Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo
In on page one of the new synth thread! :bandwagon:

I don't own any physical synths (yet!), just VSTs and such, but I lust for much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo
So it turns out in a weird way my first hardware synth purchase is going to be a C64 (already bought).

Nah, I probably can't really say that and stick to it with a straight face. I mean, yes, I bought a C64, but I can't in good conscience really consider it my first hardware synth.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

Radiapathy posted:

Oh man, doing that in Live is an exercise in pain. Even if you get all the latency math right, you can still run into problems with samples not lining up right- and sample editing was never Live's strong suit anyway. I also dropped a ton on ReCycle only to find that it works MUCH better with the sample clips included with the demo version than with anything I recorded.

I use SampleRobot for this stuff, and Extreme Sample Converter is a popular alternative.

Things get more complicated when sampling VSTs (gotta deal with plugin hosts, virtual audio cables and crazy latency) but for sampling hardware synths, that's exactly what SampleRobot and ESC are for.

The full SampleRobot is pretty expensive, but you can get "single-X" versions which just export to a single format. (I got the WAV version, considering getting the Kontakt one.)

http://www.samplerobot.com/funktionalitaet.htm
http://www.extranslator.com/

I often use SoX as a final step on samples recorded from hardware/virtual synths, to trim silence at the start and end, and to normalize:
http://sox.sourceforge.net/
I use LiveSlice (and occasionally ReCycle, still) as my go-to for all my slicing and chopping needs. I recommend it.

I'll second SoX as well as a useful tool in the toolbox.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo
I know this is a VST (boo! hiss!) and I'm a dirty software person (kill the heretic!), but has anyone here looked at and/or played with Scope?

Synthtopia page on it

Actual Glitchmachines product page

The first YouTube video (from the Synthtopia page) is a pretty good general overview, without getting into patching details. He covers that in another video.

For only $49, and with the modular sample library, and the flexibility, I'm terribly tempted...

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

minidracula posted:

I know this is a VST (boo! hiss!) and I'm a dirty software person (kill the heretic!), but has anyone here looked at and/or played with Scope?

Synthtopia page on it

Actual Glitchmachines product page

The first YouTube video (from the Synthtopia page) is a pretty good general overview, without getting into patching details. He covers that in another video.

For only $49, and with the modular sample library, and the flexibility, I'm terribly tempted...
Apologies for the self-quoting, but for anyone else who was interested in this, it seems Glitchmachines just renamed it, possibly due to the naming issues some posters/commenters brought up on Synthtopia? So now it's called Quadrant, and can be found here: http://www.glitchmachines.com/products/quadrant/

I know this because I just went to their website to buy it and couldn't find it, had a :psyduck: moment where I thought they pulled it entirely, then clicked around and found this.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I was loving around with my MicroBrute yesterday and realized I don't like this thing as much as I thought I would. I've had this thing since right after Christmas and haven't felt the drive to mess with it all that much, and when I have, I haven't exactly been blown away. So I put it up on Craigslist and I was looking for new synths to buy, but everything I saw was either way too expensive or right in my price range but didn't thrill me. Any suggestions? After I sell this thing, the only hardsynth I'll have is my SH-201 that I've had for like 5 years and still love. I definitely want to get the Rhythm Wolf whenever that thing comes out, but besides that? I definitely don't want/can't afford a workstation, which I saw a lot of earlier.

e: I should probably also add that pads are my favorite and I've got a few pedals I'd be using to mess with the sound of whatever I got.
I know you already have it up on craigslist, but if you'd be interested in a goon-to-goon deal, I'm game for a MicroBrute.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Used softsynths instead. On that note, I'm selling the following based out of Seattle, though I guess I can deliver to Honolulu if Sizone wants something:

Moog Slim Phatty
TB-303
Electrix Filter Factory
Wavestation WS-1 (:cry:)
Monotribe
Euro: Harvestman Polivoks filter, A-190 midi-to-CV, Sound Modular case

I'm open to offers and I can post more pictures when I'm back in North America. Also I'm looking for a non-Behringer mixer if someone wants a partial trade. But yeah, send me a message if you're interested unless you're Dotcom Jillionaire in which case send me like 130% of the inevitable lowball.
I'm gonna claim that I have dibs on the 303 before Dotcom Jillionaire. :colbert: Maybe we can knife fight about it, Jets vs. Sharks style.

In any event, I'm in Seattle, so yeah, consider me interested. Maybe in some of the non-303 stuff too, but I have to do more research there.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

If you're in Seattle in the next couple of days if be okay with that.

And you know you'd cave and buy the FF if you were babysitting it. :v:
I am in Seattle all the days and would totally do this. But you leave tomorrow?

May also cave too, but either way, win-win.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

I leave Thursday but tomorrow I drop off my car to be shipped, so you'd need to be able to come my way. Whoever I was PMing about all this sorry I dropped off the planet, I had to drive up to Canada and my sister-in-law got married so it's been hectic.

Buy the Moog and I'll give you the FF for a hundred. :buddy:
Yeah, that was me with the PMing, but no worries. Re: tomorrow though, doubt I'd be able to meet up with you since you were outside Seattle proper. Besides, tomorrow is a busy day at the office with meetings and such.

You've probably already seen this, but someone on Muffs said they PMd you about the Filter Factory on the 14th.

Where are you dropping off your car?

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

wayfinder posted:

Heads up, Cakewalk is running a promotion, I just scored z3ta+2 for €36.75
Is this the same plugin that was on sale a while back (I want to say around the beginning of the year)?

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo
Man, I'm glad I picked up Z3ta, but holy crap it really does have basically every trance build from the 2000s to the early 2010s as a preset.

Maybe I just have the sameness of that trope on the brain, as I was skimming through some recent "Summer Sunsets Miamibizia Crunklifting Groove Sessions 2014" type compilations earlier...

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo
Probably the wrong thread to ask, but if anyone has a Novation Launchpad they're not using and would let go for a cheap yet reasonable used price, I'd be interested.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

Number Two Stunna posted:

since this thread is about synthesis in general, how about vocaloid? it's pretty cool. it doesn't do the creepy ratboy genius style voices but you can do some crazy stuff with it
I'm glad you brought this up because I've thought about asking about it, but for whatever reason haven't. Maybe because my understanding's still a bit fuzzy. Vocaloid does the whole "singing voice synthesis" thing, but do you need to buy the male and/or female singer libraries if you want to make your own vocaloid, or is that straight up not possible?

Never mind, I just went to re-read the Wikipedia page, and it seems like you need at least a singer library (male or female) in a minimum of whatever language(s) you want singing done in, along with the score editor and synthesis engine. I don't know what I found so confusing some months back; maybe the Wikipedia page became clearer, or maybe I'm just reading closer now. It does seem like you'd have to buy (looking at http://www.vocaloid.com/en/lineup/vocaloid3/) at least the "VOCALOID 3 Editor" package and one of the "VOCALOID 3 Library" packages to do anything with it. Still tempts me...

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

Your Computer posted:

Are you intending to use it for Japanese or English though? The system is build on "characters" (personas?), and only two of them seem to work in English; the original Hatsune Miku (which sounds extremely creepy) and the newer "megpoid" that... honestly sounds quite good. It has a pretty strong Japanese accent though, interestingly.

e: Right, it's just a bunch of samples of some singer morphed around to create words. She has an accent so the vocaloid does too.

Radiapathy posted:

The Vocaloid Editor for Cubase does seem to be the way to go. I bought it somewhat blind. The editor's UI is in English (yay!) but the official documentation is Japanese (boo!). I don't think they even list it for sale on their English language site. (I got mine via a gray market seller on Amazon Marketplace.)

It's true that most of the vocaloids are not intended for English, but the number of English language versions is growing. You have to look around a bit, though. I think Best Service has some that aren't (or at least weren't) on the Vocaloid Wiki.

The vocaloids that I've seen recently come with "mini" versions of Vocaloid 3 if you don't already have the Cubase Editor or the standalone product. I haven't messed with them, but those appear to come with English documentation. The mini version does appear to be Windows only (at least in the packages I've looked into), but I don't know whether that means that the actual vocaloid library itself is necessarily PC only. I really just don't know.

I haven't messed with the editor yet other than to see that it installed properly. I will employ it the next time I do a song that calls for female vocals.
After posting, I did some light searching, and found these two English ones that sounded interesting and not totally awful in their demo songs:

AVANNA
http://www.zero-g.co.uk/store/vocaloid-avanna-p502.php
http://avanna-vocaloid.com/demos/

OLIVER
http://powerfx.com/products/oliver

It's a Wikia wiki, but http://vocaloid.wikia.com/ seems to be an OK place to get some information on third-party Vocaloids that Yamaha doesn't advertise on their site, especially English ones for Vocaloid 3 and Vocaloid 2.

I think I would pick up the full Vocaloid 3 Editor from Yamaha and then one of those to start with, probably AVANNA at first, based on what I've heard so far.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

Radiapathy posted:

No, it IS more restrictive than the license for a VST, but it's pretty similar to the kind of license you get with most sample libraries... except for one really weird clause.

Mainly they just don't want you making certain kinds of commercial products with it, which is the same with sample libraries. So no reselling the phoneme samples, and they specifically call out ringtones and karaoke disc background vocals as prohibited uses.

The weird part is where they say you're basically not allowed to use the synthesized voices to record illegal or offensive content (so any of you guys planning to program your ransom demands as Hatsune Miku had better come up with a different scheme), or anything that might be "harmful to the moral rights" of the human who sang the original vocals used in the product. (!?!)
Moral rights are a concept in copyright law, originally in Europe (France and Germany), then in all of the Berne Convention countries, except the U.S. I first heard about moral rights in relation to an artist's works when I moved to Ireland. The U.S., despite being a Berne Convetion country since 1989, doesn't recognize moral rights except in a narrow capacity relating to visual art. The basic intent of moral rights (as opposed to economic rights) is (from the Berne Convention):

quote:

Independent of the author's economic rights, and even after the transfer of the said rights, the author shall have the right to claim authorship of the work and to object to any distortion, modification of, or other derogatory action in relation to the said work, which would be prejudicial to the author's honor or reputation.
Copyright in the U.S. is substantially different than the framework in France that moral rights came from; the U.S. focuses on exclusive rights (usually tied to economic rights, including ownership).

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

I saw his Pop HD show hin Helsinki a while back. Was definitely some tight poo poo.

Speaking of which, does anyone know what kind of software do people like AtomTM and, say, Kraftwerk for their visuals? Like there's obviously some live manipulation as well as correlation between the visuals and the music going on. How do you do something like that?
No idea what they're using, but I could tell you what I do/have done. I use a couple different methods and am constantly exploring new ways to do stuff that links live sets or live performance with live visuals (clips, pre-renders, and/or generative content).

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo
You guys!

Thanks to goons Pale Sickly Trevor and the thread's own WAFFLEHOUND, I now own my first hardware synths you guys! A Volca Beats and a Moog Slim Phatty. Two in one week! :yayclod:

Between this and retrogaming (and photography and oh God I've forgotten what other expensive hobbies I have)... :homebrew: :retrogames: :smith:

Obligatory content(?): So is the "Little Phatty Editor Librarian" basically the same app as the VST Little Phatty Editor for Windows, but the former is in standalone form and the latter is a VST? Somehow Moog have managed to make this unclear. Like, only one includes "librarian" in the title, so does the standalone Little Phatty Editor Librarian have the same functionality as the VST but also does more than the VST does?

Not only that, but the description on the VST app's page also mentions: "NOTE: A Stand-Alone version of the editor is included along with the plug-in versions." Does this mean it includes a standalone version of the VST, or includes the standalone version of the, uh, standalone Little Phatty Editor Librarian app?

Both of these things are $69.00 USD from Moog and if I don't need to buy both, I'd rather not. I've also read a bunch of posts on the Moog Music Forum (and vaguely recall some other chatter here) that either the standalone app is terrible, the VST is terrible, or both. And maybe one or more of them is made by Sound Tower, and other people have said the Sound Tower apps for the Little Phatty/Slim Phatty line are terrible?! I'M SO CONFUSED.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

Radiapathy posted:

ExiledTinkerer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9AaOkU1WZs Those crazy Plogue dudes are apparently about to launch The Emperor of All Speech Synth Chips---in synth form.
Fuuuuuuuuukin rad.

Plogue doesn't get nearly enough attention. They've done some amazing stuff.
Agreed! But in my case I think I own everything they've put out under their own banner (i.e., none of their stuff done for Garritan). Bidule, chipsounds, chipcrusher, sforzando. Coincidentally, I visited their site earlier this week to check for Bidule updates (and there were some), but their site nor their dev blog had any mention of this new hotness. I guess they posted this link to the video on Twitter, or Facebook, or Google+, or something?

If this thing comes out soon I'll be really psyched. It's well-timed to play along with my Vocaloid experiments.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

a_big_dog posted:

Where the hell do I talk about my SuperCollider obsession on this godforsaken forum?
Here would be fine with me. We could hang, bro out.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

a_big_dog posted:

Let's hang!

So I'm obsessed. Been doing a bunch of YouTube tutorials, and got myself the SuperCollider book, and I'm tearing into it. It's a lot simpler than I thought - I'm a web developer by trade, so I guess that helps a lot with the ease of learning syntax.

If you've any essential tutorials or articles for a beginner, let me know!
Legitimizing talking about SuperCollider in here is step one in my nefarious plan to discuss other similar things I dived deep into, like Csound and Common Music/Common Lisp Music/Common Music Notation, as well as newer things I don't know as much about but pull at the same strings, like Faust.

Speaking of new weird "non-traditional" computer music things, a couple of posts on Muff's turned me on to CDP -- Composers' Desktop Project -- and I've been geeking out on that this week pretty hardcore. If you're down with things like SuperCollider, Csound, Faust, or similar, you'll probably like/"get" CDP. It's not a language like those, but it is a set of weird command line tools (with optional free and paid GUIs).

Effortpost forthcoming.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

ashgromnies posted:

How many programmers are in here? I recently moved to security research but was a developer for 9 years. Perl, PHP, and Python primarily.

Radiapathy posted:

C/C++ here. System internals and networking. Mostly Windows, but ramping on Android. It's a living.
Hi. I spent a career in infosec until last summer. Now, at the day job, I work in HPC, with FPGAs, hardware, HDLs, your typical ANSI standard languages, weirder ones, and the like.

I pray for your soul in security research. Wait, no I don't. More blood for the blood god.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

e. I will take up arms to defend the honour of the TB-3. :buddy:
I was really trying to come up with some sort of "white knighting" comment involving the letters T, B, and the number 3, but couldn't make anything work.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

Sizone posted:

Ah, I think I see some of the confusion here. Pretty much anything other than the microbrute would be polytimbrle, or at least able to accept program changes via midi. Really, what you need to do is buy another synth. Sampling the microbrute and then using it as a backing tape is probably going to end in tears.
Synths and Synthesis: Really, what you need to do is buy another synth.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

Krustic posted:

Anybody want to buy a Microbrute? Looking to sell mine for about 180 shipped. Has everthing it came with minus registration card (never registered though). US only.
If Dotcom Jillionaire passes, I'm interested.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

Sizone posted:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/z3ta+/id810393174?mt=8

What is the whating about? I don't get tablets in general and I really don't get apple's hardware variations. Is that not enough Chinese death camp factory power to run it?
I think WAFFLEHOUND didn't know about Z3TA+ on the iPad is all.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

Krustic posted:

He changed his mind. I'll PM you some info and pics in a minute.
Got your PM, PM'd you back.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

Startyde posted:

The mini is at Target for $200 this week if you're in the states. It's literally a bite-sized ipad2 but is still on the roadmap for 8. I know it runs a hell of a lot smoother than my buddy's 3. On paper it's more powerful but it spends too many cycles drawing that screen.
Wait, is this the same sale they were doing a little while back (in stores)? I missed out on that then, and was a little bummed by it.

In other news, from an email I got an hour ago...:

quote:

"Greetings Special Stage Denizens,

Big news this week! Ming Mecca will finally be available to purchase in late September / Early October."
http://www.specialstagesystems.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/PatchWithPossibility.png

http://www.specialstagesystems.com/modules/

minidracula fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Aug 19, 2014

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo
WAFFLEHOUND, PM me about your euro case and module(s) for sale. That's still available, right?

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo
I'm in favor of Moog's Rogues so far.

RIVAL GANGS!

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

a_big_dog posted:

Synth Squad!

Off-topic loser again: I've been writing lovely SuperCollider 'tutorials' as I learn. Check them out if you want to learn the wrong stuff badly, really badly: http://supercollider.calumgunn.com
Sorry, I still owe you some SC chat and what not. I've been obsessed with tinkering with VOCALOID, CDP, and VSTSpeek (a VST-wrapped [and AU!] assembly-to-C recreation of the C64 Software Automatic Mouth, from the Wavosaur guys) lately, with crazy MIDI experiments. You are not forgotten, though.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

Firaga posted:

So couple of pages back I posted saying something about my friend and I jamming on our TR8 and Microbrute.
Fast forward to today, my friend purchased a Zoom G3 and the Volca series and we are already scouting out a JX-3P on ebay. I'm kind of scared I am going to find him homeless clutching his synthesizers. I should note that we've been doing this for about a month or so.
Anyway I'm blaming you guys because I mostly put these ideas in his head and I didn't make them up out of thin air!!!!!
It's you, you are the synth pusher.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo
Hey guys!, thanks to Krustic, I just took delivery of an Arturia Microbrute, my third synth in two months oh god what is happening to meeeee???... :psyduck: :smith:

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo
I was just looking at Arturia's site for some info and came across this choice paragraph on one of their pages for the MicroBrute. I feel like this is the synth equivalent of what we call "grog" in the RPG threads in TG (loose working definition here, for the uninitiated):

quote:

"A synthesizer is a musical instrument that is meant to be played. However, playing a synthesizer is more than just playing some notes on a keyboard and recalling someone else’s presets. If that was the goal you could be looking at accordions or going to a department store to buy your keyboard (along with socks, milk and toilet paper)…but you aren’t because you are more creative than that."

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

I put this in the second post of the OP. I also appreciate that you basically summed up gearslutz into one post.

So, on another semi-related note, I'm down a lot of my synths and have only a couple of cheap ones here in Honolulu, the two vintage fuckers in the mainland are basically just sitting there for now but my 303 has kind of got a planned expiration date of when I'm planning to buy plane tickets to south Asia again. I'm finding I'm enjoying making music more without the A4 or something like it; I think I was feeling too obligated to make it play nice with my Ableton setup and that was just driving me nuts.

I'm also making an effort to learn more music theory and stop obsessing over tiny details of tracks that are basically meaningless because I don't have the patience to actually compose anything so who gives a poo poo if I can make a few bars sound perfect? So yeah, I'm actually doing things now so that's a super positive change for me.

Yay synth thread!
I know I pinged you about your remaining Eurorack case and module and haven't gotten back to you (sadly: case too small, possibly too fancy (real hardwood!) for what I'm planning), but you should totally sell me that 303 when you're ready.

Also: what I'm planning is to buy a Ming Mecca. We'll see if I actually do it. Seems possibly one of the dumbest/coolest ways to jump into the deep end of Eurorack. And yeah, I do plan to still build it out piece by piece, not all at once.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

Rotten Cookies posted:

Yes, yes, I went back as well. Doesn't change the fact that Columbus day is an odd day to choose, and people calling it Synthtember can cause someone to think that the thing ends when September ends.

E: The "nah" post was supposed to be in a joking tone. And this post isn't meant to sound aggressive. It's just an easy mistake to make. Cool?
It is due at the end of September. Columbus Day is a grace period. Think of it like rent.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo
Guys, I bought another synth. :ohdear:

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

Number Two Stunna posted:

I don't have an iPhone. The Volca sampler is going to be a useless hunk of plastic in 10 years when noone else has an iPhone either.
Guys, my new synth doesn't work out of the box with my iPhone 5S, what do I do?!

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo
Anyone who has a Minimoog Voyager: interested in selling? :dance:

Separately: interested in a Volca Keys. I think a couple of thread peeps were selling theirs lately.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

W424 posted:

"witch house" was my "goddamn kids" moment.
A thousand percent this.

I could go on, but I shan't.

EDIT: I also meant to say something about avoiding GAS lust, but the thread has moved on somewhat, and I don't think I'd say anything terribly useful that hasn't already been said. For me, so far at least, the problem hasn't been hardware (which I'm still just getting into re: synths), but software. I think I've got a pretty good handle on it now though, despite occasional flare ups.

minidracula fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Dec 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo
So I forget, did we ever establish -- or was there already -- a synth thread+vst thread IRC channel?

I ask because despite my recent post about avoiding GAS lust in software, I went very mildly bonkers recently and picked up DCAM Synth Squad, along with a couple of other toys, and a discounted Usine renewal/upgrade. I guess I wanna chat about it.

I'm still holding myself back from buying some other stuff until a few months into the new year, since the new studio is still being built out, and I need to move gear across country anyway...