Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Snak posted:

I genuinely curious about this, because every description I can find online of how ReadD 3D works, says that it uses alternating frames at a rate of 144fps. Do you have a source for this?

I thought I did, but when I went to look at it it turned out my source said exactly what you said, so apparently the source was my rear end and I'm wrong! Sorry!

EDIT: Apparently I was thinking of Imax 3D, which uses two projecters

Reveilled fucked around with this message at 15:23 on May 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Full Battle Rattle posted:

I bet Andrew W.K. could pick it up.

While this is obviously true, let's keep this discussion film-focused and leave the comics (which don't directly apply to this film) out of it.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Vargo posted:

While this is obviously true, let's keep this discussion film-focused and leave the comics (which don't directly apply to this film) out of it.

Alright.

SMG you don't read comics right? Like taking it to BSS. Just curious because you usually have worthwhile interpretations and insight to discuss.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Moriatti posted:

So what does Stan Lee getting fired mean in this parable?

The plebes are disposable, don't waste brain power thinking about them unless they prove themselves exceptional. (boot straps)

But seriously, SMG's idea, while interesting, is kind of unnecessary. Red Skull's master plan was to burn everything and start the world over with his vision.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
On the topic of 3D, The 144 FPS thing is just shuttering as the projector wheel rotates in a DLP projector. It does that for 2D and Dolby 3D too. It's just shuttered 24 Hz, here's no motion interpolation so it may seem stuttery if you're used to HFR imagery or even a modern TV. This is one reason why movies don't get that bright; the stutter is more pronounced.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

That's exactly it.

Superman is obviously linked by the sun imagery - the hammer was "forged in the heart of a dying star," just as Superman comes from a planet with a dying red sun.

I've written in other threads that Asgard is essentially a Krypton that hasn't destroyed itself yet - the hammer survives from some other system's star. Unlike Superman, then, Thor never 'learned his lesson'. Superman is fighting to prevent Krypton's fate from happening to Earth, while Thor would guide Earth into becoming like Asgard.

In Avengers specifically, Asgard serves as a vision of Earth's ideal future - ideal in terms of Marvel's ideological universe. That's why they're given control of the cube (keeping it away from Hydra!) for the happy ending.

As for what makes Odin worthy of all this power, I have no idea. Man Of Steel is relentlessly critical of this gold-costumed aristocracy. By making Captain America and Superman into champions of Asgard, though, it implies that Asgard is the culmination of their ideals too. But since when does Captain America fight for a monarchy? It's blatant appropriation of their revolutionary imagery.

You might be happy to learn that in most current continuities Asgard has also been destroyed, and Thor (who has replaced Odin as the All-Father) basically has a small portion of it relocating around Earth looking for a suitable place to call home.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

That's exactly it.

Superman is obviously linked by the sun imagery - the hammer was "forged in the heart of a dying star," just as Superman comes from a planet with a dying red sun.

I've written in other threads that Asgard is essentially a Krypton that hasn't destroyed itself yet - the hammer survives from some other system's star. Unlike Superman, then, Thor never 'learned his lesson'. Superman is fighting to prevent Krypton's fate from happening to Earth, while Thor would guide Earth into becoming like Asgard.

In Avengers specifically, Asgard serves as a vision of Earth's ideal future - ideal in terms of Marvel's ideological universe. That's why they're given control of the cube (keeping it away from Hydra!) for the happy ending.

As for what makes Odin worthy of all this power, I have no idea. Man Of Steel is relentlessly critical of this gold-costumed aristocracy. By making Captain America and Superman into champions of Asgard, though, it implies that Asgard is the culmination of their ideals too. But since when does Captain America fight for a monarchy? It's blatant appropriation of their revolutionary imagery.

Captain America fights for a monarchy because the Marvel movies hold sacred at their core the triumph of the ideology of Sideshow Bob over true Democratic Republicanism.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Wade Wilson posted:

You might be happy to learn that in most current continuities Asgard has also been destroyed, and Thor (who has replaced Odin as the All-Father) basically has a small portion of it relocating around Earth looking for a suitable place to call home.

Asgard was destroyed/crashed down on Oklahoma for a while (just floated off again recently after a few years) but Thor's not the All-Father, Asgard is ruled by an All-Mother trinity.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I watched Guardians of the Galaxy last month, and then I watched this last night.

I can't decide which one is the best Marvel film to date. I'm leaning towards the former but this one was also excellent. The obvious parallels between HYDRA and NSA were just too good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

enraged_camel posted:

I watched Guardians of the Galaxy last month, and then I watched this last night.

I can't decide which one is the best Marvel film to date. I'm leaning towards the former but this one was also excellent. The obvious parallels between HYDRA and NSA were just too good.

Agreed, I like them both equally but I can't think of another generally lighthearted adventure movie flick where they just straight up say the secret US government organization is evil. Usually it's like there's one or two corrupt guys that the real US government saves but this had lots of fake cops, etc. and Captain just says straight up that Shield and HYDRA/Nazis are the same which is pretty rare. They also did a great job having the movie end on a "stuff is no permanently changed across the entire universe" note despite having it be a really focused and tight story about Cap/Winter Soldier/etc. Really impressive.

• Locked thread