Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

AugmentedVision posted:

Tribes is an incredibly difficult and punishing FPS+Z. People who like that aren't going to pay to win, they enjoy the challenge of being undergeared and underleveled. MOBA players are more than happy to pay to win.

You already made a similarly dumb post like this earlier, what's up with that man. Also you do know that money largely just buys cosmetics in this right, outside of the bundle for all the characters, which is a lot cheaper than what most others in this genre are offering. Hell, $30 in LoL would get you like three of their top price characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

And to add onto the others, yeah, there's definitely no pay to win poo poo. Hi-Rez has a little bit of a bad rap from Tribes for that, but they've gone into the deep end for Smite and seem to be pretty adamant on making it work while keeping it pretty open to whoever wants to play. There's the funbucks and all, but it's not that big of a grind.

reach42
May 20, 2008

Satan is my lord
Bribe officials and kill goats
Hail Satan, Go Hawks

Kinster posted:

and Global Agenda before it.

I made an account anyways, it's pretty fun so far. Apparently I picked the easiest easy mode god to get good at, though. Non-stop whispers about picking a pussy god.

Whatever, Ao Kuang is awesome.

Ao Kuang is a trill-rear end dragon. I really like getting Warlock's Sash, Gem of Isolation, and Ethereal Staff to turn him into a tanky-rear end snake with a poo poo-ton of damage. I wouldn't recommend picking up stacking items like Warlock's Sash in anything other than Conquest though.

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?
So I just got into this game despite having been invited to the beta way back when. I'm really enjoying playing Hades so far in the few practice matches I've managed to get in, can't wait to have enough Favor to unlock him. What's got me confused so far is the whole item building and such - is it generally advised to stick to your Recommended tab, or are there some out-there builds that require other stuff?

Also, do we have an official IRC/Mumble for goon Smite coordinating?

CapitanGarlic
Feb 29, 2004

Much, much more.

Tempus Rimeblood posted:

So I just got into this game despite having been invited to the beta way back when. I'm really enjoying playing Hades so far in the few practice matches I've managed to get in, can't wait to have enough Favor to unlock him. What's got me confused so far is the whole item building and such - is it generally advised to stick to your Recommended tab, or are there some out-there builds that require other stuff?

Also, do we have an official IRC/Mumble for goon Smite coordinating?

Generally the recommended tab will give you a serviceable but hardly 'optimized' build. That is, it's good for anyone learning either the game in general or a specific new god as it'll prevent the purchase of outright BAD items on that given god (arguably!), but at the same time it has no way to take into consideration the context of the game and/or game mode you're currently playing. As you learn items it's better to branch out and build as the game/team comps dictate.

The Popular tab is a good step up from Recommended as it shows what other people are building on that god, which may help you to learn how that god is generally utilized.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

I really want to drop $30 on this but I don't want to find out a month from now no one plays anymore.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Fenarisk posted:

I really want to drop $30 on this but I don't want to find out a month from now no one plays anymore.

The game has seriously been going on months now and more stuff keeps getting added. The playerbase also keeps growing, with Smite probably being up there in the rankings with Dota and League even if it's still relatively small-time.

Kaidyn
May 22, 2009

What is there left to discover about donuts...?

CapitanGarlic posted:

Generally the recommended tab will give you a serviceable but hardly 'optimized' build. That is, it's good for anyone learning either the game in general or a specific new god as it'll prevent the purchase of outright BAD items on that given god (arguably!), but at the same time it has no way to take into consideration the context of the game and/or game mode you're currently playing. As you learn items it's better to branch out and build as the game/team comps dictate.

The Popular tab is a good step up from Recommended as it shows what other people are building on that god, which may help you to learn how that god is generally utilized.

Zeus is a (debatably, judging from last thread I think?) good example of this. A lot of people consider Demonic Grip -> Polynomican pretty Core on him, similar to Freya because of his passive. However, his Recommended tab does not even have Demonic Grip under the optional Offensive section last I checked.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
The only thing you pay to win in smite...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQ4asFTaRKM

Is my heart.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Section Z posted:

The only thing you pay to win in smite...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQ4asFTaRKM

Is my heart.

Honestly skins is, IMO, where League has really dropped the ball on them not being varied enough, taking good community suggestions, or even across champions. More poo poo like this is great.

Kiran
Jul 4, 2013

Fenarisk posted:

Honestly skins is, IMO, where League has really dropped the ball on them not being varied enough, taking good community suggestions, or even across champions. More poo poo like this is great.

Most of this games skins are just recolors though, and every god has golden and legendary skins. There are a couple of really cool skins (like Poolseidan) but I really wouldn't say there's a lot of variance here either

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Yeah, the game doesn't have way too many unique skins yet. Some of them are definitely fun and fit the game well since it's partially goofy in its own way and all that. The Golden/Legendary skins are pretty boring, though.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
Yeah, the skins arent bad and there are some great ones ones, but I think that LoL is still ahead for now.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Yardbomb posted:

You already made a similarly dumb post like this earlier, what's up with that man. Also you do know that money largely just buys cosmetics in this right, outside of the bundle for all the characters, which is a lot cheaper than what most others in this genre are offering. Hell, $30 in LoL would get you like three of their top price characters.

He is right. Business wise, Tribes wasn't a good match for a F2P game. Tribes was always a "cult" game, it never reached mainstream popularity.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Fenarisk posted:

People have been playing for more than a year already.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Fenarisk posted:

Myself and several others from the old thread have been playing since like summer of 2012 and the game really does improve significantly month-to-month. This game has a little more staying power than you might think.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

I haven't played consistently, but I'll get a good kick out of this game for a week or two every six months. Worth the $30 I put down (though I might play more now that I've put it down)

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.
Gonna move over my quick Jungling Breakdown. And other things from the other thread. Feel free to use them for the OP.

quote:

Here

Here is a quick break down. You always start at the buff closest to your solo lane (it will be red or orange). You and your solo will clear that camp and you get that buff. Then you go help them get their blue buff camp next. After that you go into their lane and help clear the lane and show your presence. By the time this is done you should be around the 2 minute mark so the mid camps will be popping up. If you started at red instead of orange because your solo was on the opposite side then imagine this map as a mirror. After you get mid camps you should be running out of buff time. Go get your other buff (either red or orange depending on sides). The blue buff on that side should be gone...your duo lane should be getting it for the carry in the lane. After you get your new buff go get the smaller XP camps closer to your base.

After this point it works on a priority system. And if I had time I'd make a flow chart...but I don't so just use this priority system.

Is one enemy pushing your teammate far into lane? If yes then go gank. Ganking is first priority.
Mid camps are second priority. They will either feed the enemy jungle or the enemy mid if you don't take them. Be careful this is a hot contest area.
Solo blue is your third priority. Every time that buff pops up you need to go clear that camp and leave the buff for your solo laner.
Your buffs are next priority. You should be able to just rotate to whatever one is open. If both are up your choice should always be speed.
Lastly are the small XP camps close to base. They are XP, but small...should be fast to clear so after level 10 if you can clear them as you run to another camp in under 3 seconds do it.

Hope this helps a bit.

This is the guy to watch if you want to learn to jungle. He is a top competitive ranked team jungler who does it in every tournament Hirez puts together. I've played with and against him on a few occasions...he's an absolute monster.

And my god suggestions..

quote:

If you think you will play I'd recommend the God Pack now...

Lanes are usually:
Solo lane is the short lane (side with fire giant). Typically that is a Warrior or a Mage with a heal alone in the lane.
Duo lane is the long lane (side with gold fury). Typically that should be a Hunter (Ranged Carry) and a Support (Tank).
Mid lane is self explanatory. Typically you want a Mage with good lane clear in mid.
Jungle is...jungle...mostly Assassins fill this role, but a couple Mages and Warriors can jungle sufficiently as well.

I wouldn't play with the Recommended items. Look at the Popular tab. Usually that is a much better ruler for measuring what items to take. You can always watch streams as well, or spectate one of us Goons to see what we play and build. My IGN is OssiansFolly if you ever want to spectate a match. I wouldn't group with you (not being mean) because you'd get tossed up in my bracket and just get unfairly stomped and turned off from the game.

As for the gods you should aim at getting. (in order of importance)
Support/Tank: Sobek, Ymir, Athena
Assassin: Thanatos, Mercury, Ne Zha
Hunter: Neith (she isn't free any more, right?), Apollo, Anhur
Warrior: Sun Wukong, Guan Yu (is he free now?), Odin
Mage: Ra, Ao, Poseidon

Don't hesitate to ask more in case I missed something...

And because I can! I am going to post THREE Ra Alienware Skins! Good luck being 1 of the lucky 3 to claim them!

PXEEC4476BBC8424B2
PXEECC27AE078AB461
PXEED75537584D6444

ALL codes were claimed!

Hopefully I will see a few of you in game!

OssiansFolly fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Mar 27, 2014

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

OssiansFolly posted:

And because I can! I am going to post THREE Ra Alienware Skins! Good luck being 1 of the lucky 3 to claim them!

Dang, you gotta put these in in-game don't you? I'm stuck at work :(

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

quote:

PXEEC4476BBC8424B2
PXEECC27AE078AB461
PXEED75537584D6444

All three claimed by goons who didn't say they claimed them :argh:

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
I'm sure one day Xbalanque will get an awesome skin. He's like the best hunter in the game with like the worst recolor.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

KildarX posted:

All three claimed by goons who didn't say they claimed them :argh:

I figured that was going to happen...I should have put a reminder to post when you used it.

Kiran
Jul 4, 2013

The one thing I don't like, and do like about mobas is that I have to learn all of the champions/gods/heroes if I pick a new one. One one hand it takes forever and you can get caught doing really dumb things that you wouldnt do if you knew the enemies kit. On the other hand its really refreshing and some characters have really great designs. (Chang'e is so great ahhhh)

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

One of the things Smite could improve upon, it Gods variety/originality.

Because one of the virtues of MOBA games is how thanks to having dozens of dozens of heroes, you can have some of them that are really crazy and play in a totally unique way different than the rest of characters, having some really niche, others that have their own game system, even some that open up different meta strategies only with their presence.
Smite is a bit more conservative with their gods.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Turin Turambar posted:

One of the things Smite could improve upon, it Gods variety/originality.

Because one of the virtues of MOBA games is how thanks to having dozens of dozens of heroes, you can have some of them that are really crazy and play in a totally unique way different than the rest of characters, having some really niche, others that have their own game system, even some that open up different meta strategies only with their presence.
Smite is a bit more conservative with their gods.

It's been very hit or miss. I thought Geb was a great addition to the roster.I don't think the percentage of health hit had been done until then, and the shield is still unique. Nemesis was WILDLY overpowered in her original incarnation but a solid addition to the roster. Scylla seems kind of cut and dried on paper but manages to feel pretty unique when you play her.

Then there's Ullr, who I think is one of the most boring, uninspired gods they've ever made.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

I feel like most of the games I've played have been unique and don't really play like eachother. Even gapclosers/jumps feel different from god to god. Though I can't attest to Ullr since you know, "new god gotta play him no matter what!"

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Shab posted:

It's been very hit or miss. I thought Geb was a great addition to the roster.I don't think the percentage of health hit had been done until then, and the shield is still unique. Nemesis was WILDLY overpowered in her original incarnation but a solid addition to the roster. Scylla seems kind of cut and dried on paper but manages to feel pretty unique when you play her.

Then there's Ullr, who I think is one of the most boring, uninspired gods they've ever made.

Ullr is Jayce minus the gate thing that made Jayce feel cool to play.

Zain posted:

I feel like most of the games I've played have been unique and don't really play like eachother. Even gapclosers/jumps feel different from god to god. Though I can't attest to Ullr since you know, "new god gotta play him no matter what!"

Most of the gods' leaps have different speeds and effects. Odin's is slow but does a lot of damage. Fenrir's and Kali's are near-instant, the former stuns and the latter heals herself. Bastet can return to original location. Bakasura reduces protections. Bacchus and Anhur knock up. Hun Batz and Tyr slow.

Dross fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Mar 27, 2014

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

edit: double post

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

The only thing I really really really hope HiRez does is put more items into the game or maybe even just stop with the omni items. I mean it's kinda cool, but at the same time I'd like to have more of a choice between items.

reach42
May 20, 2008

Satan is my lord
Bribe officials and kill goats
Hail Satan, Go Hawks

Zain posted:

The only thing I really really really hope HiRez does is put more items into the game or maybe even just stop with the omni items. I mean it's kinda cool, but at the same time I'd like to have more of a choice between items.

Yeah. It's "nifty" that since the removal of Focused Voidstone it's literally impossible to hit the flat magic penetration cap. The highest you can get is +30, but people tend to go for cooldown boots nowadays anyway.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Seeing the Sith Lord Wukong skin in action is hilarious. It looks nice but those animations are soooooooo bad, especially on his 3.

EDIT: Assault really hates me tonight. Nearly every game ends up being one team full of tanks/bruisers and the other having none. Of course I'm always on the non tank/bruiser team so we get rolled.

DurosKlav fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Mar 28, 2014

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

I really, really want to like this game as the concept is a lot of fun but out of 6 games played today, 5 of them had at least 1 person on our team quit, 2 of them had 2 people quit after 20 minutes when it was an even match. I've never had so many people outright quit in any other MOBA. Even my initial bot games getting to 6 usually had a person quit or DC early on.

CapitanGarlic
Feb 29, 2004

Much, much more.

Fenarisk posted:

I really, really want to like this game as the concept is a lot of fun but out of 6 games played today, 5 of them had at least 1 person on our team quit, 2 of them had 2 people quit after 20 minutes when it was an even match. I've never had so many people outright quit in any other MOBA. Even my initial bot games getting to 6 usually had a person quit or DC early on.

As much as it sucks, the best advice for leavers is to stick it out - I haven't seen someone intentionally drop in ages, and it really started tapering off after about account level ten or fifteen.

Fightest
Nov 4, 2009

Great Sage
Equal of Heaven
This is a cool game. Unlike the other hero-clickers, Smite has an immediacy to things that you really feel when a wolf the size of a bus picks you up in its jaws and drags your rear end across half the lane.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Zain posted:

I suppose they will return the items they eliminated for now, once they change them a bit.

But, don't think the game will have many more items. You may want to have more, but for a noob it can be intimidating to see a sea of items and not knowing what to pick.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

RA SKIN GIVEAWAY!!!

They are giving away more skins! (Kind of wish I kept my key codes lol).

Hurry and go get them as I am sure they will become a hot commodity once the release party is all over again.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

OssiansFolly posted:

RA SKIN GIVEAWAY!!!

Hurry and go get them as I am sure they will become a hot commodity once the release party is all over again.

Woot, got one this time, thanks.

kojicolnair
Mar 18, 2009

OssiansFolly posted:

RA SKIN GIVEAWAY!!!

Nice I kind of wanted that skin, thanks for posting about it.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Kerrrrrrr posted:

Woot, got one this time, thanks.

kojicolnair posted:

Nice I kind of wanted that skin, thanks for posting about it.

You are both very welcome.

Remember that the pay skin for Poseidon will be pulled forever this weekend if you don't get it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darthzeta88
May 31, 2013

by Pragmatica
Holy poo poo. When I first got the god pack at the start it was only for like 40 gods. Then they extended it to release. Now its ALL the gods. Best 30 bucks spent. Or was it 40 back then? Also if the poolsideon is still available I might use my free gems on it.

• Locked thread