Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Elizabeth Hargrave

Liza wonders why she paired with her sister, since she full well knows neither of them are capable of making anything more complicated than a sandwich. And that's iffy some days.

[19:18] <Krysmbot> Gorbash, 86 = 86

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlanWhats
Mar 3, 2013

A smartly dressed scientist robot: high five bro.
Sebastian von Falkenrath
Fate: 1/2

Oh god cooking what no this wasn't part of the plan why. Sebastian looks at the knife and goes what no, I'm supposed to stab with this thing not fillet something no I thought I learned how to be fancy why did you fail me knife why. He looks over to Hong. "I...I don't...ze veggies...they do nothing..."

Foresight, out of 44, hell no.
LOGIC: 1d100 66

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
Antoine

Junko's been kind of shadowing him all day, so Ant has no problem being her partner. Sadly, his lack of experience cooking in the household of a French war hero seems to have gotten the better of him. The chicken was undercooked, the vegetables had managed to turn brown, and the less said about the smell the better.

[19:27] <Hashutbot> Vicissitude, vs 29: 77 [1d100=77]

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Hong Li

Don't look at Hong Li. He's not doing much better. All he knows how to make is microwave ramen. He didn't think chicken could BE that color. "Gǒupì! This isn't working!"

<Krysmbot> Waffleman, 52' = 52

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
Rosalie Bryant

In what seems like no time at all, most of the class has already split off into groups. Most people are in their little social circles already, and form pairs pretty easily out of that. Even the pilots have already paired up, but of course they would.

Soon all that's left are Rosalie and a handful of some of the class's less remarkable students, standing there like the last kids to be picked for team sports at recess. Eventually, though, with a set of glances and as few words as possible, even these kids form themselves into the last few groups.

Once she and her partner actually start cooking, though, things proceed pretty mundanely for Rosalie. Small mistakes here and there, but overall nothing too special. Or, considering the disasters in progress in some parts of the kitchen, perhaps it is.

shin42k
Feb 16, 2014

Junko Kurosawa

Junko stood there staring at her pan, her face red as the peppers that she had just cut up. Normally she wasn't too bad at cooking, but here she was flustered, making small mistakes here and there. The end result looks edible, but she wouldn't give it to anyone, she knew it wouldn't taste good.

Int test: 34 vs 32

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

As three separate culinary disasters unfold, the teacher does her best to stay encouraging. At least, until Jenna and Elizabeth's wok catches fire. While the fire is easily contained, it still earns the two an afterschool detention so they can clean the smell of carbonized meat and veg out of the pans.

Period 4: Gym

The class is still laughing about pilots being bad cooks in the changing rooms as you all get ready to do a few laps around the track.

Junko, Elizabeth, Jenna

Girls are up first. The coach orders everyone on to the starting line. "We'll do a warm up jog for 500m, and then a 100m sprint!" She studies you all before blowing the starting whistle, and you're off!

Hong, Antoine, Sebastian

While waiting for your turn you overhear someone getting teased.

"Hey, Kiyoshi, what were you staring at?" "Uh, nothing!" "Ha ha, he's ogling one of the pilot twins!"

Looking over you can see the culprit blushing stop sign red.

Test agility, toughness or strength, whichever your want.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Jenna

Jenna isn't the fastest, but that doesn't matter; she's able to keep the pace far better than anyone.

Including, for once, her sister.

KPrime, 6 = 6 toughness

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Elizabeth Hargrave

Liza does better at this at least, though she's clearly a bit annoyed that Jenna is doing better.

vs 40 (Toughness)
[12:32] <Krysmbot> Gorbash, 31 = 31

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Hong Li

HONG LI IS NOT GOOD AT THIS RUNNING THING.

He notices the student being picked on and sits down next to him. "Don't....don't let her catch you staring."

72 against 38 agility

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Apr 27, 2014

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

Antoine

If there's anything that Ant would be good at, it's running. Every morning back home it was up at 5 in the morning for exercise. He easily paces his classmates and finishes his job and sprint with an admirable time. He gets back in time to hear the ribbing the rest are giving to Kiyoshi.

"Which one? Trust me, it makes a big difference."

[13:45] <Hashutbot> Vicissitude, vs 35: 12 [1d100=12]

shin42k
Feb 16, 2014

Junko Kurosawa

Junko had always been fast, she enjoyed running. It was one of the few things that she was decent at, she even managed to keep up with Jenna, although Junko was slightly behind.

[http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4484844/]Ag[/url]: 12 vs 40. Also got the fast asset if that matters.

AlanWhats
Mar 3, 2013

Sebastian von Falkenrath

Oh no why. It had to be gym didn't it? Lately this had become one of Sebastian's most hated subjects; constant, in your face evidence of just how much his body had fallen recently. One minute you think you're good, the next you're gasping for breath with your spine seizing wondering what the hell went wrong.

This time though, it seemed...not bad. He was actually doing quite admirably, even pulling ahead of Antoine a couple of times. However, he wasn't Superman, or anything even remotely close. He couldn't sustain the somewhat grueling pace, so he simply held back a bit, fairly in the middle of the pack.

When they get to addressing the poor hapless idiot lovestruck student, Sebastian looks to Antoine's response with a raised eyebrow. Breathing heavily, he manages to spit out what he intends with the eyebrow. "Is...Is there?"

Yeah let's test Agility at 35
AGILITY: 1d100 10

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Kiyoshi looks up uneasily at Hong and Antoine. "Uh, uh, J-Jenna, the quiet one." He suddenly remembers something. "Hey, you're both pilots right? What's she like?"

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

Antoine

This is awkward... How best to describe Jenna?

"Well, yeah, she is quiet. But she can be... intense, at times. Like, really intense. She's pretty competitive. Probably a twin thing."

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Hong Li

"Yeah, she's pretty quiet, but she and her sister also seem pretty close. You'll have to get through Elizabeth if you want a chance with Jenna, and, well..."

Hong Li hopes Elizabeth isn't listening.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

"Yeah, I guess." Kiyoshi seems to lose himself in thought, and there's no further trouble as the class draws to a close.

Afterschool

Every club wants to get more members so they can get that much closer to being The Biggest Club. The sports teams in particular are looking out for you after your showing in gym. Well, except for Hong. Luckily there's lots of other clubs too: AV, tea ceremony, computer, music, book, anime...OK, maybe not anime, that short pudgy kid with the coke glasses and suspenders looks kind of aggro.

Jenna and Elizabeth don't get to go to today's meetings, though, since they get to do wash up.

Captain Takanago

For the most part this day was uneventful but productive; you got the funding for improved defenses assigned, everyone's been brought up to speed, the science team is...scienceing, and- oh, an email from Takenaka:

quote:

ALERT: HEADER DAMAGE DETECTED. RECONSTRUCTING...

Bryant,

I trust everything is going well regarding the improved fortifications. We cannot as yet determine when or if the next Angel may strike and I want maximum preparedness. To that end I've had the simulators updated with the customized loadouts we determined fit the pilots' needs and attack patterns. Consequently I am authorising and tasking you with ensuring maximum pilot readiness by any means necessary up to and including enhanced psychological coercion. Of course, if you feel that you catch more flies with honey than vinegar that's your prerogative; the means are irrelevant.

Lt. Cmd Takenaka

-----BEGIN PGP PRIVATE KEY BLOCK-----
Version: YHXR v1.7.2.1
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=tzRv
-----END PGP PRIVATE KEY BLOCK-----

Wait, why on earth is a PGP private key attached? And what was wrong with the header? Normally, if there was damage there the system wouldn't even send it...

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Hong Li

Hong Li resents that remark. Anyhoozle, he decides to join the art club. Drawing is always fun when you're doing it with friends!

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
Rosalie Bryant

"Hey, um..." Rose speaks up after being quiet pretty much all afternoon. "I don't know if you guys know, but here in Japan you're supposed to join a club after school. You guys might have pilot stuff to do, but I figured you guys might want to know that. You can do sports or martial arts stuff if you want, or cultural-type clubs if you don't. Like books or art and stuff."

She pauses, kind of awkwardly. "I usually go to the Literature Club."

Thomas Bryant
Fate: 1/2 (1 Conditional)

"By any means necessary"? ...Does Takenaka seriously expect- No. Of course he does.

The Captain stares incredulously at the screen, and then glances down to a set of half-completed Pilot Evaluation Forms sitting on his desk. Takenaka's not wrong. If they don't get whipped into shape they're liable to get themselves killed sooner or later. All it would take would be a mis-step here, a rash decision there, a moment of hesitation, or hell, just about any kind of equipment failure. It could be any thing, at any time, and there might not be anything that you could even do about it.

Seriously, they're kids. Same age as Rosie. Normal rookies are bad enough, and they've got four or five years on these pilots. Plus, there's the whole inhuman monstrosity thing and-

No. No. No. Let's not dwell on this. You know what happens when you go down that road. And you were the one that agreed to do this thing. You knew what you were getting into.

Stop. Take a breath. Move on.

Bryant looks down at the PGP encryption key. Yeah, that's certainly a red flag. No doubt about it, especially coming from Takenaka. Might as well take a look and see what you can unlock with it...

Computer Use Roll, vs 41
<Krysmbot> Takanago, 63 = 63

Nope, spending FP to re-roll
<Krysmbot> Takanago, 4 = 4

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

Antoine

Ant has to lean toward the book club. He's already well ahead of them in classics, but perhaps they can give him something more contemporary to look into.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Elizabeth Hargrave

"Seriously? We have to clean? It's not like we set it on fire on purpose! Why would either of us have to learn about cooking in the first place?" Liza does the cleaning, but complains throughout.

shin42k
Feb 16, 2014

Junko Kurosawa

Junko was interested in the literature club. She was naturally quiet and shy, so such a club was perfect for her. Another point in the clubs favour is that she would know at least one person there, Rosalie. She seemed like a nice enough person, maybe one day they could become friends.

shin42k fucked around with this message at 19:45 on May 7, 2014

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Jenna

Jenna's only shown emotion through the irritating cleaning is rolled eyes at her sister's ranting. Just get it done, she thinks. It's like an hour, whatever.

AlanWhats
Mar 3, 2013

Sebastian von Falkenrath

Hmmm...so many options, so many options...

Sebastian frowns a bit at the lack of much involving history, although the literature club could possibly touch on that. Joining that would not only provide him with an outside perspective and source of books, it would also allow him to keep an eye on Rosalie. After all, it would only be prudent to keep watch over the Captain's daughter (seriously sweet jesus why). However, there was one club near the bottom of the list that caught his eye. "The Wargaming Club."

Sebastian grins. Oh you poor naive fool...

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Captain Bryant

With a little poking about in the header you find that someone's buried a directory address in there, which explains the system flagging it. Looking that address up reveals an encrypted file, which Takenaka's key of course decrypts.

quote:

Bryant, you're resourceful enough that you should find this before they do. NERV isn't what it seems. There's someone else, more powerful, pulling the strings behind the scenes. I've seen strange expenditures, odd meetings I was locked out of, and the computer department isn't 100% forthcoming about some of the more unusual taskings I've had to send their way.

Here's what I've been able to scrounge up; they're called CHARON, and they're into Greek mythology. That's it. It's probable there's a connection with the MAGI but that's my own idle speculation. There's a device in Unit 00, however. It's not on any of the blueprints or documents. It was never authorised or funded, and the engineers don't know about it or aren't forthcoming if they do. I've a feeling that it's connected. You might want to check it out.

This document will delete itself after being opened. If you want to go further, commit it to memory -- DON'T WRITE IT DOWN. If you want to take the blue pill just forget you ever saw this and don't bring it up.

Pilots

You sign up for the various clubs you're joining, and get to attend a session where you spend most of the time introducing yourself to the other members and getting up to speed on their activities. Soon, you're heading home, where you've now got to deal with the twin problems of homework and dinner.

If you want, you can make up an NPC at the club your character developed a rapport with or whatever. Otherwise post your evening activities (no logic tests for homework :v:).

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Hong Li

To say that the president of the art club, Sayoko Nakashima, is dedicated to art would be an immense understatement. When Hong Li entered the club room, she immediately inspected his sketchbook and found his ability worthy of the club. At least one thing went his way today.

When Hong returns to the apartment, he does his homework and decides to get in a bit of tai chi practice in his room. Anybody passing by his room should be able to hear traditional Chinese music playing from inside.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Elizabeth Hargrave

The one good thing about the disaster earlier is that it should put a permanent end to any discussion of Liza and Jenna taking on cooking duties. Liza uses some of the time that frees up to organize her things before going out to join the others. Too bad about clubs, she might have looked into the fencing group. Or would it be kendo here? It hardly matters, like Jenna said they should get out of this as soon as possible.

"So, how do we get in touch with the Captain so we can get out of this stupid school thing?"

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Jenna

Jenna picks a club at random from the untranslated list so nobody bothers her about it, then heads home.

Upon getting home, she immediately sets up camp in front of the TV, oddly ignoring her sister's continuation of ranting. She sets about hauling an absolutely ludicrous box set that apparently was the entire part of her luggage that was not essentials out.

A beeping sounds as she goes to put the first disc in. She makes a face and eats a pill.

Then, she hits play.

"I'm starting at episode one again."

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
Rosalie Bryant

At Literature Club, Rose introduces the new students and the club members to each other. The club meeting is not exactly buzzing with social activity, however. Once past initial greetings, a fair amount of the people there just start reading and seem to drift into their own little world. The others don't seem to talkative either, except for a small handful of misfits that don't even seem to even pick up a book at all. What are they even doing here? Do they just go to book club because they have nowhere better to go?

Rose mostly just hangs out with the pilots during the club's activities, and sticks around with them after school. She even follows you all back to your apartment. Apparently she lives in the same building.

Elizabeth's question provokes a bewildered stare. "Wait, you don't even have his phone number?" Rose quickly brings up her dad's contact info on her phone and holds it out towards the other girl. "Here."

Takanago fucked around with this message at 01:40 on May 7, 2014

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Elizabeth Hargrave

"Thank you," Liza says, taking the phone and hitting the dial button. She rolls her eyes at Jenna's programming selection while she waits for someone to pickup. "Again? Really? You can practically quote all them already."

shin42k
Feb 16, 2014

Junko Kurosawa

At the club, Rose introduced them to the others. Unsurprisingly, the people there weren’t the most social around. After the initial introductions Junko decided to peruse the bookshelves in order to find a book. She picked “100 Years of Solitude”, just from the title she felt that she would be able to relate. Instead of reading it now, she opted to hang out a bit with Rosalie, although Junko wasn’t the most talkative person in the world.

When they had all gone home, Junko decided to sit down on the sofa and started to read. She listened to her music play, one headphone in her left ear, the other ear left free. She could now block out the outside world if she wanted to.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
Thomas Bryant

...What the Hell?

The words on-screen were the kind of thing that managed to be as clear and straightforward as they were strange and confusing. Bryant's eyes scan over the first paragraph a few times to confirm that, yes, the message was saying exactly what it seemed to be saying.

It didn't help that the idea was just in an uncanny valley of plausibility where everything seems just crazy enough to be true. Because, really, who would really deny that there's anything weird going on behind the scenes of a secret global organization dedicated to fighting monsters with giant robots? Still though, there's a pretty big drat difference between having a vague, weird feeling about your workplace and having it spelled out right in front of your eyes. You'd think that an organization like NERV would be weird and secret enough on it's own. Apparently not.

And then, while considering the absurdity of the situation, Bryant finally reaches a few important words:

'This document will delete itself after being opened.'

poo poo. The captain instinctively reaches for his pen and paper but quickly stops himself. Instead he just reads the message over again and again, trying to memorize the important parts as fast as he can before the thing possibly disappears. NERV. Conspiracy. Secrecy. Charon. Greeks. MAGI. Unit 00. Don't leave a paper trail.

Bzzzzt. Bzzzzt.

Suddenly, the noise of his cell phone ringing interrupts Bryant's tense concentration. For a brief moment, his mind flashes to the worst possible conclusions, imagining Takenaka, Koizumi, or one of the men from Section-2 on the other side of the line. Or maybe even...

pre:
Call From:
ROSALIE
Oh. Well that makes you feel kind of silly.

After taking a second to calm down Bryant picks up and casually answers the phone. "Hello. Rosie?"

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Elizabeth Hargrave

"You aren't serious about making us do this stupid school thing are you?"

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
Thomas Bryant

"...I'm sorry, what?"

It takes the captain a moment to answer, and another formulate a more coherent response. "Is this... Elizabeth? Are you seriously calling me to complain about school?"

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

Antoine

Liza is complaining again. It seems to be her default mood.

"Those who don't study the past are doomed to repeat it, pumpkin."

'Pumpkin' is so easily mistaken for any other gourd. That is, short, squat and, let's face it, fat. Hopefully she won't misunderstand and take it too personally, but Ant knows that she'll harbor a grudge over it. It seems to be in her nature. Rather than prepare for a counterattack, he decides to hunker down in a blanket fort. There's a nice fire in the fireplace under the TV, and the club suggested a decent classic to read. Not that Ant has never read Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, but it's always nice to settle in with an old friend.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Hong Li

Hong Li peeks out of his room and speaks up just enough to be heard by the Captain and no louder.

"I-It's really okay, Captain Bryant..."

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Elizabeth Hargrave

"It's utterly absurd that we're wasting our time with this! We should be training, getting ready for the next time an Angel shows up." She puts her hand over the phone, turning towards Antoine.

"My name is Liza. But then, maybe I shouldn't hold it against little boys that they're so intimidated by girls that they have to call then belittling, condescending nicknames so they can feel a small measure of adequacy."

She goes back to the phone. "It's not as if we'd be allowed to go off and follow some different calling even if we wanted to."

shin42k
Feb 16, 2014

Junko giggled to herself, covering her mouth with her hand so that (hopefully) nobody could see her. For some reason, the exchange between Elizabeth and Antoine made her laugh. It was obvious that Antoine didn't mean anything offensive by it (although it did sound a bit condescending; really now, "pumpkin"). But in turn Elizabeth's response was so vocal and harsh, she was even giving Bryant a browbeating. Everyone here was crazy, it was fun though

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
Thomas Bryant

There is a heavy sigh on the other side of the line. "So you are calling to complain about school." Great.

"Don't you think there's a reason why we're still having you go? Usually the military won't even accept you if you don't have a high school diploma. If you can't handle high school, that probably means you can't handle a battlefield. There's more to being a soldier than just having piloting skills, y'know. Discipline, math, reading, critical thinking, team skills. It's important."

"But if you just want to train more, that's fine. We can do that. In fact, we just got custom simulators set up for you guys. How does that sound?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Jenna

"BE QUIET, THIS IS THE GOOD PART OF THE EPISODE!!"

• Locked thread