Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

That's not "learning japanese", that's just jokingly repeating a few well known phrases as a friendly goodbye.

The point of that was he was at least making an effort to learn since up until then he hasn't spoken a word of Japanese, joke or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

ViggyNash posted:

The point of that was he was at least making an effort to learn since up until then he hasn't spoken a word of Japanese, joke or not.

Well the newest episode just showed that he was definitely making an effort to learn the language. I like the detail with his broken grammar and still sort of distinctly Chinese sounding intonation.

drat, that was a roller coaster of an episode. The beginning part was depressingly low (at least Kong seemed to be doing okay :unsmith:), but the second half really brought the mood back up.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

This is the ugliest, most beautiful show.

With only 5 episodes left I hope they nail the ending. I never thought I would like a sports anime more than Chihayafuru but, unless they gently caress up, this is it.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Loved this episode. Kong is pretty clearly my favorite character at this point. Seeing him start to relax and act like less of a hot dog was really endearing, as well as bringing his mom to Japan. Peco finally starts justifying his eminence in the series thus far, too.

One thing though: Can you really get drunk from eating whiskey bon bons? Or is Peco just on another level when it comes to being full of poo poo?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

This show has done a spectacular job of flipping everyones characterization. Weird world where the non confrontational guy is the biggest douche right now and just about everyone else seems to be more down to earth and chilling

Also I want to see a match between old teacher guy and old ping pong studio owner.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Cao Ni Ma posted:

This show has done a spectacular job of flipping everyones characterization. Weird world where the non confrontational guy is the biggest douche right now and just about everyone else seems to be more down to earth and chilling

Also I want to see a match between old teacher guy and old ping pong studio owner.

In a weaker show that sort of reversal would feel really out of place and gimmicky, but thankfully the writing's so sharp and on point that you don't question it. It just feels like a completely natural direction for the cast.

Of course it helps that the cast is quite strong, everyone feels like an actual person instead of the usual sports anime archetypes (and I say this as someone who usually enjoys those).

It's just a fantastic episode that reminds us of how excellent the cast is. The only bad thing I can say about it is that waiting another week for more sucks! Each episode gives more than enough to chew on but dammit, I want more.

Roflfox
Jan 29, 2008

Your one and only, scorching laser light

GorfZaplen posted:

I hope we get to see more cameos of the long-haired player as the series goes on, and he wanders around Japan looking for a place to fit with.

His journey is never going to end is it? :smith:

I am fascinated by this show. It feels so very different from your typical sports fare in that you really care about what's going to happen to the characters instead of being in it for HOT BLOODED SHOUNEN ANTICS (as with YowaPeda, which I absolutely love). Watching Kong make progress transitioning has been fun to watch, and I'm really curious if Smile is going to truly give in and fully become that which he hates or if Smile will be able to save him from himself (in a sense).

Oh and the Kaio theme rules. It perfectly symbolizes everything about that school.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Man I'm really liking the characters in this show now. Wenge is a real cool dude when he isn't stressing the gently caress out over table tennis.

This episode also made me really want to see what Yuasa would do with an Iron Giant remake.

Zorak posted:

Hazama... well, we don't quite know what Hazama's deal is yet. He is sort of a combination of all the other characters combined thus far in terms of their strengths; he is innately talented, but also puts the effort in. He "lacks" weakness or mercy, but also any really apparent 'vice' either. Maybe we'll get to see more of him as time goes on.

I think his deal is that the pressure to succeed and stay on top is getting to him. There's also the whole thing with his cousin, apparently.

cammy14
Apr 5, 2011
I laughed so hard at "Papua!?!". The timing for that was perfect.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

paragon1 posted:

I think his deal is that the pressure to succeed and stay on top is getting to him. There's also the whole thing with his cousin, apparently.

I posted that like two episodes ago before we learned all that :ssh:

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Zorak posted:

I posted that like two episodes ago before we learned all that :ssh:

haha I didn't realize you'd posted it so long ago. This thread has a shamefully small amount of posts. :v:

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Kong's Christmas Party :3:

This is the first anime that's made me care so much about all the characters, even the side characters. I really want to see where this story takes them.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Kong and his mom. :3:

I hope wandering long-haired guy returns to defeat everyone else at the end.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Argh I'm gonna have to make some dumplings next time I go home.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Holy poo poo that was a good episode. Kong's quickly becoming my favorite character.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Kong has the most :unsmith: scenes, man I love this show.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I think I might have watched the karaoke montage at least ten times. :3: Wenge is the goddamn best, this show is the goddamn best.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

This is seriously like the best show. I watched the whole ep like 3 times and I don't remember the last time I ever did that.

Everyone else has said it, but everyone, even the weird-haired captain, has a fair amount of characterization to the point I give a poo poo about him. This episode might be my favorite so far, and it doesn't even have any crazy over-the-top wacky ping pong scenes.

I want Kong to turn his school into ping-pong monsters :unsmith:

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
I want Kong to lose happily through the power of friendship.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

I want Kong to take down his former Chinese teammates.

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

I want ping pong ding dongs.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I want some of these characters to just chill out. :smith: It's just a game, it's okay to enjoy life and hang out with your loved ones!

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
One current aspect of the show I like is the adults teaching and training the children to relive their past dreams. It's happening to everyone but Kong at this point in various ways, and it adds depth to what could have been rather faceless mentors without any nuance.

oilatsnep
Sep 5, 2011

Really good episode, the drowning and karaoke sequences were especially great.

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
Granted I don't have much other reference for fiction about teenagers competing in solitary sports on an international level, but the inner struggles the characters are saddled with reminds me a lot of Infinite Jest.

weird
Jun 4, 2012

by zen death robot

OnimaruXLR posted:

Loved this episode. Kong is pretty clearly my favorite character at this point. Seeing him start to relax and act like less of a hot dog was really endearing, as well as bringing his mom to Japan.

Yeah, they're really doing a great job handling his characterisation. I thought he felt sort of one dimensional earlier on, but it was totally believable how they fleshed him out.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I
It's been a few weeks since I read the manga but I don't remember basically anything with Kong's Mom coming to Japan happening in the manga.

Thanks Yuasa.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

apt gangbang posted:

Yeah, they're really doing a great job handling his characterisation. I thought he felt sort of one dimensional earlier on, but it was totally believable how they fleshed him out.

He was pretty 1-dimensional until he got that reality check, which makes a lot of sense. He was so narrow-mindedly focused on that goal of his that it was all there was too him.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

laplace posted:

It's been a few weeks since I read the manga but I don't remember basically anything with Kong's Mom coming to Japan happening in the manga.

Thanks Yuasa.

I just read the manga a few days ago, and yeah, this doesn't happen. I think it's good that they're adding more Kong stuff, though; if I recall correctly, Kong pretty much disappears from the plot for most of the middle of the manga.

glomkettle
Sep 24, 2013

There isn't really a ton to say about this episode other than that the show continues to be absolutely phenomenal.

In other news apparently the full ending theme was leaked: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqxzXesDHu0

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
But all I want is the full OP

And yeah, show's great. Hope Peco doesn't blow out his knee or something. It looks like it's leading up to a Butterfly Jo vs Ryu guy-type match.

linall
Feb 1, 2007
So is Kong's ping pong robot actually a thing? I would guess no, but it doesn't actually seem all that far fetched?

e: v - I would imagine it's exactly that. Hrm, neat.

linall fucked around with this message at 03:51 on May 23, 2014

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

linall posted:

So is Kong's ping pong robot actually a thing? I would guess no, but it doesn't actually seem all that far fetched?

It's probably an homage to this
http://spectrum.ieee.org/automaton/robotics/industrial-robots/robots-playing-ping-pong-whats-real-and-whats-not

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

Peco's mom looking exactly like him was the best part of the episode and the engrish was great as always.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

linall posted:

e: v - I would imagine it's exactly that. Hrm, neat.

Very real. Google ping pong training machine, there are tons out there.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The cast of this show is so many layers deep and so well realized that it's a little bit terrifying. Like, everyone you meet on this show has some huge story behind them, and while you don't have to view them all equally it's all thematically connected.

absolem
May 21, 2014

The Civil Rights Act of 1964 [is] immoral
insofar as it is coercive towards someone, yes

I am retarded and compassion is overrated.

AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS

Butt Frosted Cake posted:

Also tekkonkinkreet got a movie adaptation, watch that too

here's a second for watching tekkon kinkreet

Outer Science posted:

I really wanted to like this, but Yuasa's art style is just too much of a roadblock :smith:. I had the same problems with Tatami Galaxy, Mind Game, and Kaiba--I couldn't stand the art, they were almost painful to watch.

I feel similarly but not as heavily about Gainax/Trigger though so I guess I just have the world's most awful taste

wow, I didn't know anyone didn't like the art to the tatami galaxy or kaiba

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Butt Frosted Cake posted:

Peco's mom looking exactly like him was the best part of the episode and the engrish was great as always.

That scene had me in stitches. That and the music that played when what's-his-face gave Yurie(?) the flowers. This was just all around an amazing episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
Smile's running montage had some great music too. I love the soundtrack to this, I really do.

• Locked thread