Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Three snippets of good news:

quote:

We don’t know the name of the company, but New Japan is working on an idea of using the same iPPV company to handle its business that ROH is using.

quote:

There is a lot more mainstream recognition of the top stars here than in many years. Hiroshi Tanahashi, Shinsuke Nakamura and Kazuchika Okada all appear on television commercials. Yuji Nagata and Satoshi Kojima have endorsement deals for posters at Fast Food Chains. Togi Makabe does a regular five minute segment on the morning show (Think “The Today show” on NTV) and is something of a well-known public figure as the wrestler with the blond curly hair who eats junky food like cake and cookies with whipped cream.

quote:

Okada announced the establishment of “The Rainmaker Foundation,” a children’s cancer charity. He personally will donate $300 every time he wins a match using the rainmaker retroactive from the start of 2014.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Abrasive Obelisk posted:

It also apparently says that NJPW officals will be at Field of Honor for more scouting, and that Gedo and Jado want the ROH title defended at Wrestle Kingdom 9.
Yep. Sounds like they want to sub ROH into the spot where the NWA title used to be on big shows. Which would be a good move for all concerned, including the fans.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

quote:

Okada announced the establishment of “The Rainmaker Foundation,” a children’s cancer charity. He personally will donate $300 every time he wins a match using the rainmaker retroactive from the start of 2014.

Retroactively making AJ Styles even more of a heel!

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Dunbar posted:

Yep. Sounds like they want to sub ROH into the spot where the NWA title used to be on big shows. Which would be a good move for all concerned, including the fans.

Elgin's gotta be jazzed about that news after not being able to get booked for the G-1.

Abrasive Obelisk
May 2, 2013

I joined th
ROVPACK IN THE HOOUUUUSE!
:vince:
he still knows...

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Elgin's gotta be jazzed about that news after not being able to get booked for the G-1.

Assuming he still has the title by then...

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
What does this mean for Bruce Tharpe and the NWA?

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
Maria is gonna win the ROH Title.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

quote:

Togi Makabe does a regular five minute segment on the morning show

Togi Makabe, Financial Guru or Consumer Advocate. Book it. Make him the Japanese Clark Howard.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:

Bigass Moth posted:

Unless something has changed recently (since the weekend), they'll be back

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
I'm probably having a memory lapse because of all the bad poo poo happening these last few days, but were there star ratings for the G1 Finals released?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

KungFu Grip posted:

I'm probably having a memory lapse because of all the bad poo poo happening these last few days, but were there star ratings for the G1 Finals released?

main event got 4.75, tanahashi/aj got 4.25, goto/shibata got 4, iwgp jr tag titles got 3.75

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Thauros posted:

Well, guess who is going to be my toxx charity every time now.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

You know how Japan can have new fans now? Age gaps. Wrestling was hot -- SUUPER HOT -- through the bubble '80s and those fans became moneyed 30- and 40-something's in the '90s and 00s. And then wrestling lost popularity -- to MMA and then just in general -- and the older generations have fallen away.

When I mentioned it to my teachers, who are in their 40s and 50s, they all knew 80s stars -- Jumbo Tsuruta, maybe Misawa, and more. I never asked about Muta, Chono, and the later stars. But you know what? Younger kids are picking it up again. My junior high kids are watching New Japan. I saw a woman in Shibuya wearing the black "KING OF STRONG STYLE" on the street. I'll go to a show soon and report demos, but it seems to skew younger and be more woman-friendly than in the past.

It's a whole new generation of fans. Proof that Jado and Gedo know what they're doing, so gently caress YOU.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

ChampRamp posted:

Unless something has changed recently (since the weekend), they'll be back

Yeah, if nothing else Tenzan and Kojima are still NWA tag champs.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Bigass Moth posted:

#JoinTheForce

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

harperdc posted:

You know how Japan can have new fans now? Age gaps. Wrestling was hot -- SUUPER HOT -- through the bubble '80s and those fans became moneyed 30- and 40-something's in the '90s and 00s. And then wrestling lost popularity -- to MMA and then just in general -- and the older generations have fallen away.

When I mentioned it to my teachers, who are in their 40s and 50s, they all knew 80s stars -- Jumbo Tsuruta, maybe Misawa, and more. I never asked about Muta, Chono, and the later stars. But you know what? Younger kids are picking it up again. My junior high kids are watching New Japan. I saw a woman in Shibuya wearing the black "KING OF STRONG STYLE" on the street. I'll go to a show soon and report demos, but it seems to skew younger and be more woman-friendly than in the past.

It's a whole new generation of fans. Proof that Jado and Gedo know what they're doing, so gently caress YOU.

I read an excerpt from Tanahashi's book where he talked about modifying his move set to make it appeal to a casual and female audience, so it seems like there is a concerted effort within NJPW to appeal to that demographic.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

KungFu Grip posted:

Complete list of Melter's 4+ star matches from the G1

Day 1 - Hokkaido on 7/21
Tanahashi vs. Honma ****1/4
Shibata vs. Nakamura ****1/2
Okada vs. Styles ****1/2

Day 2 - Aomori on 7/23
Nagata vs. Honma ****

Day 4 - Akita on 7/26
Ishii vs. Honma ****1/4
Nakamura vs. Nagata ****1/2
Naito vs. Styles ****1/2
Anderson vs. Okada ****
Tanahashi vs. Shibata ****1/2

Day 5 - Sendai on 7/28
Shibata vs. Benjamin ****
Naito vs. Okada ****1/4

Day 6 - Hamamatsu on 7/31
Tanahashi vs. Ishii - ****1/2

Day 7 - Korakuen Hall on 8/1
Tenzan vs. Goto ****1/2
Makabe vs. Naito ****1/4
Styles vs. Suzuki ****3/4
Nagata vs. Shibata ****1/2
Nakamura vs. Ishii ****3/4

Day 8 - Osaka on 8/3
Ishii vs. DBS jr ****1/4
Goto vs. Naito ****1/4
Suzuki vs. Makabe ****
Shibata vs. Honma ****3/4
Nakamura vs. Tanahashi ****1/2

Day 9 - Aichi on 8/4
Okada vs. Goto ****1/2

Day 11 - Yokohama on 8/8
Anderson vs. Naito ****
Ishii vs. Nagata **** 1/2
Styles vs. Makabe ****
Okada vs. Suzuki ****1/2

Finals - Seibu Dome on 8/10
Shibata vs. Goto ****
Tanahashi vs. Styles ****1/4
Okada vs. Nakamura ****3/4

All shows had at least one 4 star match except for Day 3 which he never rated amd Day 10 which was regarded by most to be the weakest day of the tourney.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Dimebags Brain posted:

I read an excerpt from Tanahashi's book where he talked about modifying his move set to make it appeal to a casual and female audience, so it seems like there is a concerted effort within NJPW to appeal to that demographic.

Now I'm trying to think of moves that would appeal to a female audience

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Ishii/Anderson from the finals was probably my personal fave of the night. Great story.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

triplexpac posted:

Big Wiggle, Big Package, Money Shot, etc.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

triplexpac posted:

http://yottsumepuroresu.blogspot.com/2014/05/njpw-hiroshi-tanahashi-talks-about-his.html

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

C. Everett Koop posted:

Togi Makabe, Financial Guru or Consumer Advocate. Book it. Make him the Japanese Clark Howard.

Togi Makabe has his own eclair because he wants to find a profitable and delicious way to plan for his retirement.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

Togi Makabe has his own eclair because he wants to find a profitable and delicious way to plan for his retirement.

Pretty sure it's just cross-promotion with another existing brand but yeah, it's smart from him to have a "brand" outside of his wrestling. Recently I saw Swagsuke Nakamura on a TV quiz show (one of the regularly running ones - Q-sama for those who know) and other talents and teammates were doing his hand sign along with him from time to time. It was really funny.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

quote:

Braaaaaainsavaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa~!

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

That's amazing, but could also be used for some HOGAN-ESQUE politicking.

"Oh, Jado & Gedo, you're having me job? WELL I GUESS YOU HATE KIDS WITH CANCER."

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

That's amazing, but could also be used for some HOGAN-ESQUE politicking.

"Oh, Jado & Gedo, you're having me job? WELL I GUESS YOU HATE KIDS WITH CANCER."

or he goes Ric Flair bonkers and wanders the streets of Osaka with a ref and toe.

Dr. Zoggle
Aug 12, 2006
Go Blue!

Been catching up on random NJ shows from earlier this year. Why does Iizuka keep attacking the announcer?

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

zrrgin posted:

Been catching up on random NJ shows from earlier this year. Why does Iizuka keep attacking the announcer?
because

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

zrrgin posted:

Iizuka is a crazy homeless person. He probably thinks the announcer is korean or something.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
I'm just now watching the G1 Finals and I'm really disappointed that no one commented on this exchange after Jarrett ran in to save Tanahashi, before the swerve.

Jarrett: "WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!"

Styles: "I'm wrestling!"

Jarrett: "That's not wrestling!"

Styles: "... That's how we do it in Japan!"

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Hahah that's just too sweet

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

zrrgin posted:

The one announcer is a big fan of Yuji Nagata. Iizuka has a deep hatred against Nagata because he's the one that drove him insane when they were tag partners or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Zoggle
Aug 12, 2006
Go Blue!

KungFu Grip posted:

The one announcer is a big fan of Yuji Nagata. Iizuka has a deep hatred against Nagata because he's the one that drove him insane when they were tag partners or something.

Oh, that would explain him doing the Nagata salute! Thanks

• Locked thread