Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
code:
INT. WIGGLIEN'S BEDROOM STUDIO - DAY

Synthesizers, equipment racks, cables and cats fill the room.

WIGGLIEN
          This is the fuckin' American Dream.
          This is my fuckin' dream, y'all!
          All this sheeyit! Look at my sheeyit!
          I got… I got MODULES! Every fuckin' make.
          I got modified drum machines!
          I got gold Moogies. Motherfuckin' KOR-gies.
          I got I Dream of Wires. On repeat. I DREAM OF WIRES ON REPEAT. Constant, y'all!
          I got cats! Synth cats! Mixing it up with synth cats.
          Smell of cat piss? I SMELL OF CAT PISS!
          That ain't a fuckin' instrument; that's a fuckin' art piece. My fuckin' spaceship!
          U.S.S. Enterprise on this poo poo. I go to different planets on this motherfucker!
          Me and my fuckin' wigglers here, we takeoff. TAKE OFF!
          Look at my poo poo. Look at my poo poo!
          I got my blue Book-lahs. I got my fuckin' META-SONIX.
          I got cables; I got different colours.
          I got them tapes. Look at that poo poo, I got tapes. I got reels!
          Look at my sheeyit! This ain't nuttin', I got GARAGES of this poo poo!

SOLINA GOMEZ giggles, nonplussed. She and OAKLEY BENSON push Wigglien onto his bed.
Softly, then more vigorously, they thrust a patch cable in and out of his mouth.

EXT. WIGGLIEN'S POOL SIDE - NIGHT

THE GIRLS walk over to a MINT VINTAGE YAMAHA CS80.
They sit down, start playing and singing a Britney Spears song.

WIGGLIEN
                                  (agitated)
          What the gently caress you doin' with my sheeyit, y'all?
          What the gently caress? That ain't right!
          That's not what that's for!
          Stop that. You're out of control!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

sliderule posted:

I was actually looking for the electrical interface for the breath control in jack on a DX7. I can massage the signal out of a readily available pressure sensor if I know what kind of signal the port is expecting. I don't want to have to pay $HUNDREDS when I could rig something up for $TENS.

Off the top of my head, the BC1 eats -9V on the tip of the stereo plug, and returns it voltage divided on the ring.

I'll dig the CS-01/BC1's service manual schematics off a different laptop later if you want.

Edit: and on such subjects, don't forget, all you Ensoniq DP4 owners, that it's expression pedal input also accepts CVs.

ynohtna fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Mar 19, 2014

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Poly 800? Really?

It's a bag of plastic poo poo. Avoid.

Edit for context: At my first fulltime job I had a JX3p and a Poly 800ii on my desk. Usage ratio: 99/1.

ynohtna fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Mar 24, 2014

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Bitwig's early betas sounded bettercrashed more.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Whole buncha stuff I've got to catch up on in this thread, but important things first…

What's this kitty's name?!

What's this bunny's name?!

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Here's the schematic of the Yamaha BC1 breath controller:

(The whole set of CS-01 user & service manuals are here for the curious. Lots of interesting circuit optimisations and tricks in its design.)

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Go for it, Stoca Zola! I've just finished rearranging some of my rackmount stuff to setup my drum/effects rack.

Not shown: lots of over-thinking and head scratching.

Hrm, this digital clock doesn't seem to function right. :saddowns:

On the long-past topic of using guitar pedals on synths, my recommendation for that is to have some EQ pedals to hand if you're lacking in full fat mixer channels (Behringer sell some graphic EQ pedals for dirt cheap). Being able to sonically sculpt the input to find the right sweet spot is a god-send. The Line6 PODs are also great at giving synth tones some wonderful heft and weight.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Your Computer posted:

Since it's really neat having a tiny speaker when you just want to sit down with a synth and do some noodling without wiring everything up, I've decided on the name Noodles :colbert:

Noodles is a great name for a speaker bunny. :3:

Junior says "hi." (Get off that modular, Junior, before I start blaming you for it's non-functional state.)

Griff Lee posted:

I haven't posted anything yet but I've been playing with it constantly for the last few days and it's boatloads of fun. I will try to share ASAP! :)

In the meantime, you still need to tell us the name of your fluffy synth kitty. :colbert:

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Griff Lee posted:

Lucy, Queen of the Dumb Idiots <3

What a beauty. :3:

Tiger would say "hi" but he's busy making music

or sleeping stylishly.

I've actually been separated from him since breaking up with my ex and the neighbourhood stray has already been claimed. Gonna have to find a new synth moggy!

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Sjoewe posted:

So I got drunk the other night and it seems I've promised this guy to be a test-participant in his new FM-synthesis class. :ohdear:

FM really ain't that bad. You'll see.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
It's Arturia tat. Wait a few months: there'll be a better alternatives on the way, and this one will be getting blown out at pennies on the pound.

Much like those Korg nano-thingies (and now the Volcas: man that tide sure did swept past fast), their peak value point is reached on the second hand market.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Because Roland totally paid usage rights to all the instrument manufacturers from whom they sampled their wave ROM sources. :rolleyes:

(Eric Persing is an arrogant loudmouth.)

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
EQing problems tend to go hand in hand with tired ears/mind and unfamiliar monitoring conditions. Take a break. Pet an animal.

Edit: also tweak the overall monitoring volume up and down, and change your listening position (including from outside the room) so issues stick out easier.

ynohtna fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Apr 11, 2014

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
You'd have to flail through a mile of ego to get within spitting distance of Eric's brain, Laserjet!

And, Rageaholic Against the Monkey Machine: yeah having a palette of sounds that's preselected to sit well with each other can help with EQ problems. Whether the Widdim Rolf will provide that - and suit your ears and taste - is yet to be seen. Another EQ tip is to use hardware mixers. It's far quicker to find the sweet spot when you've only got low, high and swept mid (plus a fixed low cut) rather than second-guessing the countless parameters, combinations and options in the software DAW world.

Definitely look into how to "stem" your tunes out of Reason. Mixing down pure audio stems is a boost as it means one has to focus solely on sculpting, positioning and gelling each part. Stops one reworking the skeleton, flesh and fashion of the track during the hair and makeup part of the process.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
The core technique of good cookingsonic compositing: taste, add, taste. Work the ingredients in context, not in isolation. If it doesn't fit, throw it out.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
I'm not sure requesting more words from Roland "'Default' means the value automatically selected by the Composer overriden by your command" Corporation has ever truly resulted in actual end-user benefit.

Edit: Jodey Kendrick rules, renderful, but is the Rephlex site redirecting to their label page on discogs for everyone or just me? And my current synth intake is being fueled, not for the first time, by 80s Stallone.

ynohtna fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Apr 14, 2014

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Hear you go, son.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Skeletron posted:

Does running off batteries vs. a power adapter alter the sound of a TR-606?

Not that I've ever noticed (above the millions of effects and EQ I apply to mine).

But, try adjusting its tempo knob when the device is externally clocked and pay attention to the hats.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Also, for live jam nerds, how important is cue on a mixing board, in your experience?

Non-essential: I'm generally too busy churning knobs and slamming faders by ear to burn time fixating upon the production minutiae of individual channels but cue can be really handy for quickly checking via the level readout where an obnoxious noise is (or isn't) coming from (particularly when things get a bit too chaotically semi-modular and feedbacky).

The same applies to all the other live jammers I know and have performed with. One quickly learns the trick of bringing things in slowly, cutting out fast on beat intervals, which controls require a gentle touch, and that repeating mistakes makes them sound intentional.

Then again, only the smallest, cheapest and shittiest of the mixers don't offer cue functionality. You can always bodge it by dedicating an aux channel if its something that works for you.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

sliderule posted:

I tested them with both an envelope and a delayed LFO mapped to frequency

~Aftertouch~

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Also my wife poked a Novation polysynth thing with delay/reverb built in and now wants a polysynth. What should I get her? She's got a piano and composition background but no idea how to synthesizer.

An1x plus maybe a MidiVerb will gateway drug any ~player~.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
MIDIed* guitar plus Oberheim Matrix 12. Just sayin'.

* Ye olde mid-90s Roland GR-whatever worked really well for this once one got quickly accustomed to the minor response delay on the lowest strings (physics: can't determine frequency until .3-.5 of the wave cycle has passed). But of course such timing issues are irrelevant when used to trigger huge analogue chord swells.

ynohtna fucked around with this message at 08:25 on May 30, 2014

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Startyde posted:

Music Easel shootout (original, BEMI, 208R)

:awesome:

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3S8Xkdn_Pc

Don't snort cocaine just before recording a product video, kids.

Your Computer posted:

Are you intending to use it for Japanese or English though? The system is build on "characters" (personas?), and only two of them seem to work in English; the original Hatsune Miku (which sounds extremely creepy) and the newer "megpoid" that... honestly sounds quite good. It has a pretty strong Japanese accent though, interestingly.

e: Right, it's just a bunch of samples of some singer morphed around to create words. She has an accent so the vocaloid does too.

Vocaloid is internally built entirely around the Japanese linguistic system of chaining phonemes so making it "sing" other languages can be very entertainingly/painfully strange!

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Oldstench posted:

Eh gently caress bass anyway. Prince didn't need it for "When Doves Cry", so neither do you.

I once had a really frustrating and circuitous argument with a dude who insisted that Strings of Life simply could not be a house/techno track as it didn't have a definite clear bassline. He eventually conceded that maybe it could, but only if one considered the lower piano notes to be a bass substitute.

Bloody turbo-nerds and their need to over-categorise via strictly defined irrational criteria, I tell ya. :crossarms:

Radiapathy posted:

For me the real stars of K9 Ultimate are the effects. Some really solid stuff there.

:D

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
You don't need it. You've managed so far without it. You won't use most of it.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
When you guys start playing live gigs, please please please, be chill, cooperative and helpful to the organisers.

Do not be an arrogant, inconsiderate idiot who expresses great initial enthusiasm then dithers around failing to confirm/respond until the last moment before getting the huff 'cos they've not been given the "top billing" spot and every unearned consideration they can imagine.

Funnily enough, seasoned, musicians who make experimental sounds always fall into the first category, whilst the second group seems to exclusively be the domain of young, unknown, genre-fadded twits convinced that they're already the next Deadmau5.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Oldstench posted:

We're just happy to have the gig, man.

Aye, and that always shines through in the wonderful end results!

Another corollary is that its the non-experimentalists who complain about needing sound checks and continual engineering, yet even if/when they do get them they're unable to sculpt a sonic turd capable of being polished. Of course, that's 100% the fault of the main mixer, PA and venue. They got a Push for christmas therefore they're a pro!

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
I also recommend Resolume, as it makes it really easy to create an effective visuals set that is audio responsive, fluid and interesting, without spending weeks programming up an overly-complex yet repetitive single effect in the "deeper" solutions like vvvv et al.

Basically, it's Ableton Live for video clips with audio-reactive Photoshop blend modes between channels. Spend an afternoon harvesting your favourite 1920s Dada clips from YouTube, put some fiddle time into Resolume setting up effects and, bang, you're done. And it works well being flown in realtime and then being left to do it's own thing unsupervised.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Radiapathy posted:

I'm considering Resolume as a way to make visuals for my YouTube uploads. Their forum has ridiculous restrictions on the search making it so you can't search for the most basic fundamental things, and the user guide that's available is really old and doesn't contain any information about rendering to file or recording, etc.

Any Resolume users here who've used it to prepare pre-rendered material? If so, how does that work? The only other tool of this kind I know of is "I Love QC" but that seems even more cryptic as far as using it for recorded video goes.

Other tools like the SoundSpectrum visualizers forbid use in videos and performances, etc.

Yeah, I've done it for pre-rendered stuff. (lovely examples: http://youtube.com/watch?v=QloYcZqHRiE & http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZQwWBbMbwVQ)

The trick is to route your MIDI controllers through a DAW and then - via IAC buss or MIDIYoke - into Resolume so you can edit/re-record/loop the automation alongside your audio. Recording Resolume's output is done via the "record" button in the middle right of its UI, but note that it doesn't record any input audio (at least since the last time I looked) so you'll have to mux that in once you're finished.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

magiccarpet posted:

Also check the factory 808 samples used with no fucks given.

If you haven't made a track using your computers General MIDI 808 & 909 drum sets then you're missing out.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Sizone posted:

Does the PMA-5 totally fake 808/909/303 combo count?

drat diggity it does.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
WTF, double post.

ynohtna fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Aug 1, 2014

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
I have coded programs in far too many languages to count. Such programs are frequently audio-related, but it's really not at all cool.

BKPR posted:

Why don't you loving nerds get into something cool, like measuring filter slopes?

Because it's not at all cool. "Oh, is the ripple that's distorting the results from the source signal, the filter, the measuring apparatus, or my derivation math"? :smithicide:

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

I think I don't know how to make music cause everything I make is just a loud repeating whirring noise and I can't understand phases of a song or how to create them or anything.

It's annoying cause it's like I need just a little guidance and some switch will flip over in my brain and I'll "get it"

I can gently caress with synthesizers, I understand how they work, but when it comes to making sequences that feed into other sequences, I'm lost. Programming drums? No idea. Do I use the same beat forever? Do I just make it up?

I get tons of cool sounds or noises loving around, but can't utilize them at all unless I want a droning 2 minute track on soundcloud. :v:

There are no rules. What's wrong with making cool sounds and noises and droning 2 minute tracks?

Keep on expressing yourself in the way that is most true to yourself. Don't feel pressured to conform to some unicorn's dream of a Platonic ideal song form.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

Anthony you're the man and my sound cloud hero so I'm very feeling this.

Aw, thanks comrade, but I'm just a chump who became a bit too intimate with self-defeating mindsets.

This month's solution to writer's block: collaborating with singers and poets who desire some drones and beats.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

but as long as you didn't pay full price on it its a really fun little box.

The Aira's are going to be amazing in a year's time when everyone who expected they could buy their way straight into acid-techno godhood sells them off for pennies.

Doubly so when those ugly-rear end green lightpipes burn out.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

you didn't read the manual

Be fair now: the TB3 owners manual is extremely long and tiresome to digest.

vvvv Stop applying scatter to my sarcasm.

ynohtna fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Aug 4, 2014

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Hey, Sizone, I've got of EZ-CZ memory cartridges here if you're desperate to archive your killer phase modulation patches off-device in case your RAM battery mod flakes out. Each stores 4 banks of patches thanks to two small DIP switches and the magic of upper bit memory buss binary addressing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Sizone posted:

Probably, if the price is right. 16 patches without resorting to midi dumping really isn't that much.

I've lost track of the WaveStation and 303 exchange rates, so how about cost of postage (from UK) and a pint for both carts? Even if I do get my own CZ-1000 back (been on permanent loan since the late 90s), I really don't need that many patches.

Swagger Dagger posted:

playing so goddamn many notes.

chip-tune-aesthetics-101.txt

Dotcom Jillionaire posted:

EDIT: I'm working through the process of installing a solid state hard drive and CF card reader into my sampler. I dunno if anyone here uses samplers much (especially vintage units) but I have a whole bunch of useful info to bestow, what products work, which to avoid.

Please please please share! I've been at the cusp of replacing the (now 100% non-functional) floppy drive in my Studio 440 for ages, but each time I research CF readers I literally recoil from pre-emptive compatibility confusion and stress.

ObSoundsReallyDoGetRecordedSometime: https://soundcloud.com/ynohtna/arboria-auralist-spaladonia-phantoms-floating-in