Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crewmine
Apr 26, 2012

Donald Kimball posted:

I really hate seafood. The fishy taste and texture destroys me, but I want to like it. How can I enjoy fish such as these sardines?

well you have to debone them and crush them into a fine paste, then mix them with spices and garlic. Ideally cayenne pepper flakes, spiciness will help a lot. Once you've got that set up nicely, you'll want to put some oil in a pan on low heat then throw the sardine paste in the garbage because you will never enjoy sardines sorry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gasbraai
Oct 25, 2010

Lictor my Dictor

plaguedoctor posted:

I unironically like 90% of Nevermind, and I can deal with Soundgarden and Pearl Jam.

Please don't tell me that's Dadrock...

Nevermind came out 23 years ago, kids born back then could themselves be parents by now. Its totally dadrock.

open container
Sep 16, 2008

plaguedoctor posted:

What kind of mustard do you recommend?

horseradish

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme
Ya'll should double-dad and hit up Costco. They carry Season boneless skinless sardines in olive oil (5 for $8). $1.60 a can for delicious BPA free sustainably harvested fishtins. I make a big supersalad every night and top it with a can of sardines and half a lemon squeezed over it. Ain't no better eatin'.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Canned fish is always so bland though and I wage sardines are no different.

Put anchovies on your pizza though, and on your meatballs, and also on every tomato sauce pasta dish u can handle.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Donald Kimball posted:

I really hate seafood. The fishy taste and texture destroys me, but I want to like it. How can I enjoy fish such as these sardines?

Go into it with an open mind and realize that they're supposed to taste like that. Otherwise, sardines are as fishy as they get.

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you

plaguedoctor posted:

I'm going to have to try sardines and mustard now. What kind of mustard do you recommend?

Also, what is the best dadrock around these days? Should I be listening to Hootie?

something stone-ground like Plochman's or Boetje's. The best dadrock for you specifically would be all of Bob Dylan's albums up to and including Empire Burlesque.

French and Portuguese sardines are really the best, too bad they cost 2 or 3 times as much as King Oscar. Fresh Copper River Sockeye flown overnight to a midwestern fish market is cheaper by the pound lol.

PlantRobot
Feb 13, 2010

Donald Kimball posted:

If you eat something x number of times you will like it. I recommend 3 sardine based meals/day until you see results.

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
PACKED LIKE SARDINES IN A TIN CAN

good endorsement, I'm sold

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

so glad we've convinced people to try sardines here. good work everyone all around, spread the love

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

THS posted:

so glad we've convinced people to try sardines here. good work everyone all around, spread the love

i always get a massive craving for hamburger when i see your avatar :I

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Pro tip if you're getting bumblebee hot sauce sardines, look for product of Poland on the bottom. Conveniently they usually have a gold top, as opposed to product of Canada tins with a silver top.

This is important. Polish tins are WAY SPICIER and more Delicious than their watered down frenchie counterparts

Always check the tin

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Haverchuck posted:

fry fish in a pan, mix it with refried beans and peanut butter and throw it against the wall as hard as you can
I liked anchovies before I liked sardines so you're probably going to have to approach is slowly. I would just eat other seafood until you like the taste of common fish, and then eat sardines that are in/on something* that helps mute the flavor a bit until you hit the point where you can just pop open a can and eat them like an animal.

*Pizza, pasta, salads, sandwhiches, whatever really.

I would super recommend everyone gets into eating sardines and small fish in general though. They're good for you, their populations have exploded due to natural predators dying so they're super sustainable, and as a bonus you don't really have to worry about animal treatment related problems with them because we don't really need to factory farm them. Small fish are basically the least wasteful and most ethical animals to eat right now if you're gonna eat animals.

ArbitraryC fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Mar 25, 2014

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Donald Kimball posted:

Eat salmon you big loving baby

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I find most people's dislike of fish or seafood comes from only ever trying a mc fish filet or tuna sandwich once

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Someone needs to post a thread in Goons with spoons about what canned foods are good because as someone who takes adderal I eat infrequently but hate having to throw food out if it goes bad

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
also if you eat california rolls but not actual sushi then kill yourself since you're not even eating real crab, its a crab substitute made from a fish and mixed with mayonaise

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010

Donald Kimball posted:

Tilapia is probably the most agreeable fish out there. In fish tacos it's bomb as gently caress.

Go to a respectable restaurant and order fish tacos. You won't pussy out eating them unless you are literally the biggest gayby.

Once you enjoy those, graduate to salmon. It's a bit fishier, but I started out hating it and now I love it. Go wild-caught if you can.

Sushi is also (surprisingly) an easy way to get in. Spicy Tuna rolls are like the burger 'n fries of the sushi world, so start there. The texture of raw tuna is heavenly.

Now that you're acclimated, maybe try something like mullet (I've actually never had mullet, can someone weigh in?)

Then you're ready for your sarDINES. No "Mr." Accent on the DINES.

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

ColoradoCleric posted:

also if you eat california rolls but not actual sushi then kill yourself since you're not even eating real crab, its a crab substitute made from a fish and mixed with mayonaise

there are places that make california rolls using real crab, and some that even offer a choice between crab and k.r.a.b. for patrons who actually prefer the fake stuff

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
california rolls are weird because they do that dumb thing where they put the rice on the outside and the seaweed on the inside

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lets see how much sardines would I have to eat to be healthy

quote:

2. Have three to four cans each week.

This will provide enough omega-3 fatty acids and vitamin D for most people, so you won’t need a supplement. I have seen no appreciable mercury or other toxicity at this level of sardine consumption. By contrast, most all other fish and all shellfish, even wild-caught salmon, are often toxic today and should be totally avoided.

well gently caress

obliviums
Oct 2, 2013

The only exercise I get is poopin'

Do you fat-shaming try-hards really know how good ice cream is?
My contribution to sardine culture: Grilled Turkey-sardine bacon burger topped with kale chips and tomatoes. Extremely fishy, wish I put horseradish and mayo on top, but the burg was delightfully moist. 7.5/10

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

i intend to eat another can of king oscars today fyi

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Just ate a can with just salt and pepper instead of crackers. It was delightful.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

ColoradoCleric posted:

Lets see how much sardines would I have to eat to be healthy

well gently caress

You could eat them 'cause they're delicious instead. And eat other healthy stuff, too.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Dr. Faustus posted:

Get King Oscars in Extra Virgin Olive Oil and make this recipe, it is awesome and incredibly good for you:

E: I don't have sherry vinegar so I just use red wine vinegar.

Trip report: good

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

ColoradoCleric posted:

Eat salmon you big loving baby

wild rainbow trout is very good too.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

obliviums posted:

My contribution to sardine culture: Grilled Turkey-sardine bacon burger topped with kale chips and tomatoes. Extremely fishy, wish I put horseradish and mayo on top, but the burg was delightfully moist. 7.5/10

i can appreciate the idea of three different animals in a single burger but that combination just sounds :barf:

naem
May 29, 2011

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.
i bought some canned mackerel

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
goons continue their metamorphosis into prisoners

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I'm still loving laughing at the guy who posted the putanesca sauce recipe and said to use sardines in it.

It's supposed to be anchovies, sardines would be stupid to put in there, the entire point is to 'melt' the anchovies at the start of the sauce.

what a fuckin scrub

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

Big Beef City posted:

I'm still loving laughing at the guy who posted the putanesca sauce recipe and said to use sardines in it.

It's supposed to be anchovies, sardines would be stupid to put in there, the entire point is to 'melt' the anchovies at the start of the sauce.

what a fuckin scrub

ya this is true. although tomato sauce with olives and sardines wouldn't be bad. i wouldn't call it puttanesca though

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

Big Beef City posted:

what a fuckin scrub

yeah that was bugging me but i didnt care enough to say anything

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.
is it ok to eat sardine skeletons?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

ZombieParts posted:

no induce vomiting immediately

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

ZombieParts posted:

roll that sweet sardine footage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlLdDq3Z2g0

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Cream_Filling posted:

no induce vomiting immediately

Don't do that, they'll get stuck in your throat and you'll die.

Eat a tub of laxative.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

that looks awesome i've never had fresh sardines before drat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Some places they put em on skewers but coat them in lemon and olive oil as their finishing grilling and then dust with salt...whoooaaaaa

• Locked thread