Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
I'm thinking about picking up a Volca trio. This is probably a dumb question, but if I'm going to sync all three to Ableton, do I need three MIDI cables (one for each unit), or just one MIDI cable to one unit and then two sync cables to the others?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

If all you're looking for is syncing the other two Volcas to Ableton's MIDI clock, yes, the sync cables will do just fine. The first volca will send the MIDI clock it gets from Ableton to the other ones. However, that's the ONLY thing the sync cables will do, so if you want to sequence the other two Volcas via Ableton, you'll need a MIDI cable for each.

That really should be enough, thanks! I'm still living overseas, so I want to build a very lightweight jam setup. I'm leaning towards buying the Volcas and routing them into Ableton via my interface (Komplete Audio 6) for effects and recording.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

A Winner is Jew posted:

Yes.

There are some decent 32-49 key ones around the $200 range (Launchpad-49, Roland A-200, Nektar Impact) and I would probably get one of those and either the Volca Bass or Keys for the money... or if you can spend another $200 or so the Waldorf Rocket or Streichfett.

Could also track down an Ultranova for ~300 used, which also gives you an audio interface.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

A Winner is Jew posted:

Christmas is coming up and most of these will go on sale since the only time I buy VST instruments / effects is when they're 50-80% off. (Except for Bazille since I got the 30% off for being a beta tester)

There's also a ton of deals on/around Black Friday. I use this site to track them:

http://rekkerd.org/deals-deals-deals/

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
If you don't mind going used, you can easily find the Electribe ER-1 for $150

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
I want to buy a mixer for some OTB jams with a couple of synths, a drum machine, and some effect pedals. Would I be best off with a gritty old-school mixer (Boss, Tascam, etc.) or should I go for a newer Yamaha, Mackie or A&H model?

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Speaking of favorable exchange rates, I'm going to Japan tomorrow and the Yen is at 120 to the dollar. Is there anything cool I should pick up, or any good synth shops to check out? I'm leaning towards buying an SQ-1 and some sort of Volca (probably Bass).

edit: no i'm not buying a goddamn miku stomp

curried lamb of God fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Mar 14, 2015

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Also, if you're going to buy a Waldorf synth, consider buying one from Thomann. With the weak Euro, you can get a Pulse 2 shipped to the US for less than $500.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

sofullofhate posted:

Quoting for truth.

Note that anything you buy from Thomann will probably have a 230V power supply though. In some cases it's just swapping a cable or sourcing a new wall wart, but in other cases (ex. a Doepfer modular....) you might need a soldering iron to solve it. Do a bit of research first, then :getin:

I haven't bought one yet because I'm still living overseas for work, and the Euro is expected to keep falling, so it should be even cheaper in 6 months

Side note: according to the NI forums, the next (free) Maschine update will include Monark

MASCHINE 2.3 also includes KOMPLETE SELECT – a premium selection of instruments and effects (free for all registered MASCHINE 2 software users):

MASSIVE - definitive synth for basses and leads
MONARK – iconic monophonic syntheisizer
THE GENTLEMAN– vintage upright piano
DRUMLAB – acoustic and electronic drums
REAKTOR PRISM – vibrant modal synth and effects
SCARBEE MARK I – classic electric piano
RETRO MACHINES – vintage analog synth and keyboards
VINTAGE ORGANS – five drawbar legends reborn
WEST AFRICA – polyrhythmic percussion and melodies
SOLID BUS COMP – versatile compressor effect

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
You should also be able to get a Nord Lead/Rack 2 or 2X for less than $1,000 on eBay. 16 voices (right?) and 4-part multitimbral, knobby interface.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Is the electribe 2 a solid polyphonic sequencer? I kind of want to get the sampler as a "studio brain" since I don't have a sampler and it looks more intuitive/jam-friendly than an MPC

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Logic X 10.2 is out today and it includes an apparently reskinned Alchemy

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Minilogue photo leaked on reddit

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
http://www.davesmithinstruments.com/product/ob-6/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTbJpVlRI_o

:aaa:

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

Giant Enemy Cliche posted:

I've spent years joking about the Modular Synth Jam k-hole, but just recently I've been really tempted by the Mother 32. I kind of have this fantasy of just using it as a kind of expandable fixed architecture synth. Would it be a total waste of my time/money buying one and eventually just getting a small case and a few modules, or would I be better off just getting something like an MS 20?

Someone just posted a pretty good review of it on /r/synthesizers, it may help:

https://www.reddit.com/r/synthesizers/comments/46rfh6/why_im_selling_my_mother_32/

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
The new Humble Book Bundle is a bunch of Make: Electronics books, including the Make: Analog Synthesizers book if you beat the average:

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/make-electronics-book-bundle

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Do any of y'all have a Digitakt yet? I'm thinking of getting one to use as a sequencer and drum machine, since the Youtube videos I've seen look promising. I just want to do improvised stuff with loops, not make songs with it. Other gear is a Minibrute and Alpha Juno 2

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

Startyde posted:

Yea, I'm a dummy. Anything particular you're interested in?
It's very immediate. Coming from the other boxes I actually don't know if I agree with the obfuscation they've done to make it easier. You can't do kit tricks like on silver boxes, it's all tied to pattern. No SD card and limited internal storage is a drag. Mono is loving ridiculous. I'm not sorry I grabbed one though. I look at it as a very modern s01 or ms-1 with an elektron sequencer strapped on. It's fun to :420: and sit on the floor and feed it with the modular.

How do you like it as a sequencer for external instruments? I've never owned one before, so I'm looking for something intuitive to sequence both of my synths.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
I just called Guitar Center and was able to use their anniversary coupon (http://www.guitarcenter.com/Anniversary-Coupon.gc?icid=408434) on a Digitakt and SE-02 :coolspot:

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

Quincy Smallvoice posted:

Who's got a digitakt? I finally found one and ordered mine, it should arrive next week.

I ordered mine from Guitar Center during their sale three weeks ago but it's still back-ordered :smith: I got it for $100 off, though, so I don't mind waiting

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Any thoughts on the Arturia Keystep? I need a portable controller for my SE-02, and unfortunately my Korg Microkey only has USB-out.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
gently caress you UPS, my Digitakt was out for delivery and Harvey isn't an excuse anymore :mad:

edit: it arrived 30 minutes later :shobon:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

curried lamb of God fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Sep 8, 2017

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

Southern Heel posted:

Thank you all for the advice - It's a been a bit of a whip-crack journey from 'what is a piano' to 'pls play keys in our band' so I'm still finding my feet. I think at this point I'm looking for a low-mid 61-key synth with some classic sounds. I don't want to buy disposable garbage but I do have to be careful about throwing money into a hole to burn - which is why I'm thinking about a used 80's full-size synth like a Juno, DX, etc.

If you don't mind me asking, what was your process for learning how to play keys?

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
You're not going to get fully weighted keys on a 49 key controller, but the NI Komplete 49 or Roland A-500Pro should have the best keybeds

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
I have, uh, a Digitakt that's currently sitting at home while I'm on an overseas work assignment :(

as bad as the posters are, there are a ton of sampler nerds on gearslutz

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
some guy was selling a Kurzweil Midiboard on Houston craigslist years ago for like $100, I wonder if anybody ever bought it

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Nick Batt posted his SH-01A review today:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0Ns96rEybU

My red one arrives today :xd:

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Budget option: get an Alpha Juno 2 for $200-300 and spend the rest on effects. I'm not a keyboard player by any means but the Juno's keybed is pretty good

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Korg leaks:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-and-electronic-music-production/1197859-korg-prologue.html

Two models - 49 keys/8 voices, 61 keys/16 voices

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-and-electronic-music-production/1197868-korg-volca-mix.html

Volca mixer, 4 channels

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Heartily endorse the Minifooger (I own the delay and drive) and TC Electronics (Flashback X4, T2 Reverb) for synths. I'm saving for an Eventide H9 Max as my grail pedal, though.

edit: What sort of synth stuff is generally cheaper in Europe? Also, any recommendations for synth shops in Paris? So far I've found Modular Square, which looks like it has a good/esoteric selection: http://www.modularsquare.com

curried lamb of God fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jan 18, 2018

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

HotCanadianChick posted:

Volca Poly-800 lmao

Volca DSS-1 with Volca Floppy

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

A MIRACLE posted:

Moog sirin or bass station 2? Or something else? I don’t have any hardware synths anymore. Just a QY 100 and an SU 10

SE-02 :getin:

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
I'm far from a good synthesist and very happy with my existing setup, but every Pro 3 video I've seen is mind-blowing. I'd love to buy something from Sequential at some point, if skill and finances permit, just because they make so much cool poo poo.

The Sonicstate video is cool too, but I'd love to see the god Katsunori Ujiie get his hands on one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9UxnbGszaY

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

toadee posted:

So, I'm running into kind of a roadblock in terms of my current setup, and I was wondering what other people are using for Audio Interface/Patch Bay/Mixing solutions?

I'm far from an expert, but have you considered getting an ADA8200 and connecting it to the ADAT in on your interface? That'll give you an extra 8 analog ins. If you want room for more expansion, you can get an interface with two banks of ADAT in (MOTU 828es, for example), connect your existing interface via its ADAT out for a total of 16 ins, and still have one ADAT in left for 8 more ins down the line.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
what about gearsluhahahaha

I'll join the ML discord but I'm too old to learn new poo poo

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
The Novation Mininova and Ultranova are other options for synths with vocoders, and their used prices probably aren't far off from a new Microfreak

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
I still have my MF Delay and it's worth triple what I paid for it, but I don't feel like selling yet. Maybe if it hits $500

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
I'm pretty sure all MOTU interfaces are DC coupled, even the cheaper ones like the Ultralite series.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Something worthwhile finally posted on Gearspace: Paul Hartnoll listing the gear used on Lush 3-1

https://gearspace.com/board/showpost.php?p=15499068&postcount=3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Hey guys, I just listed a bunch of delays/reverbs (H9 Max, Polymoon, Mercury7, Avalanche Run) and a Push 2 in the Gear Trades thread! https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2851542&pagenumber=107#post523167098