Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
enbot
Jun 7, 2013

duck monster posted:

I had a lot of friends who where anti-vaccine but have came around. What actually turned that around was the fact I also have a few friends with legitimately autistic (including one kid who still cant speak at age 7) kids who have gone a pro-vaccination crusade. For some reason autism mothers have more weight than my GP friend in opinions around that part of my social circle.

To be fair the average GP isn't trained at all to know poo poo about this issue other than they are correctly told that people should get vaccines. And people aren't necessarily wrong to have a mistrusting eye towards medical studies; there are far more with huge glaring statistical problems than any layman knows about- I spent half a semester in a course trashing paper after paper published in top journals that had huge glaring methodology and analysis flaws. The average researcher doesn't even understand what variance is, and this is not a joke.

Regardless, obviously vaccines work and are quite effective and there's no evidence towards the things the alt-medicine people claim (it's sad people who distrust medical science trust people who know absolutely nothing about it). But it's not based on "selfishness" or really even "delusional", the average person can't actually evaluate scientific claims- even smart people not trained in the area can only trust the other smart people in that area. It's because vaccines have successfully eradicated the problems they were designed for and the probability of their child getting affected by it is astonishingly low. For example:

quote:

Here in Britain, because so many parents refuse, either out of obstinacy or ignorance or fear, to allow their children to be immunised, we still have a hundred thousand cases of measles every year. Out of those, more than 10,000 will suffer side effects of one kind or another. At least 10,000 will develop ear or chest infections. About 20 will die.

LET THAT SINK IN.

Every year around 20 children will die in Britain from measles.

Of course it's horrible if it happens to you, but 20 deaths a year is 0.002777777% of the children born per year in Britain. There are numerous diseases and accidental deaths that claim far more lives. Deaths that can be prevented by vaccines are of course completely unnecessary, and we should continue to educate people, but the real reason these movements exist is because the diseases/ conditions people (incorrectly) fear from the vaccines are orders of magnitude more likely than conditions caused by a lack of vaccination.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enbot
Jun 7, 2013

forgot my pants posted:

I got the flu vaccine this year because I was working with immunocompromised children. My girlfriend got very sick with the flu, which was serious enough to cause her to make a trip to the doctor due to respiratory issues. She ended up being in pretty rough shape for two weeks, and had to take a few days off work. I, on the other hand, despite being near her and having every opportunity to catch it from her, developed only a generalized immune response, which consisted of a slightly running nose for 24 hours. I never got sick, and I have a pretty weak immune system.

The year before that my girlfriend had gotten the flu shot and I had not. I ended up getting the flu and being sick for three weeks, while she remained healthy. This experience is sufficient that we'll both be getting the flu vaccine from now on. Of course, this is all anecdotal. It could be we just got lucky when we didn't get sick, or it could be that she and I respond particularly well to the flu vaccine. But the evidence supports the claim that it works at least some of the time.

Also, you should not completely disregard corporate-funded research into the vaccine's efficacy. Instead, you should weight that research in such a manner that takes into account the potential conflict of interest. The problem with just ignoring that data is that you are cherrypicking, and also shrinking your sample size, thereby making it less representative.

Not to pick on you but this is basically how anti- vaccine people exist, one anecdote means absolutely nothing. I also have to emphasize that your last part is completely impossible for the average person- you need at least a graduate degree in relevant fields to even begin to objectively evaluate the literature on these subjects and unless it's your job there's no way you'd have enough time to do so.

enbot
Jun 7, 2013
Really the best the average person can hope to do is observe that the vast majority of papers are published show evidence towards the efficacy of vaccines, much like global warming. Like I said, even the average doctor doesn't have the training to analyze medical studies like some here are suggesting people do.

• Locked thread