yamaha Rs7000 (akai MPCs are also super popular). I've been noticing that ever since I got my iPad, I sort of really prefer sequencing on it. I'm also pretty sure that the quality of the stuff I've made has gone down.

Moby might still have an Rm1x adorned with Rainbow Dash stickers that he might be willing to sell you.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Sizone posted:

Moby might still have an Rm1x adorned with Rainbow Dash stickers that he might be willing to sell you.

If Waffles is selling that poo poo, I'll fight you for it.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
I'm selling off everything but a couple of things but considering shipping costs from Hawaii and the weight/value of the RM1x I'll probably just set it up as a midi controller.

Also I get that I look like Moby and it doesn't really bother me but you're kinda running that one into the ground there, champ.

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008
So I'm thinking of selling off my Juno 60 for something more modern and after research I've been hung up on pretty much three choices: a Nord Lead 4, a Prophet 08 or a Virus TI2, do you guys have any hands on experience with these synths?
I just want something that's a little more all round and versatile, but I just can't decide which would be best for my needs. I make house/techno and I like hands on control with minimal menu diving.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion

"the tb-3 is a superior instrument"

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

I'm not sure if that's a Moby look of approval or disapproval but now is a good time to remind everyone Moby made some real rear end acid back in the day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2j961BgU4X4

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

Sjoewe posted:

So I'm thinking of selling off my Juno 60 for something more modern

I have a mostly-restored 106 that could be for sale at the right price. :v:

SineRider
Oct 10, 2012

Come on die young

Mr. Sharps posted:

Nice! Sort of similar to my own system, though yours seems to have a lot more random voltage sources.

Can you say much about the ardcore module? My friend has a little 3U skiff that's about half full right now and he's looking for modules that will give him a lot of flexibility in a small size. He wants to build something like a musique concrete workshop in a box, with sampling and sample mangling being paramount and I was wondering if the ardcore has anything like that up its sleeve.

I have an Ardcore plus the expander module. It's super convenient to be able to load in whatever sketch you need and change it's function. I use mine a lot as a sequencer and clock divider. I haven't gone through all the sketches or attempted to make my own yet, so I can't really say how well it would work in the context of a musique concrete. But, if your friend is looking for something a bit bigger, I'd highly recommend either the Phonogene or the Nebulae.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion

SineRider posted:

I have an Ardcore plus the expander module. It's super convenient to be able to load in whatever sketch you need and change it's function. I use mine a lot as a sequencer and clock divider. I haven't gone through all the sketches or attempted to make my own yet, so I can't really say how well it would work in the context of a musique concrete. But, if your friend is looking for something a bit bigger, I'd highly recommend either the Phonogene or the Nebulae.

I must know everything you can tell me about the Ardcore, I don't own one but I like the concept of it (reprogrammable, Arduino is easy to work with, it can fill in for any function or module you may be missing in your rack). The Euroduino looks attractive as well, it's smaller than the Ardcore and it has programmable switches (though the Ardcore has more knobs). I assume there are more sketches available for the Ardcore though. Can you point to any good resources for downloading Ardcore sketches? What cool functions have you come across for the module?

SineRider
Oct 10, 2012

Come on die young

I must know everything you can tell me about the Ardcore, I don't own one but I like the concept of it (reprogrammable, Arduino is easy to work with, it can fill in for any function or module you may be missing in your rack). The Euroduino looks attractive as well, it's smaller than the Ardcore and it has programmable switches (though the Ardcore has more knobs). I assume there are more sketches available for the Ardcore though. Can you point to any good resources for downloading Ardcore sketches? What cool functions have you come across for the module?

Well you definitely have the right idea about it. The best part is it's pretty much endless functionality. I bought the Ardcore and expander module used and the guy sent me a folder filled with sketches. You can find a bunch of github too. Here are the main snazzyfx sketches
https://github.com/darwingrosse/ArdCore-Code

There are some interesting sketches on muffwiggler too
http://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=106377

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Guys please tell me the love I'm feeling for this is entirely irrational

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Monophonic-...utorefresh=true

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

brb stuffing a bunch of doepfer PCBs in a box

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
that'll be $3,000 please

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Sizone posted:

When you're ready for hardware, there is the Yamaha Rs7000 (akai MPCs are also super popular). I've been noticing that ever since I got my iPad, I sort of really prefer sequencing on it. I'm also pretty sure that the quality of the stuff I've made has gone down.

Thanks for the suggestion. I've messed around with the MPCs (I think it was a 1000) a little and I'm not crazy about them. I know plenty of people who swear by them, though. I think I might casually keep an eye out for an Rm1x, I feel like it's worth it to at least give it a try.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Trust me, you want the RS7000 if anything. Rm1x has the fatal flaw that, in grid record mode, it only plays back the track you're recording, all the others are muted. That alone made me sell mine and pick up its bigger brother.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Sizone posted:

Trust me, you want the RS7000 if anything. Rm1x has the fatal flaw that, in grid record mode, it only plays back the track you're recording, all the others are muted. That alone made me sell mine and pick up its bigger brother.

Hmm, good to know. Well the increase in cost makes it a less attractive "buy it and try it out" option, but I won't rule it out entirely.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Resell value on both seems to be rising steadily so it's not the worst "try before you buy" investment. And, honestly, though I'm, at least, temporarily moving away from using them, sequencing with a hardware "808" style interface is loving wonderful and it's really something everyone needs to experience. I waffled (mobied) around for years and never really got much music made, the day I got an Rm1x I was instantly making actual songs.

e: electribes are substantially cheaper and a lot of people seem to like them as well

Sizone fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Dec 17, 2014

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I made a real track using my shruthi xt
https://soundcloud.com/downpour/quid-novisti

It's used on the main synth line nad loads of the noises that came and go in the background. pretty much entirely piped through guitar rig, i dont really use the synth without it.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

cubicle gangster posted:

It's used on the main synth line nad loads of the noises that came and go in the background. pretty much entirely piped through guitar rig, i dont really use the synth without it.

Dig this a lot. Also hello fellow Miami synthgoon.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ARP-2500-ANALOG-MODULAR-SYNTHESIZER-VINTAGE-SUPER-RARE-/151518698404?pt=Keyboards_MIDI&hash=item234737dba4

brb, robbing bank

Seriously though -- this seems a bit out of whack, even for a 2500, doesn't it?

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

So I checked up on the ship date on the Electribe Santa pre-ordered for me from sweetwater and for those that ordered early enough, it's tomorrow. Yay!
I hope it can push me into making actual songs or coherent jams instead of endlessly loving with 16 part Volca loops over really boring drums.

The Volca sequencers are kinda like the RMX-1 with the balls cut off, right? Well, they have some new features but only 8 memory slots and no patch memory or anything.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

toadee posted:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ARP-2500-ANALOG-MODULAR-SYNTHESIZER-VINTAGE-SUPER-RARE-/151518698404?pt=Keyboards_MIDI&hash=item234737dba4

brb, robbing bank

Seriously though -- this seems a bit out of whack, even for a 2500, doesn't it?

I'm sure this gentleman knows the value of his high quality items.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

AxeBreaker posted:

The Volca sequencers are kinda like the RMX-1

Not even remotely. They're more akin to the sequencers on Tb-303s. One track (or maybe 2 or 3), no real editing capabilities, no display, no a lot of things. You can do with an rm1-x pretty much what ever you can do with a software midi sequencer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

cubicle gangster posted:

This is awesome mate, the low end is super deep and solid. Is there a big sidechained reverb on the kick or is it an off beat sub? Chucked you a follow, I love that kinda techno.

Here is a sketch I've been working on for the upcoming compo, kinda minimal/deep house or something. It's not really ending up particularly "sexy" though, any ideas for spicing it up a bit? I think I might finish this up and work on something more appropriate and 80's instead.

https://soundcloud.com/fieldbalm/a-wip