Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
reach42
May 20, 2008

Satan is my lord
Bribe officials and kill goats
Hail Satan, Go Hawks

Get it here: http://www2.hirezstudios.com/smite

“Likewise and during every day of an unillustrious life, time carries us. But a moment always comes when we have to carry it. We live on the future: “tomorrow,” “later on,” “when you have made your way,” “you will understand when you are old enough.” Such irrelevancies are wonderful, for, after all, it’s a matter of dying. Yet a day comes when a free-to-play open beta notices or says that it is two years old. Thus he asserts his youth. But simultaneously he situates himself in relation to time. He takes his place in it. He admits that he stands at a certain point on a curve that he acknowledges having to travel to its end. He belongs to time, and by the horror that seizes him, he recognizes his worst enemy. Tomorrow, he was longing for tomorrow, whereas everything in him ought to reject it. That revolt of a release schedule is the absurd. . . The struggle towards the heights of having playable servers is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Hi-Rez happy."

-Albert Camus, on the subject of the Smite open beta.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzjKW1kOucM

Hello and welcome to the thread for Smite: Battleground of the Gods, a free-to-play third person (over-the-shoulder) action MOBA developed by Hi-Rez Studios (of Global Agenda and Tribes: Ascend infamy) focused on skill-shots and positioning. The game is currently available in Europe and North America, with a Chinese beta recently opening up through Chinese mega-publisher Tencent (of League of Legends fame). Literally translated, the Chinese title of Smite is "God Catastrophe." Every character in the game comes with a passive ability, 3 "regular" abilities, and an ultimate. Each player has 6 slots for stats-increasing items with passive bonuses, 2 active abilities that are purchased in-game, and 2 consumable slots that can hold wards and potions. In Smite, just about everything is a skill-shot, including auto-attacks. Auto-attacking also slows the attacker down, so one must be positionally sound in order to win duels. This is what has made Smite my favorite game for the past year and a half, it's a fast-paced third-person action title with a long kill-time (if we think of Call of Duty as having short kill-time and Halo having long kill-time) and plenty of opportunities for out-plays, out-maneuvers, and heart-breaking self-sabotage. There are 4 primary modes of playing Smite: Conquest (your typical MOBA map, 3 lanes of tower-pushing goodness), Arena (Kill their minions before they kill yours. Also kill them. DO IT.), Assault (5v5 All Random All Mid, tower pushing goodness with random team compositions and no item purchases unless you're dead), and 3v3 Joust (a single lane with side-jungle camps, good for playing with friends when you don't want to expose yourself to Randos.) Smite actually has really high populations on every single one of their queues at the moment I'm writing this, so you're pretty much guaranteed to be able to play the game the way you want to. The Gods of Smite come from 7 different pantheons: Greek, Egyptian, Norse, Roman, Mayan, Chinese, and Hindu.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4e438loLnNI

So, uh, that whole moba thing
The design philosophy of Smite stems moreso from League of Legends than it does DotA in that there is a generally agreed-upon meta with fairly hard-set roles for each character, scaling magical power characters, character designs generally revolve around 90-second cooldowns on ultimate abilities, and mana is plentiful enough that using a single ability won't set you dry. However, unlike League of Legends, there are no runes or masteries or other similar money-sinks. Instead, there is currently (I'm not sure how much longer out of release this deal will last) a deal called "THE ULTIMATE GOD PACK" in which you can unlock every single character ever released or ever to-be-released for $30. --> http://www2.hirezstudios.com/smite/nav/buy/ultimate-god-pack <-- This deal is completely worth it because it essentially means that this free-to-play game can be completely purchased for $30. Any money spent outside of that is purely for cosmetics: god reskins, VGS voice-packs voiced by the characters you play, and player icons.

Also, Hi-Rez is very active with the community, communicating often through twitter, reddit, and twitch.tv. They've actually set up 2 concurrent channels on twitch.tv so that there's always someone knowledgeable streaming the game. Smitegame is the byob of the two, while Smitepro is where you go to watch competitive players play at the highest levels. Here's some of the latest highlights:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVTBN0qk67Y

Help I'm new to MOBAs!
Have no fear, Smite is fairly friendly to beginners to the genre. Most of the people who I've met who've had difficulty with Smite's learning curve have actually been players of other MOBAs. Ok, so there are five types of characters: Warriors (big brawly dudes and dudettes who succeed by building sorta tanky, initiating fights, and diving the back-lines), Assassins (characters generally geared towards sneakily picking people off around the map in 1v1 duels), Hunters (your w+m1ers of Smite, they scale primarily off of gold accumulation. Although they start off pretty drat slow, watch out for that terrifying ramp-up once they start getting items completed), Mages (cast spells! make friends! commit your soul to Satan!), and Supports (generally tanky Crowd-Control bots whose job it is to baby-sit their squishier carries when they're not making other plays.). Sometimes the lines between those classes blur a bit. For example, Nemesis is a Warrior who can excel when played either as an assassin or a tanky bruiser. Sun Wukong (yes, you can play as Goku in this game and yes he's voiced by the same voice-actor from the American Dub of Dragonball Z) is a warrior who can excel as an in-lane support or a solo-lane warrior. If you want to look at what your character's abilities do, either hit "K," which lets you look at a detailed write-up on every ability your god has, or hold left ctrl which unlocks your mouse and allows you to look at the tool-tips of your abilities on the hot-bar. Space-bar is a jump key. This does nothing but look goofy.

Anyway, as a means of getting into Smite, I would recommend starting (after doing the tutorial) with the Arena game-type as a means of getting used to the game's mechanics. Gold spooling is higher in Arena than in other game-modes, so you can accelerate faster into builds and see what each character can really do. Just remember with Arena that the goal is to A) Kill the enemy minions and prevent them from reaching the portal in front of your spawn-base and B) Kill the enemy Gods so that you can push your own minions into their portal. Make sure you prioritize it in that order. Smite has an auto-buy and auto-level system so that new players can jump right in without worrying about build paths or skill optimization, however the auto-level system isn't all that efficient so I recommend weaning yourself off of it at some point.

Speaking of weaning, let's talk about the active ability Meditation. Ok, so Meditation is pretty cool for new players because it automatically restores 75% of your mana bar and gives you some additional mana regeneration on top of that. Past that, if you upgrade it to its max rank, it can provide an instant 30% of your max health heal. Meditation is a crutch. There are other, better, active abilities that you are wasting an active slot on with meditation. However, for new players, as long as you recognize that it's a crutch until you get used to the way different characters cycle through mana, I won't dissuade you from trying it out.

The free gods and their roles:
Warrior: Guan Yu. Ever since his re-release upon the announcement of the Tencent deal, Guan Yu has been Hype As Hell. He's got an AoE heal that heals dependent on how much of a beating you've recently taken, a dash that slows and damages enemies it passes through, and a channeled rectangular spear attack thing that temporarily steals protections and deals damage. His ultimate lets him get on Red Hare (yeah, from Dynasty Warriors) swing his spear a few times and dismount with a stunning attack. You can right-click to end the horse-ride early so that you can pop your stun early to prevent enemies from fleeing your deadly grasp.

Assassin: Thor. He's a surprising duelist who can launch his hammer and blink to it by pressing the button again in mid-air, slam the ground to create a path-blocking wall and stunning those close enough to the newly formed terrain, and a spin-to-win ability that turns you into a whirling dervish of death and destruction. His ultimate makes him spin up for a second on the ground before taking to the skies, where he can choose where to land again with damage and a stun. His passive grants him free physical power based on how many enemy gods are nearby, meaning his early game is pretty drat potent.

Hunter: Neith. She's probably the safest hunter in the game. Her first ability shoots an arrow through a straight line, damaging and rooting everyone it hits. Her second ability does damage, heals her, and lowers the attack speed of those hit with the ability. Her third ability allows her to backflip to safety, and her fourth ability is a cross-map global ultimate that stuns and deals damage based on how long you charge it up to a certain point. Her passive drops little white ghosty circles on the ground wherever players die or where she's back-flipped that interact with your abilities in different ways.

Support: Ymir. Good ol' Ymir. In the Chinese beta, his name was somehow translated to "Mrs. Mill." Anyway, Ymir the Frost Giant has the ability to summon an ice-wall to cut off enemies, a rectangular hammer-strike nuke that slows enemies it hits, a 2.25 second ice-breath stun in a cone, and a giant circle AoE ult that does a lot of damage. His ult can be canceled early by right-clicking. This reduces the damage it does, but means you can hit escaping enemies with it. Ymir's passive makes his basic auto-attacks deal double damage against targets who had just been hit with his abilities. This is a bigger deal that it would initially appear to be, as it can lead to some early kills on unsuspecting opponents.

Mage: Ra. Ra rules, he's a bird that shoots laser-beams, blinds enemies who get too close to him, and heals his friends. His ultimate is a giant laser-beam that does a truck-load of damage in a long straight line. His passive allows him to go faster as you cast spells successively. Remember, his lasers go through walls.

I'd originally titled this section "good beginner gods" before realizing that they were the free ones. You can definitely assemble a Great composition out of the gods provided straight out of the box, so I recommend trying out a few games before committing one way or the other to the God Pack. If you find yourself enjoying the game and can see yourself playing it for a while, get the god pack.

If you're worried about running out of things to accomplish or unlock in the game, there are gold skins that you can buy upon "mastering" a God. Every game rewards you with Account Experience used to level to 30, worshipers used to level up your god mastery rank, and favor that you can use to unlock basic skins and gold skins. Even if you dislike the aesthetic of the gold skins, they're still pretty nifty because they unlock cards that show your Kills, Assists, and Victories with that particular god in the loading screen, even if you're not using the gold skin. Strike fear into the hearts of your opponents!

Reviews
Game Informer: 9/10 (http://www.gameinformer.com/games/smite/b/pc/archive/2014/03/25/smite_2d00_review.aspx)
Rock Paper Shotgun: Liked it, but disagrees philosophically with the concept of surrendering. I guess. (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/03/25/smite-review-wot-i-think/)

Anyway, I'm reach42, I've been playing Smite since the fall of 2012 and was on a competitive Smite team for a few months with DLTN and Kretetuh before school got in the way. If you have any questions about the game or competitive scene, I'm sure we can help out. There's a big Smite Launch tournament happening this weekend with a $200k prize-pool, half of it donated from the community. Organizations like TSM, Cloud 9 Hyper-X, Dignitas, Denial E-sports and SK Gaming are all going to be represented. I'm certainly interested to see how it goes.

Get it here: http://www2.hirezstudios.com/smite

Useful Resources: http://tiermonster.com/
http://www.smitefire.com/
http://www.reddit.com/r/smite
http://forums.smitegame.com/

:siren: Player List https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AjtszGLSGJv6dFRqVXowYVVvanZYMV9tUVB3WWRSNFE :siren:
Goon IRC irc://irc.synirc.net/smite

reach42 fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Mar 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reach42
May 20, 2008

Satan is my lord
Hail Satan, Go Hawks
[First Post Reserved For Future Considerations]

:siren: Goon Smite Mumble :siren:
smitelljk.mumble.com
Port: 5772
Password: stairs

reach42 fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jun 10, 2014

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
posting in legendary thread

I thought the game was alright the few times I've played it. I got into it a bit more but lately I'vek ind of fallen out with it. It feels like the more I learn about it, the more turned off I get. I'm in a strange place right now, I suppose.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Anyone care about the tourney this weekend?

ROOTING FOR COG ALL DAY, BARRACUDA 4 LYFE

reach42
May 20, 2008

Satan is my lord
Hail Satan, Go Hawks

Studio posted:

Anyone care about the tourney this weekend?

ROOTING FOR COG ALL DAY, BARRACUDA 4 LYFE

I'd honestly say my two favorite players in The Scene are Barracuda and Jeffhindla for being highly skilled and exceedingly laid back. Lassiz is great too, but yeah, with Denial being sorta dumpster lately I gotta root for COG this weekend.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

I've only seen competitive Smite twice or so, but I'm friends with someone in the Cog organization and the factoid he loves to dish out is that "Barracuda hits 12 out of 13 attacks."

And I love that factoid.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I never watch pros play, I just like playing. But I like playing a lot, this is a good game. If you need to convince your friends, tell them it's a MOBA where every single shot is a skill shot: if you are good (or lucky) enough, you can dodge every skill in the game.

(well, except for Nemesis, but she is BS)

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

If you ever need music to listen to while playing Thor, this is the only song you need: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sejA1vil0DM

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
My money's on COG NA going all the way, but they've been dropping the ball these past couple weekends. Then again if you had asked me 3 months who would win I would have said Dignitas, no contest, but those guys have lost some of the magic they used to have.

I'm excited to see the NA and EU metas clash. The EU scene in general I think is a little more interesting than NA mainly because the top teams are much closer in skill than the top NA teams (where COG has been dominant from the beginning of the year).

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

reach42 posted:

[First Post Reserved For Future Considerations]

I'd put in the info for any Voicechats the goons are using. I don't think a lot of us check the spreadsheet, but if someone pops into TS or Mumble or Vent and says "hey" we can probably work to get them into the Goon Clan (which should also be mentioned).

Also, sorry I haven't been around as much lately...still can't see too well after my eye surgery so I pop on for maybe 1 game of Arena before my eyes bother me.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Shab posted:

My money's on COG NA going all the way, but they've been dropping the ball these past couple weekends. Then again if you had asked me 3 months who would win I would have said Dignitas, no contest, but those guys have lost some of the magic they used to have.

I'm excited to see the NA and EU metas clash. The EU scene in general I think is a little more interesting than NA mainly because the top teams are much closer in skill than the top NA teams (where COG has been dominant from the beginning of the year).

I think 3 months ago Cog was at the zenith of their power, it's now when they seem to be slightly tied with Dignitas.

I would give 60% odds to Cog, 40% to Dig. Well, not counting the rest of the teams. But these two are the favorites.

Denial is shamefully doing pretty bad in the last two months.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
Any particular hero recommendations for new players outside of the free ones? I'm wondering who I should aim for.

Another thing I couldn't figure out is how to sell active abilities. Can you?

darthzeta88
May 31, 2013

by Pragmatica

Meat Recital posted:

Any particular hero recommendations for new players outside of the free ones? I'm wondering who I should aim for.

Only right after you buy them. Otherwise no.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
MOBAs are so much cooler than skill-heavy FPS+Zs. Why would anyone want to fly around the map killing people with splash damage? Playing an RTS where you only control one unit is the trendy, with-it thing these days.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Meat Recital posted:

They're all pretty viable, and even at top-level play there are only 4 or 5 gods that see no play at all. Early on you probably want to get at least 1 of each role (assassin, warrior, hunter, guardian, mage) just so you can be flexible, but otherwise go with what's fun for you. You can try any of the gods in practice mode without buying them, in case you don't know.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

The best way to play Smite is to crank up some tunes and not care. Maybe that's because I would usually play a support role and whatever I did would help everyone else on my team whether or not they wanted to to happen. Smite, I guess. :shobon:

e: I'm also booting it up for the first time in forever since it's apparently fully released now and I want a chill game to play now and then that doesn't go on forever. Hooray!

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Could someone explain League Conquest to me please?

Specifically God picking and how the mode differs from Conquest

Kiran
Jul 4, 2013

Anyone want to play some games and gently caress around? New to the game, also surprisingly not terrible.

EDIT: Add Weivy in game.

Kiran fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Mar 27, 2014

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

I'll probably work towards unlocking Hel when I get the chance, but is it viable to mostly cruise around in Light Stance on her? It would be a bit more interesting to me.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Even though I'm still generally new (Haven't played in eons and only recently came back) new peeps feel free to add "BrotherlyLove" if you want to queue up. :v:

When Pigs Cry
Oct 23, 2012
Buglord

101 posted:

Could someone explain League Conquest to me please?

Specifically God picking and how the mode differs from Conquest

Each team's highest-mmr player bans two gods, and the most recent is unavailable to be picked. After that, the remaining gods are picked 1-2-2-1-1-2-2-1-1-2. You can only pick dudes you've mastered and can swap with someone else on your team, provided you both have them mastered.

Kaidyn
May 22, 2009

What is there left to discover about donuts...?

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

I'll probably work towards unlocking Hel when I get the chance, but is it viable to mostly cruise around in Light Stance on her? It would be a bit more interesting to me.

No, that isn't viable at all. She's balanced to be a character with 6 skills, if you only use 3 of them she will be half as good as any character using their entire arsenal. Also her bonus for being full light is quite a bit worse than her bonus for being full dark.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Kaidyn posted:

No, that isn't viable at all. She's balanced to be a character with 6 skills, if you only use 3 of them she will be half as good as any character using their entire arsenal. Also her bonus for being full light is quite a bit worse than her bonus for being full dark.

Sounds good, either way! I generally enjoy more supportive roles, so I can break up Aphrodite/whatever play with her if I get around to it.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
Not sure which team I'm going to have my hopes in. Snipe always seemed good but I'm also liking how DiG plays as well.

reach42
May 20, 2008

Satan is my lord
Hail Satan, Go Hawks

Meat Recital posted:

Ao Kuang is a great mage for new players because his laning phase consists of 1) Drop Tornadoes On The Creep Line, 2) Go Do Other Stuff. His ultimate is super satisfying to land too.

Apollo is one of the top-tier Hunters at the moment because of his 1-button nuke clear, a dash with a slow at the end of it, and a circular mesmerize which puts enemies to sleep around you until they take damage from players. His ultimate allows him to fly around the map, killing people with splash damage. Other than that, I think Cupid is a good hunter if you find yourself having a higher mechanical skillcap than the people in your ELO. His lane-clear is a bit mediocre, but his heart-bomb, dash, ultimate combo just lets you out-maneuver and out-play people with tons of damage.

Nemesis is a really great assassin for new players because she has two dashes, a giant AoE slow nuke, an ability that can take away 50% of a player's maximum health instantly, steal their protections, and make them slow while you go fast. If you add Sprint 3 (or greater sprint I believe it's now called) to it, you can basically run around with impunity. The only thing to really get used to timing is her 3, which blocks all incoming damage and returns a percentage of it to the damage-dealers for a very short time. Fenrir is another good one (that's currently free I believe, if you wanna try him out) that can stun people with his leap, do insane amounts of base damage with his multiple pounce 3, and turn into a Giant Wolf, pick up an enemy carry, and take him wherever you'd like.

Sun Wukong is great in every role, and everyone should learn how to play him.

Athena is probably my favorite support because she has a great taunt ability that can bring enemies out of position, a dash which slows people hit, and a nuke which can contribute pretty well in hectic team fights. Her ultimate allows her to shield an ally from a % amount of damage from across the map, from there she teleports to
them and does a brick-house worth of damage to anyone foolish enough to be standing near your friend. It's a great initiation tool that can turn a 1v1 into a 2v1 out of nowhere.

reach42 fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Mar 27, 2014

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007

Kaidyn posted:

Counterpoint to this is assault, where you can spend a lot of time in light stance and be a huge benefit to the team if both teams are just trading range attacks. Also, her "no!" in light stance annoys teammates if you have her voice pack. This is a substantial benefit.

nearly killed em!
Aug 5, 2011

I rarely play this game but when I get that feeling Ymir is my go to. The sheer amount of control you have is fantastic. It's such a shame any kind of build information seems to be horribly outdated. I've tried to jungle in a few games and had to freestyle because all the guides I found were for a jungle that does not exist.

reach42
May 20, 2008

Satan is my lord
Hail Satan, Go Hawks

bakka bakka posted:

I rarely play this game but when I get that feeling Ymir is my go to. The sheer amount of control you have is fantastic. It's such a shame any kind of build information seems to be horribly outdated. I've tried to jungle in a few games and had to freestyle because all the guides I found were for a jungle that does not exist.

I think I'm going to write-up a Conquest Guide in post 2, along with VGS information. It'll focus on Good Ward Positions and Jungle Clear Priority.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

reach42 posted:

I think I'm going to write-up a Conquest Guide in post 2, along with VGS information. It'll focus on Good Ward Positions and Jungle Clear Priority.

Some general guides would probably go a long way if put into the OP for sure, given how many new people might try the game out from it 'officially' releasing.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Is anyone going to the release event? My roommate is one of the senior programers, so I'm invited. I've never been to a live video game event, but he mentioned there would be alcohol! He also said it was totally sold out, and at some arena or something, so I assume fans are going to be traveling to go like they do for the international or something?

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Here's a little write-up about Conquest roles I posted in the old thread.

quote:

Think of your team as having a front line and a back line. Your front lane is supports and (usually) warriors. They are there to initiate, soak up damage, disrupt the field, peel when the back line is being attacked, and generally be a big fat nuisance while your back line does its thing in relative safety. The back line is mages, hunters, and sometimes assassins. They are there to do the majority of the damage output of your team from a safe distance. I say sometimes assassins because the majority of them don't do their damage at a distance, they have to be in the face of the opponent. Their job in this front/back setup is to get to the enemy back line quickly, take out as many squishies as possible, and get the hell out.

How that usually breaks down into roles:
Support - Your job is to get your lane partner as much farm as possible during the laning phase. Peel when she's initiated on, ensure she gets last hits on minions, zone, deny the other team farm, and, when possible, initiate on them to set up a kill that ideally your partner gets the killing blow on. Rotate with their support if they leave lane so mid isn't caught unaware. Late game your job is to do all the stuff I mentioned above as a front liner. You also want to be rotating to mid harpy camps when they're up to ensure your team gets them.

Carry - I'm calling this "carry" because those are the types of gods that typically fill out the duo lane with the support. This is usually a hunter but really any god who doesn't come online until late game. Do all the things mentioned above as the support's lane partner. Your job is to get big because you're a god whose late game shines. Early game, your job is to stay safe, farm, and secure kills when possible. Late game, your job is to pump out a ton of damage.

Mid - Typically a mage. In the early game your job is much the same as the carry's: get farm. As mid, your other top priority is to not let your tower fall. This seems obvious, but losing your tower means a huge loss in map control (not to mention safe farm) and makes everyone's jobs harder.

Solo - Hold the line, basically. You have an entire lane's farm all to yourself: making use of it is your top priority. Rotate to mid when you can between waves to secure mid harpies and gank occasionally, but this will be harder to do than the other lanes. Help your jungler secure your buffs or counter-jungle if you can when they're near. The most likely scenario is you won't be leaving your lane until the laning phase is over and you start grouping up.

Jungler - Usually an assassin but any god with fast clear and decent gank potential can fill this role. Roam the map securing all of the camps and set up ganks in the lanes. Your objective is disrupting the other team and giving your teammates a boost. A kill on an enemy means free, (relatively) safe farm for your teammate in that lane and sets back that enemy god a wave or two.

How to succeed at any of these roles depends on your god but these are the basics.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
So should I play this or will Hi-Rez just abandon it in a few months like Tribes?

Degs
Mar 2, 2014

Tracula posted:

So should I play this or will Hi-Rez just abandon it in a few months like Tribes?

and Global Agenda before it.

I made an account anyways, it's pretty fun so far. Apparently I picked the easiest easy mode god to get good at, though. Non-stop whispers about picking a pussy god.

Whatever, Ao Kuang is awesome.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Tracula posted:

It's been around longer than that so far, so they probably won't!

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

As an added bonus, they're in this with Tencent now, they can't up and abandon it like before unless they want to get thoroughly hosed.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Kinster posted:

and Global Agenda before it.

I made an account anyways, it's pretty fun so far. Apparently I picked the easiest easy mode god to get good at, though. Non-stop whispers about picking a pussy god.

Whatever, Ao Kuang is awesome.

Let it be known that no matter what you'll get messages from people telling you that your god is cheap/for 'noobs'/whatever the gently caress else they come up with and most of the time the evidence for that is 'you beat me with it'. It's not often that a god is legit overpowered unless they've just been introduced and levels of balance haven't been worked out yet.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

Tracula posted:

Honestly, I doubt they will. T:A was a retarded idea. Tribes is an incredibly difficult and punishing FPS+Z. People who like that aren't going to pay to win, they enjoy the challenge of being undergeared and underleveled. MOBA players are more than happy to pay to win.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I play DOTA, and kind of hate league so,

can you deny in this game?

how well is it balanced?

is it balanced because all the heros are reskins of each other a-la LoL?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Waroduce posted:

how well is it balanced?

You can't deny, as it would be a bit hard to do so given how the basic gameplay is handled with the over-the-shoulder stuff. Also kinda not needed, I guess, with the way it's set up? Balance is pretty okay barring when new gods go in which can be a little bit of a clusterfuck for a short period of time as they work it out. Also, there's a shorter roster of playable characters so they haven't had to resort to reskin syndrome that I've seen so far.

Just treat it like a more chill game than Dota that's different enough from League to be worth putting some time into if you wanna mess around. Less grinding for funpoints needed overall, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reach42
May 20, 2008

Satan is my lord
Hail Satan, Go Hawks

Waroduce posted:

how well is it balanced?

Denying is done via pushing creeps under your opponent's tower. Creeps automatically give gold and experience to everyone in the immediate vicinity when they die, but there's a pretty substantial gold (and Stacks) bonus for getting last-hits. When a tower hits a creep once it no longer gives any gold.

I would say Smite is actually pretty decently balanced. Hi-Rez has a rough time with releasing balanced new characters, but they generally get nerfed back into line fairly quickly. The characters are distinct enough imo, but I also really, Really, dislike Dota's balance so I'm probably not the most reliable source on talking about how Smite's balance relates to Dota in any respectful way.

AugmentedVision posted:

Honestly, I doubt they will. T:A was a retarded idea. Tribes is an incredibly difficult and punishing FPS+Z. People who like that aren't going to pay to win, they enjoy the challenge of being undergeared and underleveled. MOBA players are more than happy to pay to win.

Reminder: The only think you can spend money on in this game are Characters or Cosmetic Items for the Characters. The ultimate god pack allows you to unlock every character ever for $30, the price of a budget game. Smite is not pay-to-win.

Tracula posted:

Hi-Rez is all-in on Smite with an international partnership with Tencent, one of the largest game publishers in the world. Furthermore, the Smite population has been growing at a substantial clip over the last year and a half in a way their other games never did.

reach42 fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Mar 27, 2014

• Locked thread