Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Biosys
Aug 13, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Kb-8efgYjY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biosys
Aug 13, 2011
When did Kushida challenge for the NEVER title, was it post-match and I just missed it or?

Biosys
Aug 13, 2011
Tenzan is working really hurt which is why he's been kinda awful for a while now, dude has major neck problems from what I remember but won't/can't take a break.

EDIT: Was he one of the dudes who dropped out of the G1 last year with injuries or?

Biosys fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Apr 10, 2014

Biosys
Aug 13, 2011
Dunno if anyone else is watching atm, but holy poo poo, Honma over Ishii with a jumping tombstone.

After he picked up the belt and pointed at it a bunch so prob. Honma vs Ishii at Dontaku as well.

Biosys
Aug 13, 2011
Wasn't expecting much but that was a really good show, huh.

Honma/Ishii (if it happens) should be p. great.

Biosys
Aug 13, 2011

coconono posted:

utilize and Tiger Mask IV have a very dubious relationship.

Going through the Taiwan show now, the craziest thing to me is there's actually a chant for Tiger Mask during their match.

Although that might just be more Liger chants.

It was probably that.

Biosys
Aug 13, 2011
New excerpt from Tanahashi's book translated by yottsume, talking about strong style and NJPW having to change, really interesting:

http://yottsumepuroresu.blogspot.co.uk/2014/05/njpw-hiroshi-tanahashi-talks-about.html

Also ordered one of the NJPW x Hello Kitty shirts through yottsume, hella excited.

Biosys
Aug 13, 2011
Last excerpt from the Tanahashi book, talking about his rivals:

http://yottsumepuroresu.blogspot.co.uk/2014/05/njpw-hiroshi-tanahashi-talks-about-his_22.html

quote:

One thing that Okada lacks is an irresistible body that people could tell by first glance that he is a pro-wrestler. This is what makes pro-wrestler different from other athletes, and I think that all wrestler should aim for building such body. When Okada attains this, he will be second to none.

quote:

Shibata has always turned down what the company brought to him saying, "I'm not interested” but when you ask him what he wants to do, he never came up with an actual plan. There’s no way the fans would support him, and Shibata himself would eventually reach a dead-end. That’s why I refuted, “Shibata is like a junior high student who has just entered his rebellious age. Pro-wrestling is a brawl? Killing? Then why are you wrestling in the first place!”

The part about Tensai is really interesting also, I wasn't watching New Japan when he was there, having only seen his stuff in WWE it's weird that Tanahashi seems to think so highly of him. Should probably watch that match.

Biosys fucked around with this message at 22:58 on May 22, 2014

Biosys
Aug 13, 2011
Give Goto the belt.

Any belt.

Any at all.

Biosys
Aug 13, 2011

Goto vs Ishii would be a reallyyyyy good match.

I'm sure it's already happened but I haven't seen it so they need to do it again.

Biosys
Aug 13, 2011
I remember the Fale/Naito match being much better than I expected, but yeah that may have just been cause of the shocking finish.

Naito is amazing and they have a proper match instead of just a round in a tournament so I think it could end being pretty good.

Thanks for the links!

That thumbnail alone looks great so looking forward to watching these.

Biosys
Aug 13, 2011
More yottsume translation, this time for a interview Shibata did for the NJPW website, talking about Tanahashi:

http://yottsumepuroresu.blogspot.co.uk/2014/05/njpw-katsuyori-shibata-talks-about-his.html

I really really really need to see this feud start properly now.

Biosys
Aug 13, 2011

Flameingblack posted:

Ibushi is one of the most misleading wrestlers. He looks like a skinny, flippy guy (Which he is) but he's also strong enough to lift up guys that are probably 100 pounds heavier than him for Last Rider powerbombs, and he can actually "shoot fight" just as good as anyone who isn't KENTA or Shibata. Ibushi's match against Daisuke Sekimoto is still one of my favorite matches of all time.

I'm glad Ibushi's able to glow in New Japan, he definitely worked hard and deserves it.

I hope he signs full time with NJPW or figures out someway of better splitting up his time, he already dropped out of the BOTSJ due to exhaustion, I doubt it's gonna get much better.

That Ishii match was amazinggg though.

Biosys
Aug 13, 2011

epitasis posted:

At least the Gracies feud appears to be done. I agree that the crowd at Yokohama sounded pretty hot despite the gate. Honestly I think the company is overreacting to that show's performance perhaps because they actually think they booked a good card? The card was poo poo outside of Ishii/Ibushi and the Tana tag - I mean I was interested in the title match despite knowing the finish because I know Styles is an incredible worker but I wouldn't expect Japanese crowds to know that. I guess I'm also not as down on Fale as most of y'all.

Edit: Are Ricochet and Kenny Omega the only outsiders in the BOSJ (I guess TAKA, technically)? I wouldn't have minded getting introduced to some new guys instead of Tiger Mask who appears to be a jobber with a legacy gimmick and Taguchi. Even like Marufuji or something I dunno obviously I'm not expert.

Mascara Dorada is in as well, I remember his match at Fantasticamania being amazing (and I think he's only been in multi-man openers since then???), so looking forward to more singles with him.

I remember seeing the only reason they were even in the Yokohama arena was that Bushiroad had the venue booked for a event and they just decided to book two days, which is prob. why the card wasn't really a worth putting in such a big venue, as they likely didn't plan for it.

Biosys
Aug 13, 2011

MassRafTer posted:

They announced the show on January 4th, they had plenty of time to plan.

Oh huh, fair enough, I guess it was just bad planning then.

triplexpac posted:

He's doing great in my TEW game, so I'm looking forward to seeing him in action haha.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V77Ayqqh5dY

This is the match I was thinking of, haven't seen it in a while but I remember it being really really good.

Biosys
Aug 13, 2011

ChampRamp posted:

Are you Hiroshi Tanahashi?

There's only one way to tell.

Tokyo Slutty Gal, what is your opinion of Shibata?

Biosys
Aug 13, 2011
No Kenny in the finals makes me sad, especially with Taguchi in there.

With both Romero and Kenny out I hope Kushida wins the whole thing, he's great and a Kushida/Ibushi match (hopefully feud) should also be great.

Biosys
Aug 13, 2011

MA KA BE

Biosys
Aug 13, 2011
Tama Tonga does a really good splash in the corner so as long as Naito stays there that match should be okay.

Actually thinking about it, he had a decent (although short) match with Okada a few shows back so it may be better than okay.

Biosys
Aug 13, 2011
Goto needs to join the Bullet Club.

Then he can actually get a belt.

Although this probably means he'd have to turn on Shibata and that's p. much a death sentence.

Biosys
Aug 13, 2011
http://yottsumepuroresu.blogspot.co.uk/2014/06/shinsuke-nakamura-on-his-work-ethics.html

Feels weird posting this right after yottsume posts, but here's a translated interview with Shinsuke Nakumura talking about changes in NJPW, match orders etc.

Nakumura (Business Version)

Nakumura (Surfing Version)

Biosys fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jun 17, 2014

Biosys
Aug 13, 2011
Block A is better, but getting to see Styles vs Naito, Goto and Suzuki makes Block B pretty close.

Hopefully those matches aren't filled with Bullet Club interference but they probably will be :(

Also from twitter it seems that http://prowrestlingtees.com/ (ran by the onehourtees guys) will be selling official NJPW merch from next week, so that's cool.

Biosys
Aug 13, 2011

@yottsume posted:

@voiceswrestling He'll be taking time off from the next series due to Lumbar spinal stenosis. Although the chance is not zero, he says that

@voiceswrestling it's might be very unlikely for him to return to the ring again. He also said in his blog that he saw it coming one day...

@voiceswrestling and he took the tragic news well, and that's he's not given up yet.

From yottsume's twitter.

Edge had cervical spinal stenosis, which, from the vast medical knowledge I got from reading a wikipedia article, seems to be far more dangerous than the lumbar version.

very trustworthy medical journal posted:

Cervical spinal stenosis can be far more dangerous by compressing the spinal cord. Cervical canal stenosis may lead to serious symptoms such as major body weakness and paralysis. Such severe spinal stenosis symptoms are virtually absent in lumbar stenosis, however, as the spinal cord terminates at the top end of the adult lumbar spine, with only nerve roots (cauda equina) continuing further down.

So Jado has a better shot at coming back than Edge at least, although even then he probably shouldn't.

Biosys fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jun 26, 2014

Biosys
Aug 13, 2011

Thauros posted:

Anything decent in the first half?

GBH vs Goto/Shibata was pretty good, rest was okay.

Biosys
Aug 13, 2011
That match was awesome, Desperado may actually be a heel now, maybe.

Rocky's Black Tiger mask is great, that eyepatch.

tooooo sweeeeeeeeeeeeetttttt

Biosys
Aug 13, 2011

Ishin posted:

TOO SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEET

Biosys
Aug 13, 2011
NO

NO

THIS IS NOT SWEET AT ALL

Biosys
Aug 13, 2011
Wow, Yujiro picked up japanese pretty quick.

Biosys
Aug 13, 2011

epitasis posted:

too sweet

too sweet :(

Biosys
Aug 13, 2011
It's really hard to know sometimes if it's Ishii's opponent being sloppy, or Ishii taking weird/bad bumps deliberately and selling realistically.

I mean there were def. a few iffy spots but for the most part Yujiro was great, looked farrrrrrrrr better than he ever has before.

Biosys
Aug 13, 2011

triplexpac posted:

So I haven't seen anything since BOSJ... is there anything I should watch to catch up before the G1?

Dominion is definitely worth watching, first half especially.

The Kizuna Road show on the 29th was p. good, some good tags and a great main event, but it's skippable if you don't have the money/time.

Biosys
Aug 13, 2011

KungFu Grip posted:

Actually I dont think/know if this is a ippv...

Yeah, only currently listed event on both NJPW ustream pages is the Kizuna Road show from the 29th, unless there's another listing somewhere else, it seems it won't be a iPPV.

Which is weird cause it seems like the better card, hopefully the Ibushi/Kushida match shows up on Dailymotion or something.

Biosys
Aug 13, 2011

KungFu Grip posted:

Honestly I have no motivation to watch NJPW shows on YouTube or dailymotion. Like I wanted to watch Naito and Tanahashi vs. Shibata and Goto but didn't pay any attention to it. Didn't even attempt to watch Kushida vs. Ibushi.

Same, especially since I've been able to watch p. much every NJPW card since the last G1 live (living in the UK helps, the earliest a show has started for me is like 7:30am).

Hopefully niconico or whatever option they go with isn't too annoying to deal with.

Biosys
Aug 13, 2011

flashy_mcflash posted:

Isn't that UStream notice not as bad as we thought? What's stopping any wrestling company from going this route?

Maybe I'm misreading it, but it sounds like the backend delivery of the content will be basically the same, while you have to handle taking payments and fielding customer service issues yourself. Or is the issue that NJPW will not bother making their portal accessible outside of Japan?

Because handling your own payment issues and customer service is a big commitment (in terms of money/effort/time) that most companies don't want/can't do, and it gets even more difficult when you have to handle payment issues/customer problems internationally.

NJPW are likely going to go with some third party (whether it be niconico or something else), but it's probably going to be intended primarily for Japan as that's where the majority of their buys come from, the figure in the latest Observer was something like a steady 1500~ for foreign buys, which, while good considering it's only hardcore fans buying a Japanese wrestling iPPV, is a fraction of the buys they get in Japan.

Biosys
Aug 13, 2011
I hope Tanahashi's entire character is just him showing off his arm.

edit: What Nakanishi lacks in voice he makes up for in dramatic hand movements.

Biosys fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jul 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biosys
Aug 13, 2011
Posting this here as well, Yottsume has a podcast now, topic of the first one is 'Why did Ricochet win BoSJ'

http://pwn.podomatic.com/entry/2014-07-16T03_02_55-07_00

• Locked thread