Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Raptor Adaptor posted:

I like reading tose headlines between matches sometimes, like Coach Emerson leaving his own wrestling school to pursue a career in maple leaf, MDickie becoming friends with Liam Neeson (you wish mat) and
It should be remembered that Liam Neeson is some old fat guy with white hair and dissociative identity disorder, not the actor Liam Neeson. I do agree though, the random poo poo going on behind the scenes is great, really helps flesh out the dumb dumb MDickie universe.

Raptor Adaptor posted:

Tony Land turning heel and being "portrayed in a negative light" didnt have to turn him heel for us to feel that way.
Tony Land is a good guy at heart.

E: Because I enjoy drawing fat guys in women's underwear.

A Buttery Pastry fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Mar 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

simosimo posted:

crossposting from the punchsport games thread:

MDickie's new 3D project is looking interesting, let's hope he releases a PC version [and moddable].

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=686335698097943

Sorry for facebook video link, no youtube
No random falling down in that video, 2 rings, cool rolling, AND directional lighting? Looks slick as hell for MDickie. The world of wrestling games really would be so much better if the big guys stole MDickie's ideas.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Lizard Wizard posted:

I agree. If you ever get another chance, you should bust out your special trick expecially for him.
I'll echo a sentiment from earlier in the thread, and suggest he not do this, especially not this early. If changes were to be made to make the game more brutal, I would revive the idea of making weapons more deadly, which at least has the possibility of backfiring.

Suspect Bucket posted:

Oh man, Crazy Jew. An investment banker gone wrong. I love it.
Assuming these names are generated by mashing together names randomly selected from a long list, some lucky person has had the pleasure of having Ghetto Jew enter the world of wrestling.

simosimo posted:

Very excited to be following the new wrestling project on Dickie's FB feed. Hard to believe i'm playing a wrestling game from 2008 and still find 'surprises'. Let's hope this new project is a legacy title and not one to be passed over like the mobile game [wrestling revolution].

Customisable rings!
While the first ring might initially seem like a good idea, I foresee a lot of "Rope Break". The game is looking like a proper sequel though, with plenty of improvements to keep the game fresh. MDickie is doing it again.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

tlarn posted:

I just like that as much as MDickie tries to expand his games, they maintain that same janky-looking unfinished air that makes his games what they are. :allears:
"The first 90 percent of the code accounts for 90 percent of the development time. The remaining 10 percent of the code accounts for the other 90 percent of the development time."

MDickie saves a lot of time by never bothering with the remaining 10 percent. (And "borrowing" the textures other people make.)

SelenicMartian posted:

Yeah! Just imagine, how customizable rings will help improve the depiction of the life of Christ or prison days.
I have a hard time imagining that any of his games wouldn't be improved by customizable rings.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

M.Ciaster posted:

Looks like Neeson's stalking Larry or something? First he runs in during a match, then he transfers to the same fed Larry ends up in... I sense a pattern.
Neeson was convinced Larry was his friend, but had betrayed him by befriending Liam Neeson. Either MDickie has programmed him to be weird as gently caress, or this is amazing emergent storytelling.

M.Ciaster posted:

Also also holy poo poo Scotbird :lol:
Yeah, what the gently caress kind of name is that.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

You mentioned "maintaining our sanity and health" in the beginning of the video, and it made me realize how lucky you are that MDickie never implemented the insanity mechanic in this game.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Wonder if you're going to get hosed around with now that Escobar has left. New booker seems cool enough for now, but being an MDickie game, you never know. Speaking of bookers leaving their job, MDickie stepping down is the best shot you've ever had at killing him, right? Or him dying at all, really.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

KittyEmpress posted:

I decided to try this game to relieve stress. My first match into being picked up by a promotion (the japanese one) put me up against a guy with 95 popularity and multiple 90s in other stats. In a minefield. I threw one dynamite and he fell onto another, in a chain reaction that left him dead.

:v:
I can only assume the game decided you should be a face after that.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

goatface posted:

When Beaumont left, the newspaper said Larry was happy about it. Maybe he was feuding with us in secret.
Well, he's black and Larry is white. The hatred was inevitable.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

maswastaken posted:

Micz 2 Willy.
I though Micz 2 Willies made more sense, for the big tag teams.

(I was also about to post a variation of that when you sneaked your post in.)

A Buttery Pastry fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Apr 13, 2014

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

David D. Davidson posted:

That clearly shows MDickie's flawless abilities as an innovator, who else would program a game where you can lose due to pure chance?
I think it's nice that MDickie doesn't pretend like effort and skill necessarily leads to success, unlike many so-called game designers. MDickie, always keeping it real.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Danger-Pumpkin posted:

I do like the idea of using the inexplicable ScotBird moniker as a basis for Larry's tag-team/eventual stable.

Flocking Radical is good, or maybe... ScotBird and the Radical Flockers? If that would fit?
A Flock of Scotbirds.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

I really liked the whole Perry Class arc in this episode, very realistic. (Except the last match didn't have 5 guys run in and beat you up.)

simosimo posted:

Liam Neeson - We got him.
I thought you'd killed him!

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Uncle Jam posted:

Its terrible when someone has a leg off and needs to climb into a steel cage match. It doesn't go so well.
As shown in the excellent The Wrestler : Radical Larry - TRIBUTE

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

I loving knew you were going to lose when you called it a boring match that you were sure to win. MDickie's wrestling games are simply too much like real life wrestling for that not to mean you would lose the lead right at the end. Pure coding genius.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

I like how the booker is standing behind you when the doctor talks about surgery, and yet still thinks you're just being a lazy git.

Covski posted:

Looks to me like lifestyle costs are a simple 5% of your total bank?
Yeah, I think that was what we concluded in the last Mpire thread.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

OH NO MAN posted:

And if Legends House on the WWE Network has taught me anything, wrestlers are also incapable of using basic household appliances.
This is what happens when you're brought up in a world where every item is used for beating up other people.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

OH NO MAN posted:

Oh my god that theme song :magical:
I must admit, I have trouble hearing the lyrics clearly. Something about Liam Neeson?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Pvt.Scott posted:

E: a love triangle subplot with a grand "win their heart in the ring" match between the two rival suitors would be neat.

simosimo posted:

Also there was a marriage storyline in the first Wrestling mpire (2004). And it wasn't with women....
I like the idea of Larry ending up in a match vs. Miss Viola to win the heart of Liam Neeson.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Suspicious Cook posted:

By "win the heart" you mean Larry rips it straight out of his ribcage, right?
No, that will only happen when Liam reveals he was only pretending to love Larry to get into the spotlight.

simosimo posted:

Nightmare fuel
Goodbye to :aaa:

Pvt.Scott posted:

Awww. The clipping eyeballs are great. They're a novel approach born from MD's inexperience and lack of formal training. Truly the end of an era.
I have to admit, the tracking eyeballs add a lot of character to Mpire. I hope MDickie makes up for it with an improved damage/dismemberment system.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Make a highlight video with the winning music from the Eurovision final tonight. You can tap into a whole new crowd for instant youtube fame.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Testekill posted:

I'd say that Larrytron needs a wrestling tax man. Therefore Paper Cut being hired as your manager wasn't a mistake.
Yeah, having someone who understands money handling that side of things should really be the #1 priority of all wrestlers. A pity that people only become managers as a way to get into the spotlight in MDickie Land.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

"I couldn't help but notice that you've lost one or two limbs during your battles in the ring?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Larry is the one suspected of killing Rory Awesome, not the guy who joins wrestling school a week later with pretty much the same look? :raise:

• Locked thread