Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

paragon1 posted:

Wow Cavedog really just ran out of ideas towards the end here. It's pretty sad. :smith:

This would have been as the company was collapsing around them. Look at the way the pre-mission cutscenes have stopped having any connection to the levels. It really is tragic; this is what people threw together in a desperate effort to stave off redundancy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Stephen9001 posted:

I just hope I get to see you make another Ariel Juggernaut in the next mission.

I'll try, I only have 45 mins in the next mission but it starts me with an Academy and the enemy start with very few offensive units so I may have time. As we saw (briefly) the Aerial Juggernaut is actually pretty great, it's my favorite of the ultimate units.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Mar 15, 2015

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Neruz posted:

I'll try, I only have 45 mins in the next mission but it starts me with an Academy and the enemy start with very few offensive units so I may have time. As we saw (briefly) the Aerial Juggernaut is actually pretty great, it's my favorite of the ultimate units.

I imagine the reason it's you're favourite is because it's tough and doesn't need to wait for mana to charge up before it can do good attacks?

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
It can also attack multiple units at once. I'm not sure if it genuinely launches multiple projectiles, or just drops the bombs so fast it seems to, but the Juggernaut is superb at slaughtering ground troops en masse. One AJ making a pass can clear out a whole swathe of AA to allow a fleet of robodragons in.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

The downside is that it is slower than the ancient dragons and a bigger target, so easier to take down. I think it's also more vulnerable to air-to-air attacks.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Stephen9001 posted:

I imagine the reason it's you're favourite is because it's tough and doesn't need to wait for mana to charge up before it can do good attacks?

Sort of, one of the things that hasn't really been apparent is just how terrible the Great Dragons are without ranking up. If you go back to the episode where I summoned Aramon's Gold Dragon that has been the only time we have seen an unranked Dragon which is what you actually get because the veterancy requirements on the Dragons are way too high for you to ever have any likelihood of achieving anything beyond Bronze.

The Aerial Juggernaut on the other hand requires no veterancy at all to start kicking people's heads in and has significantly more HP than the Dragons as well as serving as an aerial transport for a side that really benefits from air support.

Loxbourne posted:

It can also attack multiple units at once. I'm not sure if it genuinely launches multiple projectiles, or just drops the bombs so fast it seems to, but the Juggernaut is superb at slaughtering ground troops en masse. One AJ making a pass can clear out a whole swathe of AA to allow a fleet of robodragons in.

It genuinely launches multiple projectiles, it has 3 separate weapons in the form of a very high damage arrow shot and a pair of cannons\bombs similar to how the Krogoth had multiple weapons back in TA.

The main thing is longevity and usefulness out of the box; Dragons are better with high veterancy because once they get the ability to spam their AoE attack they can start tearing dudes apart like you saw in the video but normally they only have the mana for one AoE attack which is great but not really worth their cost. The Juggernaut on the other hand will not only last a lot longer in combat but will cause more overall damage because it never runs out of juice.

That said there's still one more tier of ultimate units higher up that are even more impractical than the Great Dragons; I'll try to go over them in a skirmish video. I will attempt to show off all 5 of them through mind control shenanigans but I'll definitely show off at least one (probably Zhon's).

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
It's also, y'know, a flying steam-driven air battleship that drops bombs. Which is far cooler than any dragon :colbert:

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Well I was trying to condense it down into 3 steps. I guess you can add "Also make sure you have interceptors and/or travel underwater" as step 2.5,

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Once more into the breach! Zhon joins the fray and is extremely annoying with all their flymans, but even flymans are no match for the KING OF THE BATTLEFIELD! Artillery continues to reign supreme and the Aerial Juggernaut continues to be the best ultimate unit.

Remarkably low number of 'gently caress yous' in this mission, I guess Cavedog expected the sheer volume of dudes to be challenging enough.

Let's Play Total Annihilation: Kingdoms - The Iron Plague Episode 24 - Youtubular

Next time it's the final mission! Aww shieet.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
That part at the end when you had the Aerial Juggernaut team up with your Neo-Dragons was awesome! It made the boring parts of the middle (some of the middle anyway) all so very much worth it. Looking forward to seeing what you do in the final mission, where I assume you have all 4 monarchs of those who are not Creon, and as such could make some truly absurd armies.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
hahaha man good luck Neruz.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
The last mission is so bad oh my god. You think 'sweet I get all four Monarchs and can make awesome super armies' and then you load up the mission and see what Cavedog have done to you and it is the worst.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Neruz posted:

The last mission is so bad oh my god. You think 'sweet I get all four Monarchs and can make awesome super armies' and then you load up the mission and see what Cavedog have done to you and it is the worst.

Did they only give you one builder and everyone else is under AI control? Or did they give Creon a FuckHuge base with Massive gently caress Off defences? If neither, which is closer to the truth?

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Stephen9001 posted:

Creon ... Massive gently caress Off defences?

I think that's redundant.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Kangra posted:

I think that's redundant.

I meant more so than usual.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

It's a bit of a nut to crack, but unending masses of knights will break through. I sacrificed hundreds upon hundreds to get through.

Would probably make for a very boring video, though. Takes a while, even at +10 speed.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
This is it, I'm done! No more Kingdoms! Now I can move onto a game that I actually enjoy playing, yay! :toot:

This last mission is a huge bitch and doing it 'properly' requires like two or three hours and just endless amounts of inane slog, fortunately we have Sky Knights and we don't need to do anything to win except kill the Sage :getin:

Let's Play Total Annihilation: Kingdoms - The Iron Plague Episode 25 - Youtubular

That's it! Another LP over! Sorry about how much it dragged out at the end there, you might not have noticed but working up the necessary energy to play these terrible missions with a unit count that is too low on maps that are too small with not enough resources was an effort. Hopefully since I still find SupCom's campaign entertaining we won't have that issue with the next LP but we'll see!

Even today looking at all the wasted potential in TA:K makes me sad, I'm going to go lie down for a bit now. :smith:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Oh gods that starting location. :gonk:

Veruna is still Veruna, as demonstrated in the opening babbling. :downs:

Neruz posted:

This is it, I'm done! No more Kingdoms! Now I can move onto a game that I actually enjoy playing, yay! :toot:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
It's fun comparing and contrasting this with the original Starcraft's final mission. You get control of two bases of different factions on opposite sides of the map, and have the objective of murdering the poo poo out of something in the middle. Except, in that mission, it's actually fun.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
Well, that was certainly a thing. What was with that ending cutscene with the Garicaius space tomb thing though?

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
:iiam:

From memory there were plans to have this elaborate online multiplayer thing so maybe it was supposed to lead into that, though as far as I know that stuff didn't actually happen due to Cavedog going out of business.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Cavedog :smith:

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Thanks for playing. Your tolerance for terrible levels is impressive. I gave up on mission 4.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah. I never actually finished Iron Plague and this LP was a really great showcase why. Looking forward to SupCom, that's actually a good game.

Trump Card
Jun 25, 2008

HEY GUYS
Now that your years long nightmare is finally over you know now what you must do: Complete all of Battle Tactics :getin:

:shepicide:

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Am I weird because I actually enjoyed Total Annihilation Kingdoms? :(

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Well, congratulations on making it to the end. ...did they honestly expect you to fight a 4-front war there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
I really do think they did yes.

Alright ladies and gents, SupCom thread is live!

Closing up this thread and sending it for archival. I am so pumped for this poo poo you have no idea :allears:

• Locked thread