Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

I just picked up some sardines at the store. I get the boneless and skinless ones since I am willing to pay more for a stupid loving dumb fish than I really should.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardemia
Jan 2, 2004

IT IS MY RIGHT TO GET BEHIND THE WHEEL WHEN I'VE PUT BACK SIX SHIRLEY TEMPLES OK

:patriot:
Sardines w/ some whole wheat crackers, hot sauce and beer. So very tasty

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
If I open a can of sardines, my cat is going to freak the gently caress out. Is it ok if I give him some too?

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
thats funny, i like anchovy and onion pizza because of my dad

but seriously it owns

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

i never realized how much this really is dad food. my assumption is in the 70s and 80s single proto-dads just watched tv and ate sardines cheese and crackers constantly, i know that's what my dad did and looks like it's pretty common

i also think my dad ate ridiculous amounts of summer sausage

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest
smoked oysters > sardines

theyre both good but the oysters edge out the sardines slightly on account of fishiness

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

don't forget the smoked oysters on soda crackers, a dad food fav. Don't forget the hotsauce!

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Haverchuck posted:

theyre both good but the oysters edge out the sardines slightly on account of fishiness

100% agree, I just wish I could get the smoked oysters in something other than oil. Its a pain to have to wash off the oil whenever i wants me some oyster.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
my dad would do horrendous things with butter and wheat thins

strangely he was never fat and is actually healthy

but good lord

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Feminition posted:

canned sprats (you can find them in european stores/some asian groceries w/ a euro section) are similar and also tasty imo

use some bread to soak up that tasty oil

Smoked sprats are loving wonderful. I can't find them in Hawaii and it's driving me kinda nuts, fortunately there's a salted, smoked Filipino substitute, but it requires more prep effort than opening a can and it requires deboning.

Re: Anchovies.
Soak those fuckers in red wine vinegar for a couple of hours before you eat them. Why do you people not know to do this?

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010

Haverchuck posted:

I only ever see those at Trader Joes, though.

P good on their 7-grain with cholula nonetheless.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Get King Oscars in Extra Virgin Olive Oil and make this recipe, it is awesome and incredibly good for you:

quote:

Sherried Sardine Toast
Recipe courtesy of Alton Brown
Ingredients

2 (3.75-ounce 2-layer) tins brisling sardines in olive oil
2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley leaves, divided
1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
1/4 teaspoon lemon zest, reserve the lemon and cut into 4 wedges
Freshly ground black pepper
4 (1/2-inch) thick slices crusty bread, such as sourdough, country loaf or rye
1 ripe Hass avocado
Coarse sea salt

Directions

Drain the oil from 1 tin of sardines into a small bowl and set aside. Drain the oil from the other tin into another small bowl and whisk in 1 tablespoon of parsley, vinegar, lemon zest, and black pepper, to taste. Add the sardines, stir to combine and set aside for up to 1 hour.

After 45 minutes, put a rack 3-inches from the broiler and heat the oven to the broiler setting on high. Brush each slice of bread on 1 side with the reserved oil. Put the bread, oil side up, onto a cooling rack set inside a half sheet pan and broil 2 to 3 minutes or until golden brown and crisp.

Halve the avocado and remove the pit. Smash the flesh in each half with a fork.

Spread the avocado evenly onto the toasted bread. Top evenly with the sardines. Pour any remaining dressing on top and garnish with the remaining parsley.

Season lightly with sea salt and serve with lemon wedges.

E: I don't have sherry vinegar so I just use red wine vinegar.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Mar 21, 2014

PlantRobot
Feb 13, 2010
ordered a half-anchovy pizza for the hell of it once. when i picked it up everybody turned around to see who ordered it.

trip report: anchovies were... ok. like an extremely salty snack fish.

Camel Camus
Jun 16, 2009

Mais, non, je suis fantastique!

Got news for you OP you can pry my albacore from my cold dead hands!

Who am I joking there's no way I'm dying before albacore goes extinct.

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp
My dog loves sardines. Her coat is so soft and shiny. :3:

naem
May 29, 2011

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Picked up some sardines at the grocery, they're on sale right now. First time eating these. Pretty good on a multigrain cracker with garlic and herb goat cheese.

naem
May 29, 2011

Getting some with mustard thanks thread

open container
Sep 16, 2008
Sardines are pretty good imo but the real appeal is they're healthy, cheap, mercury-free, and sustainable. I started eating them pretty recently and usually have them with horseradish on whole wheat. I would love to see more recipes~!

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Hey man I understand you like eating sardines from a can but you gotta understand in a 40x20 un-ventilated break room you're being a loving rear end in a top hat and that's why no one was in the room anymore before you could open the second can.

naem
May 29, 2011

See you've got to open them over the sink, drain them then stuff them fertively into your mouth with wild eyes then rinse the can, bury it under paper towels, pop a breath mint, then say WHATS THAT SMELL when someone walks in

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010

open container posted:

Sardines are pretty good imo but the real appeal is they're healthy, cheap, mercury-free, and sustainable. I started eating them pretty recently and usually have them with horseradish on whole wheat. I would love to see more recipes~!

First time I've heard of pairing them with horseradish, but I'm intrigued.

I like horseradish, but I basically only experience it with roast beef and cocktail sauce.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

open container posted:

healthy, cheap, mercury-free, and sustainable

you pick really bad reasons to eat things

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

open container posted:

I would love to see more recipes~!

Bahn mi

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Umiapik posted:

My disgusting sardines recipe (what i invented myself)

-chop 1 onion and fry in oil until it goes soft
-reduce the heat and add:
- 1 tin sardines
- 1 heaped tablespoon pickled chillies
- 1 big squirt of tomato puree
- salt & pepper

Simmer it until it's all nicely mixed together, adding a splash of water as necessary, then serve with pasta. loving delicious. Sardines rule.

PIC RELATED, by the way:

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Is that Gagh?

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Anybody here down with white anchovies?
They're in like a lemon and olive oil brine and they're loving fantastic.
I like regular anchovies just fine, but the white ones taste like a fish made out of caeser salad or something and it's loving awesome.

Also please post more sardine recipes because I had a tin a couple years back and just kinda 'meh'd at it pensively. I want to know how to unleash the beast.

naem
May 29, 2011

There was a fish store, whatever you call a fresh fish place with whole fish, shaved ice etc, that had a bag of random fish I loved. It was like, little teeny fish (anchovies?) squid (calamari bits too small to deep fry) and scallops usually.

It was all ready to cook you just dumped it into oil with onions etc, usually have it with pasta, awesome cheap and guess what I'll never have it again since moving. Trying to buy all the ingredients alone is like $20 each as opposed to $5 bucks that is my fish story.

On the west coast there are Chinese stores that specialize in small live animal sales that will chop up frogs, turtles, fish, gremlins you name it and put the still wiggling bits in a bag, usually there's a whole pig on the wall behind the counter. Food.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I live right across from a small river and I'm gonna go smelting in it come spring and see what I catch!! (aids)

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
that bowl of pasta looks absolutely disgusting

i mean it probably tastes good

but seriously it looks like puke

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010

http://asianinamericamag.com/2012/11/sardines-spinach-and-tomatoes-soup-sabo-tacsyapu-na/

This is amazing. I'll buy a bag of spinach and eat this five times in a week.

open container
Sep 16, 2008

word

FaradayCage posted:

http://asianinamericamag.com/2012/11/sardines-spinach-and-tomatoes-soup-sabo-tacsyapu-na/

This is amazing. I'll buy a bag of spinach and eat this five times in a week.

that looks bangin

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Sardines are loving gross like all fish are gross fish is gross.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
growing up in a jamaican household i ate a lot of sardines

if i still ate meat i'd eat the gently caress out of sardines

sardines are pretty good

tupac holocron
Apr 23, 2008
The son of Maryam is about to descend amongst you as a correct ruler, he will break the cross and kill the pig!

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

nutranurse posted:

if i still ate meat i'd eat the gently caress out of sardines

But sardines are fish, not meat?!

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

my ancestors ate a lot of sardines and also a shitton of cod.

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010

Lawman 0 posted:

my ancestors ate a lot of sardines and also a shitton of cod.

I wanna try salted cod so I can be like an old timey person.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

do people eat the bones in the sardines?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.
This thread is going to get me to try sardines. thanks guys

• Locked thread