Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
I'm actually pretty disappointed that I haven't seen any kind of advertising or marketing in any of my usual news sources for this event. Normally I see at least some kind of reference. Has Smite even gotten to the top row of the Games section of twitch? Maybe the timezones don't let me see it, but I haven't noticed any significant viewer # spikes.

edit: Actually not just "any" advertising -- I saw a couple e-mails several weeks ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

Love Stole the Day posted:

I'm actually pretty disappointed that I haven't seen any kind of advertising or marketing in any of my usual news sources for this event. Normally I see at least some kind of reference. Has Smite even gotten to the top row of the Games section of twitch? Maybe the timezones don't let me see it, but I haven't noticed any significant viewer # spikes.

edit: Actually not just "any" advertising -- I saw a couple e-mails several weeks ago.

I'd generally blame Riot for things like that. Considering their model is damaging to e-sports. (Not saying they're the reason, but their tourney is going on too so :iiam: )

Fenarisk posted:

Can any champs work extremely well just jungling? Is the meta seeming to go for 1/1/2 or more 2/1/2? I ask because trying out champs in jungle practice has made me really, really want to play Loki.
A lot of Gods can jungle, assassins are generally considered the "best" at it, but so far I haven't really met a god that really couldn't. While there is a "meta" in SMITE it's more laxed than say LoL's. It's best to have a jungle but that jungler can be almost anyone. And Guardians don't have to be support only as there are plenty of other gods that can do that just as well.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Zain posted:

These games are always so back and forth and I love it. I don't know who to cheer for Cognitive or Dignatas.

I'm really rooting for Team Dig. These games are great.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Zain posted:

I'd generally blame Riot for things like that. Considering their model is damaging to e-sports. (Not saying they're the reason, but their tourney is going on too so :iiam: )

A lot of Gods can jungle, assassins are generally considered the "best" at it, but so far I haven't really met a god that really couldn't. While there is a "meta" in SMITE it's more laxed than say LoL's. It's best to have a jungle but that jungler can be almost anyone. And Guardians don't have to be support only as there are plenty of other gods that can do that just as well.

Like he said, I've seen most any configuration work. There's usually someone who wants to park their rear end in jungle, though, and assassins are generally some of the better suited ones for it since it lets them pop out just about anywhere in lane to help pick off overextending gods. It's rare for a god to not have some sort of AoE junk that could let them clear jungle camps, though.

bara godzilla
Jul 27, 2010

Zain posted:

These games are always so back and forth and I love it. I don't know who to cheer for Cognitive or Dignatas.

So far how many gods have been picked in the tourney? I want to say the vast majority.

Root for DiG because Dignitas has some of the chillest, most level-headed players in the scene, while COG for the most part has some of the worst role models for an up-and-coming esports community.

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~
I haven't played in over a year so I have no grasp of tier-lists and OP heroes. What makes Nemesis and Zeus instant-bans?

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.
I don't suppose we have an IRC channel or something, do we? I was thinking of checking this out again now that it's been fully released.

eonblue174
Sep 13, 2011

Still chipping away at the Anthem killer

Chop, chop, chop
Is there a replacement for winged wand? I hadn't played since they made the big item change a month or so ago and when I got back in I couldn't find it.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

theDOWmustflow posted:

I haven't played in over a year so I have no grasp of tier-lists and OP heroes. What makes Nemesis and Zeus instant-bans?

Zeus for the fact that he's SUPER HIGH damage in an AoE and can more than likely stun. Nemesis is just she's super escapey and kind of obnoxious with the reflexive shield. Wouldn't say either is OP more than people don't want to fight against them. ESPECIALLY if you have a Zeus and Odin because that is a guarantee that Zues' ultimate will be hitting constantly.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Zain posted:

Zeus for the fact that he's SUPER HIGH damage in an AoE and can more than likely stun. Nemesis is just she's super escapey and kind of obnoxious with the reflexive shield. Wouldn't say either is OP more than people don't want to fight against them. ESPECIALLY if you have a Zeus and Odin because that is a guarantee that Zues' ultimate will be hitting constantly.

So I have a legit excuse for my poo poo getting kicked in by a Zeus today :v:?

[e] Wow, most of these costumes as lazy as hell (again, coming from DOTA 2).

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

DrManiac posted:

So I have a legit excuse for my poo poo getting kicked in by a Zeus today :v:?

[e] Wow, most of these costumes as lazy as hell (again, coming from DOTA 2).

Yeah, at the moment every character just gets a guaranteed recolor and their Gold-Legendary skin. There's some actual good ones around too, but obviously the recolors outnumber them.

reach42
May 20, 2008

Satan is my lord
Bribe officials and kill goats
Hail Satan, Go Hawks

eonblue174 posted:

Is there a replacement for winged wand? I hadn't played since they made the big item change a month or so ago and when I got back in I couldn't find it.

Winged Blade, in the same category as Fatalis and Witch-blade.

Brackhar posted:

I don't suppose we have an IRC channel or something, do we? I was thinking of checking this out again now that it's been fully released.

irc://irc.synirc.net/smite

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

I don't think anyone has been in #smite on SynIRC in forever.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
In as Same name as SA account, been having some fun so far, I like that 5500 seems to be the highest favor a hero can cost (without being the newest release), and you can grind that in about 2-3 days of first wins. I'm having incredible luck with Anubis in every game mode, he just does incredible burst at really great range (seems kind of weird that his super long range DoT nuke does almost the same damage-per-tick as his melee range cone, though), it's especially hilarious against dudes like Ra because I just sidestep all his lasers while dropping spooky hands at their feet.

It would seem like getting ganked would be the hardest part of playing Anubis what with him having no real escapes, but so far I've been able to counter ganks by just bandaging the ganker and walking away while dropping the spooky hands at my feet, since you can cast that without stopping. Maybe i'l have more trouble with them as I play against better gankers, though.

So far my best luck has been leveling spooky hands > wavy bandage > anime beam > bugparty, with bugparty not getting any levels until wavy and spooky are leveled to max.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Mar 31, 2014

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~
Yeah, except bandage helps you escape only one guy while a leap or dash can escape an entire team. He's way too fragile for me to comfortably play in solo queue.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Neurolimal posted:

In as Same name as SA account, been having some fun so far, I like that 5500 seems to be the highest favor a hero can cost (without being the newest release), and you can grind that in about 2-3 days of first wins. I'm having incredible luck with Anubis in every game mode, he just does incredible burst at really great range (seems kind of weird that his super long range DoT nuke does almost the same damage-per-tick as his melee range cone, though), it's especially hilarious against dudes like Ra because I just sidestep all his lasers while dropping spooky hands at their feet.

It would seem like getting ganked would be the hardest part of playing Anubis what with him having no real escapes, but so far I've been able to counter ganks by just bandaging the ganker and walking away while dropping the spooky hands at my feet, since you can cast that without stopping. Maybe i'l have more trouble with them as I play against better gankers, though.

So far my best luck has been leveling spooky hands > wavy bandage > anime beam > bugparty, with bugparty not getting any levels until wavy and spooky are leveled to max.

Put a point in his 1 just for the wave clear. And Anubis isn't very good, there's way too many ways to deal with his bullshit, and his laning isn't really... good.

That said, he's really fun!

eonblue174
Sep 13, 2011

Chop, chop, chop

reach42 posted:

Winged Blade, in the same category as Fatalis and Witch-blade.

irc://irc.synirc.net/smite

Perfect, thanks! I had a speed Ymir arena build that I favored, but I was missing that component.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

eonblue174 posted:

Perfect, thanks! I had a speed Ymir arena build that I favored, but I was missing that component.

Ummm Speed/Roaming Ymir is the way to go for any occasion. If only to to sip pubbie tears as their crying about your item choices gradually morphs into mental gymnastics as they try to come to terms with this Blue Hare-footed Absolute loving Nightmare.

Here's the build I started using for anyone who wants to try it out: http://www.smitefire.com/smite/guide/roaming-ymir-updated-20-09-2013-789

That's probably the one thing that I don't understand in games like this, when you venture outside the common build types people will immediately start calling foul and all but give up 30 seconds into the game. I used to play a lot of League Conquest and I went on a solo Aphro kick for a good 2 weeks and almost every game some shithead would start going off about how I ruined the game, etc.. But my win rate was around 75% with her at the time. :psyduck:

The same thing used to happen when me and my buddy would duo lane aphro/bastet in unranked. It's a really weird combo for duo lane but we could do a lot of cool things with it that you can't do with other combos and it worked really really well. Didn't stop the pubbie tears though.

Another "meta game" thing I kind of take offense to is meditation, I take it a lot of times because I like to play really aggressively. I use my skills like it's going out of style and it allows me to stay in the lane longer.

maniacripper fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Mar 31, 2014

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
How often do they change the hero rotation? I'm getting a bit tired of the current crew.

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?
Isn't it weekly?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

No, it's whenever they patch, usually. So that's been about every two weeks.

eonblue174
Sep 13, 2011

Chop, chop, chop
Yep, that's the same build I had referenced, and it messes folks up so bad! It's the only way I could do pub Ymir and help, there are enough freezes going on that tunnel vision players can't help but take advantage.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

It could be that I'm still playing in low ranks but the community of this game certainly feels less caustic. If dudes rage quit they usually do it silently. I don't think I've been yelled at or seen any one get yelled at but once out of thirty or so games.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

KildarX posted:

It could be that I'm still playing in low ranks but the community of this game certainly feels less caustic. If dudes rage quit they usually do it silently. I don't think I've been yelled at or seen any one get yelled at but once out of thirty or so games.

It probably helps that people can't move their camera to watch your every mistake and bitch about it. For all they know that thanatos that ganked the poo poo out of you was dendi IRL

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Love Stole the Day posted:

Smite routinely gets 1-3,000 viewers. I'm not sure how you're missing it on the big board of games, it's always on the third or fourth row.

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~

KildarX posted:

Probably because a lot people haven't yet learned the voice key commands and it's a pain in the rear end to type while moving your third person WASD controlled character. Whether it's out of laziness or deliberate game design by Hi-Rez, there's a definite structural effect by not including in-game voice chat.

There's plenty of "Good Game!" "Good Game!" "Good Game!" spammers but usually that's the worst flaming I experience since it's a pain in the rear end to type when you're alive.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

KildarX posted:

Less possible to try and micromanage your entire team and/or know what they're up to at every single second, so it's harder to pin the blame. They usually do just quit out of nowhere because they have no idea who to pin it on. (it's probably themselves)

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
Does VGG still have a quasi retarded sounding guy behind the mic yelling GANK? This is crucial to me.

Also Ra ruled

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Servaetes posted:

Does VGG still have a quasi retarded sounding guy behind the mic yelling GANK? This is crucial to me.

Also Ra ruled

Yeah? I guess not sure but it's been the same guy since I started playing.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

Less possible to try and micromanage your entire team and/or know what they're up to at every single second, so it's harder to pin the blame. They usually do just quit out of nowhere because they have no idea who to pin it on. (it's probably themselves)

Probably for the best really.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Servaetes posted:

Also Ra ruled
I've been playing for about a year now, and the default VGS voice actor has not changed (although they did add quite a few new lines)

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~
For those of you who missed the TenCent Smite promo video during the Smite Launch weekend, here it is in all its glory. Worth clicking if for some reason you have listening to a Chinese voice actor do a Swedish(?) accent on your bucket list.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtJ3m4r5m-M

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

theDOWmustflow posted:

For those of you who missed the TenCent Smite promo video during the Smite Launch weekend, here it is in all its glory. Worth clicking if for some reason you have listening to a Chinese voice actor do a Swedish(?) accent on your bucket list.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtJ3m4r5m-M

What a weird, weird video. Truly China is a unique market.

bara godzilla
Jul 27, 2010

Servaetes posted:

Also Ra ruled

The default VGS voice actor has remained the same since alpha. However, now, players are allowed to purchase voice packs with gems as a sort of "skin" for their personal VGS when playing the corresponding god, so there's a lot more variety.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

DLTN posted:

The default VGS voice actor has remained the same since alpha. However, now, players are allowed to purchase voice packs with gems as a sort of "skin" for their personal VGS when playing the corresponding god, so there's a lot more variety.

Geb voice pack is the best voice pack.

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

"I came here to argue with you about a freaking television show!"
I ROCK SO .. HARD

But I love his joke taunt "Do not.. take me... for granite!"

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Just chiming in to say it really sucks when you get an all-magic team in ARAM, especially if the enemy team wises up and buys gaia stones (100 marmor, 2% max health regeneration).

Also if any new players try out the gimmick mode, try to get your team to stack all-monkeys, not only is 5x fear totems hilarious, but it also shits all over the wannabe enemy lokis who cant aim their ults.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Apr 1, 2014

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

I really hope SMITE/HiRez branch out for difficult cultures' gods. There's a lot for Hindu, Greek, and Chinese sure, but I feel like there could be more from other places.

Hey! Bastet Visual Update: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1EJmVK1biAnPXJdIInk4pyyXOCO6kXeXgLu0bJmk-kbk/pub

I'm actually surprised that Ullr hasn't been nerfed yet.

Zain fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Apr 1, 2014

bara godzilla
Jul 27, 2010

more needless basic attack progressions

ridiculous kali buff

no thanatos nerfs, no nemesis nerfs, no zeus nerfs, no chaac nerfs, no ullr nerfs

reverting the zhong kui nerf

great patch,

bara godzilla fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Apr 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

I wouldn't say most of those gods need a nerf outside of Ullr for sure.

Zhong Kui got a slight buff because it's not revert. He can be controlled while ulting now so he's still a terror that's controllable.

• Locked thread