Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Not that high on the main Invasion Attack card due to repetition and lack of a heavy title defense, although I'm sure it will still be very good. Definitely like the junior defense headlining Korakuen instead of being relegated to a midcard slot on a big show on the other hand.

coconono posted:

I need to get caught up on NJ events. I wish they had a Network like WWE does...

Orginal Bonski has every major event after the Tokyo Dome uploaded with the exception of Nakamura vs Fale from the NJC Final due to some problem he was having. You can find that here.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Mar 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

KungFu Grip posted:

NJPW doesn't do digital downloads of their theme music albums.

They do but only on the Japanese ITunes store. Yottsume recently put up instructions on how to buy them.

http://yottsumepuroresu.blogspot.com/2014/03/how-to-purchase-njpw-entrance-themes.html

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

:smith:

It's really going to suck to see him leave. AJ's a good wrestler but he's no replacement for him as a character.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

KungFu Grip posted:

Haha wait is AJ Styles coming in as the new leader of Bullet Club?

I have no idea how they're using him, but he's the big gaijin coming in right as it looks like Devitt's leaving. He might be a face for all I know.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Both upcoming Korakuen cards (4/2 Inoue retirement show and 4/3 Ibushi vs. Nick Jackson) will be on UStream for $15.

Enjoy seeing Devitt while you can :(.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Mar 27, 2014

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

MassRafTer posted:

So we knew Nakamura's decision was leading to something with Okada, but this is very interesting...

That could be Dave choosing the wrong words, but it sounds like Okada is losing the title before most of us assumed. Dave also said recently that AJ Styles is getting such a large push that it might backfire, I wonder if AJ is going to win the title in Yokohama.

Yeah, that struck me as odd as well, but I took it to more mean more that the program might be delayed rather than that he's necessarily dropping it soon. I personally think Nakamura would be a great choice as the next champ though since he'd have the credibility but be fresh.

AJ winning the belt on or near his debut would be a mistake IMO, but their bookers have earned the benefit of the doubt from me, so I'm happy to wait and see when it comes to NJPW.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

If Devitt's gone I'd prefer to see Machine Gun get a turn as top gaijin rather than AJ. He's shown during the G1, KoPW 2012, and New Beginning 2013 that he can hang with guys like Okada and Tanahashi in a main event match.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

heel turn posted:

Is there any way to order shirts from NJPW and get them shipped to the US? I really want one of the Bullet Club shirts.

Yottsume's been shipping shirts foreigners for no added fee, contact him on twitter (@yottsume) if you're interested. Tama Tonga was briefly selling them on a US site, but it was apparently unauthorized and got shut down.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Someone should've remembered that a couple years later....

MVP comes off as a cool guy with genuine knowledge and respect for puro, I wouldn't mind seeing him as the English language color guy/official podcaster for NJPW.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

coconono posted:

Are those cards for a game or are they just collectibles?

It's a game, they've shown stats on the back in one of the videos and talked about the strength of cards.

Speaking of NJPW merch, here's some keychains and little stand up figures they just came out with.

The interesting thing to me is the selection. No Okada, but YOSHI-HASHI and the now retired Inoue?

The Inoue retirement show at Korakuen is Wednesday morning by the way on Ustream. First of two consecutive Ustream cards leading up to the big Sumo Hall Show, the second one is headlined by Ibushi/Matt Jackson.

Both will be at 5:30 EDT/2:30 PDT/10:30 BST

Road to Invasion Attack - Wataru Inoue Retirement Ceremony in Korakuen Hall (April 2nd)

Card
  • CHAOS (Toru Yano & Takashi Iizuka) vs. Yohei Komatsu & Sho Tanaka
  • Ryusuke Taguchi & El Desperado vs. BUSHI & KUSHIDA
  • Jushin Thunder Liger & Tiger Mask IV vs. World Class Tag Team (Jado & Gedo)
  • Yuji Nagata, Super Strong Machine & Captain New Japan vs. Suzuki-gun (Minoru Suzuki, TAKA Michinoku & Taichi)
  • Manabu Nakanishi, Tetsuya Naito, Togi Makabe & TenCozy (Hiroyoshi Tenzan & Satoshi Kojima) vs. CHAOS (Kazuchika Okada, Shinsuke Nakamura, Tomohiro Ishii, Yujiro Takahashi & YOSHI-HASHI)
  • Hiroshi Tanahashi & Tomoaki Honma vs. Hirooki Goto & Katsuyori Shibata
How to watch: iPPV on USTREAM ($15)

Road to Invasion Attack in Korakuen Hall (April 3rd)

Card
  • BUSHI & KUSHIDA vs. Yohei Komatsu & Sho Tanaka
  • TenCozy (Hiroyoshi Tenzan & Satoshi Kojima) & Manabu Nakanishi vs. CHAOS (Toru Yano, Takashi Iizuka & Jado)
  • Yuji Nagata, Jushin Thunder Liger & Tiger Mask IV vs. Suzuki-gun (Minoru Suzuki, TAKA Michinoku & Taichi)
  • Hirooki Goto, Ryusuke Taguchi, El Desperado & Captain New Japan vs. Bullet Club (Prince Devitt, "Machine Gun" Karl Anderson, Doc Gallows & Matt Jackson)
  • Hiroshi Tanahashi, Tetsuya Naito & G.B.H. (Togi Makabe & Tomoaki Honma) vs. CHAOS (Shinsuke Nakamura, Tomohiro Ishii, Yujiro Takahashi & YOSHI-HASHI)
  • CHAOS (Kazuchika Okada & Gedo) vs. Bullet Club (Bad Luck Fale & Tama Tonga)
  • Kota Ibushi (c) vs. Nick Jackson - IWGP JR. HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Bucks brought the ROH tag belts with them on tour. Unsurprising given the upcoming joint shows, but it's cool to see ROH belts in Korakuen.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

From the Observer:

quote:

The biggest news of the week is that the Devitt vs. Taguchi match has been made a loser leaves town match. With all the rumors of Devitt going to WWE, this could be seen as an indication. Within the company, the feeling was that A.J. Styles was getting Devitt’s position as the great working foreigner.

I basically knew this was coming, but still, gently caress. :cry:

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

yea ok posted:

did anyone watch the shows last two nights, and how were they

Saw the Inoue show and the last two matches from this morning. Retirement ceremony was a nice sendoff but nothing on that card was otherwise notable.

Both of the matches I saw this morning were good and worth watching, but nothing that extraordinary by NJPW standards, pretty much what you'd expect going in.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vmn9asN-8AE

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

masato tatanka posted:

devitt officially asked to be released too.

I saw Yottsume reported that. I thought he was a free agent working without a contract?

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

A reminder that just about exactly 1 year ago right now this happened:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lr_YrShl3bw

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Finally watched rest of Invasion Attack, good show though not up to last year's. Losing Devitt blows but I actually dislike the Bullet Club as heels now and want to see Okada club AJ in the face, which I guess is the point.

Surprised Goto&Shibata didn't take the belts.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Listening to today's Observer show, apparently the reason why Devitt hasn't signed with WWE is that TNA is making a major play for him.

I understand going to WWE for the earning potential, but leaving a successful, functional growing company where the workers are happy for TNA would just seem insane no matter what they're paying him. They might not even be around in a few months if WWE goes to Spike and then you're just one of a bunch of ex TNA guys desperately trying to get in to WWE.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

rovert posted:

That's not the way Dave worded it from what I remember. Was it actually said it was "the reason."

July last year was the big Performance Centre/new trainee induction month and Devitt has seemingly lined up his last pre-WWE booking at the end of June about an hour and half away from where he lives in Ireland:

I may have missed the exact verbiage since I usually don't devote 100% undivided attention to a podcast, but I'm pretty drat sure he brought it up as a factor at the very least. "A reason" would probably be more fair than "the reason" I guess.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Both Ishii vs. Naito III and Tanahashi vs. Nakamura III were rated ****1/2, pretty accurate IMO.

I was disappointed in seeing empty seats after a good early advance, but Dave actually sees the attendance as a positive and not a negative:

quote:

The show drew 8,500 fans, not a sellout, and there were notable empty seats in the expensive section right in front of the hard camera. But it was only down 500 fans from the October show, and that had an Okada vs. Tanahashi IWGP title match. The fact they did almost as well with an IC title match main event shows how well the promotion has built its No. 2 belt. This was also the third show in five days in Tokyo, and the third time this year that Tanahashi vs. Nakamura have headlined on PPV. It is a sign of an upswing to do this well without the main title at stake, as aside from the King of Pro Wrestling show with Okada vs. Tanahashi, and G-1 finals every year, this was the best paid crowd they’ve had at Sumo Hall since a special show in 2009 that celebrated Masahiro Chono’s 25th anniversary and had Chono & Keiji Muto & Kenta Kobashi as the main event trio.

More buildup to Okada vs. Nakamura that was new to me:

quote:

In more build-up for the slow building Kazuchika Okada vs. Shinsuke Nakamura match, Okada said he was upset with Nakamura for picking Hiroshi Tanahashi as his opponent at Invasion Attack in an interview with Weekly Pro Wrestling this past week. He said he thinks Nakamura is scared of facing him because he’s now the best wrestler in the world, and said their dynamic was very similar to the 90s Keiji Muto vs. Masahiro Chono situation, where they started off as regular tag team partners but ended up as rivals for the top spot.

Who if anyone do you guys see as playing face and heel roles in that matchup? They're both super over tweeners/ultra cool heels/whatever.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Apr 10, 2014

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

KungFu Grip posted:

That reminds me, what were the first two Ishii vs. Naito's given?

First was ****3/4, second ****1/4. Not that anyone cares but I'd personally give the first a full 5, the second 4, and agreed on the third.

epitasis posted:

Nakamura seems pretty firmly babyface considering even Tanahashi was getting booed against him.

Tana's worked heel against Okada too though. But yeah, Okada basically has a cool heel gimmick and promos where Shinsuke basically comes off as a face to me based on watching him and reading Yottsume's transcripts.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Tonfa posted:

Honma's got this, just tell him to never go for Kokeshi.

Honma's over and a good wrestler, I'd honestly having no problem seeing him as more than just the designated job guy in multi mans.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Nice that they're making some public appearances on their Taiwan trip.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

MassRafTer posted:

Was it a good sized crowd?

PaybackJack posted:

Not as many as the WWE shows get, but better than All Japan got last year when they came. I'm pretty bad at estimating crowd sizes but I'd say under a thousand people.

FWIW, Strong Style Spirit reported 2000.

quote:

JPW "WRESTLING WORLD 2014 IN TAIWAN", 4/12/14 (Samurai! TV) (Look!)
Taiwan University Gymnasium NTU Sports Center
2,000 Fans

1. Ryusuke Taguchi & Sho Tanaka beat Mascara Dorada & Yohei Komatsu (8:54) when Taguchi used the Dodon on Komatsu.
2. Jushin Thunder Liger, Tiger Mask, El Desperado & BUSHI beat Rocky Romero, Alex Koslov, Jado & Gedo (12:08) when Tiger used a crucifix hold on Gedo.
3. Minoru Suzuki & Taichi beat Toru Yano & YOSHI-HASHI (10:51) when Suzuki used a Gotch-style piledriver on YOSHI-HASHI.
4. NEVER Openweight Title: Tomohiro Ishii (c) beat KUSHIDA (12:56) with a brainbuster (2nd defense).
5. Yuji Nagata, Manabu Nakanishi, Hirooki Goto & Captain Taiwan beat Karl Anderson, Doc Gallows, Bad Luck Fale & Tama Tonga (8:54) when Goto used the Shouten Kai on Tonga.
6. Special Singles Match: Jax Dane NWA beat Hiroyoshi Tenzan (7:29) with a spear.
7. NWA World Heavyweight Title: Satoshi Kojima (c) beat Rob Conway NWA (9:04) with a lariat (2nd defense).
8. Special 6 Man Tag Match: Hiroshi Tanahashi, Togi Makabe & Tetsuya Naito beat Kazuchika Okada, Shinsuke Nakamura & Yujiro Takahashi (14:48) when Tanahashi used the High Fly Flow on Takahashi.

Glad to see the Hooligans are getting booked again, their match vs Liger/TMIV at the show that's presumably going on about now is for a shot at the Bucks.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Results are in from the second day in Taiwan/

quote:

NJPW "WRESTLING WORLD 2014 IN TAIWAN", 4/13/14 (Samurai! TV) (Look!)
Taiwan University Gymnasium NTU Sports Center
1,600 Fans

1. Ryusuke Taguchi & BUSHI beat El Desperado & Mascara Dorada (9:05) when Taguchi used the Dodon on Dorada.
2. Yujiro Takahashi, Jado & Gedo beat Mascara Don, Sho Tanaka & Yohei Komatsu (8:58) when Takahashi used the Tokyo Pimps on Tanaka.
3. Toru Yano & Takashi Iizuka beat Minoru Suzuki & Taichi (9:53) when Yano used the Uragasumi on Taichi.
4. IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Tag Team Title #1 Contender Match: Rocky Romero & Alex Koslov beat Jushin Thunder Liger & Tiger Mask (10:09) when Romero pinned Tiger after the Contract Killer.:woop:
5. Togi Makabe & Yuji Nagata beat Bad Luck Fale & Tama Tonga (8:11) when Makabe used a King Kong kneedrop on Tonga.
6. IWGP Tag Team Title: Karl Anderson & Doc Gallows (c) beat Hirooki Goto & Captain Taiwan (9:31) when Gallows pinned Captain after the Magic Killer (3rd defense).
7. NWA World Tag Team Title: Hiroyoshi Tenzan & Satoshi Kojima (c) beat Rob Conway NWA & Jax Dane NWA (10:33) when Tenzan used the Anaconda Vice on Dane (1st defense).
8. Special 6 Man Tag Match: Kazuchika Okada, Shinsuke Nakamura & Tomohiro Ishii beat Hiroshi Tanahashi, Tetsuya Naito & KUSHIDA (13:40) when Nakamura used the Boma Ye on KUSHIDA.

Sucks that attendance went down, but that's probably to be expected when you run a venue in a foreign country that I don't think that's huge on wrestling on back to back days.

I'm just thrilled that my favorite tag team is getting booked and will get a shot at presumably the Dontaku show.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Wait a sec, that's apparently the match order? Weird that the title match isn't headlining. I think that kinda blows away Dave's theory of a possible title change, I can't see the end of a year+ long IWGP title reign happening in the middle of a show.

John Cena posted:

i didnt realize it was possible for a match to make me want a show less

I've gotten used to the presence of a lovely NWA match so it doesn't really bother me assuming it means Bruce Tharpe graces us with his presence. Poor Kojima though, he must think US wrestling blows when Rob Conway is far and away the cream of the crop he gets to face. What annoys me more as a MiSu fan is that they haven't found much for him to do in a year other than eternally feuding with YTR.

epitasis posted:

Wes Brisco has a lotta upside idk maybe he got better

I've never seen the guy wrestle in my life, but wasn't he terrible by TNA standards and not especially young?

Thauros fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Apr 14, 2014

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

sportsgenius86 posted:

hahahaha that cannot be right

That's some TNA poo poo

http://www.njpw.co.jp/english/match/card.php?e=838

Yeah, that match order looked so batshit to me that I assumed KFG found it on a site that didn't list in order and checked on the official site.

Regardless of who wins, Okada's first defense in almost three months should be a huge deal and shouldn't be in the spot that's usually been held by Bruce Tharpe and friends. To me this points to Okada retaining after a quick DQ finish or something, but this is really weird. It's better to shock the fans at the end than change your world title before intermission and kill the crowd if that's not what they want.

I'm guessing Nakamura vs. Daniel Gracie's headlining the big Yokohama Arena show which also seems kinda questionable.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

triplexpac posted:

Yeah that was my first thought too, seeing them put the title match where it is on the card.

That's not really what I want out of NJPW though. I guess I understand though, their roster is kind of limited when it comes to title challengers so you need to have a few clunkers here and there.

Yeah, that is their biggest problem. They have three main eventers and they're sensibly doing a slow build to Okada vs. Nakamura since that should be a huge match headlining a Dome.

On the bright side as far as match quality's concerned, the Survivor Series style main event should get a lot of time and has some really good wrestlers on the face side.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Yeah, that would make more sense. That would result in their standard ppv order of jr. tag open, MiSu v. YTR for match 2, and the NWA in the third slot.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Yeah, he's been great in ROH and I'm sure he'll be out to impress considering that his first match is a main event against the world champ. My only concern is that I have a hard time seeing him matching Devitt as a promo and general character.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Semprini posted:

AJ wins belt, Nakamura beats AJ later in year, Okada wins G1 to challenge Nakamura at the Dome. It's not exactly rocket science.

That was what I was thinking after Meltzer's reference to Okada vs. Nakamura not being in the plans for "this title reign", but then why put the IC back on Shinsuke at Invasion Attack?

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

John Cena posted:

for really selfish reasons, i really dont want styles to win the title just yet.

Yeah, I want to see Okada break the records for longest single reign and most defenses.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Reminder that the Korakuen show on the Dontaku tour's tomorrow morning for the US and Europe.

Like most recent Korakuen cards, the start time's 18:30 JST/5:30 EDT/2:30 PDT/10:30 BST

quote:

Card
  • Jushin Thunder Liger, Tiger Mask IV & BUSHI vs. Ryusuke Taguchi, El Desperado & Mascara Dorada
  • TenCozy (Hiroyoshi Tenzan & Satoshi Kojima) vs. Manabu Nakanishi & Yohei Komatsu
  • CHAOS (Jado, Gedo, Toru Yano & Takashi Iizuka) vs. Suzuki-gun (Minoru Suzuki, Shelton "X" Benjamin, TAKA Michinoku & Taichi
  • Tetsuya Naito, KUSHIDA & Tomoaki Honma vs. CHAOS (Tomohiro Ishii, Yujiro Takahashi & YOSHI-HASHI)
  • Yuji Nagata & Captain New Japan vs. Hirooki Goto & Katsuyori Shibata
  • CHAOS (Shinsuke Nakamura, Rocky Romero & Alex Koslov) vs. Bullet Club (Bad Luck Fale, Matt Jackson & Nick Jackson)
  • Kazuchika Okada vs. Tama Tonga
  • Hiroshi Tanahashi & Togi Makabe vs. Bullet Club ("Machine Gun" Karl Anderson & Doc Gallows)

I wish this show had the elimination tag main the Osaka card's getting, but I'm looking forward to seeing Nakamura and the Hooligans team up. It's also kind of cool that they're bringing in a little more outside star power than they usually do for these shows, Mascara Dorada is really loving great and on this show despite not even being booked for the main Dontaku PPV.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Apr 19, 2014

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Le Saboteur posted:

Just got around to watching the Nakamura/Tanahashi match at Invasion Attack 2014, is Tanahashi a heel now? I thought he was NJPWs golden boy.

No, he still has the super babyface gimmick and the love based catchphrases, it's just that he's both willing and very adept at heeling it up against other extremely popular guys like Nakamura and Okada. NJPW alignments are generally pretty fuzzy outside of the Bullet Club.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Card looks great especially considering that Tana and Shinsuke aren't even in marquee matchups. Honma's very good considering his normally borderline jobber status and he and Ishii should matchup really well.

Hope the crowd's better than last year's Dontaku show.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Tonfa posted:

The entirety of 2014 feels like an increasingly elaborate rib on Kojima.

It's a shame Bruce Tharpe doesn't have any adequate wrestlers at his disposal other than Conway, I've unironically really enjoyed his work lately.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Finished watching the Korakuen card, fun show that was definitely a couple notches better than most of the recent Korakuen build up shows. Worth checking out.

quote:

Just noticed this, it's kinda sad that the juniors are relegated to the background on the poster of their own goddamn tournament. I love NJPW and they're by far my favorite promotion right now, but I wish they'd do more with the division. It's not like they don't have some talent there, plus they can bring in guys from CMLL.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

TAKA actually hasn't gone anywhere at least yet.

He didn't re-sign but is still around regularly, is booked for Dontaku and hell, MiSu himself is a freelancer.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

sportsgenius86 posted:

Yea, I know he's not into going over there but I figure a one off tour for a G1 would be kind of like a bucket list thing, but who knows. I doubt anyone goes over there anyway, I just think it's kind of interesting that there aren't any ROH shows during that period.

Yeah, I know we'll never get to see Steen in the Bullet Club full time as incredible as that would be but I could see him doing one important tour.

Of course, who knows, by then he might be in NXT beating up a suspiciously familiar person anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Illinois Smith posted:

Not sure if it's HM material but Ishii's defense against KUSHIDA from Taiwan was really fun.

Wow, surprised that's around. Haven't seen any full shows that weren't on Ustream circulate since last year's BOSJ. Have to give that a look.

• Locked thread