Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Didn't Hogan win the initial tourney when Inoki legit knocked himself out taking a bump off the ring apron onto the floor and they had to change the finish? Or am I confusing that with something else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Am I correct in my timezone conversion that the Yokohoma show will be starting at 2am EST on Saturday night / Sunday morning? Hoping it's a great capstone to four consecutive weeks of tremendous iPPVs.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

My re-watching / catching up on New Japan 2013 has reached the G-1. I've never watched an entire G-1 before, but in some probably stupid desire for completionism, I ordered DVDs of the whole thing. I have a 4 day weekend over the holiday, so I think I'm going to spent big chunks of it watching shows and trying to keep a running point total. Should be great prep for the Yokohama show :v:

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

The NJPW UStream page is showing iPPV dates for the BOSJ on 5/30, 6/3 and 6/8. Was that already announced?

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

I had no idea Alvarez watched or even cared about New Japan.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Based on their reaction to the Fukuoka match, it is that undesirable. And the post-show Bullet Club promo was straight out of 1997 WCW.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

epitasis posted:

This show is at like 3 a.m. eastern right? Ustream just sent me a GOING LIVE email I was confused.

edit: also Styles can get over anywhere so not worried about it
2 am EST tonight. I'm debating going to bed in an hour or so and trying to wake up and watch it, or just watching it in the morning. Leaning toward the latter since it doesn't feel like a great show on paper.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Going to be tough to get a big show feel going if the arena is only half full. Hopefully the walkup is huge, but I don't know why anything would have changed in the past few days. Is this the first year they've gone with a May show as the presumed #3 show of the year? For the past few years I've looked at it like January Dome show > G-1 Final > King of Pro Wrestling at the Dome in October as the big show order.

Ishii/Ibushi (I assume this is what you meant) is almost worth the price of admission by itself, but I don't have much faith in any of the other matches. The IWGP match could be good, but the crowd not feeling it and possibly only filling half the building isn't going to make it feel like a big defense. Other than that, you have to hope the Tanahashi tag match clicks I guess. Not like I'm going to skip the show, just a matter of deciding on waking up in the middle of the night to watch it.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Looks like they added an iPPV for the Kizuna Road show on 6/29. That's 5 iPPVs from 5/30 to 6/29. I'm starting to think they're going to the well too often.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

I'll be interested to see what they do with the G-1 as far as iPPV. 5 iPPVs from 5/30 to 6/29, and then possibly 2 more before 7/13 (another Korakuen show and the Fukushima tour end show). Then the G-1 runs from 7/21 to 8/10. Last year they made you pay for the entire G-1 package for $150. I've been going through and watching the entire thing recently, and it's been a ton of fun, so I hope they make it a little easier this time. That could potentially be 7 iPPVs plus the entire G-1 (12 shows) in ~2.5 months.

I have to say I was a bigger fan of the 1 big show (and possibly 2) per month.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

I wouldn't let the Yokohama gate worry me about the Seibu show for the G-1 Final. They probably overreached with Yokohama, having the IWGP title held by a foreigner wrestling only his 2nd match in New Japan this year, and having Tanahashi and Nakamura in matches that didn't exactly fire the imagination. Plus the loving Gracies were involved in key matches. The G-1 is always a huge deal obviously, and if it's anything close to what it was last year, it'll be a great tourney. Also, I think spacing the shows out more is going to build anticipation for the final better than usual. When they do the 9 shows in 11 days run, if you get busy for a few days or have to travel (or whatever) and miss the results from a few shows, you can miss the results of 20+ matches. And if AJ is going to continue to be part of the mix, by the time the G-1 is here, he'll have had 3+ months for the New Japan crowds to get used to him. Hell, maybe making a solid run through the G-1 could help cement his spot. I would have liked to see the reactions to AJ in an alternate universe where he went over Okada completely clean twice. I haven't been able to catch the Yokohama show yet (going to try to catch it this weekend) but the crowd at Fukuoka clearly was not into all the outside interference.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Just finished watching the 2nd night of the G-1 last year, the Korakuen show with Ibushi/Naito and Ishii/Tanahashi, among others. What a great, great show. I love the structure of the G-1 in the way it allows for upsets earlier on because the top guys can always just make up ground later. The crowd was hot for almost everything on this show, and the last four matches were all **** or better. Ishii/Tanahashi was definitely one of the best matches I've seen from last year. And everything was paced perfectly - the show flew by and I think it ran under 3 hours total. I'll take that every time over the 4.5+ hour beast shows.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

John Cena posted:

Have you watched Night Four yet?
Nope, I'm watching everything in order. I'll start Night Three after I watch the BOSJ show from today. Might get to Night Four this weekend.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Well they desperately need some new blood. Maybe if they can get guys started in time, they could book a decent run for them in the G-1 and hopefully create some fresh match ups.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Adding Ricochet/Ibushi really has me excited. The various tag matches on the BOSJ tour were all pretty fun and had good crowd heat from what I saw, but two tag matches (even featuring top guys) plus Nakamura/Fale doesn't sound like a great PPV to me. Add in that IWGP Jr. title match and its ceiling goes up significantly. Plus we get a 2 week break from iPPVs, which I personally need after the flood of shows in the past 6 weeks.

edit: Plus, the Osaka crowd has been the best crowd in wrestling over the past year or so.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Kind of sucks that they have Nakamura and Naito stuck in matches that aren't going to be any good. And if you'd told me Bad Luck Fale would be in the main event of two tour-ending shows this year, I definitely would not have believed you.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Hybrid posted:

NJPW removed some stuff from youtube recently. drat. Wrestle Kingdoms are gone.
I have no issue with them doing this but I really wish that stuff was available somewhere online, even for a fee. It's why I've been buying DVDs of all the good New Japan shows recently. It would be great if they could figure out a way to sell more stuff to their Western audience.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Naito also apparently has a bad knee and that's why he's wrestling a nothing match low on the card. Hope he's better for the G-1.

edit: Ugh, another 4 iPPV in 18 day stretch in September.

Dunbar fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jun 11, 2014

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Thauros posted:

Wasn't it knee surgery that took him out from after KOPW 2012 to Dominion 2013? That sucks that it's becoming a regular problem.
Yes, unknown if it was the same knee though. Hope not.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

With the general attendance and interest issues they've been having, I'd also expect a loaded G-1 card, personally. Wouldn't be a bit surprised to see them save Okada/Tanahashi for the final night. I guess we're getting close to them announcing the G-1 groups. I think last year it was on an iPPV Road to Kizuna Road show.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Is there a general favorite to win the G-1 this year? Last couple years I thought it was pretty obvious but I'm stumped this year. Should be Ishii. Maybe they'll have a gaijin take it to set up another main eventer.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Huh, for some reason I had assumed Dominion was late Saturday, but I got the date wrong and it's late tonight. Guess I'll have to try and go to sleep early. As far as I can tell, they still haven't announced any new iPPVs beyond the Road to Kizuna Road show at Korakuen next weekend.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Is it just me, or is Honma missing from the G-1?

:(

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

It might be that there is a ceiling of crowds they can expect for their shows (excluding the January Dome show). Yokohama actually drew more than Osaka, but the bigger capacity made it look less impressive. So it might be that they can expect a solid audience of 7,000-8,000 for their PPV type shows, but booking bigger arenas will be trouble. The advance for the G-1 final sounds promising and I hope they really pack the place, but it also sounds like they're pulling out all the stops, at least moreso than usual, so we'll see if they can do it consistently.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Kushida/Shelley v Young Bucks got ****3/4, as did Ricochet/Ibushi. Goto/Shibata vs. Nagata/Honma got ****1/4. Personally, I would've gone a little lower for the first two and a little higher for the third. I really liked the Nagata/Shibata stuff in that tag match. Nothing after intermission was higher than ***3/4, and Nakamura/Fale got ***1/2.

Dave says ticket sales for the G-1 final are really good, although there is some concern about selling 30,000+ tickets with a final card that won't be announced until 2 days before the show. The only G-1 Tokyo show at Korakuen sold out instantly.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

Would anyone be interested in doing a G-1 pick-em?
I sure would. I've had a blast going through the 2013 G-1 watching every show in order and tracking the standings. I plan to get whatever stupid overpriced iPPV package they have this time and watch as much as I can.

Re: Nakamura/Okada, everyone seems to agree that's the plan for the Dome main event, so I have no idea how anyone could think it makes sense to blow the match at the G-1. And Mike isn't the first person I've heard say that. If they're going for Max Ticket Sales, Okada/Tanahashi makes the most sense. I can't see anyone other than Okada winning the B block and if they're avoiding Nakamura, Tanahashi is the only other money opponent from A block.

I think this is going to be an awesome G-1 and the lack of any major show before it starts is only going to help my anticipation.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

I know he had the match against Mike Bennett at the ROH show, but when was the last time Tanahashi even wrestled a singles match for New Japan? ApriL?

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

In the year 2014, he has three singles matches against Nakamura and the match against Bennett at ROH, and that's it. 7+ months wrestling only 4 singles matches leading up to the G-1. If that isn't enough time for him to recover, he must be in worse shape than anyone realizes.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

I resisted long enough, but after seeing Yottsume post that NJPWxUSA shirt on Twitter, I finally gave in and ordered one. Full marks for the ordering process as he got back to me within about 30 seconds every time I contacted him. Should be here in time for the G-1.

In watching wrestling news, I'm up to day 4 of the 2013 G-1, the Osaka show. This is one of the greatest wrestling shows I've ever seen in my life.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

So he's barely wrestled singles all year, and now he's going to do the G-1 and then another high profile singles match a week later. Either he's healed or that schedule will kill him.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

With the G-1 starting 2 weeks from Monday, I wonder when we'll get an announcement about the iPPV package? I don't remember exactly, but I think they had already announced it by the time we were this close last year.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Meltzer also has it listed as an iPPV in his daily update too, but still nothing on UStream. I also would've highly been up to watch it since it's a holiday.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Thauros posted:

Potentially horrible news at one of the worst possible times. I asked Dave why tomorrow's card wasn't an iPPV and he just got back to me:
.............................................................................................................................

Right before the loving G-1 too. Ugh.

edit: WHY would they want out? Isn't it basically free money for them? What work is even involved?

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

I really have no desire to return to the days of watching dodgy streams or waiting to buy a bootleg DVD. One of the best things about this great New Japan run of the past 18+ months has been being able to pay to watch it all legitimately. I have to imagine that someone will be happy to take the money that Ustream apparently doesn't want or need.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

http://www.f4wonline.com/more/more-top-stories/118-daily-updates/37805-ustream-appears-to-be-dropping-its-ppv-business

The only reason given is that Ustream apparently doesn't even employ enough people to process credit card refunds when stuff goes wrong with ordering or watching. Which is a hell of a reason and makes me wonder what is going on over there.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Thauros posted:

What concerns me is that unlike any of us Dave actually has NJPW sources and he doesn't seem incredibly optimistic this is going have a good solution.
I'm not sure he isn't getting all this from Court Bauer at this point. But that's a total guess.

Even if New Japan understandably prioritizes their Japanese iPPV business, I think they recognize it's important to try to find something for their international audience, too. They've sent top guys to America twice this year to work with ROH, and next month they're bringing ROH guys over to their 2nd biggest show of the year. And I know they regularly send guys to that English fed during breaks between tours. So they must see international business as a part of the company's growth. I hope, anyway :ohdear:

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Continuing to catch up on last year's G-1, I finally finished the Night 4 show from Osaka. Like the 2nd night from Korakuen, it had to be one of the best wrestling shows I've ever seen. I watched Shibata/Ishii (which was an easy ***** and one of the stiffest matches I've ever seen) at the time, but I don't think I watched much else from that show. I didn't expect Nakamura/Ibushi to be every bit as good, even if it was a completely different style. I would've given that match ***** as well and it would have finished in my top 2-3 matches of the year. Just an incredible match.

Also, I don't remember hearing much about this at the time, but the Night 6 show from Yokohama was great, too. The final 3 matches were Okada/Shibata, Nakamura/Nagata and Tanahashi/Goto. I thought they were all very good, in the ****+ range. The show also had a surprisingly good opener of Benjamin/Ibushi. I still have the final and the show before the final to watch, but other than the big Show of the Year shows from Korakuen and Osaka, that Yokohama show was my favorite from the tour.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

I wouldn't see them live unless they happened to fall on weekends or I woke up early, but I was actually planning on trying to watch each show same-day when I got home from work. I still think they'll work something out, though.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Bard Maddox posted:

I already know I'm skipping whichever show has Yano vs. Suzuki
The opener, same show as Okada/Styles, Nakamura/Shibata and Tanahashi/Ibushi. :)

p.s. Nagata lost the GHC title to Marufuji today in front of 6,200 at Ariake Colosseum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

They still have 12 days to find some new solution and announce it. So cross your fingers, say prayers to the appropriate gods, throw salt over your left shoulder, etc. If we really miss out on this G-1 because their iPPV provider decided they couldn't be bothered to continue providing that service, it's going to suck a lot.

• Locked thread