Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCWuEjXcZfo

quote:

The series is set 97 years after a devastating nuclear war. The only survivors were residents of space stations orbiting the earth. The space stations banded together to form a massive one called "The Ark". Resources are scarce and all crimes are punishable by death. 100 juvenile residents, convicted of what would have been relatively minor crimes and misdemeanors on pre-war Earth, are now considered "expendable" and are sent on a mission to test if Earth's surface has become habitable again.

Ever wanted to see the cast of a generic pretty people doing dumb things CW shows be brutally murdered by nature, mutants and each others in a post-nuclear war environment? That's the show for you!

If you missed the pilot, it's available on the CW's website. General reaction seems to be that the show's premise has a lot of potentials but the first episode was dragged down by just how dumb these kids are and the fact they are treating it like a weekend camping instead of landing on a post-apocalyptic hellhole where survival is all but guaranteed.

The preview for the upcoming season looks like it could be really good if they don't manage to screw this up.

The show also managed to do better than any other CW show this season in terms of ratings. Not just this season, in fact, but their record audience for a premiere since 2010. This is getting renewed for sure unless there is a massive drop in audience.

quote:

The CW’s new sci-fi drama The 100 got off to a solid start on Wednesday night, delivering more premiere viewers than any new CW show this season. The future-shock series, about a group of young troublemakers sent down to a radioactive and uninhabited Earth, opened to 2.6 million viewers and a 0.9 among adults 18-49. That performance built upon slightly its Arrow lead-in and greatly improved upon the average performance of The Tomorrow People in this time period (where it averages a 0.5 demo rating), though tied its series premiere in the demo.

Main Cast and Crew
The Ark

Counselor Kane

Councilwoman Dr. Griffin

Councilor Jaha

The 100

Clarke Griffin

Finn Griffin

Octvia

Bellamy

Upcoming episodes
2 - Earth Skills March 26, 2014
3 - Earth Kills April 2, 2014
4 - Murphy's Law April 9, 2014
5 - Twilight's Last Gleaming April 16, 2014
6 - His Sister's Keeper April 23, 2014

Twee as Fuck fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Mar 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

When the girl escaped from the giant eel with a tiny scratch on her leg I knew this was going to be Terra Nova 2.0

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
So was this any good at all? I DVR'd it but I'm skeptical that it's worth the time that I could be using doing other things like playing browser games or watching Agents of SHIELD or staring at the wall.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Just to move my complaining over here from the chat thread:

And is the plan seriously that the smaller group is going to actually bring food back? That's stupid. Unless there's a VTOL cargo plane at the facility, there's no way they can bring enough food back to last a worthwhile length of time for the whole group. They should've just said "Fine, we're going to the facility and staying there. Anyone who wants to come and have a definite meal instead of trying to be hunter/gatherers can follow us."

Also, since the origins of the Ark are supposed to be multinational, I don't get why the didn't just let Cusick be Scottish. Then they could at least point to one person and say "See! Not everyone in the future is American/Canadian!"

Lycus fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Mar 22, 2014

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

CODChimera posted:

When the girl escaped from the giant eel with a tiny scratch on her leg I knew this was going to be Terra Nova 2.0

Yeah I thought she was gone, but she ended up with a tiny scratch. I thought the guy who jumped after her would die, but nope and I was just rolling my eyes so hard

Then he took a massive spear to the chest and all is well :buddy:

XboxPants posted:

So was this any good at all? I DVR'd it but I'm skeptical that it's worth the time that I could be using doing other things like playing browser games or watching Agents of SHIELD or staring at the wall.

I'd say it's worth watching. Half of it was really crap, the rest alternated between ok to good enough. The only reason I'm watching at least three other episodes is because the previews for the rest of the season looked fantastic.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Twee as gently caress posted:

If you missed the pilot, it's available on the CW's website. General reaction seems to be that the show's premise has a lot of potentials but the first episode was dragged down by just how dumb these kids are and the fact they are treating it like a weekend camping instead of landing on a post-apocalyptic hellhole where survival is all but guaranteed.
That sucks. Does the action cut between stuff happening on the ground and stuff happening in space or is it all ground and the space-stuff in that trailer just a money-shot to sucker people in? A whole bunch of multi-national spaceships bolted together trying to keep a tenuous peace while making sure the vacumn doesn't kill them all is a series I'd watch, Lord of the Beverly Hillflies less so.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Pierson posted:

That sucks. Does the action cut between stuff happening on the ground and stuff happening in space or is it all ground and the space-stuff in that trailer just a money-shot to sucker people in? A whole bunch of multi-national spaceships bolted together trying to keep a tenuous peace while making sure the vacumn doesn't kill them all is a series I'd watch, Lord of the Beverly Hillflies less so.
It cuts back and forth, but what you get from the station scenes isn't as interesting as what you're expecting/describing.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

Lycus posted:

And is the plan seriously that the smaller group is going to actually bring food back?

These people threw themselves in a dark river after they just saw a mutated deer with two faces. Three of them removed their security harness after they had already entered atmosphere to float around in zero gravity.

Honestly the fact that about 97 of them are still alive instead of about 12 is a miracle.

quote:

Also, since the origins of the Ark are supposed to be multinational, I don't get why the didn't just let Cusick be Scottish. Then they could at least point to one person and say "See! Not everyone in the future American/Canadian!"

Scottish accent would have been way too hard to understand for your average CW viewer.

Pierson posted:

Pilot was about 50/50 and there seems to be big poo poo brewing up in space. I mean like the rest of human civilization is living there aside from those dumb kids so they can't exactly drop them and just concentrate on the 100 97

I'd still say it's worth watching as long as you're not superbusy, especially for the 'coming this season' trailer

Lycus posted:

It cuts back and forth, but what you get from the station scenes isn't as interesting as what you're expecting/describing.

True, but the fact that a purge has to begin soon means it's probably gonna get real interesting real soon.

BarbarousBertha
Aug 2, 2007

Lycus posted:

And is the plan seriously that the smaller group is going to actually bring food back? That's stupid. Unless there's a VTOL cargo plane at the facility, there's no way they can bring enough food back to last a worthwhile length of time for the whole group. They should've just said "Fine, we're going to the facility and staying there. Anyone who wants to come and have a definite meal instead of trying to be hunter/gatherers can follow us."

Also, since the origins of the Ark are supposed to be multinational, I don't get why the didn't just let Cusick be Scottish. Then they could at least point to one person and say "See! Not everyone in the future is American/Canadian!"

It seems like a century on a space station would be plenty of time for accents to homogenize. It only makes sense that English speaking North American is the default accent because it is a North American English language show. At least this way we are spared dozens of iterations of terrible fake Scottish accents to go along with Cusick's real one, as entertaining as that would be from a certain point of view.

And, yes, I think the plan was to bring back enough dry goods for a couple days, to tide them over and as proof that Mount Whatever is the place to be. Divvied up between the smaller group that wouldn't be too too bad assuming at least a portion is freeze-dried. Joke's on them if it's all canned.

Lolly Poopdeck
Oct 21, 2010

by zen death robot

XboxPants posted:

So was this any good at all?

For me it was unbearable but I don't think I exactly fit into the show's target demographic. The premise was just way too rushed, to the point where it was actually unnerving. It was like watching "Previously On..." to a TV show I had never seen. Then the kids started acting like they were in some DTV Twilight/Hunger Games knockoff. It was already bad enough but when "Radioactive" started playing I immediately had to shut it off.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Lolly Poopdeck posted:

For me it was unbearable but I don't think I exactly fit into the show's target demographic. The premise was just way too rushed, to the point where it was actually unnerving. It was like watching "Previously On..." to a TV show I had never seen. Then the kids started acting like they were in some DTV Twilight/Hunger Games knockoff. It was already bad enough but when "Radioactive" started playing I immediately had to shut it off.

The CW is almost exclusively for teenage girls. And guys that like stuff that teenage girls like. I'd be surprised if Radioactive wasn't played and the show had nothing to do with teenage relationships.

Smallville had one of their oldest casts and even that was more about relationships than superman fighting whoever.

Damiya
Jul 3, 2012
pilot was... so so. the little leg scratch after giant supereel just made me eyeroll super hard.

on the other hand cw is doing good work with their other shows and it is an interesting premise.

they also seem to be dealing with some potentially interesting plot points re governance and stuff and hint that it might be more than just a dumb teen drama, at least based on the preview, so I suppose it's worth sticking with a few episodes at least.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

In the future beautiful white people are not seen as a valuable resource.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
I'm disappointed that the intro didn't rhyme. They were so close to one.

"I was born in space, never felt the sun on my face. Or breathed real air, my skin so fair. Four score on this ark, but we dyin', that's dark." Drops Mic.

Damiya
Jul 3, 2012
much better than the pilot. definitely still a teen drama but felt a lot more grounded.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Yeah, I liked that even considering the circumstances, several of the teen characters made smart, rational decisions. Still a lot of really stupid "There are no rules!" and "I'm following you, even though I should be starving" ridiculousness, but thankfully that's confined to several idiots.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Watching this now and it's...OK. Not great. Typical teenybopper stuff, but the space parts are interesting. At this point I'll watch hoping that it'll get a Revolution style retool and focus away from CharlieClarke and the kids making horny eyes at each other.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

I'm weirded out by how the protagonist sounds (i.e. her voice) exactly like Nina Dobrev.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
10 minutes in & i have decided this show is worse than helix.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

10 minutes in & i have decided this show is worse than helix.

Yeah and it's not really getting any better.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Another interesting premise wasted. Goddamnit.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Lot of lens flare and blown out white levels in the past.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

So now it's suddenly a bottle episode.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Not expecting to actually see the knife go into his neck.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Oh right, she was fooling around with that guy.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Dag yo, didn't expect that ending.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It'll be interesting to see as the season goes if they're going to keep up with the actual character deaths.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

kdrudy posted:

Dag yo, didn't expect that ending.

:tviv: Haha, that was pretty unexpected.

Damiya
Jul 3, 2012

Shakugan posted:

I'm weirded out by how the protagonist sounds (i.e. her voice) exactly like Nina Dobrev.

holy poo poo. she does. it's surreal.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I'm sad you guys don't like this show cause I think it's really good :(

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot
I think this show is definitely salvageable. Priority number one is killing off/reducing the role of that blonde chick. She is unutterably dull and I lose interest any time she's on screen.

The B plot between the large hispanic(?) guy and the little girl was far more interesting to me. Also the psychopath from continuum could be a cool side character.

So far I haven't managed to work up the interest to bother learning anyone's name but I'll keep watching because I really think there is a decent show hidden under the dreck.

Ending was really good!

edit: Funniest part of the show is the dude who got impaled with a giant fuckoff spear surviving. WTF is in that seaweed? Wolverine's blood? :D

Bright Future fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Apr 3, 2014

Commandante
Oct 1, 2009

Gotta say. That ending made this series a lot more interesting to me. I was pretty much going to stop watching the show after the second episode, but then I decided to give it another go. I guess I'm glad I did because now I'm kind of invested in seeing where our budding murder machine goes.

Her little monologue at the end there made me think, "Oh yeah, Ok, HEEEREEE WE GOOOOOO!"

Also, the poster make a lot more sense now.

Commandante fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Apr 3, 2014

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
So what are we down to now, the 94? 2 in the pilot, 4 this episode? Glad that things are seeming a bit more tough going now. Jericho had a problem like that early on, where it took half the first season to really seem like they were living in a new world without any necessities.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

I am really enjoying this show - I can't believe they killed off Wells just like that. I mean, he and Clark did get their big talk and she's not mad at him anymore, but even after the neck stab I was figuring someone was going to appear and save him. NOPE.

Charlotte is messed up, but then, with her background? I'm not surprised she took Bellamy's advice literally. I hope they figure out it was her (but not before getting rid of the douchebag from Continuum).

I thought it was interesting that all the Ark scenes this episode were flashbacks. I guess fixing a hundred + year old space ship or whatever it is Finn's girlfriend and Clark's mom are doing isn't that interesting to watch. ;)

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

poo poo! People are actually dying?

Ela
Jan 10, 2011
Charlotte is pretty creepy.. cool how she uses the same technique as Clarke to kill though, coz of course she watched that happen. She had to know it would do the trick. Kinda had an feeling Wells was gonna die as soon as he and Clarke made up, that's just TV..

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Ela posted:

Charlotte is pretty creepy.. cool how she uses the same technique as Clarke to kill though, coz of course she watched that happen. She had to know it would do the trick.

I was getting Lizzie on Walking Dead vibes...yet another creepy blonde little girl serial killer.

This episode was a lot better. Pretty ballsy killing off a major character like that. You're getting the idea nobody is safe, which is good. They are making some really strong story choices. If they'd just balance out with more Ark scenes so it was like half and half and get deeper into the mystery of the "Grounders" that were left behind and what kind of civilization is left, it could be a great show.

I mean poo poo, between Henry Ian Cusick and Alessandro Juliani you've got some great actors up there...use them!

I'm definitely giving this more of a shot.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Easily the strongest episode of the three we've seen. I did not expect that ending though, god drat. I was surprised that the two made up so quickly, but I didn't expect that. This is a show on the CW, and it killed off two people in this episode who were each part of obvious love triangles before they were milked into the ground. That's pretty much untrod ground for the CW.

Pilli
Jul 3, 2011

Dogs have owners,
cats have staff

Astroman posted:

This episode was a lot better.

So much. I procrastinated watching it, as I had procrastinated watching the 2nd, because teen drama - who does that interest but teenagers? The first two were written by the same person, the third one by a duo of two other people (Wikipedia has the details), so that could be part of the explanation.

Wouldn't they strip death-sentenced people naked before dropping them out? I have no idea why/how they are clothed in modern garb, but I'm sure their kind of economy would love to save a pair of jeans and a matching top. :buddy:

Shakugan posted:

Easily the strongest episode of the three we've seen. I did not expect that ending though, god drat. I was surprised that the two made up so quickly, but I didn't expect that. This is a show on the CW, and it killed off two people in this episode who were each part of obvious love triangles before they were milked into the ground. That's pretty much untrod ground for the CW.

It truly felt like we were in LOST territory with the Wells' unexpected death. Meanwhile, elsewhere(s) on the Internet, people are screaming, "B... but they've killed the only black character who had lines! I'M SO OUT!" Wells' father warmly thanks them for having watched the show so closely.

I had given it 5 episodes before deciding, now I'm sold because that episode, despite being unrealistic on some points (seaweed found inland, anybody?) showed that the story and characters are finding their footing in a promising way. But with sci-fi and fantasy shows, the viewer has to give some leeway and learn to suspend disbelief more often than in "normal" shows. If you accept that a whole pointed-ears race does exist, that so many good looking people survived that horrible crash and could be lifted up by a cloud of smoke, that other planets are indeed inhabited with crazy creatures and that you can actually fly on a broom, what else is not going to be unlike what we live and experience as sheer humans on Earth? It goes with the theme. Bring the inland seaweed and guy who probably had a bad case of lung punctures getting miraculously cured with it, I'm in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax
The 100: I was born in space. I never felt the sun on my face :angel:

TheChad posted:

I think this show is definitely salvageable. Priority number one is killing off/reducing the role of that blonde chick.
:nyd:

• Locked thread