Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
If someone still doesn't consider Gabriel a mass-murdering poo poo, kindly consider: Cornell had to move the loving moon to fight him. Several thousand coastal villages flooded.

Can't be to angry at the dark lord of the beardwolves though: his name is a reference to one of the worst CV games out there and his visuals were clearly designed on a Friday afternoon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
Looks like the Dark Lord of the Werewolves upholds the tradition of all Castlevania bosses and has nothing to do except to wait in his boss fight arena for a Belmont to come and fight him. I can just imagine him ordering his troops. "Go gently caress up a village or something, he'll come. He'll point a broken log or something at you that's his thing. Just don't jump at that, I want you to tell him where I live."

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
The story isn't really bad until the last 10 minutes. Before it's uninspired but functional.

1 and 2 are still some of my favorite games though.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Flytrap posted:

The story isn't really bad until the last 10 minutes. Before it's uninspired but functional.

1 and 2 are still some of my favorite games though.

With how much people are hyping up those last ten minutes, it sounds like it'll be memorable at least. Nothing is more damning than being boring and of no consequence.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Ramos posted:

With how much people are hyping up those last ten minutes, it sounds like it'll be memorable at least. Nothing is more damning than being boring and of no consequence.

It's utterly loving glorious. The beauty of it is that you can totally see it coming but you're going to be "no way they'd do something this stupid" the entire time.
At least that was my response.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jul 12, 2014

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

anilEhilated posted:

If someone still doesn't consider Gabriel a mass-murdering poo poo, kindly consider: Cornell had to move the loving moon to fight him. Several thousand coastal villages flooded.

Can't be to angry at the dark lord of the beardwolves though: his name is a reference to one of the worst CV games out there and his visuals were clearly designed on a Friday afternoon.

That Casltevania game wasn't too bad. It was more Castlevania than this game!

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
To be honest thus far the story hasn't been bad so much as it has been very poorly formatted and told. You could probably do the exact same story but in a more sensible chain of events and with better narration and character interaction and it would be fine.

The story I've seen thus far is a typical fantasy vidjeo game story, just totally without any explanation for anything.

RSCNyx
Mar 6, 2013

It's okay, little guy. I would be scared too.

Zain posted:

It pains me to say this, but it's true.

(Seriously Judgment is really bad though)

To me, it's not really the story itself, but how it's being told. It's just throwing a bunch of new characters and plots out of nowhere, and the only consistent thing right now is that we're killing three Lords of Shadow. Which also have a crazy plot twist associated with them because reasons.

Even worse when these new characters are almost instantly killed off, seemingly for no reason. Now, I've heard that literally at the end of the game, this will all somehow make sense.

Trust me when I say I am looking forward to that moment. Until then, gonna fly like an eagle. :911:

RSCNyx fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jul 13, 2014

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
I feel like this story would be way better if the player's PoV character was Patrick Stewart instead of Gabriel. Gabriel doesn't know what the gently caress he is doing but Patrick Stewart has all the answers.

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

I kind of like the bizarre story, though. Gabriel has no idea what's going on, he might very well be insane, but he has a goal that he will doggedly pursue to the end, even if people keep dying around him and random poo poo keeps assisting/hindering him. It's basically a much less articulate version of Hotline Miami's structure, where the player is trying to figure out why they're doing what they're doing in the game.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Is there any structural or plot reason why the Lords of Shadow being the dark parts of the old Lords of Light would need to be a secret?

DeliciousCookie
Mar 4, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

Is there any structural or plot reason why the Lords of Shadow being the dark parts of the old Lords of Light would need to be a secret?

If I recall right, its basically admitting that this whole problem is the Order's fault then. Though I can't remember if thats come up yet or if it comes up at all.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Yeah if the Lords of Shadow are an accidental creation of the Lords of Light then the Order becomes negligent bastards who accidentally created the greatest evils known to man and then didn't clean up their gigantic mess.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
One stage and a boss fight does seem ridiculously rushed, but maybe that's just numbers talking. If this were all presented as a rush to get the parts back in 6 installments, with bosses in stages 2, 4, and 6, would that look better?

RSCNyx
Mar 6, 2013

Glazius posted:

One stage and a boss fight does seem ridiculously rushed, but maybe that's just numbers talking. If this were all presented as a rush to get the parts back in 6 installments, with bosses in stages 2, 4, and 6, would that look better?

I think it would.

Chapter 2, most of the levels are literally filler: There's no new items, no bosses, and rarely any new gameplay concepts. Three-four of the stages have any relevance to anything, rest just instantly end. I think it would have been fine to shorten Chapter 2, and put some of the levels in Chapter 3 instead. The pacing is just all over the place.

I think Chapter 4 is pretty short, as well. Two stages, I think!

Discendo Vox posted:

I agree with everyone else: I think it's just to show that the Order is kinda dumb. Which would answer a lot of questions about Gabriel.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

At this rate, I wouldn't be surprised if part of the twist was that the lords of light knew they'd cause problems and so did something ridiculously convoluted to make sure Gabriel cleaned up their mess.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

I wouldn't be surprised if the lords of light were secretly evil and did this poo poo on purpose. I think I can already see where this story is heading and it will either be wonderful or horrible.

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
:siren:Update!:siren:

Chapter 4

Welp, after a bit of a wait, we get started on Chapter 4! I...don't understand this chapter. First off, Gabriel is more than happy to follow the orders of Ameri-Pan....or rather, a giant loving eagle, without question (he totally doesn't know it's Pan by the way), nor does this place have anything relevant with his mission to kill the Lords of Shadow. It gets mentioned, in passing, in Chapter...9 I think? There is literally no other reason for these two stages to exist, other than to provide about a 4 sentence paragraph worth of Lore in one of the later Chapters. Just...gently caress man.

We're also introduced to a new gimmick which will show up a couple times in the future, the Chupacabras! Kojima's personification in this game (he does the VA for it in the Japanese version). This little bastard pops up randomly, steals away all your abilities, until you hunt him down, wherever he's hidden himself in the level. Once you catch him, you don't get the satisfaction of beating him or anything, he just poofs into thin air, only to gently caress with you again later down the road. IGA must have paid somebody to design this gimmick, just to troll the loving game, and goddamn does it work well, these segments are poo poo. Nothing else, and certainly not SMOKIN'.....:smith:

Zain posted:

I enjoyed the 64 Castlevanias! It had the feel of the old stage-based Castlevania games, just in 3-D. Much preferred that style of a "3-D-vania" (man these games have so many different little hyphenated words), to the IGA style of Lament of Innocence and Curse of Darkness, as well as LoS. If they wanted to make a really good 3-D Castlevania, go back to the 64 games, fix the lovely camera and the floaty controls, and just by doing that, (would literally have to do nothing else), they'd have the best 3-D Castlevania to date.

Discendo Vox posted:

Arcade Rabbit posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if the lords of light were secretly evil and did this poo poo on purpose. I think I can already see where this story is heading and it will either be wonderful or horrible.

My understanding is that basically, if people knew that the Order themselves were responsible for all the bad poo poo going on, they wouldn't let the Order last any longer! Of course, there's still the question of whether or not they knew it'd gently caress poo poo up in the first place.

Archaotic
Aug 12, 2008
I actually think this is the part where the game starts getting better, honestly. From Cornell on, there's a string of at least decent levels, arcing up into actually pretty drat good for a while.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

BMS posted:

I enjoyed the 64 Castlevanias! It had the feel of the old stage-based Castlevania games, just in 3-D. Much preferred that style of a "3-D-vania" (man these games have so many different little hyphenated words), to the IGA style of Lament of Innocence and Curse of Darkness, as well as LoS. If they wanted to make a really good 3-D Castlevania, go back to the 64 games, fix the lovely camera and the floaty controls, and just by doing that, (would literally have to do nothing else), they'd have the best 3-D Castlevania to date.

How is Curse of Darkness? Lament of Innocence was a pretty rad 3d castlevania outside of having to use items during combat.

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Zain posted:

How is Curse of Darkness? Lament of Innocence was a pretty rad 3d castlevania outside of having to use items during combat.

Overall, I found Curse of Darkness to be an improvement over Lament. It did away with the real-time item usage (forced at least, you could still use items without going to the menu, but you could also pause the game and use them), didn't feature the same copy and paste level design, and was a much longer game. It also featured different types of weapons that you could "craft" from poo poo you'd pick up off of enemies. All in all a good game! However, it's opposite design from Lament, while cool, was also it's primary downfall (in my opinion). There are a TON of areas, that have MASSIVE rooms, filled with one or two enemies, IF that. While others, are the beloved forced fight rooms that Lament abused. It just seemed to me like the designers had big plans, but when they were looking it over, they said "Oh man, those last two rooms were HUGE, but they really had no enemies, and nothing to do in them, so let's put a forced fight segment at the end!".

Although, it DID have some of the best music in a CV game in a while. Which is still pretty snazzy after all this time.

Here's a couple of samples.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0j9kZM2BAFQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8EfxAhz8-o

Personally, I like both LoI, and CoD, even with their flaws, (same as Lords of Shadow), but I'd say if you enjoyed Lament especially, you'd like Curse!

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Zain posted:

I gotta partly disagree with BMS. CoD's crafting system was really grindy, as was its main draw, a familiar summoning and growth system that involved branching evolutions. Some doors in the game are only opened by a single creature at the far corner of its tree, via an ongherwise useless ability. This translated to relentless xp grind. Crafting sometimes involved using items that could only be stolen from late game bosses, which was also annoying as hell. The breadth of equipment and combat choices removed the depth of LoI's straightforward combat system, and added all the troublesome elements you see in the worst IGA games.

The chair room was freaking great, though. Every game needs one.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I normally give a lot of poo poo to this game but this is the chapter with Malphas and Malphas is awesome. Probably the single coolest looking boss in the game.

Probe 17
Jul 27, 2014

Red Rain is coming down

Red Rain
Maybe I'm just a giant loving dork, but I keep trying to fit the thread title into "Video Killed The Radio Star."

anilEhilated posted:

I normally give a lot of poo poo to this game but this is the chapter with Malphas and Malphas is awesome. Probably the single coolest looking boss in the game.

I've loved Malphas ever since DoS. He was really cool in that game too.

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"
I like CoD a lot more than I probably should, mostly because they actually bothered to make a halfway decent bonus character mode with a cool, relatively indepth moveset and actual unique equipment, even if it was only different elemental whips.

DeliciousCookie
Mar 4, 2011

Zain posted:

It is both better and the same in some aspects. It still has the terribad copy/paste corridors problem that LoI had, but it at least has a bit more variation in themes for the areas. However that doesn't mean it actually is much better. The combat in general was an improvement, but the grinding was a bit of an annoyance. Especially if I recall right you needed to steal certain items in order to make familiars or armor/weapons. And naturally the best stuff is stolen from bosses.

However, its biggest sin is no bloody dash/run button with its long as hell hallways.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Yo, welcome back tuh "Castlevania Lawds uh Shaduh". I love it. Your videos drip with the contempt and self-blame known only to the damned.

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Discendo Vox posted:

I gotta partly disagree with BMS. CoD's crafting system was really grindy, as was its main draw, a familiar summoning and growth system that involved branching evolutions. Some doors in the game are only opened by a single creature at the far corner of its tree, via an ongherwise useless ability. This translated to relentless xp grind. Crafting sometimes involved using items that could only be stolen from late game bosses, which was also annoying as hell. The breadth of equipment and combat choices removed the depth of LoI's straightforward combat system, and added all the troublesome elements you see in the worst IGA games.

The chair room was freaking great, though. Every game needs one.

Oh it's grindy as gently caress, absolutely. No argument from me on that one! And some of the bs dealing with the familiars was exactly that, BS. Considering you had to grind them all they way to a certain level, only to find that, like you say, it's a completely useless form, save for serving as a one time door opener. The idea is cool, but poor execution (reminds me of another CV game I'm playing.....). But yeah, as many flaws as LoI had, it's combat system was surprisingly sound for the type of game it was!

anilEhilated posted:

Probe 17 posted:

I've loved Malphas ever since DoS. He was really cool in that game too.

The design that LoS used for Malphas is really cool. The boss fight is just silly though. But, not to beat a dead horse here, BUT IT LOOKS PRETTY!...haha

Discendo Vox posted:

Yo, welcome back tuh "Castlevania Lawds uh Shaduh". I love it. Your videos drip with the contempt and self-blame known only to the damned.

Every video we record, I'm slowly examining this game deeper and deeper, and that's one rabbit hole my friend, that doesn't seem to end.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Edit: Double post.

Glazius fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Aug 13, 2014

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I don't really get the point of the Chupacabra sections. I mean, I understand taking your powers away but usually you're in a plotline or dungeon that focuses on just that and dealing with it.

Here, the game just drops in out of nowhere, does it, slaps its rear end at you, and runs off laughing.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I'm not complaining. It mixes up the honestly pretty repetitive gameplay a bit.

BMS posted:

Every video we record, I'm slowly examining this game deeper and deeper, and that's one rabbit hole my friend, that doesn't seem to end.
Not making fun of you, but I really love how quickly you went from "I really, REALLY enjoy this game" to "I have stared into the abyss and it is awful. :geno:"

Sgt Thud
Oct 14, 2012
Having to play something and actively analyze and explain it for an audience does wonders for making you spot every little flaw and quirk.

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
:siren:Update!:siren:

Chapter 4

The end of another short Chapter! Here we climb the Crow Witch's tower, deal with some tough new enemies, the Swordmasters, (Gabriel's reaction is quite shocking), and sequence break to grab an item...that the game won't let us use yet. Snazzy.

The fight with Malphas can be pretty tedious for a first time player, as it takes a bit to get the hang of grabbing the eggs she spits at you (Yeah, that makes sense, for some reason this segment reminds me of the first boss in Super Ghouls n' Ghosts). Toss two of the eggs back at her to stun her for a wonderful QTE, in which we somehow mount her, and make her bash her head into the tower....it's so silly it's pretty funny.

I do love the design of her though, especially the touch of having her swarmed by her smaller "children", really gives her a neat aesthetic. If only the boss fight itself was as interesting!

As far as the sequence break is concerned, this is one of the tougher ones to pull off due to the camera angle being a bastard, requiring you to do part of the move without being able to see what's going on. But I do show off the motions so you know WHAT I'm doing during those blind segments. There's a TON of things and events that you can skip with this trick (two complete boss fights are entirely skippable by jumping over an invisible wall like this.). Unfortunately here, the Holy Water upgrade we get doesn't do us any good, as the game won't let us use upgrades until we get the base item. Oh well, saves us from having to come back here after Chapter 8.

On a final note, call me crazy, but is it just me, or did the bridge in the last cutscene just pop out of nowhere? I could have sworn it wasn't there when we first got to the top of the tower. Plot Bridges are cool!

Glazius posted:

I don't really get the point of the Chupacabra sections. I mean, I understand taking your powers away but usually you're in a plotline or dungeon that focuses on just that and dealing with it.

Here, the game just drops in out of nowhere, does it, slaps its rear end at you, and runs off laughing.

I don't think they're supposed to make sense. The little bastard just out of the blue, with absolutely NO relevance to the story whatsoever, pops up, steals your poo poo, and spanks his rear end. The pure random factor could be a good thing, for a laugh or two, the first time. But later on, when it requires you to run through half the level to find this little bastard...the laughs are gone.

Cardiovorax posted:

I'm not complaining. It mixes up the honestly pretty repetitive gameplay a bit.

Not making fun of you, but I really love how quickly you went from "I really, REALLY enjoy this game" to "I have stared into the abyss and it is awful. :geno:"

I still like it! It's just...gently caress it's flawed. There is no denying that...haha. The story delivery is just horrid.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
It's not a bad game it just really feels like it is when you're playing it :v:

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)
Are you going to be playing the DLC on Paladin, BMS? I keep getting the urge to go back and try to beat it, but then remember that I'm not a masochist.

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Rick_Hunter posted:

Are you going to be playing the DLC on Paladin, BMS? I keep getting the urge to go back and try to beat it, but then remember that I'm not a masochist.

Yes sir. The DLC is...interesting...to say the least. Not so much for the actual content itself, which is quite boring mostly, but the reasoning behind it is!

BMS fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Aug 27, 2014

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Request the Gabriel-getting-electrocuted yelp in MP3 format to use as a message get tone.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I was honestly not terribly impressed by the Malphas boss fight. It's a crow. With a skull for a face, but still just a big crow. She doesn't even really do anything except slowly float around and occasionally vomit eggs at you. I know Lords of Shadow is all about doing things differently for the sake of doing things differently, but the Malphas fights in Symphony, Dawn and Ecclesia were simply more fun.

RSCNyx
Mar 6, 2013

Cardiovorax posted:

I was honestly not terribly impressed by the Malphas boss fight. It's a crow. With a skull for a face, but still just a big crow. She doesn't even really do anything except slowly float around and occasionally vomit eggs at you. I know Lords of Shadow is all about doing things differently for the sake of doing things differently, but the Malphas fights in Symphony, Dawn and Ecclesia were simply more fun.

At the least, it's better than the SotN version, where you could stunlock her in the corner and she would be unable to attack even once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Fairly sure she was a man.
Anyway, big crow or not, she's got style. I don't know if it's proportion, setting or just seeing it move, she somehow oozes stylishness beyond a simple skullcrow. Or maybe I'm just a sucker for birdbosses.
Eggthrowing also reminds me Soul Reaver so there's that.

• Locked thread