Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

echinopsis posted:

This is the kind of poo poo I was talking about here :

I am actually legit asking that question I got probated for.

I asked it in the marriage equality thread because I thought it was the most relevant thread to ask someone about sexism... Got told it wasns't appropriate so then I trawled through 4 or 5 pages of threads in D&D to find this thread which was barely on target but at least was dead enough. Do I really need to start an entire thread just to get an answer to the question? Jesus fuckin' christ

If you think of a human as an object, your thinking is hosed up. Because humans aren't objects. They're human loving beings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sardine Wit
Sep 3, 2004

echinopsis posted:

This is the kind of poo poo I was talking about here :

I am actually legit asking that question I got probated for.

I asked it in the marriage equality thread because I thought it was the most relevant thread to ask someone about sexism... Got told it wasns't appropriate so then I trawled through 4 or 5 pages of threads in D&D to find this thread which was barely on target but at least was dead enough. Do I really need to start an entire thread just to get an answer to the question? Jesus fuckin' christ

People respond badly because this is a tactic that opponents regularly use in bad faith to derail and score points against minorities arguing about oppression. It's such a common tactic that there's lots of writing about it online.

Read more here if you're curious: http://www.derailingfordummies.com/derail-using-education/

Not saying you're not doing it in good faith, but if you are you should realise that when oppression is systemic and well-documented and easy to read about its not the duty of the minority to drop what they're talking about to educate you one-on-one, personally, from scratch.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Sardine Wit posted:

People respond badly because this is a tactic that opponents regularly use in bad faith to derail and score points against minorities arguing about oppression. It's such a common tactic that there's lots of writing about it online.

Read more here if you're curious: http://www.derailingfordummies.com/derail-using-education/

Not saying you're not doing it in good faith, but if you are you should realise that when oppression is systemic and well-documented and easy to read about its not the duty of the minority to drop what they're talking about to educate you one-on-one, personally, from scratch.

Posting on the internet to tell someone you aren't going to educate them is some petty poo poo. He isn't asking in person.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

natetimm posted:

If you think of a human as an object, your thinking is hosed up. Because humans aren't objects. They're human loving beings.

I was asking if objectification was inherent to sexism, not whether or not it was ok in of itself, plus you seem to be falling into a false dichotomy... people generally find mannequins unsexy [I know some do] so the human aspect of objectification is absolutely essential to the purpose of why its being done

Sardine Wit posted:

hmm that does make a lot of sense. reality is thought usually when I'm in the situation like that all im looking for is some starting guidance. I'm happy to do a bit of self learning but I'd have no idea what to even start reading regarding that topic. it's like you posting your post, until you did I'd have no idea what the problem even was let alone how to find out why its a problem and what the solution is. and to be honest my problem is usually with the fact that people don't respond with "go read some feminist literature" but instead "check out this fuckin chauvinistic pig" you know? I don't expect them to do hard work for me but it's like I'm a stranger in a new town and I'm asking for directions to the information centre and the person I asked says "I guess you should have thought of that before you came here"

Sardine Wit
Sep 3, 2004

He didn't say people were always posting, so I'm not sure what your point is? :confused: He said he was pissed off people didn't drop what they were doing to reply to him.

Edit: Echinopsis, that's fair, I agree it's poo poo when people assume the worst of people but at the same time you have google. I'm sure you can do a little research before you wade in on twitter. I think you'll find if you even start qualifying your posts with "I've done a little reading on google, but i can't find an answer to question X" you'll get taken much more in good faith - assuming your question is one it's reasonable to still not be able to answer on google.

Sardine Wit fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jun 1, 2014

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

echinopsis posted:

I was asking if objectification was inherent to sexism, not whether or not it was ok in of itself, plus you seem to be falling into a false dichotomy... people generally find mannequins unsexy [I know some do] so the human aspect of objectification is absolutely essential to the purpose of why its being done

objectification OF WOMEN, an entire specific class of oppressed persons. include the words used in the original statement. yes, sexism is inherent in the objectification of women.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
If a women does it?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
I think he's basically asking if seeing a woman and thinking anything related to her appearance, whether it's "wow, she's pretty" or "she's ugly" or whatever else, regardless of circumstances, is it wrong to do that at all, ever?

It should probably go in it's own thread though.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sardine Wit posted:

Edit: Echinopsis, that's fair, I agree it's poo poo when people assume the worst of people but at the same time you have google. I'm sure you can do a little research before you wade in on twitter. I think you'll find if you even start qualifying your posts with "I've done a little reading on google, but i can't find an answer to question X" you'll get taken much more in good faith - assuming your question is one it's reasonable to still not be able to answer on google.

That's a fair point :)

Back to my original question though (regarding "sexism is inherent to the objectification of women."), and the reason I asked it is because I don't see why the objectification of women has to be a sexist thing to do. Surely a lesbian could objectify a woman in the same way that a gay dude could objectify a man, hence, how is objectification of women inherently sexist? Or is the statement itself claiming that objectification of women can only exist because sexism exists? Part of my issue is perhaps not really understanding what the person was trying to say

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I think he's basically asking if seeing a woman and thinking anything related to her appearance, whether it's "wow, she's pretty" or "she's ugly" or whatever else, regardless of circumstances, is it wrong to do that at all, ever?

It should probably go in it's own thread though.

When you say "he", do you mean me? I am right here you know. I can read what you write...

Well that's kind of the question, but not really but is a good question perhaps. I try to re-phrase it just above here. Hopefully I don't get probed for another week for asking it

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

gently caress now I'm reading the rest of those and am realising the only thing I can ever really complain about to anyone ever is that I'm not (relative in our society at least) rich, when I am discussing wealth with richer people.

Although just you wait until I am talking to them because they are gonna fuckin pay

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

Man, you gays may have people preaching for you to be murdered, but can we get back to what really matters, when straight guys can stare at tits? Seriously, thought I do believe you're doing this in good faith, do you not see how irrelevant to the present conversation you question is? Same thing for the marriage equality thread. Why does a discussion about gay rights seem like the place to ask questions about straight male objectification of women?

I do think that treating Phelps as entirely irrelevant misses the normalizing effect protests like his have. Even if bigots think he goes too far, I've definitely seen WBC used to defend less extreme homophobia as moderate and reasonable. I don't think you can just dismiss him as a relic of a bygone era, especially since homophobic violence is still very much a threat to LGBT people.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
poo poo bro I just didn't want to start a new thread. You get killed in D&D these days for that poo poo. This thread was dead as gently caress, no on had posted in it almost 2 months, I don't really even feel bad at all for "derailing it" or whatever... Plus it worked, people pulled together and helped me understand why.. well.. actually no I'm still not sure about my original question but thanks for misrepresenting what I said completely.

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

echinopsis posted:

poo poo bro I just didn't want to start a new thread. You get killed in D&D these days for that poo poo. This thread was dead as gently caress, no on had posted in it almost 2 months, I don't really even feel bad at all for "derailing it" or whatever... Plus it worked, people pulled together and helped me understand why.. well.. actually no I'm still not sure about my original question but thanks for misrepresenting what I said completely.

My advice is to never look at another woman again.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

echinopsis posted:

Just start a new thread, you seem to be getting over your stroke so you should have the language for it now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
:confused: ok maybe when I have a minute to form a cool OP

Little Blackfly posted:

My advice is to never look at another woman again.

even my wife? poo poo

• Locked thread