Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
RENEWED FOR SEASON 3

sup folks pls note our :krad: thread icon - it's pretty stellar

anyways I've not really paid attention to any of the poo poo they put out about season 2 but heyo i guess it premieres SATURDAY, 22 MARCH 2014 @9PM EST

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFpk2zzqCfU

i havent watched that vid so w/e

i guess we can have a cast section

Tom Riley as Leonardo DaVinci

Blake Ritson as Count Roario - If I remember right he's supposed to be the nephew of the Pope

Elliot Cowan as Lorenzo de Medici - de facto ruler of gently caress what city Florence

Laura Haddock as Lucretia Donati - Leonardo & Lorenzo's booty call

Laura Pulver as Clarice Orsini - Lorenzo's wife

James Faulkner as Pope Sixtus IV - Kiddy Fiddler

Carolina Guerra as Ima - i dont have the loving slightest clue

Kieran Bew as Duke Alfonso - ditto

i dont remember if lorenzos brother died or not but i hope not cus he was a straight up g

heres a gif montage for lorenzos brother in case he died

lets have a fun final season guys

Iseeyouseemeseeyou fucked around with this message at 06:20 on May 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
i watched like 5 episodes of this show last year and had no idea what the gently caress was going on

i am pretty surprised it got a second season, maybe whatever channel its on just lost all the other pitches it got

E: ill watch a couple episodes this season tho because i seem to recall some weird rear end siege engine shenanigans

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I originally wasn't going to watch season 2 but then I heard they got Matt Fraction and Jonathan Hickman to write episodes so I guess I'm back in.

I'm also hoping that the move to South America cuts down on the Medici story arc which is kind of boring.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
Wasn't Leonardo into men? This show is highly historically accurate and features lots of man love I hope.

Doublehex
Jan 29, 2009

Quoth the raven, `Nevermore.'

hiddenmovement posted:

Wasn't Leonardo into men? This show is highly historically accurate and features lots of man love I hope.

...don't watch this show for a history lesson. Watch it for some crazy secret society hijinks.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

hiddenmovement posted:

I'm pretty sure there was some mention in the first season of men he'd been in relationships with but they've pretty much just stuck him with ladies during the show.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

muscles like this? posted:

I'm pretty sure there was some mention in the first season of men he'd been in relationships with but they've pretty much just stuck him with ladies during the show.
He was put on trial for sodomy in one episode and the final twist after he was freed was that he was bi. So yeah.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
I actually liked all the Medici and political intrigue stuff so I'll be a bit sad to see it go. The first episode was alright, they had a lot of tying up to do from last season so I'll cut them some slack.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

This show is still as crazy as ever. I wish more people watched it.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

GreenNight posted:

This show is still as crazy as ever. I wish more people watched it.

I enjoy it. There's just not a lot to discuss.
I like that the dickhead guard seems to have redeemed himself by saving the
little Medici girl, and I really hope that swarthy buddy isn't dead because I like him.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I like this Amerigo Vespucci.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
is this season n n good or bad

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I'm liking it so far. poo poo is happening. I kind of expect the actual Book of Leaves stuff to be paced terribly though, especially if they decide to spend the rest of the season in South America.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

If they can manage to focus half the time on Rome/Florence stuff then I think it will work out fine.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
this show has the dumbest loving theme song. i also had forgotten how much I like blake ritson as an actor.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
Riaro is my favorite part of the show with his Baller shades.

How can you not love this rear end in a top hat?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

His voice seems off to me this year, like it got redubbed by some 70 year old smoker trying to whisper.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Haha, Leonardo imitating Riario is pretty great.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
I enjoyed the first season well enough. Obviously not as good as Spartacus but quite a bit better than Camelot(what isn't). I'd say overall I liked Black Sails a little bit more, but this was still pretty good.

I haven't watched any of the new episodes yet since I've had a lot on my plate lately. Did someone up thread mention that they switched gears and removed a lot of the political intrigue? I know they are supposed to be in the new world or something this season that was about it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Nah, it looks like they're still going to have all the stuff with Florence in it. Its just become completely disconnected from the Leonardo stuff as he's off to the New World.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
DUELING POPES

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Unfortunately since one is pretending to be the other it isn't a Pope and Anti-Pope situation.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
Best part of the episode for me was the Riario impersonation at the very start.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

I'm really liking the dynamic Vespucci brings to the show. Also, I was worried it was going to get sort of dumb if they just focused on South America and Da Vinci so I'm glad it looks like it will be a nice balance.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Tokubetsu posted:

Best part of the episode for me was the Riario impersonation at the very start.

This was fantastic. I thought I'd missed an episode at first, I was sold by it.

It also had lots of other ridiculous (in a good way) poo poo like the black Medici, the sub and the fake Pope.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Antti posted:

It also had lots of other ridiculous (in a good way) poo poo like the black Medici
Of all the things to call ridiculous, you are basically starting with the one event which actually happened (albeit a few decades later): there was a black Medici named Alessandro de Medici and he was the first hereditary duke of Florence.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Toplowtech posted:

Of all the things to call ridiculous, you are basically starting with the one event which actually happened (albeit a few decades later): there was a black Medici named Alessandro de Medici and he was the first hereditary duke of Florence.

Huh, the more you learn!

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

Toplowtech posted:

this is actually pretty interesting

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Sometimes it really feels like they make Leonardo way too smart. So you end up with stuff like this where he figures out the heliocentric model of the solar system all by himself.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

gently caress. The fake Pope is Palpatine levels of evil.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
What did the Archivist call the brute? A Hiz? I googled Hiz/Hizz, but nothing relevant is returning.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

I'm 4 episodes into the first season and really like this show. The thread title leads me to believe most don't, is there any particular reason?

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

KilGrey posted:

I'm 4 episodes into the first season and really like this show. The thread title leads me to believe most don't, is there any particular reason?

i dont remember making this thread but i actually liked the first season

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

KilGrey posted:

The show gets pretty drat weird in places, and they make Da Vinci create all sorts of gadgets way ahead of his time, but it's fun. Maybe because it wasn't some huge Starz hit?

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

KilGrey posted:

Tons of people thought it was going to be a "serious" period show and disliked what they perceived as a "lack of historical accuracy". Most other period shows are not better in term of historical accuracy versus TV storytelling, it's just that they pretend to do their best to be accurate while adding drama (and yet they are not doing better, really).

This show follows the Alexandre Dumas' school of historical adaptation: "True, I have raped history, but it has produced some beautiful offspring." And it's probably why i like it.

edit: also it's totally full of Dumasian archetypes and tropes.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Apr 18, 2014

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

My problem with the first season is that it was very inconsistent. It would also be easier to swallow Leonardo basically inventing everything if they weren't also doing the (mostly) realistic Italian politics stuff. There's also an issue where the Florence vs Rome stuff doesn't have a lot of overlap with the Book of Leaves quest.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I was a little worried about how hackneyed the "I'll name this place after me" joke but I laughed at the "Vespuccia" punchline.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Business is about to pick up in the new world. Gold lady knows english.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

Just got to the episode where Da Vinci breaks into the Vatican's secret archives and I couldn't stop laughing when he rose up out of the bathtub in a cloud of mist. Just something about it and the look on the Popes face had me giggling like a loon.

Also, laughed at Lorenzo's brother when his framed teacher told him people underestimate him and that he's the perfect person to find the spy and the very next scene was him talking about it to Lucretia. :eng99:

Does Vlad the Impaler come back? He was campy fun.

Also, I don't care how stupid this show gets as long as Count Roario is in it. He's awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Don't know if it's on purpose or not but now that the story has split into multiple parallel threads the format feels kind of Game of Thrones-esque..? I think the second series feels much more cohesively story arc driven too, where the first was perhaps a little aimless.

• Locked thread