Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Saw this movie in Korea and Ji Su Park and Oldboy were on it.

Now Oldboy I can definitely see having resonance for Cap since his being frozen for 70 years could be considered analagous to the main character of Oldboy being locked away from society for years, but why would Rogers give a flying gently caress about Ji Su Park (soccer star). Should have Gangnam Style or something instead.

Anyway, about the movie.

This may be the best Marvel movie yet, if not it is tied with the original Ironman in my opinion.

The action is great, with some of the best acrobatics I've ever seen. The plot has surprising political depth for a superhero movie. This is what the Marvel Civil War should have been.

I really like how everything wasn't reset at the end of the movie. With Black Widow's disclosure SHIELD is through and Fury is living off the grid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Away all Goats posted:

Those things on his list are things other people recommended to Cap to check out, not what Cap thought would be interesting.

I'm pretty sure Koreans are self aware enough to understand that he's not going to care about Ji Su Park. The average Korean are certainly much more likely to bring up music in a casual conversation than sports.

On another note, how can Black Widow be an ex-Soveit agent if she was born in 1984? Was she shanking dudes at age 6?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Slaapaav posted:

I read some comics from 1960 something and Black Widow is a full grown woman in them. HOW OLD IS SHE???

Yeah, but they explicitly said in this movie that she was born in 1984 and they say she worked for the KGB. Unless the USSR hung on for another ten years in this timeline than it doesn't add up.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

FelixReynolds posted:

That's a big part of what I was wondering- if the information that was being used as the base for the 1984 DOB was just part of her cover, and that the big finale now had all her actual info out in the open. Am just really curious how much they follow the usual Widow story which is that she's nearly the same age as Cap (maybe even actually trained with/under the Winter Soldier too) and has just been keeping it all a much better secret.

As has been pointed out though, would be really odd if that 1984 date wasn't incorrect or a red herring, as the Adventures of Teen ScarJo as a KGB agent might not be the blockbuster hit Disney envisions...

Teen ScarJo? She was seven when the USSR fell if that birth date is right.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Waterhaul posted:

Black Widow has pretty much the same forumla in her that keeps Fury young she's actually in her 80s. Punisher is literally an Angel of Death who has been reborn multiple times. Because comics.

None of it makes sense. It's the same way that Bucky has an Russian Star on his shoulder because he's the "Winter Solider" and Russia's ultimate weapon during the Cold War (in the comics) but in the film Natasha says that she fought against him when realistically she should have been fighting with him.

That would depend on when she defected though and also assumes there weren't clashing factions within the Soviet Union.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Waterhaul posted:

That part just seems weird then. Russia got this ultimate solider who is able to kill anything, until the film happens, they give him a metal arm and then just sell him off to Hydra with a note of "please remember to continually freeze and mindwipe him to keep him under your control". I get what you're saying but everything about Hydra in the film just seems ridiculously over complicated and messy. Though to be fair I also think Johansson is a terrible Black Widow and hate the stuff they do with the character.

Saw the movie a 2nd time and she said she fought the winter soldier five years ago. Presumably she was with SHIELD by then.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Another thing I just thought of. Zola knew about Fury's death, so he's got to have had access to the internet. He's definitely got backups out there. I wonder if he'll be involved in the origin of Ultron here?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Baron Bifford posted:

This sounds more like Captain Republican to me.

I don't see how it aligns with either modern political parties.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Yawgmoft posted:

Is it just me, or did Cap basically send a lot of people to their deaths for no gain? "HYDRA is here, stay down" was all well and good, but everyone that chose to try and fight back died for no reason. Guards got shot, crews got mowed down, and the pilot brigade all got wiped out and none of them accomplished anything. Seems like a pretty bad call on Cap's part.

All the enemies who had to spend time fighting loyal shield members were enemies who were not trying to stop Cap, Falcon, Black Widow and Agent Hill. The last was especially vulnerable. It was a good diversion of enemy resources.

Charlz Guybon fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Apr 4, 2014

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

Marvel films have been with fire breathing flame people,

Another viewing should help me appreciate what it was trying to do. That, and the unwatchable action

Flame people? Am I forgetting something obvious?

I'm not sure if it was the theater. The action was very frenetic with a lot of quick cuts. I loved it, but I understand if not everyone likes that style.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

turtlecrunch posted:

I disliked that everyone who isn't Cap seems to get up from their injuries with no real issue, which is very Hollywood but not in keeping with the idea that Cap is a "perfect soldier"...he's the only one who ever seems to be in any pain at all!

Fury and Natasha both get shot and almost die. Tons of loyal Shield members are killed.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

turtlecrunch posted:

The best example of his super-humanity was when the missile hit and he was groaning but up and about, while Natasha was unconscious, the second-best was that he was eventually able to get up and do Cap stuff after he was shot. However, he then passed out again after getting punched a few times by WS's metal arm. I think all the Cap stuff was fine and Chris Evans was great.\
How about when he jumped out of the elevator and fell at least 20 stories on to pavement. He got a pretty incredolous "Are you kidding me!" from Jasper after he got up and trotted off.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

The MSJ posted:

He sacrificed himself in an effort to kill Steve and Natasha, the biggest threat to their operations now that they thought Fury is dead. Zola had done his job at that point, so he probably thinks that it was his final contribution to Hydra. He also looks like this in the comics: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arnim_Zola

He probably has a backup somewhere. How would he know Fury is "dead" if he didn't have access to the internet?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Vishass posted:

Kind of wish the post credits scene was Hawkeye sitting on his couch with pizza dog watching all the Buffy the vampire slayer DVDs and we pan over to his answering machine and it has like 50 missed calls
Eh, it's the marvel universe, I'm gonna give him the benifit of the doubt. He and Stark were probably busy saving the world from a completely unrelated crisis.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Blazing Ownager posted:

Am I the only one that thinks Iron Man 2 is bar none, absolutely the bottom of the bunch? I thought that was near universal opinion.

It felt like an extended Avengers trailer with a completely incoherent plot.

I agree with you. IM2 was the worst of the MCU films

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

The_Rob posted:

So gratuitous murder is alright because it's a soldier? You don't see anything kind of wrong with that? Again not to mention that for such a violent film getting a view of the actual consequences is non existent. I mean I guess that's a bigger problem with pg 13 movies in general.

Superman has the luxury of being so powerful that he can stop human enemies without killing them. Cap doesn't have that luxury.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

raditts posted:

Didn't Captain America fans poo poo their pants way back when they did that storyline of a black Captain America created from the Tuskeegee experiments? I remember reading that in a magazine at the time.

I haven't read that story. But I think it's important to Cap's story that he chooses to knowingly take the risks of experimental science and become Captain America. Being a victim of an unethical racist experiments that just happened to turn out well completely changes who he is.

If you're going to make Cap an African-American he has to choose to become him despite knowing the risks.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Baron Bifford posted:

Am I the only one on the planet who thinks Iron Man 3 was great?

I thought it was a big step up from IM2, so mixed rather than bad.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

al-azad posted:

As an aside, almost no one caught the Pulp Fiction reference at the end. My friend and I burst out laughing and even after the credits the guy sitting behind me asked "Why were you laughing at that scene?"

Doesn't Pierce quote it as well when talking to Cap? After he tells the story of how Fury rescued his daughter he said "He truly was his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children."

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

AtraMorS posted:

He didn't quote it I don't think but I caught that too.

But now Fury's just going to walk the Earth. You know, like Caine in Kung Fu.

That line is part of Jules bible verse, how is it not a quote?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Cardboard Box A posted:

Cap and crew probably figured that since Falcon was black everyone would assume he wasn't HYDRA.

Not the best assumption, sure, but one they might make.

Also I presume that's why they used that specific section of the film where the cops get themselves killed by running the intersection rather than showing Fury gunning them down by the dozens moments before.

There were definitely several black hydra members, and Cap fought one in the elevator IIRC.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Alan Smithee posted:

Can someone explain the Algerian mercenary on the ship? How the hell did he even stand a chance against Capn was he a supersoldier?

To be fair they weren't necessarily Hydra right? They could have just been SHIELD members following orders.
You also see one guarding the Winter Soldier when Pierce comes for a look.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Yvonmukluk posted:

Hey man, he was getting caught up on Dog Cops, give him a break.

I keep seeing this, what is this a reference to?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
So, President Ellis has been having a rough term. First his VP commits treason and tries to have him assassinated and then HYDRA nearly pulls off a coup and was seconds away from killing millions. Thousands of people were killed in fighting between HYDRA and SHIELD loyalists. SHEILD was so compromised it's been disbanded and all of it's intelligence was dumped on the internet.

That's not even counting the alien invasion of NYC. Was SHIELD's nuke attempt common knowledge? (I can't remember). If not it is now.

Congressional committees calling in Black Widow to testify are going to be less about the state of American intelligence and more about covering their own assess and blaming someone else in power for the debacle. I'd be surprised if the opposition didn't try to impeach the President. Of course, given how long HYDRA has been growing inside SHIELD both parties are guilty of lax oversight. This is complicated by Senator Stern, whichever party he's affiliated with is going to take a big hit. He's from Pennsylvania so he could be a Republican or Democrat, I don't recall it being specified.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Everyone talks about "New York" in hushed tones, so is that Marvel's "9/11"? If so, why is the war in Afghanistan already ongoing back in Iron Man 1? Hitler exists in the canon, but there's apparently no Osama Bin Laden - he's been replaced with The Mandarin. Hugo Chavez gets a cameo appearance in Zola's monologue, as a puppet dictator set up by Hydra to 'cause chaos', so he's real - but also fictionalized?

9/11 probably happened, but I'm pretty sure the alien invasion of Manhattan we saw in Avengers would overshadow that in popular imagination.

EDIT: Does the MCU have a Department of Homeland Security? I don't recall it being name dropped but I could of missed it. I think SHIELD is that universes DHS and it was founded in the 50s.

Charlz Guybon fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Apr 13, 2014

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

I'm working with what they give me. The entire Marvelverse centers around an organization that's part of - or is - the Department of Homeland Security, yet 9/11 is never mentioned.

There's no '9/11' on Captain America's 'list of important poo poo that happened after WWII.'

This is a telling omission, like the fact that children are invisible to Iron Man's targeting software. If the DHS in this universe predates 9/11, why wasn't it able to prevent 9/11? Is the implication that Hydra did 9/11? Or, did 9/11 not happen at all?

Real-world political figure Hugo Chavez is revealed, in Zola's monologue, to be a Hydra puppet designed to (somehow) spread terrifying chaos. If there's any 9/11 imagery in his expository montage, however, I missed it. The film stops short of saying Jews did 9/11 - but why? It says Jews did the Cold War, so it's not like they have too much tact.

If there are multiple terrorist organizations vying for control of Afghanistan, then they must be in conflict with each-other, or allies. Is The Mandarin a friend of Al Qaeda, or something else?

We know Red Skull's relationship to Hitler. They make the specific point that he is against Hitler, even an anti-fascist. Imagine if The First Avenger still took place in WWII but never mentioned the axis nations - no mention of Hitler, or even of Nazism. It would change the meaning of the film entirely, making Red Skull a mere decaf Nazi and removing the point of the twist ending.

The MCU is a massive multimedia work about the War On Terror, and yet 9/11 doesn't 'fit' into its ideological universe. It's the unspoken thing they keep circling around, but refusing to touch.
SHEILD probably wasn't able to stop 9/11 because of the same reasons that the CIA and FBI weren't able to stop it in real life. Incompetence, lack of translators and other resources and plain bad luck. I suppose one could theorize that SHIELD agents uncovered the plot, but they happened to be HYDRA moles so let it happen because they knew it would ramp up tensions.

Saying HYRDA was behind the Cold War or the War on Terror is going way beyond the evidence offered. HYDRA inflamed tensions, but they aren't the root cause of them. They let some bad things happen they could have stopped, they assassinate a few people and blow up a few buildings, that doesn't make them masters of the universe.

Just because the Red Skull was against Hitler doesn't make him an antifascist. Mao was against Khrushchev, does that make him an anticommunist?

Charlz Guybon fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Apr 13, 2014

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Conspiracy theories tend to center around the figure of 'the Jew', an amorphous enemy with multiple guises. 'Reptilian shapeshifters', 'the Illuminati' and/or 'satanists' are 'Jews' by another name, always playing the same role in the conspiracy narrative.

(See also the popular conviction that Obama is a secret Muslim who engages in depraved secret blood rituals, indicated by whether he's not wearing a flag pin or whatever. To Islamophobes, 'the Muslim' fills the same role as 'the Jew'.)

The infamous Loose Change, for example, contains references to antisemetic literature - despite making more generalized accusations about who 'did' 9/11.

Hydra in Captain America 1 is extremely different from what we see in Captain America 2. Red Skull is working openly to promote global capitalism, and there's not really a conspiracy there. It's in Cap 2 that Hydra 'infects' everything, spreading like vermin to deliberately undermine us.

The problem with conspiracy theories is not that conspiracies don't happen in real life; they occasionally do. The problem is the fixation on 'the Jew' as the cause of all evil, as opposed to the evil itself. As pointed out before, Stark does all the same evil poo poo as Hydra, but is cleared by this film because he does it 'accidentally' - he's not a blood-drinking reptilian, so he's ok. Conspiracy theorists do not understand that it is the inherent flaws in the system that cause chaos, not a handful of rat-people.

That's why it's important to understand that Stark is Hydra. If a film says that Stark isn't Hydra, it's essentially lying to you.
This is so very ironic because global capitalism holds that same position in your own world view.

How about throwing out some proof that the Red Skull was "openly promoting global capitalism". It should be easy enough to quote him saying so or pointing us to scenes where this is shown. In reality he's just a totalitarian tyrant with the same nihilistic and technocratic tendencies held by so many comic book villains.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

It's a counter-joke to the one in Iron Man, where Coulson reads out the organization's entire convoluted name and Pepper complains about how incomprehensibly bureaucratic it is.

Later, instead of clearing up the obfuscatory buzzword nonsense, Coulson merely turns it into a catchy and marketable acronym: SHIELD! - It's a direct reference to the USA PATRIOT Act.

The joke is that nobody knows or cares what the name means, and that its meaning is even deliberately obscured by the so-called heroes. SHIELD in general plays a very obscure role in the series. Like other folks have asked: what do they mean by 'Homeland' if the agency is global in scope? What do these words mean? Instead of clarifying things and making them understandable to people like Pepper, Coulson's goal is to bamboozle and deceive.

Altering the title from 'USA PATRIOT' to 'SUA PATROIT' destroys the stupid acronym while retaining the grammar of the full text: 'Strengthening and Uniting America by Providing Appropriate Tools Required to Obstruct and Intercept Terrorism.' The point is to promote actual reading and interpretation.

The Iron Man films are satires, so this was already the point. They're essentially Robocop remakes, not unlike the official one. The problem is that they're also totally weaksauce; the Elf guy is no Paul Verhoeven. Stark and SHIELD's marketing techniques work flawlessly, and everyone accepts that Coulson and Tony are Good Guys. Y'know how everyone praised the lightweight and uncomplicated fun of Iron Man 1, with its dozens of brown people getting shot in the head? They were so glad that its tale of ethnic cleansing and brutal capitalist exploitation was not 'grimdark'.
The film is actually smart enough to hint that Stalin's Russia wasn't communist enough. Remember that Bucky is the proletariat, and victimized by Stalin as well. Communism does not mean excusing the Soviet Union for its profound failures.

I agree with Zizek that Stalin is 'worse than Hitler.' This goes back to the point that Darth Vader hates the corrupt and incompetent Imperials, not hesitating to kill those who stand in his way. The Empire is evil, but Darth Vader is 'beyond good and evil.'

HYDRA wants control, not just of the government and the military, but of everything that it can manage. If the Zola algorithm is half as capable as claimed I fully expect them to purge the entire capitalist class, sieze control of the means of production and run the world economy with AI.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Feenix posted:

I've had my fair share of rolled eyes reading the college film class circle jerks that movie threads devolve into (usually with SMG and someone else going back and forth while everyone else throws their cards on the table, folds and just leans back in their chair to rest their eyes...) but regardless, my more nebulous question here is:

To have these discussions in earnest, the folks carrying on have to make the assumption that all these action scenes with hidden subtext, all these allegories for blah blah blah were something some writer/director intentionally concocted.

I just don't buy that the people making Cap2 were that scholarly. Every movie isn't made by some socio-political savant.

I wholly reject that notion.

If what you're saying is that your opinion can be laid with this narrative, I can respect that.

Just don't try to tell me that summer blockbusters are like a 10-layer lasagna of subtext. :)

I don't agree with SMG's interpretation, but you're quite wrong in believing that subtext has to be intentional. Most works of art, especially film and literature have subtext and meaning that was not consciously intended by the author.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Snak posted:

I actually got really excited because I have that USB hub...

Hydra agent spotted!

• Locked thread