Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^
FP cast manifolds are super cheap and worth it for the flow. I got mine for around 150 shipped with hardware used. There's also a guy who makes manifold blankets that keep all the heat in, which I've used with success.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

MikeyTsi posted:

My knowledge with the manifold blankets is that they also keep the moisture in, which results in your nice manifolds rusting the gently caress out. Has that particular issue been resolved?

How would it keep moisture other than unless the car sat for a very, very long time (which it would probably dry out anyways). When you start the car, the manifold would heat up too much for any water to stick around.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

MikeyTsi posted:

Oxidization can occur over a period of time.

What I saw/read happening was that as the vehicle cooled down wraps/blankets would take on moisture, and having that moisture touching manifolds was causing oxidization.

It's a 16 pound piece of cast iron. By the time you have to worry about rust effecting the performance of it, the last bits of gas will be warred over by China and the US and A.

Store in a cool dry place.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

That's why I'm just going to plasti-dip or vinyl wrap my car's lovely paint. Paint costs too much for a 16 year old econobox.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I got a black center console arm rest (mine was all hosed up from a car pc install) and a few other bits from him for an ok price.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

That's a 90 year oil cooler, I'd put a setrab under the driver's side headlight and shorten up the lines, but I understand if you don't want to bother with making more AN Lines.

Easy way to check for ABS is if there's a wire going to the hub. ABS units are around the driver's headlight as well. It's not worth it to add ABS to these cars unless you're going to be running some big money Bosch system (EG Bosch M4, and at that point you should've spent more money on driving coaching/brake balancing.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

The weenie water/oil cooler is way worse than the external oil cooler and barely does anything. I'd see what you could do to integrating one.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

http://www.advancedclutch.com/at20 5 bucks. No excuses.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

They don't call DSM's the Japanese Trans Am without reason. :sigh:

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

Why did you leave the transfer case on?!?

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

Haha, the only thing good on that car is the paint and maybe the EGT gauge (Looks like a Greddy PHW?)

Everything else is garbage.

"Needs tune" (with an SAFC in TYOOL 2014)

"BUILT MOTOR" (with what?)

"COILOVERS" (that I guarantee suck worse than stock)

"CUSTOM RACING WHEELS" (that are lovely fake 3 piece)

The ebay special SPOON steering wheel/Spoon "Racing Seats" on a Mitsubishi says it all.

He's got more information about the loving oil cap than the engine build.

And to top it off, he has those lovely oval cuts in the front bumper that do nothing.

Do you really want to buy a car from a guy who says a "Greddy 16G" (Which never existed) can run in the 9s?

That car has DSMer herpes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

Road Race Engineering is in Santa Fe Springs, and is probably at best a 6-7 hour drive away from SF, so I think he just had some parts shipped from there at some point.

• Locked thread