Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

A love that crushes like a mace.
Hey guys, sorry for the delay in updating, I'm just letting you know that I'll almost certainly have an update done for tomorrow night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
Cool! Thanks for the update's update.

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

Episode 5: Cold, Cold, Heart

"Very little damage gets through" is code for "the attacker is totally hosed."

Welcome back. Last time, we had just freed the town of Primm from a gang of convicts holding it hostage. Before that, there's one little thing that I forgot to post in the last update. While we were at Lone Wolf radio, we found one of these:

The Wasteland Survival Guide! If you played Fallout 3, you almost certainly remember this book as the result of one of the longer questlines in the game. This is a skill book, and when you read it it will give you three skill points in the relevant skill. Unsuprisingly, this one increases our Survival skill.

Now then, thanks to Deputy Beagle, we know that our attackers went east to Nipton, then onwards to Novac. Armed with this new information, we head out of town.

On the way out, though we run into Beagle leaning against a wall, with a contemplative stare. Or maybe that's just how people look when they're rendered by Gamebryo. Anyway, we talk to him.

What's with the quotes? YOU ASKED ME TO BRING THE LAW. What's your problem now?

My problem is that I'm no longer a deputy. I'm just a Beagle now.

You got fired already? Primm Slim must be smarter than I thought.

Slimm is alright, I don't wish him no harm, but the law to him is a set of logic. Not everything is black and white, not sure a robot can ever understand that.

He understood enough to fire you. *mic drop*

Remember, our charisma is 1.

On the way out of town, some wreckage in the distance catches our eye.

This is creepy as poo poo. I'm outta here.

This is the path to the Lonesome Road DLC. We won't be coming here for a loooong time.

On our way back to the main road we encounter a ghoul. Ghouls are humans who have been exposed to an excess of radiation and mutated into zombie-like creatures. Most retain their human intelligence. This one, however has gone "feral" and is attacking us.

He gets reduced to goo for his troubles.

Meanwhile, we hit level 5! Still putting points into Energy Weapons!

And our perk is Comprehension, which gives us and additional skill point when we read a skill book, like for example, the Wasteland Survival Guide we got at the beginning of the update.

More ghouls continue to attack us, but with our plasma pistol and ED-E's laser back up...

..let's just say we're not in much danger.

We also come across a highway patrol station, with a very charming sign on the door.

The squatters inside are as friendly as the decoration suggested. We kill them and take their stuff.

Continuing down the road, we see two statues in the distance.

Hey, that's the Mojave Outpost. I should buy more ammo there.

Heading over to the Outpost, we find a plaque explaining the statues.

The statues look like they've been made out of scrap and spare metal parts.

They are also quite big. You can see the courier standing to the right of one of them in this shot.

We're so impressed by them, we immediately strike up a conversation with the first person we see.

What are those statues of?

Those two? Represent unification. Mostly good for shade. Won't do much else when the Legion reaches us.

Well you're kind of a wet blanket, aren't you? What is this place?

Outpost, Mojave Outpost. Watching a lot of nothing, feels like a big brahmin pen for caravans. They've been stopped for a while, waiting for the roads North to clear - or their clearance papers to go through. Look like you've walked a ways, so if you need to shake the dust off, head to the barracks, the bar's there. Not much but better than nothing.

Well, 5:00 is only eight hours away... Any work around here?

Nothing I know of, but if You've come from the North, means you can travel freer than most around here. Might check the Barracks, someone might need you to hoof it somewhere. Just be careful if you go up on the roof - got a sniper watching the road. If your gear's in need of repair, HQ's also worth checking out - talk to Major Knight, he can help. Provided you got a pen and plenty of ink.

If I had caps I wouldn't be asking for work. Thanks, though.

We head into the Outpost's HQ, and meet this Major Knight.

Uh, citizen, I guess.

Just need something for the log book, keeping tabs on traffic through the outpost... although mostly just in, not out these days. If you're looking for the commanding officer, he's in the back. Although... he's got a lot on his plate, so if you speak with him, keep it short.

What can you tell me about the outpost?

NCR border guard duty mostly. It's our job to make sure the caravans can move safely along I-15 and Highway 95.

Isn't the I-15 a deathtrap?

Only north of here. The I-15 is the main lifeline from the NCR into the Mojave.

Oh.

Well, we want to help the NCR as much as we can, so let's go bother the station commander see what we can do to help! On our way though, a soldier tells us what he thinks of the Mojave.

We're going to be hearing a lot of that.

Ranger Jackson here, is an NCR ranger; the NCR's most elite troops.

And if you're passing through, you picked a bad time. Road north has gone to hell, and if I let a caravan through, they won't make it.

You seem like you have enough soldiers.

Soldiers, no, recruits, yes. And the Mojave Outpost has been ordered to have a standing force at the NCR perimeter at all times. So sending anyone out reduces the Outpost's numbers and would be in direct violation of my orders from back West.

Well, is the NCR sending more troops at least?

Sending more troops, yes, to reinforce the outpost, no. Troops head through here on their way to McCarran or to the frontlines at Forlorn Hope. Or they're on leave, on their way to New Vegas to pis away their pay. All of them, passing through.

Is there really a base called Forlorn Hope? That sounds like it would be terrible for morale.

Well, I didn't come up with it.

You sound frustrated.

Frustrated? No. I have my orders - signed and approved all the way up the chain from Kimball. And I understand the reasons. The Outpost isn't a Legion target, yet, not like Vegas or the Dam - but if the caravans get chocked here, that's going to bite NCR hard.

Anyway, didn't mean to talk your ear off. Some days... just feel like more requisition forms and daily reports come across my desk than results.

Anyway I can help?

I need to get the caravans moving again, that means clearing a path north. There's too much crawling the asphalt up the road to allow it.

Sounds like a deal.

Thanks, I appreciate it. Come back here when you're done, I might accidentally "lose" some supplies to pay you with.

Though Jackson doesn't actually mention specifically what he wants the courier to do, our quest log reveals that we need to kill some giant ants hiding out under an overpass. But first, let's get a drink at the bar, and chat up the locals.

Like this lady at the bar. She seems nice.

Or not.

Just wanted to ask some questions about the outpost.

Got no time or answers for you. Ask a drifter in need of a few caps, they'll give you all the answers you need.

Are you all right? Because I can smell your breath from here. Before noon, too. That's, uh, that's a real accomplishment.

All right? No, I'm not all right. Drinking to forget, and it's only getting me mad instead. Whiskey always gets my temper up - now more than ever. Drinking used to cause all sorts of trouble back West - before I punched enough people, that is, and they learned to lay low before the whiskey hit.

Uh, how about you keep your hands by your sides.

Don't worry, not looking to throw punches just yet. And something tells me hitting you would be a mistake I wouldn't want to repeat.

I'll take that as a compliment.

Why would they do that?

My guess is Legion, they're trying to cut NCR's supply line... and the Mojave Outpost is proof. Got us locked up tighter than a New Vegas virgin. No caravans in, out, and just try arguing with Jackson about it. "Roads aren't safe", he says. No, poo poo, you washed-out old fuckup, I didn't need a Brotherhood Scribe to tell me that.

I've met him. Nice impersonation.

Yeah, he's been with NCR so long all he can see is the worst outcome of everything - so he doesn't do anything. Jackson won't let me head north, it's not safe... and even though my caravan's gone, my caravan papers are keeping me here. So if you came here for work, my advice? Go find the Crimson Caravan branch, south of Vegas. They can help you out.

I'll keep that in mind, I always need caps. Why are you at the bar? Besides the obvious.

Whiskey and me are old friends, keeps me going when times get rough. Like now. Got me into the caravan business, you know - had to start transporting water instead of liquor, though. If I hadn't switched over, I'd end my trip with nothing but glass bottles rattling on the back of Brahmin.

Any other work?

I don't know, seems to be a lot of attention on Nipton. Word is, one of the snipers in the nest on the roof spotted smoke from the East.

Sniper on the roof?

Yeah, her name's Ghost or something... loving scary, ooooooh. Guess it's cause you'll never see her 'til you're dead.

:iiam:

NCR and their goddamn nicknames, as if Caesar himself's gonna piss and run if he hears them. Anyway, go on and head up top, ask her what's going on, if you haven't already. I don't much give a poo poo.

I'll be going, then.

You take care now.

We pick up some more ammo for our plasma pistol from the bartender, and head up to the roof to meet this "Ghost".

She's as pale as a ghost, that's for sure.

Depends on the work.

I think there's trouble in Nipton - no traffic from there on the roads, and while I can explain that away, the smoke from the town I can't. I'm sure it's been hit - what I need to know is if they survived it. Might be Powder Gangers with all that smoke in the air. If there's anybody left, they'd be in Nipton Town Hall. Go there, check it out, let me know what you find.

So, I'm pretty sure I know the answer, but...Why don't you go check it out?

Got my post. Don't think I wouldn't go, too - if trouble's hit Nipton, town's got enough camping spots to rack up some easy kills. Not about to have Jackson bust my rear end again, though, even if I came back with Caesar's head - rather be sitting here than in a cell.

I'll do it.

All right. Look at you, all fired up and ready to go. Wist the others around here had that kind of attitude.

Yeah, everyone around here seems kinda down.

Don't worry, I don't plan on getting shot. Again.

With that, we head north, to kill some bugs and scout out Nipton. Immediately, though we run into a traveling merchant headed into the outpost.

He's got some more ammo for the plasma pistol, and he sells...

A GRA plasma pistol. What's the difference? Other than the fact that this plasma pistol is at full condition, it also can be modded. GRA stands for Gun Runner's Arsenal, a DLC pack that added unique weapons, as well as moddable versions of currently existing weapons.

Armed with our new, high durability pistol, we try it out on those ants that Jackson wanted us to clear.

With predictable results.

With the ants clear we continue to head north to Nipton, but along the way, some Jackal gang raiders ambush us, and present me with a problem.

See, I'm only in the fifth update, but I'm running out of ways to say, "And then we reduced them to goo."

Or "ED-E carbonized them." (Thanks EVE visual effects!)

So I'll just post the death animations, and you can figure it out, I hope. Maybe even add your own witty commentary!

Anyway, we clear away the Jackals, and head over to Nipton. Along the way we hear gunshots, just outside of the town, then this guy runs up to us.

I didn't see much of anything, I'm afraid. Any idea why?

No, none at all. We've been traveling together since I picked her up a few days ago, and she's been friendly this whole time. We'd actually been flirting a little when she suddenly pulled a gun out and began yelling at me to hand my caps over. Now that I think of it, though, she laughed when I threw her my money. I think what she really wanted was my lucky charm necklace.

Lucky charm necklace?

Yeah, every once in a while you can find a cap with a blue star on it. They're pretty rare, so I started collecting them. Once I had enough, I made a necklace out of them, since I thought they were lucky.

[Speech 28/50] those caps are bad luck. Why don't you let me hold onto them for you?

[FAILED]Even if what you're saying is true, I think I'll take my chances. This necklace and I have been through a lot, and we're both still kicking. If that's not lucky, what is?

Well, just be more careful in the future, Ok?

I will. That's the last time I pick up a straggler on the road, believe me.

It's worth noting that Tomas and his attacker are fairly evenly matched. Half the time, she wins the fight, and runs up claiming that she's the one who was attacked.

Anyway, we head into town, and someone runs up to us. The welcoming committee, maybe?

Smell that air! Couldn't ya just drink it like booze!

:stare: Are you feeling all right?

Are you kidding me? Never felt better!

Okaaaaay. What sort of lottery did you win?

What lottery? The lottery, that's what lottery! Are you stupid? Only lottery that matters! Oh my God, smell that air!

Wait, that uniform... Are you a powder ganger?

Powder Ganger? What? I mean, yeah, used to be, sure! But not no more! Powder Gang is small-time, man! I'm a winner! I won the motherfucking lottery!

Swanick then runs off for parts unknown.

Well if he's a powder ganger...

Calax posted:

I realize this is probably gonna fall on deaf ears, but please don't kill "me"?

Explanation: Won a fan fic contest (yes really) so my name is used for the guy who shows up out of the blue and has really messed up dialogue assignments

Oh, fine. You win this round, Swanick.

With the only visible inhabitant fading into the distance, we check out the town.

It...

...doesn't...

...look...

...good.

There's a gathering of dudes right outside the town hall. They're dressed in football suits painted red.

I'm guessing that this is Caesar's Legion.

They all pile out of the town hall, and the leader runs up to talk to us.

Meet Vulpes Inculta, an oddly popular character, and our introduction to the Legion. He also has a very fancy hat.

I want you to witness the fate of the town of Nipton, to memorize every detail. And then, when you move on? I want you to teach everyone you meet the lesson that Caesar's Legion taught here, especially any NCR troops you run across.

What "lessons" did you teach here?

Where to begin? That they are weak, and we are strong? This much was known already. But the depths of their moral sickness, their dissolution? Nipton serves as the perfect object lesson.

What exactly happened here? I mean besides killing everybody, that much I understand.

Nipton was a wicked place, debased and corrupt. It served all comers, so long as they paid. Profligate troops, Powder Gangers, men of the Legion such as myself - the people here didn't care. It was a town of whores. For a pittance, the town agreed to lead those it had sheltered into a trap. Only when I sprang it did they realize thy were caught inside it, too.

You captured everyone?

Yes, and herded them to the center of town. I told them their sins, the foremost being disloyalty. I told them that when Legionaries are disloyal, some are punished, the others made to watch. and I announced the lottery. Each clutched his ticket, hoping it would set him free. Each did nothing, even when "loved ones" were dragged away to be killed.

You slaughtered innocent civilians?

Hah! Innocent? Hardly.

They stood and watched, as their fellows were butchered, crucified, and burned, one by one. They stood and hoped their turn would not come. Each cared only for himself.

Your crimes are unforgivable.

As are all crimes. If you feel strongly about it, attack us, and soon you won't feel a thing.

Wait. If you left that one guy alive, why do you need me to tell everyone?

Him? I imagine someone's going to kill him right away. In fact, I'm surprised you didn't.

With that, Vulpes and his posse turn to leave.

Okay, those guys just murdered an entire town, and they're trying to destroy the NCR. I should take them out now.

On the other hand these guys just MURDERED an ENTIRE town. I don't think I should risk it. Better to just get back to Ghost and let her know.

Nipton was attacked by the legion.

Legion this far west? You're loving kidding me. That's not outside the border, they're moving in - and fast. Nipton wasn't the most friendly town, but...

All right - thanks for checking on that, wish it set my mind at ease, now I'm more on edge than ever.

Di you have friends there? I hope not...

In Nipton? Hell no. Town was a shithole, asking to be burned. Just not by Legion. Nobody deserves that. Well, thanks for hoofing it there and back, even if it was bad news. Wish we could spare the troops to go hunting, but... orders are to stay put.

loving Mojave's going to hell, and all I can do is sit here and watch.

Yeah, things here are worse than I thought.

We also take the time to talk to Sgt. Kilborn.

Something else you wanted?

Uh, yeah just so you know, don't go planning any vacations in the Nipton area. Legion's attacked Nipton, burned and killed everyone.

What? There's no way... we're miles from the Colorado. They... they aren't even waiting for the Dam to fall They're already inside the borders...

...we'll never stop them, not at this rate. We're doomed. Thanks for bringing the word - even if the news is bad, I'll let the men know.

Well it's not like morale could get any lower.

Spreading the word of doom to the NCR has given us just enough XP to level again! :toot:

We raise Energy weapons to 90, then leave it there, so we can get the rest of the way to 100 via skill books, to save points. The remaining points go to speech, so we can do things like convince hostages to give us information BEFORE we untie them.

We also pick up gunslinger, to increase our accuracy in VATS with our plasma pistol.

Finally, let's talk to Jackson about those ants we killed.

You mentioned a reward before?

No, I mentioned you might accidentally get supplied, and I meant it. Not allowed to contract mercenaries at the Outpost. Still, a requisition form or two can get lost, and they're not going to come check... so here you go, just between us.

Jackson gives us a service rifle and some ammo. We will end up selling it for caps. Hope they never trace it back here!

Okay, I've lost a bit of time here, so from now on, no more detours or distractions until I catch up to Checkers and his buddies.

Join us next time for our most time consuming detour yet!

Abhorrence fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Apr 12, 2014

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Shooting Vulpes in the face right then and there and coming out on top is a helluva thing, though. It's really this introduction to them that really, really made sure I'd be an NCR patriot and happily blast as many Legion as I came across when I played.

I really like that you totally can kill him there. It's a tough fight, but it's a real relief to have some smug rear end in a top hat villain give his speech, dare me to shoot him, then blast him in the head without any cutscene immunity.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

YAY! I'M ALIVE!

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Awww, didn't go inside the town hall to fight their leftover dogs and booby traps and stuff? Then again, this game is goddamn huge, you probably don't need that.

One request: Better establishing shots of the places you're going to before you go to them. Like a nice shot of the two big statues off in the distance was nice, but if you'd follow it up with a shot of them much closer and bigger to give us a sense of scale, etc… same for the rollercoaster around Primmm.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Night10194 posted:

I really like that you totally can kill him there. It's a tough fight, but it's a real relief to have some smug rear end in a top hat villain give his speech, dare me to shoot him, then blast him in the head without any cutscene immunity.

First time I played the game, I didn't even get the speech! I went the long way around, through the back entrance so to speak. I totally forgot I was still wearing some NCR armor, so once I rounded the bend I was being set upon by Vulpes and his whole squad! After seeing what they did to that town, I honestly thought that's how it was supposed to go :downs:. It was a wonderful fight too. Explosive weapons and severed limbs flying everywhere. That fight was the thing that made this game go from good to great for me.

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

Speedball posted:

Awww, didn't go inside the town hall to fight their leftover dogs and booby traps and stuff? Then again, this game is goddamn huge, you probably don't need that.

One request: Better establishing shots of the places you're going to before you go to them. Like a nice shot of the two big statues off in the distance was nice, but if you'd follow it up with a shot of them much closer and bigger to give us a sense of scale, etc… same for the rollercoaster around Primmm.

Sure, no problem. I'm still getting a feel for what works in terms of image pacing- it's hard to gauge while writing updates because I've been staring at a video of me playing for a few hours, so it's easy to forget what I HAVEN'T shown.

And yes. You can totally kill Vulpes right there. It's the toughest fight in the game so far, but it is 100% doable. In fact, every NPC you meet is killable. All of them. Don't like a quest? You can just kill the questgiver!

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

For completion's sake, here's a shot of the statues close up:

And another one with the courier standing next to it, for scale:

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Night10194 posted:

I had all the bonus starter crap on me when I first got there. "aaaand he just turned his back on me. They're all bunched up, too! Where'd I put that blooper... HERE WE GO"
Satisfying, but not quite enough. Wound up quickloading to outside of town and revisiting the place every now and then with increasingly bigger guns and a fresh quicksave outside.

Calax posted:

YAY! I'M ALIVE!
:3:

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

On a later playthrough I set up a nice wide circle of frag mines. They walk off after the conversation and its entirely possible to follow after them, right to a Legion camp I want to say. Once the trigger one set off, they were all surrounded and got blown to bits. Killing these guys is fun, and worth a good bit of experience and loot if you can pull it off. Just realize the Legion will hate you for it.

Rex Deckard
Jul 15, 2004

Arcade Rabbit posted:

On a later playthrough I set up a nice wide circle of frag mines. They walk off after the conversation and its entirely possible to follow after them, right to a Legion camp I want to say. Once the trigger one set off, they were all surrounded and got blown to bits. Killing these guys is fun, and worth a good bit of experience and loot if you can pull it off. Just realize the Legion will hate you for it.

The only way to play is having the Legion hate you. That monument is great, since it has the look of something made out of scrap metal.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Abhorrence posted:

We're going to be hearing a lot of that.

I got spurs that jingle, jangle, jingle
As I go ridin' merrily along
And they sing, 'Oh ain't ya glad you're single'
And that song ain't so very far from wrong

:shepicide:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Abhorrence posted:

For completion's sake, here's a shot of the statues close up:

And another one with the courier standing next to it, for scale:

Those are great! (Any way we could insert them into the update, or would that mess things up?)

Unload My Head
Oct 2, 2013

Night10194 posted:

Shooting Vulpes in the face right then and there and coming out on top is a helluva thing, though.

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who killed Vulpes and his rear end in a top hat buddies just on principal.

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

Speedball posted:

Those are great! (Any way we could insert them into the update, or would that mess things up?)

I'll see what I can do :)

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Calax posted:

YAY! I'M ALIVE!

Of course you're alive, dude. You won the lottery, and you wouldn't accuse the Legion of being dishonorable, would you?

Rex Deckard
Jul 15, 2004

Killing Oliver is my usual way to handle him, I figure it is better then his eventual fate at the hands of Radscorpions.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Rex Deckard posted:

Killing Oliver is my usual way to handle him, I figure it is better then his eventual fate at the hands of Radscorpions.

Well, there was this nifty difty bug at release... where I rose from the dead every threeish days in the radscorpion nest.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Calax posted:

Well, there was this nifty difty bug at release... where I rose from the dead every threeish days in the radscorpion nest.
Was that connected or unrelated to the bug where you spawn in completely the wrong clothes? I don't think I've had a single playthrough where ol' Ollie doesn't show up wearing underpants and glasses and that's it.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Drakyn posted:

Was that connected or unrelated to the bug where you spawn in completely the wrong clothes? I don't think I've had a single playthrough where ol' Ollie doesn't show up wearing underpants and glasses and that's it.

Speaking of clothes, I'm playing through the game again and that guy in quest came trucking out of Nipton wearing the prison uniform sans vest. Only to run off directly into the salt flat to the west of town and somehow agroing every single radscorpion on the flat. Guy can't catch a break!

Screen Door Slams
Jan 27, 2014

Michael Pineda just couldn't stay healthy...

Ulvirich posted:

I got spurs that jingle, jangle, jingle
As I go ridin' merrily along
And they sing, 'Oh ain't ya glad you're single'
And that song ain't so very far from wrong

:shepicide:

To the town of Agua Fria, rode a stranger one fine day...

(If anyone reading this hates Big Iron you can go directly to hell, that song owns.)

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Right around here is where I kept running into this weird thing where the game would decide to spawn a dead Giant Radscorpion like as high up as the game engine went and drop it to the ground, scaring the hell out of me on multiple occasions.

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

Monkey Fracas posted:

Right around here is where I kept running into this weird thing where the game would decide to spawn a dead Giant Radscorpion like as high up as the game engine went and drop it to the ground, scaring the hell out of me on multiple occasions.

That's amazing. How long did that go for?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Screen Door Slams posted:

(If anyone reading this hates Big Iron you can go directly to hell, that song owns.)

If you can still think that after playing through F:NV where it is on every single station, my cowboy hat's off to you.
Granted, it's not as bad as that one song that comprises the entire playlist of the OWB DLC. You know the one. Why don't you dooooooooooooooooooooooo right?
I get a rash whenever I hear that nowadays.

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
I think one of the first mods I ever got for this game was custom radio stations and the ability to insert my own songs in the radio playlist. Made walking around for days on end much more pleasant.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Screen Door Slams posted:

Especially when it comes on right as you're pulling out the big iron you had on your hip to do a little business to the Legion, or Deathclaws, or anything, really.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Abhorrence posted:

That's amazing. How long did that go for?

Probably like every time I was around the area for that save file I saw the thing fall out of the sky and flop around for a bit. I have no idea what caused this or how to replicate it- dunno if it fixed itself or not later on because it happened in such an early-game area.

Wasn't there a bug that made Big Iron like 4x more likely to play or something?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Monkey Fracas posted:

Wasn't there a bug that made Big Iron like 4x more likely to play or something?

Big Iron played double the amount of a regular song on Radio New Vegas due to a bug, and was one of the four songs available on multiple radio stations - New Vegas, Mojave Music and Black Mountain all played it, It's A Sin To Tell A Lie, Johnny Guitar and Heartaches By The Number. If you ask somebody what song they remember most from New Vegas, odds are it's one of those four.

Although Jingle, Jangle, Jingle gives those four a run for their money.

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Apr 10, 2014

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
Ugh, yeah, I... strongly dislike those songs. The same goes for all of Fallout's period music, really. It does fit nicely with the whole Old West/50s Kitsch aesthetic the games have going... but then I've never been a fan of that aesthetic either. :ssh:

I mean I get the joke - I see what they did there - but for me it's a bit too thin to stretch across an entire game, let alone what is it... six games now?

Anyway, the period music; it's not too bad in Fallout 3 at least, since you can just not listen to the radio - which has the added bonus of not having to listen to Three-Dog. Also the in-world radios could be switched off, which for me turned into a kind of mini-game upon entering a new cell with one: how quickly can I get to and turn off the bloody radio while dodging whatever dangers are in this place?

In Fallout New Vegas however, there are a number of places - casinos and whatnot - with music playing that you can't switch off. It wasn't too long before I dropped in some mp3s/oggs of music that I do like to replace the period stuff. Prior to that I found myself spending as little time as possible in those locations simply because the music was driving me crazy.

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

Antistar01 posted:

Ugh, yeah, I... strongly dislike those songs. The same goes for all of Fallout's period music, really. It does fit nicely with the whole Old West/50s Kitsch aesthetic the games have going... but then I've never been a fan of that aesthetic either. :ssh:

I mean I get the joke - I see what they did there - but for me it's a bit too thin to stretch across an entire game, let alone what is it... six games now?

Anyway, the period music; it's not too bad in Fallout 3 at least, since you can just not listen to the radio - which has the added bonus of not having to listen to Three-Dog. Also the in-world radios could be switched off, which for me turned into a kind of mini-game upon entering a new cell with one: how quickly can I get to and turn off the bloody radio while dodging whatever dangers are in this place?

In Fallout New Vegas however, there are a number of places - casinos and whatnot - with music playing that you can't switch off. It wasn't too long before I dropped in some mp3s/oggs of music that I do like to replace the period stuff. Prior to that I found myself spending as little time as possible in those locations simply because the music was driving me crazy.

There's also at least one place in the game where turning off a jukebox will initiate combat.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Antistar01 posted:

which has the added bonus of not having to listen to Three-Dog.

I once played as the biggest nice guy paladin hero ever in Fallout 3, before New Vegas came along and showed me what Fallout 3 really should've been (I can never go back). Even then, the second I found him, I shot Three Dog right in the face for being the worst character ever.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Heartaches by the Number is awesome and I will fight anyone who says otherwise.

And Mr. New Vegas is a significant improvement over Three Dog. Because Mr. New Vegas doesn't judge.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Funky Valentine posted:

Heartaches by the Number is awesome and I will fight anyone who says otherwise.

And Mr. New Vegas is a significant improvement over Three Dog. Because Mr. New Vegas doesn't judge.

How can he? He loves you. :swoon:

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

OAquinas posted:

How can he? He loves you. :swoon:

He called me beautiful!!! And that I'm just as beautiful as the day we met!!!

Three Dog just yells at me when I slaughter some rear end in a top hat ghouls...

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Well poo poo, I always sang along to Big Iron. Only I just found out it isn't called Pig Iron.

El Perkele
Nov 7, 2002

I HAVE SHIT OPINIONS ON STAR WARS MOVIES!!!

I can't even call the right one bad.
Fallout 3 radio just felt better. It felt like it had more songs, Three Dog was annoying but kinda likeable charicature, and it had Dashing and Argyle! FO3 radio felt like an elemental part of the game and the plot.

F:NV, on the other hand, has Big Iron / Johnny Guitar / Heartache by the Numbers and some completely detached dude mumbling about stuff. They have a couple of good songs, but overall the radio is just background noise and doesn't feature nearly as prominently in building the game experience. F:NV is by far the superior game to FO3, but they really dropped it with the radio. A drat shame, a more thoughtful and complex radio would have brought even more personal depth to NV's otherwise weirdly detached world.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

I have never bothered with the radio in either game and always just turn it off if there's an external one in the area.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Radio felt like a big part of the atmosphere to me in NV so I just kept it on basically all the time. I liked the music and kinda phased back and forth from not paying attention to it to listening to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
There was a mod that added a ton of old western and cowboy songs to the radio and it was awesome.

• Locked thread