Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
uberkeyzer
Jul 10, 2006

u did it again
Fabulous job of summarizing a very tangled history -- this is a great resource.

Not that it needs my help, but I want to throw some support behind anyone interested in Arthur, or just reading books in general, picking up The Once and Future King. I agree that the later books are a bit more "serious" if people are looking for something on the fluffier side, but I can't imagine anyone bouncing off of "The Sword and the Stone" -- it's wonderfully written and frequently hilarious.

Also, it may not have the same degree of factual historicity that later books have. But I think White, because of the way the book was written (in 4 chunks, one published in 1938, one in 1939, one in 1940, and the last in 1958) actually taps into the emotional heart of the story and most accurately depicts what it must have felt like to watch Arthur's kingdom fail. He watched the same thing happen to the world that he grew up in, and you really feel that as you slowly go from the optimism of the first book to the melancholy of the end -- but you never lose that hopeful spark.

Also, the whole geese/ant sequence. My god.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread