Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

EzEight posted:

Take your time, 90% of this game is just making up your own story.
There is little to motivate the player.

There's plenty to motivate the player, it's just not traditional story. I played this game for about 60 hours just to try to find everything; it's pretty much an exploration game with a tank RPG duct-taped to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Update Six: Dogs

We've got a short update today, since we have a major decision that came earlier than I remembered!

With Bug Spray, mosquitos are no problem!

We grab this, and then it's time for a night in the Deluxe Suite.

When examined...the Royal Soap is a luxurious scented soap with a silky feel and a princely smell. The Royal Robe is a luxurious robe of fine fabric that feels good on the skin. The Royal Slippers are luxurious slippers, soft and comfortable, that feel nice on the feet. None have any use.

The thread also reminded me of a feature I'd forgotten aobut: the ability to set up the Satcom config menu to use the unused buttons to automatically do various things. One of them is 'use detector', making metal detector spam that much less annoying. Very handy! We take our tanks over to the local part shop.

With the Bull, we now have the ability to use the Mosquito rather than just drag it around. The massive Load increase makes for a huge upgrade over our last engine. I also take the chance to swap out some of our guns. The Demag gets an upgrade to its subgun and main gun.

The Mosquito has a similar layout, but is using the Storm Cannon sub gun, an all-targeting electrical attack. Sam has become our mule. We head over to the Hunter's Office to see what's new there.

We get a name for the local shark problem - the Hammer Hydra. Time to get an equipment upgrade!

The weapons are nothing new - we're fine as we are. But the army is important. We're going to need the new armor for our next trip, so I upgrade both Max and Misha to Goggles, Kevy Shirts, Brass Knuckles and War-Torn Boots. I also pick up a Dog Cannon for later. Then it's time for a short trip home.

With the Bull engines, we now have parts worth modding.

The Mosquito gets its gun and engine upgraded fully on Load and Attack. The Durability can sit where it is for now.

However, I decide to upgrade the durability on the Demag's engine and not fully upgrade the attack on its gun. It has a higher-damage gun to begin with, see, and a lighter frame. This was actually mostly a mistake on my part that I didn't feel like fixing - the damage would be more valuable right now, but I need my cash so that I can finish my new tank shopping trip.

Specifically, by loading up on massive amounts of armor plating. Then it's back to East Zero and southwards.

To reach our next destination, that red spot on the minimap, we have to enter the forest. A dangerous place!

Fortunately, we can handle dog assaults with our new armor, even if we can't ignore them.

This abandoned facility is a very important place! As we enter, we run into Connie and Clive again.

: But, what in the world could they have been researching?
: Wasn't it called the Bio-Genetic Engineering Lab or something like that?
: OK, and why would be interested in a genetics laboratory? Honestly, Clive, how did I let you talk me into this?
: Ahhh, c'mon! I don't think it'll be completely useless... What if the machinery inside still works?
: Well, that's not very likely, but... We might as well check.

And they head into the ruins. There's nothing much in the first few rooms, but...

We can grab this in the corner.

All right. We'll head upstairs, then.

As we make our way up, though, we get ambushed.

We'll get a full list of the monsters I find in the ruins next time, but for now, these guys hit pretty hard.

Fortunately, so do we.

Further up, we find a room. In this room...

(Click here for video.)

...is a bunch of dogs in microwaves.

PA System: Accessing Plant No 1.

The microwaves hum and vibrate as they release each dog.

With each dog, we are given a choice: take it with us and name it, or not. The first dog, default name Shiba and default title Loyal Friend, is a Shiba Inu. Shiba begins the game with the Foxhunt skill, which can draw out-of-range enemies closer, and has the unique ability to learn the Shooting Star skill, a powerful jump attack. It should be noted: I don't get to control whichever dog we pick. It will use skills and abilities based on its own AI, which we can improve but not really control.

As you might notice, the dogs wander around the room once released. The second dog, default name Tosa and default title Yokozuna, is a Tosa - a Japanese fighting breed. He begins the game with the Headbutt skill, which charges an enemy and does damage. Tosa has two unique skills he can learn: Headbutt EX, which does damage to all enemies, and Sumo Stomp, which stuns an enemy.

The third dog, default name Terry and default title Mystery Mutt is probably a Boston Terrier. He begins the game with the Eye Beam skill, which does laser damage to one enemy, and can uniquely learn Fire Breath, which does fire damage to one enemy, and Transparency, which causes him to enter stealth and become immune to most damage until that stealth is broken.

The final dog, default name Bernie and default title Rescue Dog, is a Saint Bernard. He begins the game with two skills: Medicine Keg, which restores 250 HP to one character, and Revival Keg, which restores 200 HP to all characters. They don't even cost a lot. Very handy, when he decides to use them. Bernie can uniquely learn Medicine Keg 2, which heals 500 for one character, Barrier, which increases his defense, and Epidermythril, which automatically increases defense on entering battle.

Please vote on a dog name and which dog you want to bring! We will only be using the other three to see Emily's reactions to them.

Next time: Exploration and Hunting!

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Apr 22, 2014

Matthews
Feb 24, 2012
I vote for Bernie.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Of course we need the dog with the barrel of booze on his neck

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Boozedog is obviously the best dog

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them
Boozedog, and keep the name Bernie.

Blackunknown
Oct 18, 2013

I vote for Terry the Laser Ninja Dog.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Booooooozedog!

XainZero
Feb 16, 2011

I vote for Terry the mystery hound and if possible to rename him to Iggy.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Terry, because who can say no to eye lasers?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Wait. How does the eye laser dog power his eye lasers? This is important.

Also we have other forms of laser and fire, and I can't imagine we won't get more - and stealth just for the dog seems only situationally useful.

If I don't reply again before the next update, pencil me in for Boozedog.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Wait. How does the eye laser dog power his eye lasers? This is important.

Money. (Not a ton of it, but money.)

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I'm surprised, I was sure the Shiba would win hands down. I vote for the Boston Terrier and say we call him Poncho, after one really assholish dog who is also black & white.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Bernie is the best goddamned dog for a variety of reasons, not least of which being that he's a healer, which can be helpful in the on-foot sections. Also, because St. Bernards are the best dogs. :colbert:

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

The Doge meme is way played out. Let's take the Saint Bernard. Let's name him St. Bernie, though.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I can't choose just one, they're all too cute, except the fugly eye laser one but he gets a pass because c'mon, eye lasers.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Dog 2's collar is neat, but Bernie seems most useful.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

XainZero posted:

I vote for Terry the mystery hound and if possible to rename him to Iggy.

Yeah, Terry and he should eb renamed Iggy

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
Can't we just get rid of the mechanic and take all of the dogs for party members? No?

I was going to vote for the Tosa because big dogs are adorable, but everyone's voting for the Saint Bernard. So let's go with Bernie.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

What is wrong with you people? Eye lasers. ON A TERRIER. I am ashamed of all of you.

Laser Terrier named Bombay

zerosix
Jun 22, 2012
I throw my hat in for Boozedog

Because hes large :downs:

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Arcade Rabbit posted:

What is wrong with you people? Eye lasers. ON A TERRIER. I am ashamed of all of you.

Laser Terrier named Bombay

Seconding This because really. What kind of dog says "Bow wow"?

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Boston terrier because those eyes... :stare:

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
Bernie. He can be named whatever.

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

I have to go with the Shiba. Even if the healing skills don't cost that much, expecting the AI to neither ignore people in need of healing/reviving nor waste money by spamming the healing skills at every opportunity seems like a fool's bet. No, the purpose of the dog is to strap on weaponry that would make Salvador Dali blush and blast the hell of our enemies, and for that we want one of the other three. As I happen to like Shooting Star Gin, that means the Shiba.

YOTC
Nov 18, 2005
Damn stupid newbie
Boozedog is best dog.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Oh, good lord. Can the dogs drive tanks? CAN THE DOGS DRIVE TANKS?

I mean, there's no rule that says a dog CAN'T drive a tank...

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Glazius posted:

The secret ending to Silent Hill has taught me that dogs are capable of anything.

Also, pick the Terrier and name him Iggy. ZA FOOL!

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Glazius posted:

Unfortunately, the dogs refuse to drive tanks.

This because they are roughly on par with tanks themselves.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Holy crap how have I never heard of this game before. It's amazing.

Laser Terrier.

EzEight
Jan 21, 2014
Free health care Bernie

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

Tupperwarez posted:

The secret ending to Silent Hill has taught me that dogs are capable of anything.

Also, pick the Terrier and name him Iggy. ZA FOOL!

Please pick the Terrier. We can buy all the booze we want, but there's only one optic-camo beam weapon mutt and he belongs in the party.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
I personally prefer the Shiba, but in this case, I'm afraid I'm gonna have to :bandwagon: and go with Boozedog.

Panboy
May 20, 2010

Le'me tell ya'll about them Apples.
We need the Shiba so we can run more threaded jokes into the ground. So Dog Must Haz Many Tank

Also its the cutest.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Definitely Boozedog, it's the cutest! :3:

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Does Tosa headbutt tanks?

But yeah, might as well hop on the St Bernard :bandwagon: and name him Sanders. Healing for everyone!

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."
Laser terrier! Or shiba, but I think shiba is a bit too far behind in the votes.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
Throwing my vote in for Terry the Laserdog, because I'm from New England and Boston Terriers own. Also because Persona 3 taught me that AI controlled Healers are not to be trusted...

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

Strange Matter posted:

Throwing my vote in for Terry the Laserdog, because I'm from New England and Boston Terriers own. Also because Persona 3 taught me that AI controlled Healers are not to be trusted...

This is why I don't really wanna vote for the St. Bernard, I'll throw my vote behind Terry with the name Iggy too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Bernie is the best dog.

• Locked thread