Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The movie is definitely political, and that is not a bad thing at all. I mean, the plot revolves around the bad guys doing some stuff the US government is doing now. Natasha even does something similar to Edward Snowden but she gets away with it because she helped save the world. Although it is funny that it sounds like a Godwin argument: You know who taps phones and trespass international borders? Nazis (or a Nazi offshoot)!.

I also don't think they are just trading one form of fascism for another at the end. Avengers reacts to things, they don't go wiretapping phones and killing people who are considered potentially dangerous.

As for the rest of the movie, it seems more and more that Whedon might be the weakest director Marvel has. This movie had directors who worked on sitcoms and they could make action scenes that look way better. There were some pretty good emotional character moments too like Steve visiting an old Peggy and him going to the Smithsonian. Although I do agree that some elements of the movie seems like it's meant to set up Phase 3 films.

The mention of Stephen Strange almost too casually makes me wonder who he is in the movie universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Arnim Zola's appearance in this movie is both less ridiculous than in the comics and yet still completely nuts in a way typical of comic books (or 1950s scifi).

Regarding the midcredits scene, did anyone else think of River Tam when they saw Scarlet Witch? I mean, Whedon did direct it after all.

Slaapaav posted:

I read some comics from 1960 something and Black Widow is a full grown woman in them. HOW OLD IS SHE???
Marvel has a sliding timeline, so characters stay mostly the same age no matter when their book gets published. At the same time, Black Widow in the comics also took something that slowed her aging

DeathChicken posted:

Same way Frank Castle is probably somewhere in his 40s but served in Nam. "Magic."
I think he's a Gulf War veteran in current comics.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Party Boat posted:

Is the Winter Soldier's hair-curtains-and-stubble combo what he looks like in the comics? It kept reminding me of Matt Berry, who would have brought something very different to the role:

This is how he usually looks:

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

edit: ^^^ What he said. ^^^

Waterhaul posted:

My point was Bucky doesn't work for the Soviet Union in the films but still has a Soviet Star on him because that's what he looks like in the comics. Hydra are never shown to have any connections to Russia in the film and SHIELD seem to be strictly a US organisation corrupted by Zola and other Super Nazi's

I think the flashback showed that Russians found Bucky after he fell off the train. It's possible that Hydra acquired him some time during the Cold War. If they infiltrated SHIELD, they might have agents within the Soviet Union as well.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I don't know about you guys, but I think the mid-credits scene might be an Insane Clown Posse song reference.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Baron Bifford posted:

Why would an American living in America get recommended French pop culture by fellow Americans? I wonder what the Chinese list looks like.

Probably not going to find Tienanmen Square on that list. "Nanking" probably is, though.

Now I want to know the Japanese list as well.

aBagorn posted:

France owns. I would love to see Cap's reaction to this.

It would certainly prepare him for meeting the Guardians of The Galaxy characters, and maybe Avengers 3 in general.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

turtlecrunch posted:

I disliked one really stupid scene where the Hydra scientist captured by Cap&Co has been uploaded into a 1950s computer for some reason, makes a flimsy exposition dump about how SHIELD is Hydra now, then allows himself to die to a missile because HEIL HYDRA :shepface:. Not just a sloppy exposition but also a bad rendition of the character, who in Cap1 was perhaps the most skeptical member of Hydra.

He sacrificed himself in an effort to kill Steve and Natasha, the biggest threat to their operations now that they thought Fury is dead. Zola had done his job at that point, so he probably thinks that it was his final contribution to Hydra. He also looks like this in the comics: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arnim_Zola

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

OldTennisCourt posted:

Actually, hasen't Chris Evans also stated he's getting tired of being Cap? That would be a good way to kill his Cap off and then introduce Bucky-Cap.

Chris Evans said he will finish his 6-movie contract. That would cover 3 Captain America movies and 3 Avengers.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Toplowtech posted:

Yes but Sebastian Stan has now a 9-Picture Marvel deal.

That just means that Sebastian Stan will likely be in movies after Avengers 3 unlike Chris Evans.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Cap has always been political in the comics. He was portrayed as being against the McCarthy-era anti-Communist paranoia as soon as he was thawed. One storyline had Nixon as the villain (even though he was revealed to be a fake Nixon, I think) and he was disillusioned with American government more than once.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Bruceski posted:

Nah, most of us are harmless. Talk a big game but don't back it up.

You forget that this is a Marvel universe. One day a Kree chemical container might fall from the sky and suddenly Supermechagodzilla is an actual supermechagodzilla.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I really want to see the scene where the Helicarriers are targetting people again. There have got to be a lot of names shown there in a split second.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Phylodox posted:

I wonder if they'll change the name to Agents of ???[/i]

Agents of HATE?

Not everything in the movies and show happens at the same time, of course. They had a Thor 2 crossover a few months ago and a Cap 2 crossover right now.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Yoshifan823 posted:

Are they ever gonna actually do anything interesting with him? It's a waste of Renner to have him show up for 3 minutes in Thor and spend half of his time in Avengers under mind control.

Kevin Feige said him and Hulk will get the spotlight in Avengers 2. Makes sense since they don't have their own movies, and I think Hawkeye was involved with Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch joining Avengers in the comics.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Charlz Guybon posted:

I haven't read that story. But I think it's important to Cap's story that he chooses to knowingly take the risks of experimental science and become Captain America. Being a victim of an unethical racist experiments that just happened to turn out well completely changes who he is.

If you're going to make Cap an African-American he has to choose to become him despite knowing the risks.

Black Captain America is actually a separate character from Steve Rogers. Rogers did not know about about the test subjects before him.

Bucky had his backstory retconned too in the comics, as I recall. He was apparently trained to secretly perform tasks someone like Rogers would never agree to.

Recent comics basically made Captain America a good upstanding symbol of all that is good with humanity, while surrounding him with a lot of things that are wrong with humanity in general.

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Apr 8, 2014

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Cap's notebook list from around the world.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

If Marvel can hire James Gunn, they can make Neveldine and Taylor direct another Marvel movie.

edit:

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Baron Bifford posted:

In the movies, only Spider-Man can keep his identity secret.

Using Mephisto is cheating.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I think there was also Punisher killing Banner in that story where he kills every major Marvel character. He put a tracking device on Hulk and used it to find Banner. He kills Banner who was probably exhausted right after unhulking.

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Apr 10, 2014

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Once you start reading CineD, you will realise there are no true 'mindless' entertainment. Not even Chainsaw Scumfuck.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

We can even make Weaving play an entirely different character, like Baron Zemo or Ghost Rider.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Iron Man 3's end credit is also good because it gave us "Iron Man Three" and that wouldn't have worked at the beginning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Wade Wilson posted:

In-movie-universe, that's how we ended up with Blonsky's Abomination in the Ed Norton Hulk movie.

It's kinda how we got Hulk as well.

• Locked thread