Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.

Craptacular! posted:

Given the lack of FA activity and the trend among teams to lock up franchise players for many years, I'm kind of curious why some teams continue to do the ~5 year "earn your way up" routine with certain players who have incredible talent. I get that you can take advantage of how underpaid rookies are relative to veterans to get a great player on the cheap, and then have to cough up huge amounts of money to buy FA years out in an extension later. It seems like it would be beneficial to give these 'kids' a payday now in exchange for more years down the road.

Will/Can we see 10+ year contracts for people who haven't even played a game in the majors yet? Basically, I don't even know if it's against the rules or not. Because if a young A-Rod fell out of a time warp from 1993 and I got to draft him, I'd feel much more comfortable hamstringing my budget right now to keep him with my team for his effective career, rather than nickel and dime him for a shorter span of time.

Because incredible raw talent as an 18-year old prospect doesn't mean you can hit a major league breaking ball, or command your fastball well enough to not walk half the batters you face. The skills required to succeed at the major league level are very rare and specific and promising prospects bust all of the time because they aren't able to develop them, for whatever reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread