Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
The last time a gaijin won the IWGP belt quickly it didn't work out too well, NJPW better have a backup plan (assuming they're doing an AJ reign in the first place).

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Mar 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

triplexpac posted:

Finally got around to watching the New Japan Cup finals. Fale isn't a great wrestler, but wow did breaking Nakamura's nose add a bunch of drama to that match. My wife got super into it by the end, Nakamura is her new favourite wrestler.

Naturally. You might lose your wife to to the Supernova there, dude.

So does Nakamura finally beat Tanahashi this time?

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Mar 30, 2014

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I actually have no idea who the next IWGP champ is going to be, and it's because they've done a good job of making a bunch of different guys look worthy to be the next guy. That's how it oughta be.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

weekly font posted:

I want an AJ/Danshoku Dino match while he's in Japan thanks.

Why do you want Dino to die? Does he owe you money?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Nakamura vs Okada down the line is gonna be awesome.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Solomonic posted:

I've been watching a bunch of my dvds from the mid-2000's (Chono is still taking up space on the card and Brock Lesnar just showed up, to give you an idea of the time frame) and the transformation Shinsuke's made since then is fuckin remarkable. He was a good wrestler but he was basically the most generic man in the world, like a Japanese version of the "Firstname Lastname wants to win at wrestling" thing we joke about with WWE. It's really impressive how much more entertaining he's become since his early days.

Funnily enough, his wiki article credits the transformation to Chono. Shinsuke Nakamura: Chono if he could work.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

John Cena posted:

nakanishi comes to mind pretty quickly

I thought Nakanishi had improved a bunch by the time he got to the title scene?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Thauros posted:

Both Ishii vs. Naito III and Tanahashi vs. Nakamura III were rated ****1/2, pretty accurate IMO.

I was disappointed in seeing empty seats after a good early advance, but Dave actually sees the attendance as a positive and not a negative:

More buildup to Okada vs. Nakamura that was new to me:

Who if anyone do you guys see as playing face and heel roles in that matchup? They're both super over tweeners/ultra cool heels/whatever.

Well, those comments seem pretty drat heelish.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Germansimp posted:

Seeing Nakamura being unable to stand still at all reminds me that I desperately want to see Nakamura vs Ambrose, though I'm not sure any ring would be able to contain that much Swag/Sleaze.

That would probably be a drat good match. They'd have to burn the ring afterwards, though.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

oatgan posted:

Lance Hoyt rules. That's the first person I've seen Jarrett talk to that's actually worth the time

He seems to have improved in Japan.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

epitasis posted:

I don't get it what about that gif

Goto's big move is a backdrop suplex, I believe.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
His back looks like a road map.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Fujinami was a huge star in the Jr. division before elevating up to the heavyweights. Also, Ohtani did okay making the transition.

That said, you obviously have to be a great talent, because Ohtani is the worst wrestler between him, Misawa and Fujinami, and he's no slouch.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

AfterFather posted:

Who are the up and coming Juniors in NJPW/Japan right now? Seems like there are more Foreigners in the junior division now.

For NJPW: Well, the champ is Kota Ibushi, and he's loving spectacular. There's also Ryusuke Taguchi, who is pretty solid, and Kushida who is also good and has a tag team with Alex Shelley called Time Splitters. They also seem to be using the Young Bucks as singles sometimes. There's also TAICHI, who does a pretty boy gimmick and was TAKA's tag partner up until TAKA departing. He's not so great, but he gets heat. There's also Desperado, who seems quite good and was on a learning excursion in Mexico. He wears a cool mask. Up until recently there was also Prince Devitt. Past that, it's a lot of the guys who have been there for a while: Liger, Jado and Gedo, Rocky Romero etc.

Japan in general doesn't seem to have as much Jr. talent as it once did. Dragon Gate has a wealth of guys who are VERY good, though. Akira Tozawa, the Jimmyz (Susumu Mochizuki, KAGEtora,and Yasushi Kanda all going by the name, "Jimmy"), and Ryo Saito.

There's also Makoto Oishi, who I think can be a big star if he gets the stage to work on. He's a DDT talent. DDT is a very fun promotion if you're not already familiar. Think Chikara, but funnier and with considerably better homegrown talent.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Apr 20, 2014

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Thauros posted:

I've only owned one wrestling t-shirt in my lifetime (Generico OBEY parody) but I'm tempted to change that with Yottsume's assistance:

Holy crap, I am on board for one too. Please, any link you can provide will be helpful. YEAOH!

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Thauros posted:

https://twitter.com/puro_yottsume/status/461255797561765888

Here's Yottsume tweeting about it, easiest way to get one is to just tell him you want it and arrange the details with him. He's been shipping a lot of merch lately to western puro nerds.

Do I have to DM him? How does it work?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I sent an e-mail, as I'd rather not sign up for twitter just to buy a t-shirt. Thanks for the assist.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Now I'm wondering if AJPW has tried anything similar, they must be fairly desperate, at this point.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Tonfa posted:

Who's going to be Styles's first defense in NJPW? Having Okada get beaten twice consecutively would be stupid so I imagine he's busy with Yujiro. Shibata challenged Tanahashi to a match. Goto probably shouldn't be losing a title match every month. Makabe? Suzuki and Naito are possibilities too but they got no push from this PPV which is usually not how NJPW does it.

I want Styles vs Tanaka.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

oatgan posted:

Karl Anderson should be a main eventer

I hope he wins G-1 this year.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I am so full of :canada: pride looking at these pics.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
He'd probably make some money if he did. He's sending me the Nakamura shirt and a Suzuki-gun shirt.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

NickRoweFillea posted:

Ok so a friend of mine thinks that wrestling is cool and I want to get him a primer on NJPW. What would you, the NJPW general discussion thread, consider the most relevant and awesome matches of the last year or so. I already know I've gotta show him Naito/Ishii.

Also I'm gonna email Yottsume and see if he wants an account

Any of Tanahashi vs Okada's matches, Tanahashi vs Nakamura, Gedo vs Prince Devitt, Ibushi vs Suzuki from the G-1 tourney, Ibushi vs Nakamura from the G-1 Tourney, and Karl Anderson vs Okada should be a good start.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

That belt would be fine.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
If they're not gonna put the strap back on Okada, they should do Nakamura vs Styles.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

oatgan posted:

Bullet Club should have all the belts

I'd be cool with Karl Anderson as IC champ, rather than Fale.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
If an NJPW guy is WOTY, it's Ishii or Ibushi.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

epitasis posted:

We'll see who's truly better when Styles and Yujiro face off against Ishii and Okada at Dominion!! I hope Yujiro goes Full Gaijin and drops gratuitous f-bombs.

That match has assloads of potential, Takahashi is the worst of the 4 and he's quite competent.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
For those wanting a Bullet Club shirt http://tinyurl.com/pxdatfm

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Thauros posted:

Omega/Taguchi got ****, Omege/Desperado ***3/4. Those were the top two rated matches and deservedly so IMO, although I'd have given both an even 4.

Dave's take on the Taichi thing:

Sounds like Karl's got a gig similar to Steve Corino did in Z-1: Upper midcard gaijin heel, and foreign talent liaison.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

sportsgenius86 posted:

I wonder who else they're looking at US wise. I'm guessing it's not anyone from ROH or they would've tried them out with Cole and Elgin.

Maybe Brian Cage?

A shame Andrew Everett got hurt so seriously, I think NJPW would have taken to him in a big way.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

maxallen posted:

It may not have been planned, but I'm pretty sure if Vince was in charge, Taichi would have done nothing but jobs.

Hey remember when it became public knowledge that Edge cheated on his wife with Lita? It strapped a rocket to his butt.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

John Cena posted:

cheeseburger apparently has an invitation to the njpw dojo

From co-hosting the first Kevin Steen Show episode to this, heady days

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Thauros posted:

what the hell? Good for him and that video of him with Liger was cute but that's the last guy I'd have expected.

He works hard and they like him, I guess.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Is there any possibility of him getting a deal similar to Kota's?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

harperdc posted:

The way I've seen a few people report it here is to look at it as Akiyama taking over AJPW more than "forming a new fed with the same name," for whatever that's worth. There's also some completely unfounded optimism for whatever reason too.

Probably a "well, he can't be worse than the billionaire with no clue how to run a wrestling company" thought process.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

schweens posted:

Do we know what ROH talent to expect? I figure Adam Cole is close to guaranteed

The enigma known as Cheeseburger, perhaps.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

Seeing as the last two G-1 winners lost their IWGP Heavyweight shot I'm gonna guess Goto.

If not Goto, then maybe Karl Anderson.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

:colbert:

God, Tenzan is awful.

It's sad because he used to be pretty solid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Biosys posted:

From yottsume's twitter.

Edge had cervical spinal stenosis, which, from the vast medical knowledge I got from reading a wikipedia article, seems to be far more dangerous than the lumbar version.

So Jado has a better shot at coming back than Edge at least, although even then he probably shouldn't.

Just focus on booking. That way, even in retirement, Gedo and Jado can be cool. Gedo as Okada's hypeman, Jado runnin' thangs, good times.

• Locked thread