Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«30 »
Judas Priest
Jul 25, 2003
Breaking the law, breaking the law

Lost an absurdly well geared wizard. Gloves of worship (10 minute shrines), sun keeper with 28% to elites, SOJ with 28% to elites, and so much more. 73% to arcane damage.

With the gloves I was able to maintain archon for a huge chunk of time and absolutely blow through torment 1. Elites in a four player game lasted 1-2 seconds.

Didn't matter when I got vortexed into 7-8 molten explosions and blew up instantly. Unstable anomaly didn't save me.

RIP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip

Phuzun posted:

I want to steal your boots like a pair of Jordan's in the ghetto.

I would rather have Ice Climbers honestly. Those things are insane.

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

Wizards that run electrocute/frost orb/sparkflint, Elemental Exposure seems pretty dang awesome since that should be +15% damage to any affected mobs for everyone, especially on tougher fights where the familiar actually lands an attack (rarely happens on Normal since everything dies in about 1 second currently). Is this thing awesome, or is it best to use Cold-Blooded for the easy and fast guaranteed 10% without toggling attacks (which I do anyway)?

Unwavering Will seems real nice if you get frozen/jailed, but with as much moving around as I do, I just don't feel like it will have much uptime. Glass cannon seems risky to me without a lot of toughness to spare and, without some sort of circle around me, I feel like Audacity will put me in danger or I will be constantly out of range.

DrSeRRoD fucked around with this message at Mar 31, 2014 around 15:14

Freaksaus
Jun 12, 2007

Am I completely wrong in understanding how dual wielding works or would it not be better to have the higher dps weapon as your main hand?

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die

Judas Priest posted:

Lost an absurdly well geared wizard. Gloves of worship (10 minute shrines), sun keeper with 28% to elites, SOJ with 28% to elites, and so much more. 73% to arcane damage.

With the gloves I was able to maintain archon for a huge chunk of time and absolutely blow through torment 1. Elites in a four player game lasted 1-2 seconds.

Didn't matter when I got vortexed into 7-8 molten explosions and blew up instantly. Unstable anomaly didn't save me.

RIP.

I'm new to hardcore, and pretty new to d3 in general, but is it possible to link me your dead character's profile? I'm trying to check out a variety of builds and gearing strategies.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

Freaksaus posted:

Am I completely wrong in understanding how dual wielding works or would it not be better to have the higher dps weapon as your main hand?

Dunno, I thought it was just which one attacked first so I guess it would matter if it was the difference between me oneshotting a mob or not but that's not really the case in torment+. I could also be completely wrong because I don't really keep up with poo poo like that

Judas Priest
Jul 25, 2003

Andy Dufresne posted:

I'm new to hardcore, and pretty new to d3 in general, but is it possible to link me your dead character's profile? I'm trying to check out a variety of builds and gearing strategies.

Unfortunately not.

The basic idea is to use spectral blade (barrier blades) + arcane orbit. Add a moonlight ward if you can and stack arcane damage.

Now, this is the important part: get some area damage and wade right into the middle of mobs. Get yourself surrounded. Now mash arcane orbit. That will cause arcane orbit to explode in a HUGE radius around every enemy it touches, doing area damage with each enemy it hits.

Here's the build. The shields you generate + illusionist will let you teleport (calamity) and stun mobs while rarely losing hp.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculat...NOS!dhSi!YZccYc

xgp15a-ii
Jan 10, 2014

I was talking to my SC friend, gently trying to convince him that HC would be fun to play.

I told him, "HC is great, you get to really challenge yourself and progress upwards in difficulty and build really well-rounded, balanced characters where escapes and cc and toughness are worth as much as damage."

He replies, "Yeah but you can't push your character's limits. In SC you can really challenge yourself."

I politely changed the conversation to a different topic. What limit do you push in sc other than dmg stat and corpse runs? I don't get it...

Freaksaus
Jun 12, 2007

There was just a really big lagspike on the EU servers, I just saw a ton of streamers dying because of it.

So glad I only just got home or my monk would probably be among the dead.

Kaethela
Jul 29, 2012

shut up woman get on my horse

Freaksaus posted:

It doesn't matter which hand they're in since you alternate when you attack. The biggest thing to be careful of is making sure they're fairly close together in terms of DPS.

LTD
Sep 5, 2009

Freaksaus posted:

There was just a really big lagspike on the EU servers, I just saw a ton of streamers dying because of it.

It was very cunning of Bliz to allow servers run surprisingly fine for the first week; this way HC players drop their guard. They assume game is stable now. Mothballed heroes are awakened. new crusaders rolled. Streams opened. That is when you want to bring in the proper lag. So many souls lost.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

PLANES BITCHES!

Just 521 minutes left until I can check whether my WD is still alive or not, exciting!

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

I haven't noticed any problems with US battle.net, although my personal internet connection dropped briefly on Saturday, first time I think that's happened in the 3+ years I've had Uverse. Luckily I was in a relatively safe spot on normal difficulty at the time so I didn't lose my dude.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Freaksaus posted:

Had a big drop on US, but my lag meter was green for the whole duration, which was really weird.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

... at least we've got Aaron Rome!

What does your toughness reach, buffed? ~15m?

Kewpuh posted:

I would rather have Ice Climbers honestly. Those things are insane.

its kind of funny that the boots that let you run through mobs have a bonus to whirlwind which allows you to run through mobs anyways

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

Verviticus posted:

What does your toughness reach, buffed? ~15m?

its kind of funny that the boots that let you run through mobs have a bonus to whirlwind which allows you to run through mobs anyways

buffed with 25 stacks of rampage i get up to about 20m i think

Holyshoot
May 5, 2010

ufarn posted:

Had a big drop on US, but my lag meter was green for the whole duration, which was really weird.

Cox cable seems to be making GBS threads the bed with blizzard currently.

Minrad
Sep 26, 2007

He wants a much bigger lamp than the little ones I have.

Unless they changed something, whirlwind's damage is determined by your main hand's damage and not an average. I remember people with crit damage stat stick offhands with lovely damage rolls back in the 1.0 days of barb whirlwinding.

Billy Elliot
Jul 7, 2011

i <3 ponies

HE ON THE TOILET posted:

whos that sexy dude in the bottom left corner of the screen

I'm so glad I'm not a goofy looking streamer kid.

Freaksaus posted:

Losing a well geared character is never fun, rip

I've been putting away every piece of gear that I replace so that I always have a full set in my stash for when I die. That way I'll be able to get back pretty quickly. It might mean a few lesser Forgotten Souls but I'll tale that over several days of farming back up.

Talking about T1 though, how long did it take people to feel comfortable enough to handle it? I've slowly been increasing the difficulty while getting upgrades. I still get the occasional nasty health drop on Master so I don't really feel ready yet for Torment1. THis is with a 510k dps and 9.4 million dps Monk. I think I'll be fine if I switch my offhand to a shield but that would drop me about 100k dps.

Get back in it. 30 hours is nothing honestly. You'll be at the same (if not better) status by the time you input the same hours into a character. Happens every time.

Freaksaus posted:

Just about every spender uses your mainhand to calculate the damage. So while not the highest DPS you want the highest average damage irregardless of attack speed or overall DPS in your main hand.

xgp15a-ii posted:

I was talking to my SC friend, gently trying to convince him that HC would be fun to play.

I told him, "HC is great, you get to really challenge yourself and progress upwards in difficulty and build really well-rounded, balanced characters where escapes and cc and toughness are worth as much as damage."

He replies, "Yeah but you can't push your character's limits. In SC you can really challenge yourself."

I politely changed the conversation to a different topic. What limit do you push in sc other than dmg stat and corpse runs? I don't get it...

By "limits" he means start at the highest difficulty and work your way down until you only die every 30-60 minutes instead of every pack. Hardcore, you just do the opposite with a more balanced toughness/dps character that has to work their way up. But I would say a lot of hardcore players play it too safe.

I'm sitting at ~5-6M toughness on my WD and I don't use zombie dogs and I run right in the middle of packs to throw zombie bears at them and give zero fucks. It's just how comfortable you are at having your life hover in a 25%-50% state for long periods of time and avoiding damage.

Billy Elliot fucked around with this message at Mar 31, 2014 around 22:41

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

... at least we've got Aaron Rome!

Billy Elliot posted:

I'm so glad I'm not a goofy looking streamer kid.

Get back in it. 30 hours is nothing honestly. You'll be at the same (if not better) status by the time you input the same hours into a character. Happens every time.

Just about every spender uses your mainhand to calculate the damage. So while not the highest DPS you want the highest average damage irregardless of attack speed or overall DPS in your main hand.

By "limits" he means start at the highest difficulty and work your way down until you only die every 30-60 minutes instead of every pack. Hardcore, you just do the opposite with a more balanced toughness/dps character that has to work their way up. But I would say a lot of hardcore players play it too safe.

I'm sitting at ~5-6M toughness on my WD and I don't use zombie dogs and I run right in the middle of packs to throw zombie bears at them and give zero fucks. It's just how comfortable you are at having your life hover in a 25%-50% state for long periods of time and avoiding damage.

I quit playing maybe a couple days after kripp beat HC inferno and all I remembered is one mistake = instant death, like running into a line of bees or getting clubbed once by those stupid dudes at the end of A1, so I'm still conditioned to be a big baby.

Damage spikes seem way, way less scary now

Billy Elliot
Jul 7, 2011

i <3 ponies

Yeah considering that there is no more life steal and the game throws so much toughness (mainly because we get 80hp per vit) that you can stone foot a lot more. I wish torment was more spikey damage so people were directed towards running less glass cannon builds. It's super easy to gear up to be un-killable.

Take example to the guy who killed Malthael on Hardcore Torment 6. You think, THAT'S AWESOME... except it took him 3 hours to do it because he had 150k damage, likely no damage passives/skills and 50 million toughness. I even think he probably went overkill going into that fight and could have easily done it with something like 20-30 million.

deftest
May 7, 2011

Did I read somewhere that thorns is risky in HC? I just found the unique bracers that have a chance to deal 1k% thorns damage on being hit, but I'm scared it'll mean I can accidentally get one-shotted. Anybody know anything about this? Maybe it had something to do with reflect damage vs thorns?

THANKS!

Ryven
Sep 25, 2004

Can I get an invite on Ryven#1848

deftest
May 7, 2011

Also, woah. Just hit lvl 60 in adventure mode and the difficulty has spiked by a LOT. I played through on Hard for the most part after losing a guy in Expert mode. Suddenly even on just on Hard I can find myself in serious trouble.

Difficulty spike! Man.. may need to go back to Normal until I get some better gear

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013

deftest posted:

Did I read somewhere that thorns is risky in HC? I just found the unique bracers that have a chance to deal 1k% thorns damage on being hit, but I'm scared it'll mean I can accidentally get one-shotted. Anybody know anything about this? Maybe it had something to do with reflect damage vs thorns?

THANKS!

So far I've only heard from others that the thorns rune for the Crusader's ironskin might be bugged or something.
I don't think your bracers are going to get you killed. Though I could be wrong.

deftest posted:

Also, woah. Just hit lvl 60 in adventure mode and the difficulty has spiked by a LOT. I played through on Hard for the most part after losing a guy in Expert mode. Suddenly even on just on Hard I can find myself in serious trouble.

Difficulty spike! Man.. may need to go back to Normal until I get some better gear
From 60 to 70 I spent the entire time on normal difficulty as I barely replaced any of my gear until I hit the end. While every mob continues to get stronger I don't think you'll find loot fast enough to compete.

blindidiotgod
Jan 9, 2005
omglolhate

Lost a 66 Crusader to being a dumbass and not dropping the difficulty back down. RIP Drokker.

Thankfully, Drokker had a novice, who soon had another novice, with another novic- look I died like 6 times in rapid succession shut up.

But Drokker is again 63 and kicking rear end. Kinda awesome that I get to play the actual lore of a Crusader each time I gently caress up.

Holyshoot
May 5, 2010

Billy Elliot posted:

Yeah considering that there is no more life steal and the game throws so much toughness (mainly because we get 80hp per vit) that you can stone foot a lot more. I wish torment was more spikey damage so people were directed towards running less glass cannon builds. It's super easy to gear up to be un-killable.

Take example to the guy who killed Malthael on Hardcore Torment 6. You think, THAT'S AWESOME... except it took him 3 hours to do it because he had 150k damage, likely no damage passives/skills and 50 million toughness. I even think he probably went overkill going into that fight and could have easily done it with something like 20-30 million.

Ya... I am starting to feel like the only thing that would kill me now is a D/C or horrible lag. I'd go higher in torment but isn't that less efficient?

Xenthalon
Jun 28, 2010

blindidiotgod posted:

Kinda awesome that I get to play the actual lore of a Crusader each time I gently caress up.
This is the exact same thing I'll do with my hc crusader. Up until now, all my HC heroes had names like Pain, Suffering, Tears, Misery and so on... and I am slowly running out of those; I actually had to use a thesaurus lately.

TheRam
Jan 15, 2009

What do you mean 'no performing monkeys'?

The lag spikes are pretty nuts and brutal in HC, wish there was some kind of loss prevention for issues Blizzard know are on their side.

Also, I found something really awesome, not sure if people have seen it yet - it's a quirky Nephalem Rift thing.
Cuddle Bears and Unicorns http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owOEY6rpD5Q

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

I lost my first hardcore character last night since 2004 when I lost an Amazon to a suicide mob in the world stone chamber.

I was playing a 27 WD and was fighting Magda as my last bounty for the night (so probably rushing and not playing smartly). The game was set to expert, I was doing ~2200 dmg, and I had her down to a sliver of hp with spirit barrage when her adds came for me. I learned quickly that I should have killed the cultists before they mutated because the mutated forms laughed off my acid clouds. OH WELL IT WAS A LEARNING EXPERIENCE! I got right back in the saddle, leveled a new WD to ten, and now I just have to wait for a decent socketed weapon so I can stuff a marquis in it and continue on my rampage to 70.

Spoon Man
Mar 15, 2003

Wildtortilla posted:

now I just have to wait for a decent socketed weapon so I can stuff a marquis in it and continue on my rampage to 70.

Wait? Nah. Just craft a level 15 helmet and weapon and mystic a socket in there! All rare chests, helms, pants, shields, and weapons should be socketed between level 15 and 60!

Billy Elliot
Jul 7, 2011

i <3 ponies

TheRam posted:

The lag spikes are pretty nuts and brutal in HC, wish there was some kind of loss prevention for issues Blizzard know are on their side.

Except 99.9% of the problems are external ISP related and not Blizzard's fault. As of recent Blizzard said their ISP is getting DDOS attacks.

As far as I know, the only HC rollbacks done were when the bug that spawned you in a game without gear and that was a case by case basis. They don't even rollback when there's a mass server drop that has happened a few times. In the last 2 years I haven't heard any other rollbacks.

They used to account rollback if your account was compromised, but I'm not sure if they do it for hardcore anymore. I know people were exploiting this early on to get a free revive.

TheRam posted:

Also, I found something really awesome, not sure if people have seen it yet - it's a quirky Nephalem Rift thing.
Cuddle Bears and Unicorns http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owOEY6rpD5Q

That's just whimsyshire mobs. The tileset level they are on (non rift) is rainbows and includes unicorns. Its been in there since D3 release.

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

Latest upcoming Hotfixes:

Bounty bags now properly ignore Difficulty setting when opened. You can no longer get Imperial Gems or increased gold by opening them on a higher difficulty.

Drop rates for Mighty Belts and Quivers have been lowered to match other class-specific items.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Spoon Man posted:

Wait? Nah. Just craft a level 15 helmet and weapon and mystic a socket in there! All rare chests, helms, pants, shields, and weapons should be socketed between level 15 and 60!

Does enchanting a low level rare require a death's breath or any other hard to come by material? Please excuse my ignorance, I've been playing a level 70 barbarian until last night, and on him I haven't found anything I've wanted to enchant yet so I've mostly ignored enchanting.

Spoon Man
Mar 15, 2003

Wildtortilla posted:

Does enchanting a low level rare require a death's breath or any other hard to come by material? Please excuse my ignorance, I've been playing a level 70 barbarian until last night, and on him I haven't found anything I've wanted to enchant yet so I've mostly ignored enchanting.

Death's Breath is only used for 61+ items. Everything 60 and below uses the legacy crafting materials. At level 15, it's just a few blue/yellow level 1-60 mats and a few thousand gold to reroll. Some of your 60 gear will require demonic essences, but that's a very small window in the leveling process.

bad boys for life
Jun 6, 2003

Nothing happens to anybody which he is not fitted by nature to bear.

So has anyone completed the staff of herding since 2.0 in hardcore? Ive run the caverns of frost over 100 times (about 50/50 adventure and campaign) and have seen Chiltara spawn 0 times. I have every other piece.

Judas Priest
Jul 25, 2003

Fuuuuuuck. Level 70. Opened caches in torment 6, left for a few minutes, then completely forgot it was t6. Zoltun Kulle kicked my face in. Dammit.

RIP Beren.

Knightmare
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

bad boys for life posted:

So has anyone completed the staff of herding since 2.0 in hardcore? Ive run the caverns of frost over 100 times (about 50/50 adventure and campaign) and have seen Chiltara spawn 0 times. I have every other piece.

I think someone mentioned it was bugged in softcore but that's all I remember about it.

SelfOM
Jun 15, 2010

Someone I was with got one when farming the caverns for crafting mats. It took us a bit to get the part from the oasis, but we did eventually. I managed to get the eternal power core first shot in whimseyshire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GTJustin
Nov 24, 2010

SelfOM posted:

Someone I was with got one when farming the caverns for crafting mats. It took us a bit to get the part from the oasis, but we did eventually. I managed to get the eternal power core first shot in whimseyshire.

What difficulty did you get the eternal power core? I've been farming whimsy since Sunday anywhere from normal to expert from lv 40 to 70 and have not gotten a burger/spectrum, let alone any mats. 95% of the time I see evil oliver or the instakill pony, the 5% of the time I get a purple but no legendary drops.

«30 »