Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Ping Pong is a manga series by Taiyō Matsumoto about table tennis, and it’s getting an anime this Spring directed by Masaaki Yuasa at Tatsunoko Production, a studio that’s been around since the 60s. You should know Yuasa from The Tatami Galaxy, Kick-Heart, and a bunch of other cool things you should watch.

I’m super hyped for this, as you should be for anything by Yuasa and doubly so since the source seems to fit him so well. The clips that have been leaking out are breathtaking even by Yuasa standards, taking something very mundane and twisting it into something amazing. I admit that I’m skipping the manga in favor of the anime, but it’s got a pretty solid reputation.

Sports anime is something of a niche taste outside of Japan, but everyone should check this out.

Non english speaking countries can grab it on Crunchyroll. Americans can grab it from Funimation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmZVuMDlw-w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF-KHYGXh_g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEaDOZkLMSs

devtesla fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Apr 13, 2014

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
More previews!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0FgvRHrxTg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHcYaLJn1XU

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
That was so loving fun.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I watched it again and I liked it even more the second time, which is always a good sign. I love how it's mostly very natural and almost conventional in how it's directed, and then it pulls something risky and interesting like the panel cuts and the sweep out of the gym and into the sky. The theme of "someone is always better than you but you should try anyway" is super obvious right from the start, but I didn't find it distracting largely because it keeps presenting the idea in so many different ways.

Srice posted:

Hopefully the OP is finished next week, I assume it was just a placeholder here.

I actually really like the OP, and I think repetitive shots of people practicing and playing the game fits the tone of the show. I think it would be cool if they updated it with new clips for each week. I have no idea what it will be, however.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Mercrom posted:

The art just looks like it was an afterthought to the story, and not something the artist obsessed over.

Get a load of this guy. It takes a lot of skill to look this unpolished and still communicate so much emotion.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Popo posted:

Got to say though, could that white pan from Peco up to Weng on the roof have felt longer?

That was to get you listening to the ping pong sounds.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Paper Triangle posted:

Anybody know if or when the full version of the OP song will be out? I really like it.

I think this is the song and the single isn't out until June. And yea, it's loving great.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Today is Ping Pong day, the best day of the week.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The cut at the end to the third year at the beach is loving devastating, holy poo poo.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
God, those split screen cuts are so good. I hope we see dozens of shows try to imitate that over the next two years. I want to get sick of clever split screen cuts.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Srice posted:

Peco's match was a little dull (though that seemed to be the point)

By sports anime standards that was basically a disney film.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The cast of this show is so many layers deep and so well realized that it's a little bit terrifying. Like, everyone you meet on this show has some huge story behind them, and while you don't have to view them all equally it's all thematically connected.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Boogiepop is analog recording hell and I love it.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
From bald to delinquent hair, basically the best.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

BlueFlowerRedSky posted:

The "fleshy," relatively-realistic animation style and focus on character interactions (as well as the lack of your typical anime tropes/ nerd-pandering bullshit) gives the show a very grounded feel.

If you haven't yet, watch basically everything else by Masaaki Yuasa.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Oh god if this episode is this good how good will the finale be? So hype, so loving hype.

Gonna have the full version on the opening on repeat for a while. Oh, and yea the full version of the op is out!:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3fgIdufiW4

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Between this and Yuasa's Adventure Time episode there is so much new Yuasa today that every other day officially pales in comparison.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

UP AND ADAM posted:

I really loved the finale until the kids' song. I liked the childhood flashbacks a ton, and I get it, but it seemed hokey and halted a lot of my emotion during that part of the episode. From then on, and during it image-wise, it resumed being really great. I like Wenge's ending the best, but I'm glad that everyone is having a blast in the epilogue.

That's just a matter of taste as the song was like a gut punch for me.

Beef Waifu posted:

Ping Pong is good.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Please add your opinion to the ADTRWiki page for Ping Pong!

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

laplace posted:

All of Yuasa's stuff is incredible and you should watch all of it.

This.

If you're looking for reality based shows that are really good, try Kids on the Slope, Hyouka, Usagi Drop, or Chihayafuru.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Celebrate the new avatar size limit with Ping Pong avatars!

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Glad yall loved as much as we do! Remember to check out Yuasa other work, like The Tatami Galaxy, Kaiba, Kemonozume, and his movie Mind Game.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Hay, this is cool: Funimation has put the entire series up on YouTube!

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Huh? Ping Pong was picked up by Funimation, which usually means it isn't Aniplex because those get picked up by Aniplex of America. If it was going to get a Blu Ray it would be Funi, but I'm not expecting them to take the risk on it.

The Japanese Blu Ray box is super cool, but there's no English subtitles so we're kinda outa luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo, Ping Pong is getting both a Blu-Ray and a Dub!

• Locked thread