Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

"I came here to argue with you about a freaking television show!"
The only god I think still needs a nerf is Nemesis, and as an aside I have always said Freya needs an increase to her CDR to balance her out, no one was really using Kali as an assassin STILL but she is still insanely good (now they will cuz she might be broken now),

So today I pull off a quadra, almost a penta in arena but the enemy poseidon BLINKED away .. so upset (Penta eludes me so), and then I believe this might be my first flawless assault (That should be a medal)

https://account.hirezstudios.com/smitegame/match-details.aspx?EUSER=&match=54419709

EDIT: SO I just read the patch, essentially Kali's ult is going to make her unstoppable...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Link to the patch?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I hope some day they buff gods like Anubis, Arachne or Ares. They don't seem to mesh well with the current meta.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

Link to the patch?

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1EJmVK1biAnPXJdIInk4pyyXOCO6kXeXgLu0bJmk-kbk/pub

Here you go.

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~

Zain posted:

I really hope SMITE/HiRez branch out for difficult cultures' gods. There's a lot for Hindu, Greek, and Chinese sure, but I feel like there could be more from other places.

The decision to have both the Greek and Roman pantheon is puzzling to me, does anyone know the justification for that? Are they really going to have Mars AND Ares, etc.?

It would be awesome if they explored the ancient Mesopotamian pantheon (e.g., Baal, Ishtaar) or the various Native American mythos.

theDOWmustflow fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Apr 2, 2014

bara godzilla
Jul 27, 2010

Dvlos posted:

The only god I think still needs a nerf is Nemesis

Zain posted:

I wouldn't say most of those gods need a nerf outside of Ullr for sure.

you guys are joking, right

all of the gods i listed are easily top pick/ban status, and in fact there are several more that i could have listed as well—Ra, Tyr, Odin, etc. (but i figured i should only list the ones that honestly anyone should realize are stupid strong right now)

bara godzilla fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Apr 2, 2014

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

DLTN posted:

you guys are joking, right

all of the gods i listed are easily top pick/ban status, and in fact there are several more that i could have listed as well—Ra, Tyr, Odin, etc. (but i figured i should only list the ones that honestly anyone should realize are stupid strong right now)

I am serious Zeus is only "op" in team fights he has a ton of glaring weaknesses. He gets banned for his ult in league but in normal play he usually goes down. That's not always either, played a league match Zeus wasn't banned and someone took him early we took 2 warriors (Tyr and Vamana) and good ganks shut him down hard.

If anything Ares needs a modified work up. He is a great Dmg tank. He isn't a peeler so maybe they want him that way. His ult is avoidable but a good cdr ares or in a conquest match not everyone can get beads or have beads up fast enough.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

theDOWmustflow posted:

The decision to have both the Greek and Roman pantheon is puzzling to me, does anyone know the justification for that? Are they really going to have Mercury AND Ares, etc.?

It would be awesome if they explored the ancient Mesopotamian pantheon (e.g., Baal, Ishtaar) or the various Native American mythos.

Because Roman is Greek by a different name. They really did take gods from the Greek pantheon and didn't really make them their own.

When Pigs Cry
Oct 23, 2012
Buglord

Dvlos posted:

I am serious Zeus is only "op" in team fights he has a ton of glaring weaknesses. He gets banned for his ult in league but in normal play he usually goes down. That's not always either, played a league match Zeus wasn't banned and someone took him early we took 2 warriors (Tyr and Vamana) and good ganks shut him down hard.

Zeus destroys mid harpies, does a zillion damage, and has a pretty much guaranteed stun. I'm going to go ahead and guess that that guy you played against was pretty bad.

Also, in a few minutes, a dude from Hirez is giving out hell of Guan Yu codes. http://pastebin.com/YdSwgVUJ

When Pigs Cry fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Apr 2, 2014

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Jesus christ, just about every random one I try has already been taken and the others keep telling me there's been a problem with my request.

Wow, apparently that means it was taken too. So how many bullshit bots just got lucky I wonder. :(

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Apr 2, 2014

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Well goodbye my chances of getting the Guan Yu skin. Man I don't even understand how people are this fast.

Zain fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Apr 2, 2014

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

"drat. The internet is a crazy place. The 450 codes were claimed in 4 minutes."

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~

Zain posted:

Because Roman is Greek by a different name. They really did take gods from the Greek pantheon and didn't really make them their own.

Oops I typo'd, meant to say Mars and Ares. I was asking why Hi-Rez chose to have the Roman and Greek pantheon for exactly this reason.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

theDOWmustflow posted:

Oops I typo'd, meant to say Mars and Ares. I was asking why Hi-Rez chose to have the Roman and Greek pantheon for exactly this reason.

It is kind of weird, but it could just be "because their names are cool sounding" more than anything.

reach42
May 20, 2008

Satan is my lord
Bribe officials and kill goats
Hail Satan, Go Hawks

Yardbomb posted:

"drat. The internet is a crazy place. The 450 codes were claimed in 4 minutes."

They have an e-bay value of $60 a pop, so yeah. Doesn't surprise me.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I'm personally convinced the split between Greek/Roman in Smite it's so Zeus wouldn't have to pay child support for Herc. No, see, He's the son of "Jupiter", I got nothing to do with that kid who clearly takes after a very handsome father, that is not me.

Also, huh. They took the :furcry: Catgirl and made her :japan: Catgirl. Yet for some strange reason the question I find myself asking is, will she have dumb high heels now? Not seeing any Ult changes in those patch notes, is her cat summon ult still nearly useless as the match progresses and an AoE attack sneezing in their general direction will wipe them all out like it was the last time I ever tried to use her?

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

I love playing Chang'e, but I feel I'm terrible with her. Can someone write some tips/build suggestions for her?

e: vvv Oops. I forgot the game was on and started playing Diablo 3 anyway. :shobon:

Tsurupettan fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Apr 2, 2014

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?
Is anyone else having problems with Smite after the latest patch? It's crashed on me three times tonight, even managed to bring my whole PC down with it once.

EDIT: Also, sorry for disappearing, Tsurupettan. Smite kinda poo poo out on me...again.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
So some friends of mine who I play LoL with recommended this game to me a few days ago. Today (well, yesterday technically) I decided to finish downloading it since I had thought I quit before due to my connection being too bad to handle it and anything else, only to discover that it was apparently completely installed. After making myself an account I played the tutorial, the forced vs AI Joust, and a vs AI Arena game, latter two as Ra, and it's pretty fun so far. Had the game auto-leveling and buying, because I have no idea what I should be going for, but it's pretty neat.

Are there any resources for information besides this thread, though? Would like to check some things out, learn more, etc.

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~
For not horrible God guides check out http://www.smitefire.com/

The Smite Subreddit at /r/smite has a pretty useful wiki on heroes, items, and mechanics as well.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
The Roman/Greek dichotomy is purely a result of some gods' names being more recognizable in pop culture.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

theDOWmustflow posted:

The decision to have both the Greek and Roman pantheon is puzzling to me, does anyone know the justification for that? Are they really going to have Mars AND Ares, etc.?

Zain posted:

They are going for recognizability there, I think. Hercules/Cupid/Mercury are much more instantly recognizable to most people than Heracles/Eros/Hermes.

efb

vv I always, always feel awkward saying "Xbalanque" and in fact if wikipedia is to be believed, he mispronounces his own name. It should be three syllables, not four. Shba-LAN-ke.

Dross fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Apr 2, 2014

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Shab posted:

The Roman/Greek dichotomy is purely a result of some gods' names being more recognizable in pop culture.

Yeah, Hercules, Bacchus, Cupid, Mercury and Vulcan are a bit easier to read/recognize for most people than Herakles, Dionysus, Eros, Hermes, Haephestus. They're not gonna put in both Mars and Ares, that'd be dumb.

Of course then they put in gods like Xbalanque and Zhong Kui that most people probably can't even pronounce, so

edit f; MORE BEATEN

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

Dross posted:

They are going for recognizability there, I think. Hercules/Cupid/Mercury are much more instantly recognizable to most people than Heracles/Eros/Hermes.

efb

By that token, Mayan should include Aztec dudes as Quetzcoatl is probably slightly more known than Kukuman(sp?) although both obscure, hopefully they finish a "team" for each pantheon then work on new ones. Mage/Warrior/Assassin/Hunter/Support-Guardian for each pantheon I mean.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Dvlos posted:

By that token, Mayan should include Aztec dudes as Quetzcoatl is probably slightly more known than Kukuman(sp?) although both obscure, hopefully they finish a "team" for each pantheon then work on new ones. Mage/Warrior/Assassin/Hunter/Support-Guardian for each pantheon I mean.

Let's just call it the Mesoamerican pantheon then. And it needs magic damage anyway, Quetz would make a great mage.

Grey Elephants
Jul 23, 2013
I started playing this yesterday and I've been having a blast as Ymir, Leitha, and Sun Wukong in low level conquest. Something odd though- I haven't had my sexuality, race, or creed insulted even once. Does the community get more toxic at higher levels or is it actually a better community than, say, LoL?

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Grey Elephants posted:

I started playing this yesterday and I've been having a blast as Ymir, Leitha, and Sun Wukong in low level conquest. Something odd though- I haven't had my sexuality, race, or creed insulted even once. Does the community get more toxic at higher levels or is it actually a better community than, say, LoL?

Don't worry, it'll feel like home soon enough.

Although honestly more often it's just VGS spam harassment which is hilarious to me even when it happens to me so I don't mind.

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.
I can see the pop-culture argument, but how is mercury, a name I would guess, reminds most people of a deadly chemical, instead of Hermes, which has at least a delivery company going for it? Maybe that's just me a being a European.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

skipThings posted:

I can see the pop-culture argument, but how is mercury, a name I would guess, reminds most people of a deadly chemical, instead of Hermes, which has at least a delivery company going for it? Maybe that's just me a being a European.

Yeah as an American I am not familiar with Hermes delivery company but I do know that Mercury the planet is named after Mercury the messenger of the gods.

Though by that logic Poseidon should have been Neptune etc.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Zain posted:

Um, no. It only looks this way through the lens of time. The Roman and Greek eras are are separated by enough time and space that you can really consider them separate sets of gods, even if some of the names/traits were reused.

Since nothing was codified about either of these religions (no bible), there was a huge amount of variation in practice from place to place, i.e. each cult was more or less unique. This is why the high-level summaries on Wikipedia are so vague and horoscope-like: it's not easy to condense a ton of differing viewpoints into anything that makes sense.

Now that I've said that, though, I think there is a lot of truth to this:

Shab posted:

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Dvlos posted:

Yeah, Quetzcoatl could make for a badass character model, but in thinking about his skills, I can't seem him as being anything other then a clone of Ao Kuang.

Dross posted:

Yeah as an American I am not familiar with Hermes delivery company but I do know that Mercury the planet is named after Mercury the messenger of the gods.

I actually looked this up when they released Mercury, because the first thing that came to mind was this:

The 'winged sandal' depicted in the logo belongs to Mercury.

http://www.goodyear.com/corporate/history/history_origin.html

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

Squashy Nipples posted:

Yeah, Quetzcoatl could make for a badass character model, but in thinking about his skills, I can't seem him as being anything other then a clone of Ao Kuang.

I was thinking mage, but more in line with ZK with CC stuns (boa constrictor type move?) who knows. Hindu panth is getting a release I guess soon.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I played this in beta and had fun but after purchasing the "all gods now and forever" pack I'm having a blast. So far I've discovered that I'm absolutely horrible with Ullr, but can roll pretty well with Thanatos and Anhur. Are the in-game guides worth watching, and are the recommended items generally ok for new players? Not sure I have enough knowledge to sort through the garbage on Smitefire.com yet as I can with sites for LoL.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Squashy Nipples posted:

Um, no. It only looks this way through the lens of time. The Roman and Greek eras are are separated by enough time and space that you can really consider them separate sets of gods, even if some of the names/traits were reused.

Well that's the thing about the Great Roman Empire is that they didn't have any "original" ideas. They just took ideas from other places and made them their own. It's not a bad thing and yeah they were a few hundred years apart, but they looked at things that worked.

pahuyuth posted:

I played this in beta and had fun but after purchasing the "all gods now and forever" pack I'm having a blast. So far I've discovered that I'm absolutely horrible with Ullr, but can roll pretty well with Thanatos and Anhur. Are the in-game guides worth watching, and are the recommended items generally ok for new players? Not sure I have enough knowledge to sort through the garbage on Smitefire.com yet as I can with sites for LoL.
I haven't seen any ingame guides, but I'd say to get better it's just a good idea to ignore guides and trail and error most of this stuff. Recommended can give you a hint for sure and sometimes when I'm at a loss look at it.

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!

Zain posted:

Well that's the thing about the Great Roman Empire is that they didn't have any "original" ideas. They just took ideas from other places and made them their own. It's not a bad thing and yeah they were a few hundred years apart, but they looked at things that worked.

Their origin story was literally a Trojan War fan-fic.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Grey Elephants posted:

In my limited experience the community is overall really decent as far as MOBAs go. Generally they seem to prefer positive/humorous voice compliments to typing out insults.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

a medical mystery posted:

In my limited experience the community is overall really decent as far as MOBAs go. Generally they seem to prefer positive/humorous voice compliments to typing out insults.

Yeah, something about the VGS system really takes the wind out of the sails of would-be harassers. I guess in the end it's easier to spam VVGG sarcastically over and over than craft an offhandedly bigoted insult.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

Holy boobies Catwoman!

Some of the changes looked good. I like the Zhong change and the updated art for Bastet. I think that Ullr needed something...but I can't figure out what it is.

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

There are some punks at times who will just look at k/d and start blaming them for the loss of a game. There are others who are more positive, I think there have been so many comeback games people have experienced, some have come to realize it's not really always "lost" early on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~

Holy poo poo this entire time I thought that thing in the middle was a gas pump. Like the part you hold.

• Locked thread