Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

Azerban posted:

LEAGUE 1 ONTARIO BITCH

artifacts because who the gently caress cares it's province-level clogball

WHO THE gently caress ARE THESE TEAMS

ANB Futbol
Durham Power FC
Internacional de Toronto
Kingston Cataraqui Clippers
Masters FA
Sigma FC
Toronto FC Academy
Vaughan Azzurri
Windsor Stars
Woodbridge Strikers

DO YOU CARE EVEN A LITTLE

hahaha no

it's a step in the right direction but the snail's pace progress of applying the recommendations from the easton report are loving killing me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
My wife decided she wanted to go with me to the Silverbacks home opener tonight for her birthday, and then she talked a bunch of her work friends to go too. I had a miserable crew with me, it was cold, windy, and pissing rain. And the concessions only had sour cream chips, apparently. But the kicker was that the bathrooms on our side of the stadium were out of service, with a single portajohn serving that side of the stadium. Which had a lake of piss on the floor and a giant pile of diarrhea right next to the toilet.

Pretty good metaphor for the Silverbacks forwards. San Antonio's 2nd goal was really good though.

So yeah, happy birthday to my wife I guess.

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

Jermaine Dildoe posted:

it's a step in the right direction but the snail's pace progress of applying the recommendations from the easton report are loving killing me

I did a cursory google search and found that easton is 'a guy who was in canada once' so I would love to know what any of this means.

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

Azerban posted:

I did a cursory google search and found that easton is 'a guy who was in canada once' so I would love to know what any of this means.

wait you didn't actually know about this

http://www.canadasoccer.com/canada-soccer-releases-report-on-division-ii-soccer-viability-in-canada-p153255

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/soccer/canadian-soccer-association-officials-envision-new-league-similar-to-chl/article8207672/

Basically the CSA commissioned a year-long study on the legitimate viability of a national D2 league, headed by James Easton. He talked to professionals from across the country and considered a few formats but in the end advocates just copying the CHL and having a bunch of regional U23 D3 leagues that come together in the end for a championship, which makes the most sense to me at this point in time anyway

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

Jermaine Dildoe posted:

wait you didn't actually know about this

http://www.canadasoccer.com/canada-soccer-releases-report-on-division-ii-soccer-viability-in-canada-p153255

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/soccer/canadian-soccer-association-officials-envision-new-league-similar-to-chl/article8207672/

Basically the CSA commissioned a year-long study on the legitimate viability of a national D2 league, headed by James Easton. He talked to professionals from across the country and considered a few formats but in the end advocates just copying the CHL and having a bunch of regional U23 D3 leagues that come together in the end for a championship, which makes the most sense to me at this point in time anyway

the best league is whatever, but also maybe a bunch of college students could do a thing too if we bothered

good job, easton report

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

Azerban posted:

the best league is whatever, but also maybe a bunch of college students could do a thing too if we bothered

good job, easton report

a developmental league is better than the *checks what we have now* literally nothing that we have now

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

Jermaine Dildoe posted:

a developmental league is better than the *checks what we have now* literally nothing that we have now

[citation needed]

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

i am right the gently caress up for Masters FA v. Sigma FC, this is a game that will do a thing and people will def. care because....development???

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

you're right, moving to europe at 15 and hoping for the best is the wave of the future and the national team is the better for it

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

by the way i was being sarcastic

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

Jermaine Dildoe posted:

you're right, moving to europe at 15 and hoping for the best is the wave of the future and the national team is the better for it

*checks out issey* yeah maybe

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

we need a national league and a development pathway like every single other country and overseas territory on the planet, for citation please see 8-1 against Honduras

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Hmmm....suddenly I am struck with insatiable curiousity about what has been going on in Canadian soccer for the last few years....is the CSL still around? ....peeks at the wiki....

quote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Soccer_League

On September 12, 2012, the CBC reported that a CSL game between the Trois-Rivières Attak and Toronto Croatia held in September 2009 was fixed.[7] The report, which aired on the news program The National, revealed court documents showing that €15,000 ($18,000 CDN) in bribes were paid to several players on Toronto Croatia. The game was part of a larger match-fixing scandal in Europe in which six people were convicted.

On January 31, 2013, the Canadian Soccer Association announced they were withdrawing support of the league.[8] On March 5, 2013, CSA formally decertified the league, however, due to adopting recommendations from the Rethink Management Report, and not from match-fixing. The league, however, fought the decertification based upon the failure of the CSA to provide adequate notice to the CSL and an opportunity for the league to comment on the CSA's approach. An arbiter agreed with the CSL and denied the CSA's attempt to decertify the league in 2013, allowing the CSL to play its 2013 season under CSA governance.[9] Following the January 31, 2013 announcement, the Toronto FC academy teams withdrew from the league, followed by the Montreal Impact academy team.

:stare:

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

Do over Ham posted:

Hmmm....suddenly I am struck with insatiable curiousity about what has been going on in Canadian soccer for the last few years....is the CSL still around? ....peeks at the wiki....

:stare:

The CSL (which was never a nationwide league and only ever was pretty much the Greater Toronto Area plus two teams from Quebec) now exists as a non-sanctioned rogue league and they can all go gently caress themselves

They have recorded conversations between matchfixers discussing buying a CSL franchise because it would only cost $150,000 and there's no oversight whatsoever. If you've ever read The Fix it was, and now even more so is, a fixer's wet dream

Ontario League 1 was pioneered by a previous CSL owner who was immediately put off by the bullshit and wanted to do something to contribute more to the sport in this country than just to solely exist as one of the most lucrative gambling rings on the planet.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Wait the CSL is actually trying to still exist :stare:

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

they're partnering with the "american soccer league"

http://www.aslsoccer.us/

yeah

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

Jermaine Dildoe posted:

yeah

sup ladies

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

now that's an av

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Jermaine Dildoe posted:

yeah

Wait...the ASL exists...again? :stare:

This is what...at least the fourth iteration since the original ASL of the 1920's?

But CSL is now a pirate league? :pirate:

Is it okay for ASL to work with a pirate league? ASL appears to be sanctioned:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Soccer_League_%282014%29

Aardvark Barber
Sep 7, 2007

Delivery in less than two minutes or your money back!

I went to the Pittsburgh Riverhounds home opener a while back, whenever it was.

Does this mean I have to be a houston dynamo fan? :D

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Aardvark Barber posted:

I think for Pittsburgh you just have to root for them to not go bankrupt since they filed for Chapter 11 last month to refinance stadium debt.

Aardvark Barber
Sep 7, 2007

Delivery in less than two minutes or your money back!

Yeah, I've heard about that. They really need to do more advertising, as the ONLY way I found out about the home opener was through a friend who was already going who was posting about it on Facebook

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Aardvark Barber posted:

Has Collins John scored yet? This is very important.

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.

Crazy Ted posted:

I think for Pittsburgh you just have to root for them to not go bankrupt since they filed for Chapter 11 last month to refinance stadium debt.

That's too bad, stadium is beautiful though--been jealous ever since I saw it online a few years ago.

http://www.riverhounds.com/Stadium/index_E.html

Bastaman Vibration
Jun 26, 2005
Looks like St. Louis is finally getting an ML... er, a USL-Pro team in 2015. If true, I can't say I'm displeased with this as this seems to be the route some other cities are taking to get an MLS team. The fanbase is definitely here, and has been for generations. Hopefully this gets supported by more than a few people/groups so an ownership team finally gets their poo poo together. My only fear is that despite the much-higher-than-average soccer participation and fandom rate here, they'll still be a minor league team competing for summer dollars against one of the best-supported pro baseball teams in the country. Hopefully it's enough to convince an ownership group.

franks
Jan 1, 2007

Alcoholism is the only
disease you can get
yelled at for having.
Former Leeds United superstar Mike Grella has signed with the Carolina Railhawks. Looks like we'll be Marching On Together to the NASL Soccer Bowl.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Go Indy Eleven :unsmith:

We've sold out our first two games with 10,000+ in attendance. Of course, it's brand new and Indianapolis fans are fickle and fairweather as poo poo. I can only hope the team is successful enough to one day get consideration for a new stadium and MLS status. I want pro soccer that isn't all the way in Chicago damnit.

awyeahz posted:

Indy Eleven still undefeated! The Brickyard Battalion was in full voice for a thrilling come-from-behind 1-1 draw. We had a sellout crowd of 10,421 during a Pacers playoff home game. Kleberson had a few curvy shots on goal (he played for Brazil you know), and there was plenty of weirdness like bringing Don Smart on in the 93rd minute for some reason.

I was at that game! The far right section hidden behind the heads. Had an absolute blast. Should have won that game 2-1 with the empty net opportunity we had following a cross late in the game but eh, what can you do.

TheHoosier fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Apr 26, 2014

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Looks like we've got a whole Indy crew here! It's bizarre to me that they broadcast the home games on local TV, but not the away games. I was thinking about going to one of the watch parties tonight, but it's been a long week so I'll probably try the NASL stream at home.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

camoseven posted:

Looks like we've got a whole Indy crew here! It's bizarre to me that they broadcast the home games on local TV, but not the away games. I was thinking about going to one of the watch parties tonight, but it's been a long week so I'll probably try the NASL stream at home.

I usually work Saturday nights so I have to take time off to watch the games. I'm hoping I can make a lot of the home games. We should get an Indy Eleven goon meet going sometime since there seems to be a few of us.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
You suck suqit.

awyeahz
Aug 21, 2005

~*~BeDtImE~4~B0NZ0~*~
Kleberson scored apparently!

e: ...and the Strikers have struck. FTL 3-2 IND. Last minute goal from Norales, but too little too late.

awyeahz fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Apr 27, 2014

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Stats don't really tell much, but if it was anything like the game against the Rowdies the opposing team spent ALOT of time attacking. It doesn't look lop-sided in possession but the neither was the the game against TB and I felt like they just danced around our defenders most of the night. It looks like we have trouble pressing attackers and causing turnovers. Estridge played well last Saturday so I don't know where he was tonight.

Oh well :smith: Here's to hoping for a win against Minnesota.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

Lladre posted:

You suck suqit.

I haven't seen a minute of the game but

YEEEESSSSSS

:getin:

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Suqit posted:

I haven't seen a minute of the game but

YEEEESSSSSS

:getin:

It was a cold and miserable night. My wife actually came out with me to see this game for the first time. We upgraded to the box seats so we could have alcohol. All and all a good game to watch. I have a pic of the San Antonio visiting crew to post later.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
It's great that the stream is working this week, but it kinda sucks seeing Indy get absolutely wrecked by MNU's counterattacks.

awyeahz
Aug 21, 2005

~*~BeDtImE~4~B0NZ0~*~
it's on ESPN3 and each team has a mendez and a ramirez which is real confusing. OWN GOAL YEAA

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
If anyone wants to watch a lower level American game with my local club: http://www.wralsportsfan.com/rs/video/13614358/

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Yea it is confusing. I'm watching on ESPN3 cause it's a much higher quality stream than NASL Live.

Man, there has been some truly garbage defending by both teams. MNU's third goal was a great shot, but he had like 10 yards of space around him at the top of the box. Insane.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

We just looked slow and indecisive. This team doesn't know whether it wants to play English long-ball or crowding midfield or what. It felt like anytime we were attacking we'd get blown up off the ball, lose a header, or get intercepted. Frustration mounted quickly and guys were just passing it around with no clear plan. I can see why MNU is top of the table but we had plenty of chances to do something.

Oh well, still a brand new team. Plenty of time left to shake the issues.

Edit: I watched it on my watchESPN app and it looked great. Worked pretty well too with a few hiccups here and there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woof! Woof!
Aug 21, 2006

Supporters of whatever they're calling the club this week.
willing to forgive the own goal because we're 4-0-0, at the top of the table, and otherwise schooled Peter Wilt today.

• Locked thread