Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Captain America: The Winter Soldier

The Captain America sequel is finally here. Since you yanks aren't getting it for another week, I'll keep my review spoiler-free.

This was a great movie and a better effort than the first one. The movie tosses a lot of characters in your face, both old and new, but despite this and the heavy action, the movie manages to give all of the main cast just enough character development for them to not feel like cardboard cutouts (arguably a consistent strength of the Marvel Studios films). The costumes, set-pieces and action are so slick that I fear the upcoming X-Men film will look rather lame in comparison. At 136 minutes, it's a long movie but it doesn't wear out its welcome.

Like the other movies, this film had a mid-credits stinger, which I will spoiler:
We see a secret Hydra lab where Baron Strucker is keeping Loki's mind-control staff from The Avengers and the Maximoff twins.

Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82RKQPgeYRs

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Mar 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009
How was Georges' performance? He has seemed awkward in his other attempts at acting, but A Frenchman who is one of the world's best martial artists should fall within his range.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Hopefully I'm watching the movie this Saturday with my friends, and oddly, for a Captain America movie I'm excited about it.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Sprecherscrow posted:

How was Georges' performance? He has seemed awkward in his other attempts at acting, but A Frenchman who is one of the world's best martial artists should fall within his range.
In an early part of the movie, Cap raids a ship that has been hijacked by pirates. He almost effortlessly swats aside every goon he comes across except for this one French guy, who holds his own against Cap so well that I wondered if he was another super-soldier. Cap even discards his shield and helmet to make their fistfight fairer. It was an odd scene in an otherwise very tight movie. I suppose if the actor who played French Ninja is this celebrity prizefighter, this strange treatment makes more sense.

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Mar 26, 2014

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Baron Bifford posted:

In an early part of the movie, Cap raids a ship that has been hijacked by pirates. He almost effortlessly swats aside every goon he comes across except for this one French guy, who holds his own against Cap so well that I wondered if he was another super-soldier. Cap even discards his shield and helmet to make their fistfight fairer. It was an odd scene in an otherwise very tight movie. I suppose if the actor who played French Ninja is this celebrity prizefighter, this strange treatment makes more sense.

He's also playing a character from the comics, and the leader of the pirates I believe. So it's not just one random pirate.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Aphrodite posted:

He's also playing a character from the comics, and the leader of the pirates I believe. So it's not just one random pirate.
He did not have a costume and dressed like the other goons, so that fight scene made little sense. In a superhero movie, all true badasses should be wearing silly costumes.

This is the "costume" he wore in the film:

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Mar 26, 2014

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

He's most likely Bartoc the Leaper if I'm recalling right

It seems like the ad campaign is intent on spoiling who the Winter Soldier is. Does the film feel like this matters? What I mean is, does it make this huge build up and then when the reveal comes it feels flat because "oh, well the ads kinda made that clear."

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I know a lot of people may have seen it here, but one of my friends watching it didn't catch this near the end of the film, Nick Fury's headstone at the end of the movie quotes Ezekiel 25:17. I liked that.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

OldTennisCourt posted:

He's most likely Bartoc the Leaper if I'm recalling right

It seems like the ad campaign is intent on spoiling who the Winter Soldier is. Does the film feel like this matters? What I mean is, does it make this huge build up and then when the reveal comes it feels flat because "oh, well the ads kinda made that clear."

Being a comic fan, I already knew who the Winter Soldier was, so it's hard for me to judge what the layman would think. However, I do not think the revelation is a major plot twist, it's just another emotional moment for Steve - ie it's not a "Luke, I'm your father" moment. I don't think it will really matter if you spoil that one plot point.

More in-depth:
Early in the film Steve visits a museum exhibition where the backstory of the first film is retold, with a rather strong emphasis placed on Bucky. That makes the revelation less surprising; it's sort of like Chekov's gun.

A major dramatic theme of this film is Steve dealing with the past, the friends and lovers he has lost and the fact that being a warrior is all he is now. He bonds with Falcon, who is a fellow veteran. He visits his old girlfriend, now a senile old widow. And then he meets Bucky, whom Hydra has transformed into a warrior-slave. It's just another emotional moment.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
Saw the film today with a friend, absolutely worth it.

Spoiler stuff (seriously do not read if you haven't already seen it):

Yeah, thats Batroc the Leaper at the start of the film, his name - just the Batroc part - brought up when the pirates are IDed. He's a french (though in the film, Algerian born) merc who's a skilled martial artist, with a particular focus on his legs, hence in the film he does a lot of kicks as well.

The film had way more twists than I really expected there to be, but in a way, it makes sense. Iron Man 3 relied upon setting up a big bad in its trailers and then pulling the rug out from under the viewers regarding said villain, so it seems like the team behind this film went in quite aware that people would be suspicious. So they did the build up regarding the Winter Soldier and the 'twist' of his identity, to cover up the whole platitude of sudden turns the film has going for it.

Fuckin' Arnim Zola turned out to be more dangerous than the Red Skull ever was. Hot drat.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Soooooo one thing I couldn't stop thinking about after the film.

What the gently caress are they going to do with Agents of SHIELD now?

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Moola posted:

Soooooo one thing I couldn't stop thinking about after the film.

What the gently caress are they going to do with Agents of SHIELD now?

Apparently, the upcoming run of episodes is gonna be dealing with the aftermath of the film. Guess something like the team becoming their own individual force, or potentially Fury's remaining asset as he hangs out in Europe. Either way, Agent 13 is gonna appear.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

So Sam Jackson dies?

strangeneighbor
Feb 13, 2014

Uncle Wemus posted:

So Sam Jackson dies?

Yes.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I really enjoyed it, it was nice to see Captain America really fight like in the comics. I liked the reference to Doctor Strange, it makes sense given that they are going to make a movie about him

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Oasx posted:

I really enjoyed it, it was nice to see Captain America really fight like in the comics. I liked the reference to Doctor Strange, it makes sense given that they are going to make a movie about him

Honestly, for a while I was confused by the reference, since in theory at this point he would be nothing more than a mere surgeon. But than I realised, even if that were the case, that A) the bad guys know their mystic energy sources actually pretty well, and B) Have gone all pseudo-omniscient due to the digital era. They could easily realise there's something off about him and want to nip things in the bud.

rakovsky maybe
Nov 4, 2008
Great, I can smell another "the enemy was the rich militarist/businessman/white guy all along" film. Will America ever stop flagellating itself?

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

rakovsky maybe posted:

Great, I can smell another "the enemy was the rich militarist/businessman/white guy all along" film. Will America ever stop flagellating itself?

I'm assuming that the fairly scathing criticism of what 'America' is or represents was intentional here.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
I loved the long fighting scenes. The sound design is all over the place though.

strangeneighbor
Feb 13, 2014

Oasx posted:

I missed this as I'm not familiar with Doctor Strange. What was the reference?

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I liked the choice of costume(s) for Cap, the one he had in the Avengers looked a little goofy.

strangeneighbor posted:

I missed this as I'm not familiar with Doctor Strange. What was the reference?

They mentioned taking out several targets that could be trouble in the future, besides Bruce Banner (Hulk), they mention Stephen Strange

chazzared
Dec 4, 2006
Just got back from seeing this. Easily my favourite Marvel movie so far, as all the Phase 2 movies seem to be. Falcon was surprisingly awesome.

Thinking back on the plot of Iron Man 1 (which I loved) in comparison to this, it seems like a fairly safe and by-the-numbers comic book movie. The events of TWS have serious effects on the rest of the cinematic universe. I am really excited to see where this risk-taking leads us.

More knee-jerk reactions:

Peggy's fate was really depressing. I didn't need a super-powered remake of The Notebook, but it was totally right for the mood and themes of the film.

HYDRA killing Howard Stark was a bit of a bombshell. It's a shame we're not seeing Tony again until Age of Ultron. It would be interesting to see his response to that information.

Fury shooting Pierce in the heart was stone loving cold. In fact, Fury in general in this movie was SLJ at peak badass. Like 1995-era badass.

I knew about Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch before I went into the movie, but I didn't know the staff would show up. Isn't it powered by the Tesseract? Shouldn't it be just a lump of metal?

EDIT: One final thing. gently caress Jasper Sitwell.

chazzared fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Mar 27, 2014

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

chazzared posted:

Just got back from seeing this. Easily my favourite Marvel movie so far, as all the Phase 2 movies seem to be. Falcon was surprisingly awesome.

Thinking back on the plot of Iron Man 1 (which I loved) in comparison to this, it seems like a fairly safe and by-the-numbers comic book movie. The events of TWS have serious effects on the rest of the cinematic universe. I am really excited to see where this risk-taking leads us.

More knee-jerk reactions:

Peggy's fate was really depressing. I didn't need a super-powered remake of The Notebook, but it was totally right for the mood and themes of the film.

HYDRA killing Howard Stark was a bit of a bombshell. It's a shame we're not seeing Tony again until Age of Ultron. It would be interesting to see his response to that information.

Fury shooting Pierce in the heart was stone loving cold. In fact, Fury in general in this movie was SLJ at peak badass. Like 1995-era badass.

I knew about Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch before I went into the movie, but I didn't know the staff would show up. Isn't it powered by the Tesseract? Shouldn't it be just a lump of metal?

Pretty much, where Iron Man 3 is actually fairly low key and limited to Tony's world, and Thor the Dark World delved in universe threatening plots that the average man would never know, the Winter Soldier really does change the status quo of Earth for the rest of the films from here on out.

Honestly, the whole thing with HYDRA is a pretty drat well executed retcon if I ever saw one, taking the fate of a character that pretty much everyone wrote off and turning it into something massive. It really does change the light in which you have to see the earlier films, especially Iron Man 2. How much was SHIELD genuinely trying to do the job Howard founded it for, and how much was it HYDRA prepping for their ultimate scheme? The efforts to go after the Hulk and the Iron Man suit may have been efforts to remove anomalous pieces outside of their control that could unravel their entire plan.

As for the staff, its got some degree of related control/energies, but there's nothing that actually says they're strictly tied together or one and the same. Even if they were, HYDRA understands the cube's energies enough to likely reignite tech based on it.

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde
This film was very enjoyable. Disney are doing an absolutely fantasic job with phase 2, with this film being an improvement on the first Captain America in every way.

I quite liked that the list of things to catch up on, is customised for every country. In the UK edition I certainly spotted "World Cup (1966)" as one of the items and the idea that some random Brit had told the Captain that was a moment he HAD to see, made me laugh pretty hard. Also, at the midnight showing I saw, I was the only one to laugh when I saw Fury's gravestone. It's a fun little reference and I had to explain to my friends about it afterwards.

I saw it at a double bill with the first one, which was something that I found a bit confusing, rather than showing the Avengers but when it turns out that HYDRA are behind SHIELD, the choice made perfect sense. I honestly didnt see that twist coming, and when Zola's face appeared on the screen it all made sense and I think that element of the film really works as the second part in Captain America's story. I like that the HYDRA plotline hasnt been discarded after the original film and the organisation has evolved into a totally new type of threat. Its quite refreshing to see a antagonistic force last for more than one film in the MCU. Loki has proven that a reccuring antagonist works and this expanded upon that concept for me. All That said, my only complaint with the film is that the plot regarding the titular Winter Soldier is left unresolved. I am guessing that this will lead up to the death of Steve Rodgers in the third film and have Bucky take up the Captain America mantle like in the comics. It just struck me as odd though that the plot didnt revolve around him a bit more.

I cant wait for the Avengers: AOU now!

FiftySeven fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Mar 27, 2014

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

FiftySeven posted:

I saw it at a double bill with the first one, which was something that I found a bit confusing, rather than showing the Avengers but when it turns out that Hydra are behind SHIELD, the choice made perfect sense. I honestly didnt see that twist coming, and when Zola's face appeared on the screen it all made sense and I think that element of the film really works as the second part in Captain America's story.[/spoiler]

I realise now that Zola's face on the big screen is in fact a reference to his usual villain appearance, complete with camera over his head. As to HYDRA's relation with SHIELD though, its more that it infected the idea that Howard and Peggy came up with all those years ago, because - as the movie makes a theme of - they placed their trust in the wrong person. Zola used his new found influence to indoctrinate a new generation of HYDRA to his cause and gain resources, whilst supposedly helping the good guys build a better world (how else did he get time out from talking with Philips to pick up Bucky?). Definitely right though in how it was nice to see that the group in general was kept around. Before that scene, I kept figuring it was gonna be something like out of the comics where it was the Russians, or that it'd be some new villain for the film, again like with Iron Man 3 or Thor the Dark World. But nope, they messed with expectations and drat well delivered.

Fuckin' Arnim Zola.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

chazzared posted:

iirc it was powered by a different stone

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Uncle Wemus posted:

So Sam Jackson dies?
Yes and no and then not quite.

Oasx posted:

I liked the choice of costume(s) for Cap, the one he had in the Avengers looked a little goofy.
The Marvel Studios films have a fondness for giving characters multiple costumes in the same film. Thor, for some reason, has magic disappearing sleeves. I actually prefer Cap's new costume.

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Mar 27, 2014

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

chazzared posted:

I knew about Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch before I went into the movie, but I didn't know the staff would show up. Isn't it powered by the Tesseract? Shouldn't it be just a lump of metal? [/spoiler]
It's a Chitauri device that they gave Loki so that he could steal the Tesseract from SHIELD.

Shards of Fate
Apr 19, 2002

They look like monsters to you?
This was a really well put together movie. Loved every moment of it. Including the two end credit scenes. It's up to Guardians now to set Avengers 2 in motion.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
Very much enjoyed it. First Marvel film I've seen in the cinema too! Spoilers abound.

Cap's new costume is very good, the muted colours work well, but that said, I did love how he went into the museum and stole his WWII era costume. Bonus points for the best Stan Lee cameo to date..

Cap and Natasha's idle small talk throughout what should be tense scenes made me smile. I also appreciate they didn't put a love interest between the two in there..

I wasn't expecting to see so much SLJ but I came away very happy. Also Maria Hill. :toot:

Would have been really nice to see Fury's Helicarrier fly in to the rescue at the climax of the movie. Proper Battlestar Pegasus style. Even if the Insight carriers severely outclass it.

stoops
Jun 11, 2001
Saw it last night and it was really great. The over 2 hour film went by fast.

My question to the people who saw it: Did you read the inscription on the tombstone?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Astro Nut posted:

Apparently, the upcoming run of episodes is gonna be dealing with the aftermath of the film. Guess something like the team becoming their own individual force, or potentially Fury's remaining asset as he hangs out in Europe. Either way, Agent 13 is gonna appear.

I wouldn't be surprised if they've been spinning their wheels till this movie came out and they could really go to town. Perhaps they'll be Stark-sponsored with Maria as their handler?

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I think Scarlett Johansson was pretty good in the movie also, and it was nice seeing her use the Widow's Bite.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
To those that have seen this where does it fall in ranking of all Marvel movies so far?

radlum
May 13, 2013
Can someone spoil me if there's a chance we'll see the Winter Soldier again? I'd like to see if there's a chance they are taking the comics route or doing something different.

Grey Area
Sep 9, 2000
Battle Without Honor or Humanity

Baron Bifford posted:

Like the other movies, this film had a mid-credits stinger, which I will spoiler:
You should mention that there is also a final post-credits stinger in this movie like in Thor 2. I missed it, but the internet says that the Winter Soldier sneaks into the museum Cap went to and looks at the presentation about Bucky. Presumably he remembers now.

radlum posted:

Can someone spoil me if there's a chance we'll see the Winter Soldier again? I'd like to see if there's a chance they are taking the comics route or doing something different.
Yes, see my other spoiler.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Well I thought it was a big bunch of bullshit. It's just politically infantile, essentially arguing that we just need the right kind of black ops authoritarian military organisation running our lives. SHIELD vs HYDRA is just two brands of fascism competing against each other. The only reason HYDRA are the villains is because they're literal Nazis as opposed to just the 'regular' fascism of SHIELD.

Also as I mentioned in the Gen Chat thread they totally rip off Metal Gear Solid with the whole superintelligent AI from the 70s that's controlling the flow of the world's information

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I think you cheapen the term "facism".

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

PaganGoatPants posted:

To those that have seen this where does it fall in ranking of all Marvel movies so far?

One of the best i would say, but it is hard to compare them, this one is a bit more serious than the other Marvel movies.

radlum posted:

The actor signed a nine picture deal, so the character will definitely be back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth

PaganGoatPants posted:

My ranking so far :

Thor
Cap 2
Iron Man 2
Thor 2
Iron Man
Avengers
Cap
Iron Man 3
Hulk

I liked it so much that I want to go see it again in 2D

• Locked thread