Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Season 3 opens with some trends emerging. Miami and VT lead the ACC from the Coastal with the Canes as back to back ACC rematch national champions and VT the only team to mark undefeated regular seasons in back to back years as well as 13 wins in each of those seasons. Clemson was poised to storm into the title race, but a medical leave of absence from their long time guru coach denied that team the chance to really compete down the stretch. There were some other trends among the ACC as well. In the Coastal UNC is poised to make a play for best in the division and Pitt has a the chance to make some moves after landing the #1 Recruiting class this past cycle. GT and UVA found coaches and South Carolina will look to make good on their talented roster and get to a bowl game. In the Atlantic it's Clemson and then just about everyone else; NC State notched a top 10 finish and 10 wins while FSU slunk back after their ACC Title Run the year prior. Wake Forest did what Wake Forest does a consistent 9 wins for the 2nd consecutive year! Jim Grobe would be jealous.

Time to see who has started to develop their rosters best! SEASON THREE GAO!

Coastal Division Preview

Georgia Tech - GT got a new coach late in the season and will look to refine their plan of attack this next season. Who knows what quantity they represent? Usurper or not?

Miami - 12-1, National Champs, but still not the Coastal or ACC Champs. The Canes will look to rectify that blemish on their coach's record this season. Riding lots of redshirted talent and a strong young offensive core the Hurricanes are going to look to do what they couldn't last season, beat the Hokies and claim a spot in the ACC Title game. Good coach, good squad, they will be a title contender. (This is literally the same as season 2) Having gotten over the Hump against the Hokies in the last National Title game, perhaps this is finally their season.

North Carolina - The return of a veteran coach helped bouy the Tar Heels to a top 10 ranking by seasons end. Could be their time to shine with another year under their belt. The offense should be potent and the defense should be about ripe with how young it was to start. They only need another W or 2 over their prior records to find themselves in the ACC Title Game.

Pittsburgh - A lethal passing attack, crippled by a huge turnover deficit and a nearly non existent run game limited the Panthers from doing more damage in the conference in season 2. They will look to cut down on the turnovers and put their AA TE & WR to good use at scoring points through the air. Their #7 ranking right after midseason was marred by a bad slide in the back half of their schedule. The Panthers will need to take the next step and finish out strong against the highly ranked portion of their schedule has them in the hunt too.

South Carolina - Sadly the worst team in the ACC the Gamecocks are going to look for big improvement offensively this season. Their defense was stifling holding most opponents to winnable scores, however an inability to move the ball and score points kept them from making more noise. Despite making a bowl game against fellow conference member FSU was an odd reward to a CPU W over Clemson none the less the Gamecocks will look to earn their bowl bid this season.

Virginia - #LOLUVA / New spiffy coach will look to make the Hoos not an embarrassing mess. Getting out of the cellar may take time though as he inherits an older not as talented roster.

Virginia Tech - The #1 Defense in the country and a nearly 50/50 balanced offense saw the Hokies win 13 games again and a hollow, but still very real, ACC Title. Their rematch with Miami was lack luster to say the least. Replacing a lot of outgoing talent the Hokies offense will look to rebuild behind a new QB and get back to winning some more titles. Backed by their Heisman Winning HB Edmunds the Hokies are right in the thick of things.

Atlantic Division Preview

Boston College - Not a stellar season, but the coach is seasoned and will look to make some noise in the more open of the two division as it sits.

Clemson - Their HC earned them an ACC Title shot, but a medical leave of absence left them listless down the stretch and so they find themselves heading into the third season. With their HC an odds on favorite for the Atlantic. Without, sadly just a stepping stone. Come back soon Capn...

Florida State - After their stellar opening season the Noles slid back a bit in season 2. The roster is still loaded so a few better breaks and they will have their chance to grab another ACC Title.

Louisville - The Empty Throne of Bobby Petrino's Motorcycle

NC State - Improvements abound as the Wolfpack backed by their Star QB ran to a #6 ranking at the end of the season and a 10-3 record to go with it. 2nd in the Division last season they will look to take on an open race for first in the division. They closed strong and I expect them to be right in the mix of it.

Syracuse - DUMPSTER FIRE OF THE FROZEN NORTH

Wake Forest - WF does what WF does. 9 wins including the bowl and a tough showing of it on offense and defense. With a bit of some help with the schedule they could be poised to be a surprise team. SO CLOSE.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For those that may be new to the dynasty here are some things you should know about how I run this ship.

1)I am a considerate commish provided you post and stay in touch with the dynasty through the thread (when it concerns player games) or contacting me in AIM/PM. If there are scheduling problems, provided I am aware of them I will work with y'all to get games played.
2)I am a cruel and powerful commish, I move this thing along when I say I plan to especially as it concerns CPU games. I will often set a deadline and players need to get their games in. I don't wait on people with CPU games unless there is the aforementioned communication about a situation.
3)We don't play FCS teams in this league. We prefer mid major meats around these parts.
4)It's a good time in here, trash talk is fine and we will all have fun with the thread.
5)I will listen to suggestions about improving the game play of the dynasty, but the decision to implement anything is ultimately mine.
6)I don't care about CPU games; they are for getting bowl eligible and pointless stat padding. I won't be upset about a reset or two along the way. That said don't restart a half dozen times because someone got injured.

If you got problems all I gots to say is

----------------------------------------------
Teams by Division

Coastal
Georgia Tech - cletus42o GT cletus42o
Miami - John Brown GT True Cryme
North Carolina - slywalker13 GT Slywalker13
Pittsburgh - marioinblack GT TB Rays 23
South Carolina - MAkev GT makev7
Virginia - After Father GT BJTheRealist
Virginia Tech - Zsbaug24 GT JDMTyte

Atlantic
Boston College - Texas A Wrecksus GT QuickDrawQuincy
Clemson - Lil Jon Galt GT Kancho
Florida State - The Piper GT the nasty niss
Louisville - CLOSED
NC State - Dioedeus GT BenedictWong
Syracuse - CLOSED
Wake Forest - der juicen GT Im A GPS Facial

Wait List:

Wait list will work as follows; when a person drops out the first person on the wait list will get a PM and have 24 hrs to respond about taking the spot. If I get no response it's onto the next person.

Difficulty - All American; Adjusted Penalty Sliders; Recruiting is at Varisty
Quarters - 6 minutes
No QB Quiz, Ice the Kicker is On, Home Field Advantage is on.
No Recruiting boosters.

Basically I'm going to ask that everyone not play like an rear end in a top hat. I want to see good sportsmanship and that people play the game like real football within bounds. The game is trying to tailor it so you should be encouraged to do so, but lets actually try and care. I may make adjustments as the game goes along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Week 1 User Game Y'all:
GT vs South Carolina

A few of us have CPU games, so let's get to it!

e: on the topic of the schedule I'm still not sure how I keep playing NC State every year.

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Mar 25, 2014

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters
Always the bridesmaid, never the bride.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

I'm sorry ZSB, I just wanted to see if I could do it. Let me know if you'd like me to replay.

E: Miami is r2a

Diodeous
May 14, 2002

The Notorious ZSB posted:

e: on the topic of the schedule I'm still not sure how I keep playing NC State every year.
I'm no fan of it either. Gotta walk through Clemson and FSU to take my division. Yuck.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

John Brown posted:

I'm sorry ZSB, I just wanted to see if I could do it. Let me know if you'd like me to replay.

E: Miami is r2a

I'm assuming you topped triple digits on the scoreboard in which case I'm just impressed.

The Piper
Feb 18, 2007

Step right up and greet the Mets
poo poo, I don't play Kancho until week 11. He'll probably be back by then. I also play at #1 JB.

On the plus side, I don't play Sly this year and he's beaten me the past 2 seasons.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

I'm assuming you topped triple digits on the scoreboard in which case I'm just impressed.

Yea. It was something ridiculous like 115-7.

I put me entire second string in midway through the 3rd quarter.

cletus42o
Apr 11, 2003

Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light.
College Slice
Makev, when is good for you to play? I have another game I'm trying to schedule for either tonight or tomorrow night in another dynasty that will have first dibs though.

MAkev
Dec 15, 2003

Killed my sensei in a duel and I'll never say why.

cletus42o posted:

Makev, when is good for you to play? I have another game I'm trying to schedule for either tonight or tomorrow night in another dynasty that will have first dibs though.

I can play tomorrow after 7 pacific time or thursday anytime

Slywalker13
Jan 4, 2005
I will have to live with this title since I am too cheap to buy a new one.

The Piper posted:

poo poo, I don't play Kancho until week 11. He'll probably be back by then. I also play at #1 JB.

On the plus side, I don't play Sly this year and he's beaten me the past 2 seasons.

See you in the ACCCG, cause I'm about to tear through the coastal.

In reality I need another season or two to get my virtual players on the same level and then a loong time to improve my skills enough.

cletus42o
Apr 11, 2003

Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light.
College Slice

MAkev posted:

I can play tomorrow after 7 pacific time or thursday anytime
7pm Pacific and later is going to be too late for me on a weekday. If you can do sometime on Thursday from 6:30pm-10pm Eastern that would be best for me.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Slywalker13 posted:

See you in the ACCCG, cause I'm about to tear through the coastal.

In reality I need another season or two to get my virtual players on the same level and then a loong time to improve my skills enough.

You're probably going to beat me this season. It says my team is 99, 99, 99 but I don't believe it.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

I can never get 99 on defense
:negative:

Texas A. Wreckus
Aug 20, 2006

Welcome to the OVal Office
ZSB, literally the best commish posts. Thanks for making this poo poo still fun to be a part of.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Texas A. Wreckus posted:

ZSB, literally the best commish posts. Thanks for making this poo poo still fun to be a part of.

Thanks dude! This was probably my laziest one too haha, I might go back and add a bit more especially to the Atlantic Division previews.

I really enjoy running this league and I want to do some extra work for you guys so you can enjoy it more too.

Diodeous
May 14, 2002

I feel like with my recent SEC season preview it was like Kendrick on "control" putting everyone else on notice about the quality of their season preview capsules

MAkev
Dec 15, 2003

cletus42o posted:

7pm Pacific and later is going to be too late for me on a weekday. If you can do sometime on Thursday from 6:30pm-10pm Eastern that would be best for me.

Does 8:30 eastern work?

Slywalker13
Jan 4, 2005
I will have to live with this title since I am too cheap to buy a new one.

John Brown posted:

I can never get 99 on defense
:negative:

#firstworldproblems

Not sure UNC is quite there yet but this season the team is a lot more fun to play as at least. I'm curious what it'll be like against as user but my D was excellent at swarming to the ball, although it'll do no good if Duke and Trey are already 20 yards downfield by the time my guys realize what happened.

My kicker could make this a long season. At max power in a dome, his kickoffs were about 2 feet deep in the end zone.

Oh and I never noticed but the stadium was 4/5 Orange at my "netural" site game against Texas in Reliant stadium, I figured the programers would be lazy and all neutral site games would be 50/50.

cletus42o
Apr 11, 2003

College Slice

MAkev posted:

Does 8:30 eastern work?
Perfect! See you then!

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Slywalker13 posted:

Oh and I never noticed but the stadium was 4/5 Orange at my "netural" site game against Texas in Reliant stadium, I figured the programers would be lazy and all neutral site games would be 50/50.

This is a really cool touch I don't think I've ever really been able to schedule and notice. I know for all the bowl games its basically a 50/50 split. I tried scheduling myself in the Cowboys kick off but I'm not sure if it let me as there may have been CPU teams it auto assigned to it. I'LL FIND OUT AT THE NEXT ADVANCE! Will be a good chance to test that.

I did try and schedule all of the season opener neutral site games to include an ACC team so fingers crossed those that I selected enjoy them!

cletus42o
Apr 11, 2003

College Slice
Georgia Tech over South Carolina, 21-0. Rough game there for the Gamecocks.

Carolina had a strong running game but unfortunately the passing game did more harm than good. GT's returning senior QB Vlad Lee throws 2 TD and rushes for 90 yards, but the defense made the big difference only allowing 59 yards through the air and picking up 3 interceptions.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Tough sledding for South Carolina again in the pass game.

Texas please play your game so we can advance later tonight. I won't be home till late so you've got time.

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters
I don't know if I have a bye, but I'll play mine tonight if I don't.

MAkev
Dec 15, 2003

One day I'll learn how to pass maybe

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

MAkev posted:

I'm actually thinking you should go to all heavy run packages and only maybe try to pass deep off play action. Just Georgia Tech the poo poo out of it all the time.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

He'll never get better that way.

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012
Go full on Air Raid and ditch all running plays. Make Mike Leach proud!

Or just read up on it a take on some of the core concepts - http://web.archive.org/web/20110801045625/http://ncaastrategies.com/utopia/topic/72270-the-air-raid-offense/

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

So ZSB what happened to the schedules haha?

Btw, we've advanced ya'll

cletus42o
Apr 11, 2003

College Slice
GT over TCU, 41-24.

QB Vlad Lee gets 4 TD, 2 on the ground, with 200+ rushing yards. He is a monster this season.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

John Brown posted:

So ZSB what happened to the schedules haha?

Btw, we've advanced ya'll

Define what happened to them?

Also yeah week 2 and only 1 user game:

NC State vs South Carolina. I have no clue why USCe is the only team to get conference games scheduled during the first 2 weeks despite my setting the scheduler to only start them after week 3.

My starting QB went down for the game, which gave me time to test the back up who is also perfectly adequate. I'll be using all 3 QBs on my roster this season because TALENT. Hokies over A&M in what should have been last years title game 56-14.

Cletus, you still going full triple option down at GT?

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

7 user games in a row.

I like it but it's kinda :suicide:

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

John Brown posted:

7 user games in a row.

I like it but it's kinda :suicide:

I literally have no control over the conference schedule so yeah blame EA.

Diodeous
May 14, 2002

USC I'll be free almost all weekend, so let me know

cletus42o
Apr 11, 2003

College Slice

Cletus, you still going full triple option down at GT?
I'm not using the GT playbook, but I am using an option-heavy one. I'm a bit more used to running the option now, I have played with it a lot in both Madden and NCAA the last month. We'll see how the season goes!

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

There are those who said this day would never come. What are they to say now?

(Sigh)...So I've tried to play my game against Florida about 7x now, and 5 of those attempts resulted in a complete disconnect from XBL(I restarted twice because Florida's D owns). I've restarted both my modem and router, checked my XBL subscription info, disconnected and reconnected to my network, tested the connection, and tested my internet on other devices. The only plausible conclusion for me is to believe that my Xbox is on life support. It's a loving shame too because not only do I not get to clown on you fools with the best teams I've ever had in Miami and GA, but also my original white Xbox never died. The only reason I bought a black one was because the wireless adapter hooked up to my white 360 began to have problems maintaining a signal - on several networks.

It sucks that this is the way things had to end. If I knew there was going to be another version of NCAA later this year then I'd go replace this console right now. But honestly this is the only way to get me to peel the gently caress away from my controller and do even more poo poo than I already do with my time.

So as of today I will be bowing out of all NCAA dynasties. If anyone is interested in commishing the B1G/PAC12 (aka the Swag Dynasty) then let me know so I can transfer commish powers.

Nice efootballing with you goonies and add me on PSN: Loot_N_Scoot
Keep me on your friends' list because I just might get fed up with PSN's lovely online experience and jump to the One.

As for Piper, Dio, and the homie Kancho, hit me in the inbox if you want to chop it up from time to time. ZSB you have my number so hopefully next time I go to Austin we'll actually catch up for more than 10-15mins.

John Brown fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Mar 30, 2014

Diodeous
May 14, 2002

REALLY REALLY disappointed to see it end this way. JB, we should talk on gchat or facebook or something since I don't have PSN and you're someone I'd like to keep in contact with, given our mutual interests. If no one else is willing to commish your dynasty, I can take it on.

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters
Oh god someone pick up the pac12. It's the only conference I'm good in. :(

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

John Brown posted:

So as of today I will be bowing out of all NCAA dynasties.
Goonspeed! Enjoyed playing with you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diodeous
May 14, 2002

MAkev posted:

When do you want to play our game?

• Locked thread