Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Nice to see NJPW have faith in AJ probably taking the belt...by burying it at the bottom of the card.

AJ Styles is terrible and I will be mad at pretendmanfights if he wins.

actually he's not terrible and is quite talented

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

AJ rules match is gonna rule

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I can't think of the last time I saw AJ as a threatening rear end in a top hat heel and not just a lol TNA heel.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I saw AJ work an indie match vs Chris Hero and it was a fun time, I'm interested to see how he does in NJPW.

I assume guys in general in TNA don't feel the need to give 110% anymore. Getting a new start would be exciting.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

triplexpac posted:

I saw AJ work an indie match vs Chris Hero and it was a fun time, I'm interested to see how he does in NJPW.

I assume guys in general in TNA don't feel the need to give 110% anymore. Getting a new start would be exciting.

Definitely agree. That match was great and it's always interesting to see what a guy who's been a TNA lifer can do when he's motivated. Even in TNA, AJ was pretty good as long as he was kept away from a mic or any kind of elaborate storyline.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

my only real concern with Styles in Japan is how long he can go before he gets tired of being away from his family on these tours

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

sportsgenius86 posted:

my only real concern with Styles in Japan is how long he can go before he gets tired of being away from his family on these tours

if gets a belt, they'll have him drop it and he can go home. I'd be surprised if NJPW gave him any poo poo over it because they've got guys on the roster that refuse to return the USA because of domestic commitments(Taka for instance)

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Styles was one of the few TNA wrestlers with an actual heavy workload comparable to a WWE schedule before they started cutting back on house shows. I'm sure he'll be able to handle the tours, because even though he is away for chunks of time, he won't be jetting off in a few days either.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I don't know if this goes here or in the TNA thread or what, but Global Force Wrestling signed Killer Elite Squad.

https://twitter.com/LanceHoyt

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

flashy_mcflash posted:

I don't know if this goes here or in the TNA thread or what, but Global Force Wrestling signed Killer Elite Squad.

https://twitter.com/LanceHoyt

he only signed Lance Hoyt.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Lance Hoyt rules. That's the first person I've seen Jarrett talk to that's actually worth the time

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

oatgan posted:

Lance Hoyt rules. That's the first person I've seen Jarrett talk to that's actually worth the time

He seems to have improved in Japan.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
why are the Gracies in muh Japanese pretendfightings

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

NickRoweFillea posted:

because Inoki is booking from the shadows like Vince Russo over in TNA

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.

NickRoweFillea posted:

Probably because Sakuraba

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
AJ Styles used to be so loving good, as a man who hasn't really seen him do poo poo consistently since 2007 how is he now?

Is he Christopher Daniels "I've been here too long and don't give a gently caress" good or Samoa Joe "I've been here for too long and don't give a gently caress" bad?

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Gonzo McFee posted:

AJ Styles used to be so loving good, as a man who hasn't really seen him do poo poo consistently since 2007 how is he now?

Is he Christopher Daniels "I've been here too long and don't give a gently caress" good or Samoa Joe "I've been here for too long and don't give a gently caress" bad?

His TNA work is the latter but now that he was back on the indie scene he was real good again but some dumb people blamed him for sloppy Styles Clashes that people hosed up taking

His actual matches are real good, check the MOTY thread for the ones worth watching after he departed TNA

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Yeah, he's been great in ROH and I'm sure he'll be out to impress considering that his first match is a main event against the world champ. My only concern is that I have a hard time seeing him matching Devitt as a promo and general character.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Thauros posted:

Yeah, he's been great in ROH and I'm sure he'll be out to impress considering that his first match is a main event against the world champ. My only concern is that I have a hard time seeing him matching Devitt as a promo and general character.

From what I understand though he won't be leading Bullet Club though so he won't be like shoehorned into Devitt's position

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

NickRoweFillea posted:

Because of some weird japanese metahumor I haven't grasped yet. Same with the NWA.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Yuriy posted:

His TNA work is the latter but now that he was back on the indie scene he was real good again but some dumb people blamed him for sloppy Styles Clashes that people hosed up taking

His actual matches are real good, check the MOTY thread for the ones worth watching after he departed TNA

The dude was still killing himself in his TNA matches, he definitely cared about his work.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I think some people just liked being down on AJ cause he was loyal to the shitfest that is TNA and he had some hilariously narrow minded views on gay people. Purely as an in-ring worker he is fine, especially considering how long he's been wrecking his body doing crazy matches.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

coconono posted:

Because of some weird japanese metahumor I haven't grasped yet. Same with the NWA.

I imagine it's like the British Indie scene. "Oh they've flown in an American?! This fed must be legit!"

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Gonzo McFee posted:

I imagine it's like the British Indie scene. "Oh they've flown in an American?! This fed must be legit!"

yeah but there's a kind of a wink and a nod to it. Almost like a "haha look at the goofy gaijin" gag or something.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
People are really loving paranoid about AJ joining the company. He's not taking the belt off Okada and he's not automatically getting Bullet Club leadership over Anderson.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Illinois Smith posted:

People are really loving paranoid about AJ joining the company. He's not taking the belt off Okada and he's not automatically getting Bullet Club leadership over Anderson.

He'll win it, go straight back to TNA and drop the belt to Willow.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Illinois Smith posted:

Meltzer has been prone to hint at stuff he knows but can't say and he was hinting that the belt was changing hands soon before AJ signed while also talking about AJ getting a big push that the fans might reject. Now that AJ has signed he's openly talking about the possibility AJ might win it (although not stating that is definitely the plan.) It sounds like it is a distinct possibility.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

MassRafTer posted:

Meltzer has been prone to hint at stuff he knows but can't say and he was hinting that the belt was changing hands soon before AJ signed while also talking about AJ getting a big push that the fans might reject. Now that AJ has signed he's openly talking about the possibility AJ might win it (although not stating that is definitely the plan.) It sounds like it is a distinct possibility.

I could see them running AJ against Naito to test the waters.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

AJ wins belt, Nakamura beats AJ later in year, Okada wins G1 to challenge Nakamura at the Dome. It's not exactly rocket science.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Semprini posted:

AJ wins belt, Nakamura beats AJ later in year, Okada wins G1 to challenge Nakamura at the Dome. It's not exactly rocket science.

That was what I was thinking after Meltzer's reference to Okada vs. Nakamura not being in the plans for "this title reign", but then why put the IC back on Shinsuke at Invasion Attack?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Thauros posted:

That was what I was thinking after Meltzer's reference to Okada vs. Nakamura not being in the plans for "this title reign", but then why put the IC back on Shinsuke at Invasion Attack?

Maybe so he could go into a potential title match as champion and do a champion vs champion match. If that scenario happens I'm guessing the G-1 will be for a shot at either belt.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

MassRafTer posted:

I think it's cool that NJPW has decided every major iPPV of the year will include a WMOTYC as well as at least one MOTYC.

So the Gracies are confirmed as being on every show then, yeah?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

for really selfish reasons, i really dont want styles to win the title just yet.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

John Cena posted:

for really selfish reasons, i really dont want styles to win the title just yet.

Yeah, I want to see Okada break the records for longest single reign and most defenses.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Jerusalem posted:

So the Gracies are confirmed as being on every show then, yeah?

Michael Tarver will be available when they are not. Elsewhere on the card The Most Improved Player will be having MOTYCs with Nakanishi.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Reminder that the Korakuen show on the Dontaku tour's tomorrow morning for the US and Europe.

Like most recent Korakuen cards, the start time's 18:30 JST/5:30 EDT/2:30 PDT/10:30 BST

quote:

Card
  • Jushin Thunder Liger, Tiger Mask IV & BUSHI vs. Ryusuke Taguchi, El Desperado & Mascara Dorada
  • TenCozy (Hiroyoshi Tenzan & Satoshi Kojima) vs. Manabu Nakanishi & Yohei Komatsu
  • CHAOS (Jado, Gedo, Toru Yano & Takashi Iizuka) vs. Suzuki-gun (Minoru Suzuki, Shelton "X" Benjamin, TAKA Michinoku & Taichi
  • Tetsuya Naito, KUSHIDA & Tomoaki Honma vs. CHAOS (Tomohiro Ishii, Yujiro Takahashi & YOSHI-HASHI)
  • Yuji Nagata & Captain New Japan vs. Hirooki Goto & Katsuyori Shibata
  • CHAOS (Shinsuke Nakamura, Rocky Romero & Alex Koslov) vs. Bullet Club (Bad Luck Fale, Matt Jackson & Nick Jackson)
  • Kazuchika Okada vs. Tama Tonga
  • Hiroshi Tanahashi & Togi Makabe vs. Bullet Club ("Machine Gun" Karl Anderson & Doc Gallows)
How to watch: iPPV on USTREAM ($15)

I wish this show had the elimination tag main the Osaka card's getting, but I'm looking forward to seeing Nakamura and the Hooligans team up. It's also kind of cool that they're bringing in a little more outside star power than they usually do for these shows, Mascara Dorada is really loving great and on this show despite not even being booked for the main Dontaku PPV.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Apr 19, 2014

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

I'm actually hoping they book Mascara Dorada more. Book him and La Sombra as a tag team please NJPW?

Biosys
Aug 13, 2011
Dunno if anyone else is watching atm, but holy poo poo, Honma over Ishii with a jumping tombstone.

After he picked up the belt and pointed at it a bunch so prob. Honma vs Ishii at Dontaku as well.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Biosys posted:

Dunno if anyone else is watching atm, but holy poo poo, Honma over Ishii with a jumping tombstone.

After he picked up the belt and pointed at it a bunch so prob. Honma vs Ishii at Dontaku as well.

totally forgot about the show, that sounds pretty darn cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

• Locked thread