Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Pilli posted:

Wouldn't they strip death-sentenced people naked before dropping them out? I have no idea why/how they are clothed in modern garb, but I'm sure their kind of economy would love to save a pair of jeans and a matching top. :buddy:

I think that part falls under the protection of "its a TV show" kind of like how everyone has long hair that is perfectly maintained. Its more dramatic for the person to just walk into the airlock and be blown out of it when really if they were worried about air they'd empty the airlock first. And then the person would just suffocate and there'd be no reason to launch them into space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Teek posted:

So what are we down to now, the 94? 2 in the pilot, 4 this episode? Glad that things are seeming a bit more tough going now. Jericho had a problem like that early on, where it took half the first season to really seem like they were living in a new world without any necessities.

96? 2 in the pilot and 2 last ep.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
There's really 101, isn't there? Bellamy snuck onto the landing capsule thingy disguised as a guard.

2 died in the crash landing in the pilot.
4 died last episode - the two that got lost and got swallowed by the fog, along with Adam (Atom?) and Wells.

So there's like 95 guys.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
You guys are taking this way too literal

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

I'm not sure why their haircuts are even a sticking point to people. They have been living in a space station with modern amenities, including people who cut hair. And soap too.

MY IMMERSION - oh wait, it makes sense.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Rarity posted:

You guys are taking this way too literal

It's a time honored tradition in some shows. :colbert:

Astroman fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Apr 5, 2014

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

hollylolly posted:

I'm not sure why their haircuts are even a sticking point to people. They have been living in a space station with modern amenities, including people who cut hair. And soap too.

I think the biggest suspension of disbelief that one has to accept is that a) they didn't seem to design much in the way of redundancy for communication back to the station, particularly that they didn't make sure that the health monitors, which are magically still able to communicate back to the arc, were able to communicate, and b) that they are unable to determine the state of the earth from their space station. They seem relatively advanced technologically, surely they can point a few telescopes and radioactivity detectors at Earth and you know, realise almost immediately if the Earth is habitable or not.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

hollylolly posted:

The true litmus will be how pretty their hair is in a few more episodes.

Teek posted:

Yeah, I liked that even considering the circumstances, several of the teen characters made smart, rational decisions. Still a lot of really stupid "There are no rules!" and "I'm following you, even though I should be starving" ridiculousness, but thankfully that's confined to several idiots.

So I "get" this complaint, because I also wonder why CharlieClarke and company didn't just pack everything they could carry and peace out when they realized that 85% of the people who dropped with them were going tribal, but I'm pretty sure that if you somehow replicated this experiment with a bunch of juvenile delinquents in real life, you'd probably get something of a similar spread. Maybe it doesn't make for interesting TV, but hey, MY IMMERSION!

That said, they do need to tackle the food issue at some point. They've so far taken down one buffalo giant dog. If my Oregon Trail experience is any indication, that's not enough food for 90+ people. Even if you exclude the ones you don't like.

fake edit: Regarding the jerk from Continuum (name escapes me), am I the only one who enjoys watching him be an rear end on screen? Kinda sad that the preview looks like they're offing him.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Warmachine posted:

the mutant eel wasn't trying to attack Octavia, he was just ogling some college girl booty

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Warmachine posted:

So I "get" this complaint, because I also wonder why CharlieClarke and company didn't just pack everything they could carry and peace out when they realized that 85% of the people who dropped with them were going tribal, but I'm pretty sure that if you somehow replicated this experiment with a bunch of juvenile delinquents in real life, you'd probably get something of a similar spread. Maybe it doesn't make for interesting TV, but hey, MY IMMERSION!

That said, they do need to tackle the food issue at some point. They've so far taken down one buffalo giant dog. If my Oregon Trail experience is any indication, that's not enough food for 90+ people. Even if you exclude the ones you don't like.

fake edit: Regarding the jerk from Continuum (name escapes me), am I the only one who enjoys watching him be an rear end on screen? Kinda sad that the preview looks like they're offing him.

Oh yeah, Alex's brother. Dude is typecaset as Teenage Dick and it's great. Plus if they ever need to have someone play an older version, they cast the perfect guy for him on Continuum already. They won't need to.

I think they way it's being played is that CharlieClarke is conveniently never around when Mr. 101 acts extra douchey and Lords it up over the Flies. It's like Three's Company level hijinks.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Warmachine posted:

There was actually psychology study somewhat similar to the premise of the show:
http://www.age-of-the-sage.org/psychology/social/sherif_robbers_cave_experiment.html

Lord of the Flies wasn't far from the truth given the human instincts to identify with a group and also also gleefully take sometimes violent actions against people not part of the group.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Ok, I take my initial reaction back. This show is pretty drat raw :stare:

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
It's funny how no one has any loving idea how/what radiation does, despite them living in space were it would be a major problem any time the sun acted up.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

muscles like this? posted:

I think that part falls under the protection of "its a TV show" kind of like how everyone has long hair that is perfectly maintained. Its more dramatic for the person to just walk into the airlock and be blown out of it when really if they were worried about air they'd empty the airlock first. And then the person would just suffocate and there'd be no reason to launch them into space.

And recycle their remains.

This show is such a train-wreck but i cant turn away. "We're free bitches!" I was done thinking this would be a good show after that.

They do need to establish a black character amongst the teen though.

gohmak fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Apr 7, 2014

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
I'm disappointed that they killed the one black guy on the show. Now the only diversity they have is the korean guy.

Well, at least there's no more chance of racism in the future.

vvv: I have a feeling there'll be another attempt on the dad's life pretty soon.

Ravane fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Apr 8, 2014

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Ravane posted:

I'm disappointed that they killed the one black guy on the show. Now the only diversity they have is the korean guy.

You know his dad is still there, right?

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Rarity posted:

Ravane posted:

You know his dad is still there, right?

I see your point, but complaining about the lack of diversity in a shows cast while at the same time describing the characters of diversity as "the black guy" and "the korean guy" rather than using their names is, well...

Bellamy also isn't white.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Shakugan posted:

I see your point, but complaining about the lack of diversity in a shows cast while at the same time describing the characters of diversity as "the black guy" and "the korean guy" rather than using their names is, well...

Bellamy also isn't white.

Wells and Monty. I'm terrible at names, but I see your point. I don't think it's racist though. Black is a viable term, as is brown or white. If there were more than one black guy in the 100 kids, I'd be inclined to agree with you, but it's honestly the quickest and easiest way to identify a person, especially a minority.

Complaining about diversity is perfectly alright, in my opinion. Though it's not unrealistic to think that the small population that survived would be homogenous, I do feel that, unless it directly interferes with the plot, that every ethnicity should have some representation in a tv show. Especially a tv show produced in a country as diverse as America.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Ravane posted:

Wells and Monty. I'm terrible at names, but I see your point. I don't think it's racist though. Black is a viable term, as is brown or white. If there were more than one black guy in the 100 kids, I'd be inclined to agree with you, but it's honestly the quickest and easiest way to identify a person, especially a minority.

Complaining about diversity is perfectly alright, in my opinion. Though it's not unrealistic to think that the small population that survived would be homogenous, I do feel that, unless it directly interferes with the plot, that every ethnicity should have some representation in a tv show. Especially a tv show produced in a country as diverse as America.

But there IS more than one black kid in the hundred. They haven't given them all screen time.

See that guy there?

Also, Bellamy slept with a black girl. Also, also, this conversation is stupid and I feel stupider for having taken part in it. ;)

But just to set everyone's mind at ease regarding the diversity of the cast (why are you so dead set on the criminals having more black people among them, hmm?) maybe someone can screencap the board in the station that has the mugshots all over it. I haven't found it yet via google.

edit:

hollylolly fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Apr 8, 2014

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

hollylolly posted:

But there IS more than one black kid in the hundred. They haven't given them all screen time.

See that guy there?

Also, Bellamy slept with a black girl. Also, also, this conversation is stupid and I feel stupider for having taken part in it. ;)

But just to set everyone's mind at ease regarding the diversity of the cast (why are you so dead set on the criminals having more black people among them, hmm?) maybe someone can screencap the board in the station that has the mugshots all over it. I haven't found it yet via google.

edit:

Those aren't yet characters.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

hollylolly posted:

See that guy there?

huh, colour me wrong. And I didn't only mean more black people, I'd enjoy more asians (including Indians, middle easterners, etc). Some russians and siberians. Some italians, a french guy, an irish girl, etc.

Like the cast of Flight 29 Down had more diversity in the main cast and that was produced 12 years ago. Other shows have plenty of minorities in main roles, I just felt that this one should get on board.

Now if it were a post-apocolyptic show about Cyber-Hitler who's already ethnically cleansed the world except for Aryan archetypes, I would gladly tip my fedora towards the young blond haired, blue eyed actors. Honestly, this is a great show idea, I need to sell this to Hollywood. :cheeky:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Looks like they skipped a little bit of time.

Edit: This went all "Lord of the Flies" real quick.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

String up the little girl, that's a great idea.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

This show is pretty bleak. Random murders, little girls committing suicide, mass murder on the space station.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

This show is pretty bleak. Random murders, little girls committing suicide, mass murder on the space station.

I thought CW specialized in light hearted fun shows like Arrow.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Kwyndig posted:

String up the little girl, that's a great idea.

Well if The Walking Dead can do it.

Mexal
Oct 18, 2007

It is best to avoid the power of a ninja
I'm still interested in how they get food. Have they explained that yet beyond one small animal they caught in the first episode to feed 100 people? I figure they'd all be dead by now.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mexal posted:

I'm still interested in how they get food. Have they explained that yet beyond one small animal they caught in the first episode to feed 100 people? I figure they'd all be dead by now.

Last week's episode we saw them hunting so I think we're supposed to assume that that is helping. Also it seems like people aren't really doing so well seeing as there was that one guy who just collapsed while working.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I like how when the rear end in a top hat guy was saying they were cowards for wanting him dead and not wanting to kill the girl, no one yelled "It's because you are a dick." My immersion.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

This show is grim as hell by any standards. I actually like it, and the plot moves at a nice pace too.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It'll be interesting to see if they keep it so dark after the initial episode order is up, seeing how high the initial ratings were.

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!
I'm in. I thought this should could go either way based off the first two episodes. But the last two episodes have been solid. I'm finally starting to care about stuff on the Ark, too!

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
drat, Continuum guy peed on the black guy. What is this, a reverse R. Kelly?

I really like Jasper and the Korean guy. This show is turning out to be alright. I like the mechanic too; who is her boyfriend, again?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Ravane posted:

drat, Continuum guy peed on the black guy. What is this, a reverse R. Kelly?

I really like Jasper and the Korean guy. This show is turning out to be alright. I like the mechanic too; who is her boyfriend, again?

Finn, aka the dude who just had sex with Clarke, oops. Something I thought was funny about that sex scene is that I can't remember the last time a network show had a sex scene where the woman removes her bra.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Finn, aka the dude who just had sex with Clarke, oops. Something I thought was funny about that sex scene is that I can't remember the last time a network show had a sex scene where the woman removes her bra.

drat, totally a CW move. And yeah, it makes sense for her to remove her bra. I assume she's been wearing the same bra since she left the ark. Thing's getting musty.

And I don't think Raven plotted any coordinates for her journey. No idea how she's going to get near the 100 teens, seeing as the 100 team was already off by 20 miles. At this rate, with her random tumbling through the atmosphere, she's more likely to land in Mexico than she is Mt. Weather.

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!

Ravane posted:

And I don't think Raven plotted any coordinates for her journey. No idea how she's going to get near the 100 teens, seeing as the 100 team was already off by 20 miles. At this rate, with her random tumbling through the atmosphere, she's more likely to land in Mexico than she is Mt. Weather.

Raven will be backpacking through radiated wastelands alone for the next six seasons of the show.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Zypher posted:

Raven will be backpacking through radiated wastelands alone for the next six seasons of the show.

Preview: Clarke greets her in the pod

Didn't he take her bra off? I remarked to my husband that Finn was a pro because he got it off so fast. :lol: Regardless, yes, it's pretty unusual to go there as opposed to the usual bra on shenanigans of TV.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
Am I the only one bothered that the objects outside the station windows aren't spinning?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

gohmak posted:

Am I the only one bothered that the objects outside the station windows aren't spinning?

You're probably the only one who's noticed. I can't be bothered to worry about the consistency of space physics in a cheap CW show. It's not like I'm watching for the semi-realistic Raptor piloting. I'm watching to see how many failed attempts at controlling 80+ dumbass teenagers it takes Bellamy to realize that maybe, just maybe, they could do with some of the Ark's assholes on the ground with them. The previews suggest that I'll be chalking up another one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Warmachine posted:

I'm watching to see how many failed attempts at controlling 80+ dumbass teenagers it takes Bellamy to realize that maybe, just maybe, they could do with some of the Ark's assholes on the ground with them.

Can you blame him though? I mean, he comes from a society where literally every crime carries a death sentence and who imprisoned his sister for being a second child, I'd wait for something way more drastic then one or two stabbed teens and a failed lynching to invite the people who maintained that sort of society down.

• Locked thread