Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Someone can correct me, however I think the likely reason is because the game is rather incomplete and was rushed out. Obsidian did what they could though and made one hell of a memorable game with what they got.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks for the accompanying visual aid!

This is a huge and sprawling game, rushed or not - with all the stuff in there it's not unreasonable that some unintended files would make their way into there too. Or they discovered a bug just before ship where removing them irreversibly wrecked the game, who knows!

Unload My Head
Oct 2, 2013
Think about how many screwed up voice samples their were in Oblivion (actor flubs, every single beggar being voiced by two people, ect.) and that was a game in development for four years. Mistakes get made in a game this large.

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

A love that crushes like a mace.
Update 7: One For My Baby

Alright! After our longer-than expected detour, we have finally shot some ghouls into space, or some poo poo. Now, why were we doing that again?

Oh right, this jerk.

The ghouls are no longer at REPCONN.

Really? Unbelievable, man! I knew that wasn't going to be easy. But I had a good feeling about you. You look like you been through a lot.

Well, I've been through WHAT YOU JUST PUT ME THROUGH, does that count? Now, about the man I'm looking for...

Okay, I'll tell you everything I know, like I promised.

Where is Boulder City?

It's straight up Route 93 from here. Just keep following road north.

Any idea why they headed that way?

No clue. I know Benny hadn't paid up yet. Maybe that was where they were supposed to get square.

That's all I needed to know.

Hope that helps. I owed you.

And now the town of Novac loves us! :toot:

Well with our destination in mind, we.... wasn't there something else we promised to do?

Oh, right. Let's get on that. We'll start by questioning the townspeople about Boone's wife.

What do you know about Boone's wife?

Had a look on her face like she'd smelled something sour. But far as I can remember, the gift shop smelled fine. Well... fine as it always does.

Okay, that didn't help much. Let's ask other people. Like Dusty McBride and his wife.

What did you know about Boone's wife?

Well to be honest with you, I don't really know them two as well as I might.

Alright, let's ask his wife.

They seemed happy together. I really oughtta to get to know them better. They're probably nice folk.

You know his wife was kidnapped, right?

Oh, no, that's terrible! Who did it?

That's what I'm trying to figure out. But I'm already so hard up for leads, I'm probably going to end up asking that No-Bark guy for help. Oh, speaking of which, how did No-bark get his name?

I'm not sure who started it. It wasn't a very nice name, but he took to calling himself by it, so we all had to. I don't even remember what his real name is. Anyway, I think it comes from that expression that people say when you're crazy - that not all of your dogs are barking. Poor No-Bark.

Aww. :smith:

Well, let's go see what No-bark has to say.

What do you know about the abduction of Boone's wife?

Seen it all. Seen shadowy folk come to his room and leave again in the middle of the night. Thought one might've gone in the lobby, too, for a spell. Could be that person went in to get something. Or use the john maybe. Mighty interesting either way, you ask me.

I thought it was cannibals, come to eat us all for sure, so I kept out of sight. But now I know better.

Who was it?

They covet our ladyfolk's long hair for wigs, it's said, being either bald or balding themselves.

The lobby, huh?

On the way to the lobby, someone runs up to us.

You thought I was a raider? A raider in the middle of a town?

Don't suppose you'd care to trade? I'm missing a few essentials and- oh, screw this. Lying just ain't in my nature. I'll tell it to you straight. I've been following you for a good bit now.

Why were you following me? This is really creepy.

It started off innocently enough. I was traveling, as I often do, and happened to observe you picking up one of those blue-star caps.

That was back in Goodsprings, dude. How long have you been following me? :stare:

Goodsprings. Those caps with the blue star on them, the tale goes, are the key to that treasure. They're called Sunset Sarsaparilla Stars.

Okay, that's great. Don't talk to me again. And stop loving following me.

With that creepy interjection out of the way, we investigate the lobby, and talk to Jeannie May.

What's wrong with Boone?

I know he thinks she was kidnapped, but I'm not so sure she didn't just run off on her own. You could tell she was thinking about it ever since they arrived.

What can you tell me about Boone's wife?

She never did take to living here. She liked the big lights and fast living of New Vegas. I got the feeling she was trying to get Boone to leave with her, but I guess she got tired of waiting.

Hmm. Jeannie is the only one trying to push a "She wasn't kidnapped" angle, and No-Bark said that he saw shadowy figures in the lobby...

Jeannie has a safe here in the lobby, but it's locked, and we can't pick it with our skill level. However...

Jeannie is pretty easy to pickpocket.

Inside the safe we find various things, but the most important thing here is the "Bill of Sale."

Bill of Sale posted:

We, the representatives of the Consul Officiorum, have this day bargained and purchased from Jeannie May Crawford of the township of Novac the exclusive rights to ownership and sale of the slave Carla Boone for the sum of one thousand bottle caps, and those of her unborn child for the sum of five hundred bottle caps, the receipt whereof is hereby acknowledged. We warrant the slave and her young to be sound, healthy, and slaves for life. We covenant with the said, Jeannie May Crawford, that we have full power to bargain and sell said slave and her offspring. Payment of an additional five hundred bottle caps will be due pending successful maturation of the fetus, the claim to which shall be guaranteed by possession of this document.

M. Scribonius Libo Drusus et al.

Administrators of M. Licinius Crassus, Consul Officiorum ab Famulatus

:aaaaa: Welp, mystery solved, I guess. Would have never suspected Jeannie did it. She was so nice! Wait a minute....

No Bark was right!

Well now, all that's left to do for Boone's quest is to lure Jeannie may out front. Boone, however, is the nighttime sniper, so we'll have to wait until night to complete this tale of revenge. In the meantime, though, let's head over to Boulder City and catch the guys who attacked us!

Along the way, we notice a new radio signal on our Pip-Boy.

What's Black Mountain Radio, I wonder...?

Welcome back, Utobitha! I have with me Best Friend Tabitha, who has something important she'd like to share!

Well, Rhonda, I'm a little concerned about the number of humans that keep coming to Black Mountain!

Humans? Here?! Oh, why do you think they do that?

Honestly, I think they're a little jealous of the ideal society we've built here, Rhonda! And I can't blame them! We have everything we need here - food, shelter, safety, entertainment! It really is a paradise!

There's no arguing with the truth, is there?

But humans need to be aware that Black Mountain is no place for them! In fact, it's even dangerous for them here!

*gasp* Why is that?!

First of all, there's the radiation! That warm peaceful glow that we all know and love doesn't have the same effect on humans! You see, humans are weak, and have an inherent defect that causes them to fall apart when exposed to radiation!

That sounds terrible! How do they stand it? Radiation's, like, everywhere!

I know! They truly have a hard lot in life, which may explain why they're so irritable all the time!

I don't know about you, Utobitha, but my eyes have really been opened! We'll be back after some music!

Okay, so a comedy show or something?

We head North up the road to Boulder City, but some Legionaries suddenly come rushing up to us.

I knew I shouldn't have hit Vilified with the Legion...

The Legionary assassins are a consequence of getting a negative reputation with Caesar's Legion. Every few days that we're disliked by the Legion, a hit squad will get dispatched and follow us until they catch us and engage. Later in the game this will be a nice supply of Experience points, as well as gear we can sell for caps. Right now, though, they are kind of a serious threat to us.

I'm not saying they're going to win, but they won't exactly go down easy.

After reducing our would-be assassins to their constituent parts, we continue down the road.

There are some minor bandits along the road, but nothing nearly as tough as the Legionary Assassins. This guy does have some nice armor, so we take it.

As sunlight begins to fade, we see a settlement in the distance.

Please tell me this is Boulder City.

It is, in fact, not Boulder City. There is a young boy with a collection of various junk down under the overpass. Let's go talk to him.

Welcome to the Foreshadowing Corner, by the way.

Where are your parents, kid? Are you here all alone?

I don't have a mama or papa anymore. I see them sometimes when I take off my medicine, but they can't stay. I'm pretty used to being on my own.

I'd like to see what you have for sale.

Oh, I don't sell things, ma'am. I sell thoughts.

You sell *thoughts*?

I can take off my medicine and do some thinking. People say it's real interesting. I don't know, because I never hear it. Some people say it's a gift. Other people say that it's the kind of thinking anyone could do if they watched more than they talked. I don't know which is true. I see a lot, I think a lot. There's a lot to hear through the 188, too, that maybe accounts for the thinking.

What is your "medicine" and how do you take it off?

This thing on my head is headache medicine. It works real good, except I can't think when it's on. Really think, I mean.

Aww. Poor kid. I'll pay 100 caps to hear your thoughts.

Great! What do you want me to think about? I can think about You, Here... or Everywhere. What do you want?

Do your thinking about me.

Okay. Let me take off my medicine...

You're playing the hand you've been dealt, but you don't let it rest, you shuffle and stack, and a gamble... a gamble that may pay off? But how?

I like the sound of "Gamble that may pay off"!

Forecast: Rapidly changing conditions.

A lot of thinking - most of it in your face, it's almost shouting at me. Sorry if I said anything weird.

Here's another 100 caps. I want to hear your thoughts again. Let's do Here, this time.

I need to take off my medicine.

With regret comes a girl... smiling sad, brown robe, name Veronica, half here. Wraps her hand her heart up like a pack in the pack, a key, some say.

Forecast: Cloudy, with a chance of friendship.

Ouch. Thinking small only hurts a little, but it's a sharp pain.

Let's round it out with Everywhere.

Okay, The Bull and the Bear are the NCR and the Legion Go NCR!, but who's the "light from Vegas"?

All lose in different ways, a dam of corpses, towns of corpses, scattered across the sand. But whose, in what shares? Even the dealer doesn't know.

Forecast: A rain of blood will flood the desert and not purify it.

Yikes.

Bleh. Thinking about Everywhere always makes me feel a little sick.

Any other thoughts I can pay you for?

Sorry, ma'am. All that thinking has made my head hurt. I don't think I'll be doing any thinking for a long time.

:smith: Take care of yourself, kid.

With our big dose of foreshadowing out of the way, we head up to the top of the overpass and talk to the girl standing in plain brown robes.

The grave.

Huh. Well, in that case, I take it back. You look pretty good, given the circumstances. Well, welcome then. I'm Veronica. I live in a hole in the ground.

Okay, I know you're setting me up for something, but, You live in a hole in the ground?

Well, a bunker, if you want to get technical. I think it sounds more interesting my way. But I'm not there much anymore. I'm usually out here picking up food and supplies for my family. Whatever they need.

So you just leave your family in the bunker?

Yeah, I'm not worried. They can handle themselves. But somebody has to get the groceries, know what I mean? And actually these days I think they'd rather have me out here anyway. But that's a whole other story. So listen, can I ask you something on the level?

Go ahead.

I had a run in with this group calling themselves the Brotherhood of Steel. Pretty strange bunch. Do you know anything about them?

[Intelligence 6]They're usually harmless unless you use advanced technology around them. Like my plasma rifle here.

Well that shouldn't be a problem for me. I can't afford anything like that. Hey, so where are you headed, anyway?

The Strip.

Yes, but the plan is to do it in a non-gambling way.

I'll be honest. You're the first person I've run across out here that looks like she can really handle herself. There are places I've never been to that'd be too dangerous for just me. What do you think? Maybe we could travel together, help each other out?

You don't look like much. What do you bring to the table?

Heh. Good. That's the look I was going for. Trust me on this one, though. You'll be glad you brought me along. If I turn out to be a burden, we can part ways at any time. No hard feelings.

Where are you hoping to go?

Oh, nowhere in particular, really. Just hoping to see more of the world. Looking for a fresh perspective. I want to see how different groups have adapted to survive in the Mojave. See if there's something I can learn from.

Don't you have a family to feed?

Cloudy with a chance of friendship, huh? Okay, let's travel together.

Now you're talking. One thing you should know, first, though. I asked you about the Brotherhood because I'm one of them.

:colbert:

I know, I know. But I had to know how you'd react when I told you. We've made a lot of enemies. You still okay bringing me along?

Actually, I'm more comfortable now that I know you've had some training. But I'm not giving up any of my fancy guns, you hear?

I'm great at punching people. I'm not gonna lie. It's a gift.

And now we have our first human companion of the game! Veronica is voiced by Felicia Day, best known from the web series "The Guild". Veronica punches people. She punches them hard. She can also act as a mobile workbench, whenever we need to do some crafting. She also brings her own form of Whedonesque humor with her, too.

So, where we headed? The Strip?

Down to Novac, actually. I need to lure the innkeeper there out in front of the town so that the sniper can kill her for selling his wife into slavery.

This is either the best decision I've ever made, or the worst. Not sure yet.

Returning to Novac, we rouse Jeannie May from her slumber as she sleeps.

Come with me. There's something you should see, in front of the dinosaur. Everything will be all right. This is not a trap.

Okay, if that's what you think.

Jeannie is nice, or foolish, enough to follow us right out in front of the dinosaur.

What did you want me to see?

Fashion question:

Do you think this hat looks good on me?

Well, I-

Well, that takes care of that.

Wow. You guys don't mess around.

Let's go talk to Boone.

I found the bill of sale.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised. It'd be like them to keep paperwork. Here. This is all I can give. I think our dealings are done here.

Boone gives us some caps and the 1st Recon Beret, which is one of the best pieces of headgear in the game.

What will you do after this?

I don't know. I won't be staying, I know that. Don't see much point in anything right now, except hunting legionaries. Maybe I'll wander, like you.

At this point, we have the option to recruit Boone as a companion, but that slot is currently filled by Veronica, so let's let her get a little more time in the spotlight before we come back for Boone.

Also, we leveled up!

We continue raising speech...

And we pick up Strong Back, a nice little perk which helps with that pesky weight limit. It will also come in handy for one of the DLCs, too!

Join us next time where we FINALLY catch up to some of the people who attacked us!

BONUS

If your intelligence is particularly low, when Veronica asks you if you've ever encountered the Brotherhood of Steel, you can tell her...

You can also tell Veronica that you "know enough" about the Brotherhood to "shoot them on sight", and you will be locked out of obtaining her as a companion!

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

You can skip the whole ghoul sidequest if you either pickpocket or kill Manny since he has an audiolog on him letting you know where Benny went too! Once again, this game can progress if you kill anyone.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

gently caress Boone's personal quest btw. The only follower quest where you can get locked out that's not caused by a glitch.

Oh, and for those of you at home wondering what Black Mountain radio actually sounds like, put Randy Savage and Starscream in a room together. That's it.

MetalixK
Aug 12, 2013
And now it's time for another installment of No-Bark Knows Everything. Sponsored by Black Mountain Radio. Black Mountain! Do NOT belittle a Super Mutant for taking the bunny slope.

So, our Best Friend Abhorrence already pointed out how No-Bark gives the best advice as to where one should look to find the person who sold out Boone's wife, so I'll not be getting into that one today. Instead, I'll bring up one I forgot to mention last time.

When first asked about the REPCONN center, No-Bark scoffs at the idea of ghouls being responsible, and instead theorizes that it's actually commie ghosts that want to paint Marx's face on the moon. While he was off with the communist bit, there WERE ghosts of a type of there. Nightkin Super Mutants who never turn off their stealth boys, who many a player who is new to the series would probably mistake for a ghost of some type. Heaven knows the amount of energy weapons Bright's followers had would make one think SOMETHING spooky was up.

As an aside, No-Bark has actually mentioned an enemy type that we'll be seeing at some point. Those of you in the know, keep it down. Let's let the new guys have their surprise.

Now for one little bit of bonus trivia. Boone is well regarded as one of the best companions, at the very least he's a fan favorite. But di you know his voice actor worked in this series before? It's true! His voice actor, one Jason Marsden, was also the voice of Myron from Fallout 2.

Yes, one of the fan favorites from New Vegas was voiced by the same guy who voiced one of the most hated characters of the series. As Dean Martin once said, "Ain't That a Kick in the Head"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaj6YGOLskQ

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Abhorrence posted:

That was back in Goodsprings, dude. How long have you been following me? :stare:

Goodsprings.
Some of these bits of dialogue filler are pretty great.

quote:

What do you bring to the table?
I can no longer see or hear this line without imagining it being in response to a Psychonauts test post in the Sandcastle.

http://lpix.org/1661294/donkdonk.gif
Heh!

Without getting into any who's the best companion, there is a certain magic to hearing a KLUNK followed by a head or torso flying through your view.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Speedball posted:

You can skip the whole ghoul sidequest if you either pickpocket or kill Manny since he has an audiolog on him letting you know where Benny went too! Once again, this game can progress if you kill anyone.

Not exactly progression, but killing the Star Bottle Cap Guy will net you some more of said caps. I think the number is random, i've seen as little as 2 and as many as 6 on him before. Alternatively you can pickpocket him for them. This is also the latest I've seen him appear. Usually I see him around the Powder Ganger's place. It really does sort of make him come across as a creep, huh? And finally, I'd like to second Boone Hat as best hat. Especially if you're going for a High Luck/Crit run.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Ok I'm curious now but what happens if you take Boone (Best Companion) and then join the Legion? Does he just say "gently caress you" and run away?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Boone's incredibly temperamental when it comes to factions. He'll ditch you when you start straying from the NCR path. Go Legion path and I think he turns hostile.

He also immediately starts killing any Legionnaire he sees.

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Ok I'm curious now but what happens if you take Boone (Best Companion) and then join the Legion? Does he just say "gently caress you" and run away?

As long as you stay friendly to the NCR, you and Boone will be fine. If you start buddying up to the Legion, or killing NCR dudes, Boone will ditch you real fast.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Funky Valentine posted:

He also immediately starts killing any Legionnaire he sees.

Well, that's just what any reasonable person would do.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Is there any way to increase the number of companions you can have, mod or otherwise? It's been ages since I last played this game.

Never knew about the kid at 188 Trading Post. Can't wait to see how the rest of this LP plays out!

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Is there any way to increase the number of companions you can have, mod or otherwise? It's been ages since I last played this game.

Never knew about the kid at 188 Trading Post. Can't wait to see how the rest of this LP plays out!

There are "unlimited companions" mods, but they are kinda buggy from what I hear. I also did not know about the Forecaster until midway through the LP, when one of my friends told me about him.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Abhorrence posted:

There are "unlimited companions" mods, but they are kinda buggy from what I hear.

I didn't have a problem when I used one, but then again I only used it so that I could have two human companions instead of one human and one non-human - when I rolled a female Courier, I really wanted to get both Veronica and Cass so I could roam the Wasteland doing some Charlie's Angels poo poo. But with more laser weaponry.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Arcade Rabbit posted:

Not exactly progression, but killing the Star Bottle Cap Guy will net you some more of said caps.

Also the guy has relatively rare trader hat and armor. Gives bonuses to barter, +10 altogether if I remember correctly. Bastard also likes to sneak up and startle the poo poo out of me what with the camera lock into place during speeches.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

TheMcD posted:

I didn't have a problem when I used one, but then again I only used it so that I could have two human companions instead of one human and one non-human - when I rolled a female Courier, I really wanted to get both Veronica and Cass so I could roam the Wasteland doing some Charlie's Angels poo poo. But with more laser weaponry.

I think you've found an idea for the next NV LP.

Abhorrence posted:

There are "unlimited companions" mods, but they are kinda buggy from what I hear. I also did not know about the Forecaster until midway through the LP, when one of my friends told me about him.

How stable are the mods you use and do they fix any issues in the main quest line? I had a pretty nasty bug near the end that would always crash my game, and I believe bugged out some of my quests. I spent so much time in it I couldn't bring myself to start over :cripes:

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
:stare:

This a
RobCo mod is the greatest companion mod and now my dreams of being a mad scientist can come to pass. Thank you for inspiring me to take this game up again.

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

Episode 8: They Went That-A-Way

Welcome back.Last time, we had just picked up a new friend, and helped a bitter sniper take revenge on an old lady! But that doesn't matter, because now we are headed to Boulder City, the last known location of our attackers!

Boulder City has seen better days.

A soldier is reading a memorial. He is obviously in solemn repose. Let's talk to him!

What is this memorial?

It commemorates the Battle of Hoover Dam. The rangers lured the best of Caesar's Legion into Boulder City, then blew the whole town up. The NCR still lost a bunch of troops in the fighting, though. My older brother sacrificed himself so they could evacuate some of the wounded.

I'm sorry to hear that. Where are you normally stationed?

Don't worry about it. Camp McCarran, but I'm on leave at the moment- heading back to California to see my folks. I'm supposed to join up with a caravan that's heading that way up at the 188, but they're not due to arrive for awhile yet.

Oh. Watch out. Roads aren't as safe as they used to be.

I will, thanks.

Here's the inscription on the monument.

Upon reaching the entrance to the city proper, this NCR officer stops us.

What's going on with the Great Khans? Is there an rear end in a top hat in a checkered suit in there too? Because if there is, I want to help you vaporize him.

One of my patrols was on its way back from Novac when it came under fire from the Great Khans. They radioed for reinforcements, but instead of waiting for us, they chased the Khans into the ruins where they were caught in a crossfire. No deaths, but not all of the squad got out. The Khans have Private Ackerman and Private Gilbert as hostages.

The Great Khans might have something of mine - a Platnum Chip.

Once the Great Khans have been killed or captured, you're welcome to retrieve any property they've taken from you.

I may be able to negotiate a deal with the Great Khans.

Normally, I'd turn you down since I have no idea who you are, but considering that the hostages are as good as dead when we attack... All right, I'm going to give you a chance to talk to the Great Khans. Their leader is a man named Jessup. If we hear shooting, we'll be coming in, but it'll probably be too late for you.

Don't worry about me, I can handle myself in a fight.Besides, I'm going to have Veronica go in first.

Hey!

Here's the building where the Khans are squatting in.

And there's where they have the hostages. Let's head inside and talk to the leader.

Oh, look, one of the guys who attacked us! It only took 8 updates!

I'm a ghost, here to haunt you. Oooooh...

Alright, quit loving around. You survived and you tracked us down. What now?

Where's the Platinum Chip?

Don't have it. Benny stole it, right before he stabbed us in the back. He's probably back at the Strip by now, laughing at me.

I want some more answers.

Yeah? On what?

What can you tell me about Benny?

I should have known that the caps were too good to be true, but there was still no way I could pass up the chance.

What do you know about the Platinum Chip?

Just a big, fancy poker chip as far as I know. Don't know why anyone would make one out of platinum, though.

Why did Benny betray you?

He's a snake, that's why. He owed us the rest of the pay for the job, so maybe he didn't want to pay up.

So he's an rear end in a top hat and a thief. Knew that much already.Let's talk about settling things between you and the NCR.

What's to negotiate? The NCR backs off, we walk out of here, nobody gets hurt.

[Speech 45] Free the hostages now, and I'll have the NCR escort you out of their territory.

[SUCCEEDED] I can't believe I'm doing this, but all right, the hostages can go. The NCR had better keep their end of the deal, though. Here's a souvenir for you. It's Benny's lighter. Shove it up his rear end when you catch up with him.

Goodbye.

Yeah, Go on.

That was fast. Catching up to the gang in Boulder City has given us enough XP to level up again! :toot:

Our skill points go into Speech until 88 skill, which is enough to hit max from 3 skill books, as well as enough to pass almost every speech check we're going to encounter.

For perks we pick up Commando, which helps us shoot straight with our plasma rifle.

Jessup keeps his part of the bargain and releases the hostages as we leave. Let's go report the fruits of our masterful negotiation back to Lt. Monroe!

The Great Khans let the hostages go in exchange for their freedom. Don't go trampling all over my crediblity, buster.

My hands are tied. I can't go against orders, can I?

If you have any integrity, then you'll honor the deal.

You're right. The Great Khans are free to go.

Our strong moral stance makes the NCR like us!

And showing mercy to the Great Khans has made them like us too!

This, by the way, is the companion wheel. It lets you give most of the basic companion commands (stay close, wait here, etc) without having to dive through a bunch of menus to get to it. Right now, though, we're going to use it to chat up Veronica.

What's up?

You ever hear of a guy called Benny?

Sure, he's one of the hotel managers on the Strip. He comes up in the news now and then. Him and the other Chairmen run the Tops. It's one of the nicer hotels, or so I hear. Elder McNamara wouldn't shell out for a passport for me, so I've actually never been to the Strip. Why do people get so cheap when they get old?

I duuno. I plan to stay young forever. What do you think of the NCR?

I'm worried they'll be the death of the Brotherhood. They take what they want. We defend our interests to the death. But there's a handful of us and tens or hundreds of thousands of them. So it's not going to end well. Last time we clashed we lost a lot of people. Retreated to our bunker. Now we're afraid to even move around during the day.

Well, that explains why I haven't seen any trace of them. Besides you, of course.

Well, now we have a new destination, The Strip! Also by this point it is a straight shot with no Cazadores or Deathclaws or other unpleasant mosnters in our way. Let's go!

Naturally, Victor is hiding out behind that building.

How did you get here?

Just rolling along my spurs. Looks like I just might make it to New Vegas after all.

You see what happened in there?

Yep. Guess it's just down to you and fancy-pants. I wouldn't worry about him - he looked all hat and no cattle if you ask me.

It's good to see you again, Victor.

Yup, but this is getting a might embarrassing - people are going to start to talk.

Did you see Benny come this way?

Fancy-pants? No, I ain't seen hide-nor-hair of him since the tussle in Goodsprings. I'm sure he ran back to the soft-living of New Vegas, 'though.

Goodbye.

One of the neat things about New Vegas is that Vegas is visible from most of the map. That tower shaped like a roulette spinner is the Lucky 38, and we can see it from where we are, despite being about a quarter of the map away. It serves as a nice visual landmark.

That being said, we're going to take a slight detour to the west of our main path.

Where are we going? I thought you said that we were going to the Strip?

This way. I smell... science. And rocket fuel. Mostly science, though.

REPCONN headquarters! This truly is a place of science!

It even has robot minions! Let's head inside.

This guy was apparently waiting for us here, as he begins his conversation the instant we enter. He's normally supposed to run up to you after you hit accepted with NCR. Why is he in here? :iiam:

:clint:: You're not alone out here - the NCR has your back. Stay safe and good hunting.

He hands us a NCR two-way radio. We can use it to call for back up if we're in an area that the NCR can deploy to. Honestly, the most use I've ever gotten out of this thing was to summon an NCR ranger, then ditch him so he gets killed by enemies, so I can loot his stuff without attacking him (and getting an NCR rep hit).

Anyway, there are a bunch of raider-looking types all lying dead in front of a locked door.

The game calls these guys Fiends. I wonder if we'll meet any more?

Anyway, this nice robot offers to give us a tour! We don't have the science or lockpicking skills to open the door that the Fiends were trying to get into, so let's take him up on his offer!

I'd like a tour of the museum.

Excellent, excellent! Please be patient, the tour will begin in just a moment.

The poor tour guide looks like he's seen better days. :smith:

The tour guide shows us some of the displays in the museum.

Like this display of extreme environmental responsibility.

At the end of the tour, the guide lets us into the planetarium.

There's also a side room, which contains a passkey. This will let us into the door that all the Fiends died trying to get into.

Behind the door are some stairs leading to the second level, but they're guarded by a security guard. That security pass we picked up lets us pass unchallenged, though.

On the table here, we find a skill book for energy weapons, as well as a locked terminal.

Hacking is fairly easy. You just have to play a modified version of Mastermind to guess which word in the word bank is the target word.

See? that was easy. It's worth noting that the gibberish that's on one line and surrounded by brackets or parentheses will either eliminate duds or give you more guesses. Let's see what bounty our hacking skills have given us.

...boring intra office communication between two employees of a company that hasn't existed for 200+ years. Oh well.

The second floor is swarming with robots. If we didn't have that pass key, they would be a big pain. There's not much else of interest, besides a door that we lack the skill to lockpick. Let's head up to the third floor.

But I have this ID card! I'm uh.... whoever the card says I am!

I don't think whoever that was had access to this floor. You need to know the executive password.

Well, I don't know what that could be! What are we supposed to do?

I don't know. You want to just guess something?

This is the longest shot I have ever taken, but...
Uh...

[Luck 7] Ice Cream?

:aaaaa:

Now I see why you're headed for Vegas!

Now that our extreme luck has given us access to the third floor, let's look around.

We immediately find two dead Brotherhood of Steel Paladins, buried underneath a collapsed ceiling.

Matiz! Lander! :smith:

One of them has his orders on him.

Mission Statement XV-56 posted:

Mission Code: XV-56
Temporary Password: Lives to fight another day

Summary: Paladins Matiz and Lander, you are to survey the ruins at coordinates 0.004, 9.265, search for the components we need, and retrieve what you can. As a secondary objective, compile a list of additional items at the site for future retrieval.

McNamara

We help ourselves to their power armor and laser guns. I hope Veronica doesn't mind.

Nearby, there's a metal briefcase which contains a key to that locked door on the second floor.

We head back to that door...

We head down a level, through a hole in the floor and we find...

...the entire reason we came to REPCONN. This unique plasma rifle is completely amazing, and is a large upgrade in just about every category than our current best weapon, a generic plasma rifle. As a bonus, it even consumes ammo at a reduced rate. (1 microfusion cell per shot, compared to 2)

The same room contains another energy weapons skill book, as well as 100+ Microfusion cells.

With our new super-weapon, there's nothing more we need from REPCONN. Let's continue heading for the Strip. Just one little problem...

:hist101:: The Kaisar has marked you for death... and the Legion obeys. Ready yourself for battle.

The assassins are back, and they have even better weapons this time.

Then again, so do we. Not pictured: Veronica literally punching a man's head off.

We easily dispatch the assassins, and take their gear, which we can sell for a ton of caps. But where will we find a store with a large enough supply of caps?

Maybe we'll find one closer to Vegas.

There we go. This is the Gun Runners' base. The Gun Runners are a gunsmithing factory, with an attached shop for selling their goods. While we prefer the sizzle of ionized air to the sharp report of a gunshot, The Gun runners do serve one very useful purpose.

The Vendortron they have working for them has a very large cap limit. Right now he can give us up to 2000 caps for the stuff we sell. Most of the time, the maximum amount of caps he has is 4000, or even 8000. We sell off what gear we can to him, and press onward to Vegas.

...right after we check this place out.

If you've got the caps, I've also go several implants available to enhance your physical attributes.

Well, I did just clean out the Gun Runners. What kind of implants do you have available?

I have several basic implants available that can enhance your physical abilities - make you faster, smarter, stronger, that sort of thing. I've also got two much more expensive implants. One's a sub-dermal implant that will make you more resistant to damage. The other implant induces a mild regenerative effect. Your wounds will practically heal before your eyes.

The basic implants will give us +1 to a SPECIAL stat of our choice. The "subdermal implant" increases our DT. The "regenerative effect" lets us passively regenerate health very, and I mean VERY, slowly. It is really not worth it at all.

I want to buy an implant.

One other thing I forgot to mention - your body may be able to handle only a limited number of implants. The healthier you are, the more implants I'll be able to give you. Now, what surgery are you considering?

What the good doctor means is that we can only get implants up to our Endurance level.

I'd like to have greater strength.

I can implant the Hypertrophy accelerator for 4,000 caps. It will boost your adrenal glands and quickly increase your muscle mass.

Here's the caps.

Have a seat in the Auto-Doc. This will take a few hours.

The screen fades to black, and when we wake up, our Strength stat is now 8!

Sweet! Would it be socially improper to rip my shirt off and flex my muscles?

Yes.

Well, in that case... I want to buy another implant.

All right, let me just do a quick test to make sure your body can handle another implant... All right, you're healthy enough to handle another one. Which surgery are you considering?

I want to be more intelligent.

:smug:

Can you make me luckier?

If I implant the Probability Calculator in your frontal lobe, you'll be able to calculate odds a little better. It's not quite the same thing as making you luckier, but you'll be able to nudge things your way more often. I can do the implant for 4000 caps.

I just want to point out that getting that implant will take just about all of your caps.

Doesn't matter. I'm about to get lucky. Well, luckier. :shepspends: Here's the caps.

Have a seat in the Auto-Doc. This will take a few hours.

We get the fade to black again, get a machine implanted in our frontal lobe, then leave the clinic without another word.

I don't think getting that second implant was a very good idea.

What? Why not? Look at how lucky my Pip-Boy says I am!

It's not that, I was referring more to the fact that...

...you only have 600 caps now.

Eh. It'll be fine. I don't need caps to have a good time. Now, let's head to the Strip, huh? I wanna get my hands on Benny.

Join us next time, where we get bored on guard duty!

P.S. Yes, spending most of my money was a deliberate choice.

Abhorrence fucked around with this message at 08:18 on May 19, 2014

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Abhorrence posted:

Of course it was. It's not like you need more than about 500 caps to break every single bank in Vegas with that luck.

Livewire42
Oct 2, 2013

TheMcD posted:

Of course it was. It's not like you need more than about 500 caps to break every single bank in Vegas with that luck.

"What's that ma'am? Another straight 21?"

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

quote:

Our strong moral stance makes the NCR like us!

You've got that picture showing up twice.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

TheMcD posted:

Also, I think it's because if she drops all her caps before getting to the Strip, she can go around doing the Freeside missions to scrounge up money instead of just barging in.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

chitoryu12 posted:

Also, I think it's because if she drops all her caps before getting to the Strip, she can go around doing the Freeside missions to scrounge up money instead of just barging in.

Or possibly a reason to do the Honest Hearts expansion.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Just a bit of feedback - you may want to cut your update sizes down a tad and go for more frequent/smaller updates rather than occasional/longer updates, as it might make for more in-thread conversation and prevent individual pages from getting on the unwieldy side of large like this one.

Really enjoying the LP though, keep it up!

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

Hey Guys, sorry about not updating for a little, bit. I've been wrapping up my finals. But they're done now, so expect a new update soon!

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Abhorrence posted:

Considering how loving easy it is to get caps most of the time...and there's still FOUR EXPANSIONS FULL OF LOOT TO TAKE...I don't think 600 caps is gonna kil anyone.

Abhorrence posted:

Hey Guys, sorry about not updating for a little, bit. I've been wrapping up my finals. But they're done now, so expect a new update soon!

We can't stay mad at ya. God knows that higher education is a better choice than keeping your loyal goons happy.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah the thing about New Vegas is that even ignoring the casinos, anyone who is even mildly thorough about looting the dead and repairing/selling their gear will be rolling in caps by the end of the game. In my extreme completionist run, I've got 225,000 caps - and that's with buying all the expensive things because why not?

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

Kemix posted:

We can't stay mad at ya. God knows that higher education is a better choice than keeping your loyal goons happy.

Aw, thanks. :unsmith:

Podima posted:

Yeah the thing about New Vegas is that even ignoring the casinos, anyone who is even mildly thorough about looting the dead and repairing/selling their gear will be rolling in caps by the end of the game. In my extreme completionist run, I've got 225,000 caps - and that's with buying all the expensive things because why not?

Oh yeah. There's a reason all the GRA guns are super expensive. After a while, the game just pours money down your throat.

Anyway, I'm almost done with the next update. To push us to the next page, let's take a quick poll: Who is your favorite companion?

Personally, I like Veronica because she's easy to recruit, and she doesn't snap the game over her knee like a certain other companion BOONE does.

Mr Confetti
Feb 1, 2013
Everyone except Cass. gently caress Cass. First time I tried to recruit her, I had Boone tagging along and had to send him home. I haven't forgiven her since.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Abhorrence posted:

Anyway, I'm almost done with the next update. To push us to the next page, let's take a quick poll: Who is your favorite companion?

It's hard for me to pick favorites with these companions since most of them are head and shoulders above other contemporary RPG groups. Compare these to, say, ANY follower in Skyrim.

In the vanilla game, Veronica primarily for that weapon she uses and her storyline. :swoon: Top favorite companion requires DLC and spoilers though so we'll get there when we get there.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Abhorrence posted:

You means besides EDE? Probably Veronica.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Raul has my heart and totally is the best.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013

Abhorrence posted:

I generally don't like having companions in Fallout/Skyrim/etc simply because the AI and path-finding is just not good enough to support them. I love Bethsoft's games, but an overhaul in that area is long overdue.

If I had to choose though, my favourite would probably be... a certain female companion from the Dead Money DLC that we haven't seen in this LP yet. She's pretty interesting.

Ulvirich posted:

It's hard for me to pick favorites with these companions since most of them are head and shoulders above other contemporary RPG groups. Compare these to, say, ANY follower in Skyrim.

To be fair, it was quite a different approach in Skyrim; a set of generic follower-related lines for every voice 'type' so that virtually any character you can hire or become friends with is a potential companion. Quantity over quality, I guess. :v:

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

Ulvirich posted:

Oh, come on! Don't tell me you don't love hearing a sarcastic "I am SWORN to carry your burdens," every time you dump all the vendor trash onto your companion.[/sarcasm]

Abhorrence fucked around with this message at 08:14 on May 19, 2014

Emperordaein
Jul 1, 2013

Abhorrence posted:

Oh, come on! Don't tell me you don't love hearing a sarcastic "I am SWORN to carry your burdens," every time you dump all the vendor trash onto your companion.[/sarcasm]

Serana at least got points because I realised she was getting wise when she called me out for dumping all my crap. Don't worry miss, I assure you I very much want these dragon bones. Just not now.

Ulvirich posted:

Yeah i'll go with this. Although if I had to choose... ED-E. Especially when we get to Lonesome Road

EDIT: Wrong robot. There's only one Sexbox for me in New Vegas.

Emperordaein fucked around with this message at 09:12 on May 19, 2014

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Abhorrence posted:

Overall?

Antistar01 posted:

If I had to choose though, my favourite would probably be... a certain female companion from the Dead Money DLC that we haven't seen in this LP yet. She's pretty interesting.

This one. If we're going by base game only, it's Cass, with Veronica taking second place. Also, Boone can go gently caress himself. I know you've got your reasons, but I really preferred not having Legion assassins breathing down my neck, which now isn't happening anymore because of your trigger-happy rear end.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
Boone's alright (I like solving problems), but I've got to give it to Veronica.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Emperordaein posted:

Yeah i'll go with this. Although if I had to choose... EDI.

I hope you mean ED-E. Though granted it's only half the sexbot she is...

• Locked thread